Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Need help with RetroPie and GPWiz40 board  (Read 2734 times)

generatorlabs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2015, 07:31:11 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Need help with RetroPie and GPWiz40 board
« on: November 03, 2015, 09:14:07 pm »
This is my first real attempt to do emulation with Linux via a low cost platform like the Raspberry Pi2.
I downloaded and mounted the latest RetroPie image.
Since I am not totally savvy with command line lingo I also loaded the StartX GUI.
This also lead me to load JTEST to help aid me in troubleshooting joystick problems.
I am not very proficient in Linux so these simple tasks were a major breakthrough for me.

So here is where I am at:
Emulation Station will recognize button presses but will not recognize joystick movement.
JTEST (via GUI) verifies that joystick and all buttons are working.
Analog joystick values read 0 to 127 to 256 as the axis is swept back and forth.
If I calibrate the axis' then the values go from -32000 to 0 to +32000.
Either way Emulation station does not see the joystick.
Was the choice of the GPWiz suitable for this project or should I use something else?
I read some others have used button inputs for digital joysticks inputs but that does not really solve the problem for me.
I really want to try and understand what is going on behind the scenes so I can be more effective at troubleshooting problems in the future.

I sent Randy from GGG an email yesterday night but did not get any response the following day so I am reaching out to you kind folks for some guidance.

Thanks for any help.