Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: How to Route a Nintendo Speaker Grill  (Read 9089 times)

johnrt

• Trade Count: (0)
How to Route a Nintendo Speaker Grill
« on: November 03, 2015, 05:05:45 pm »
I like to share how I did my Nintendo speaker grill using only a router. You CNC guys can stop reading this and instead follow this link.

The build thread:
Donkey Kong Replica: Scratch build using Gaetan's plans

What I used was a DeWalt router and a 8mm straight router bit. Don't drill pilot holes!

The speaker grill in question is this one:

According to the plan the distance between each slot is 16mm. Adjusting the router manually will almost never be accurate enough, so I found this old kitchen side panel which was exactly 16mm thick:

From this I cut myself 6 spacers. The plan further is to add a spacer after each cut.

Then you have to make a jig. Make sure your speaker panel is well fastened to this jig. I screwed it from the back side. That way the screw holes is not visible from the front. Also screw some wood equally thick as your speaker panel to each side of the panel so the router can go smoothly back and forth over your speaker panel. This picture shows the first two cuts. Note the spacer.

Next cut, new spacer. And here you'll see another vital component for the jig. The little Lexan guide that is screwed to the jig makes it possible to move the router back and forth. It has to be something transparent for you to see the pencil marks. You will have to move this Lexan guide for each cut.

Another vital detail: Add something to prevent the router going more sideways than the width of the slot.

A routing tip: Don't plunge the router bit through the wood. Route back and forth while increasingly pushing the router downwards. Do a test run on some scrap wood.

It is very imortant that you screw a scrap piece of wood on the back side where the speaker grill will be. This srap piece will probably be the bottom of your jig. This is what happens if you don't do that:

The result:

I have also done this on another cab of mine (not that nice that one), please check it out:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142992.msg1494987.html#msg1494987
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 05:13:50 pm by johnrt »

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
Re: How to Route a Nintendo Speaker Grill
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 05:13:50 pm »
You CNC guys can stop reading this and instead follow this link.

:laugh2:

Well done John!   :notworthy:

winnydapoo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 07, 2022, 05:13:29 am
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 06:11:05 pm »
For what it's worth, anyone in Aus can grab one of these router bits from bunnings which are perfect for the job (they are 1mm-ish bigger than the 8mm John recommends though so factor that into your measurements) :

http://www.bunnings.com.au/diablo-3-8-x-1-router-panel-pilot-bit_p6370455

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 07, 2021, 02:52:06 pm
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2015, 01:17:48 pm »
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 03:59:50 am by ChanceKJ »

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2015, 02:55:13 pm »
   Looks as if you learned some of that the hard way, But nice job. 8)

taylormadelv

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 18, 2019, 05:46:59 pm
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2015, 07:36:46 pm »
Brilliant! Looks a nice!