Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: resolution problems in portable-mame pi v2.0  (Read 3293 times)

aldub516

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 29, 2018, 03:32:46 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
resolution problems in portable-mame pi v2.0
« on: November 05, 2015, 03:53:41 pm »
First off, this program is a dream for what im trying to achieve, which is a dedicated game back up to boot right into rom mod. Anways, im building a mini arcade, using a sainsmart 10.1" tft lcd 1024x576 screen. It seems im having a lot of trouble getting both my pi, and the front end to display properly. The main menu comes up huge on my screen. Ive toyed with disabling over scan in my config.txt, but it seems that the front end runs independent with its own settings. I am trying to get robotron, to run in perfect ratio, in the center of my screen. As a new pi user, can you please help with any advice on how correct my resolutions or screen sizes for both the pi and portable mame pi? I was originally able to set overscan right, and bottom to get the right screen size in rasbian/pi. But the portable mame pi runs on its own and the image is always huge. Im just lost as to what bounces off each other.. If the pi itself doesnt know its correct resolution, will mame be able to decipher what size to display at? I set run commands such as mame robotron -resolution xxxx << inserting multiple different resolutions. I cannot get even close to a nice size image centered on my screen.. when i plug into my regular big hdmi monitor it all looks great, but my whole pi resolution is off. Even when im in command line terminal, i cant see the bottom of the screen/list

obcd

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 03, 2019, 11:44:36 am
Re: resolution problems in portable-mame pi v2.0
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2015, 05:59:06 pm »
How is your tft connected? Is it a composite video screen or a hdmi screen?
The resolution of that screen is very odd.
It wouldn't suprise me that portable mame pi will assume it's 1024 * 768.
This would also explain why you miss part of your screen in command line terminal.
If portable mame uses opengl es in full screen mode, it will ignore the settings in config.txt.

aldub516

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2015, 06:25:51 pm »
the screen is connected via hdmi.. and that resolution is what it says on the package as well as online so im just going by that.. The thing is, using the config.txt, i can edit certain things and get my screen looking good when its in the terminal command line, or when in regular rasbian or anything pi based.. its portable mame-pi that seems to not adjust to the small screen. When i plug into my 32 inch lcd, it looks great! The game shows up 4:3 in the middle of the screen, rotates nicely, and done. But i cant seem to adjust the screen properly at all.. certainly not centered if i even get close to a proper size. Im just lost as far as figuring out if its a problem on the pi level settings, or the front end/mame settings, or what. Its really halting my progress. ive changed the frame buffer size to the monitors resolution in /boot/config.txt.. ive changed the bottom and right overscan values, ive set mame to run "mame robotron -resolution xxxx"..Ive played with a lot of things but nothing is getting portable mame-pi/mame4all to run properly on this screen :(

aldub516

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2015, 06:35:03 pm »
yea, that coupled with my new learning on pi, i just dont know how to search various folders to look for any settings. I know the ls commands and such, and have found mame.cfg to be editable but not for my uses.. i found default.cfg which is just full of weird symbols.. If it does run off of open el or whatever you said, would i be able to find a cfg file for that somewhere?