Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: "DOOM'D!" -- A return to Super Turbo Turkey Puncher 3  (Read 126465 times)

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2024, 02:54:32 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
Re: "DOOM'D!" -- A return to Super Turbo Turkey Puncher 3
« Reply #480 on: July 23, 2013, 04:54:07 pm »
Can you make that last picture a little bigger please?   :dizzy:

Rick

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 01:16:55 pm
  • Bartop, Cocktail and Pinball Arcade Cabinets
    • Gameroom Designs Canada
« Reply #481 on: July 23, 2013, 04:57:16 pm »
Can you make that last picture a little bigger please?   :dizzy:

Something happened when I originally posted it. I edited the post, and that seems to have fixed it.

lukensteinz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 28, 2015, 04:30:25 am
Re: Re: "DOOM'D!" -- A return to Super Turbo Turkey Puncher 3
« Reply #482 on: July 23, 2013, 06:26:55 pm »

I am totally confused by posting pics of your build in another builder's build log for no obvious reason.  Doing it for, "hey I did it this way" or "see this to clarify my suggestion" is one thing...what's your thing?

Was only trying to inject some inspiration.
Doesn't seem needed at all, and now I regret my actions :-\

Wow that's looking awesome so far!

Sent from my LT26w using Tapatalk 2

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #483 on: July 23, 2013, 07:37:38 pm »
Wow that's looking awesome so far!

Thanks!

There are more than a few items I'm planning on changing - parts that ... just aren't lining up perfectly... ...and then, in turn, everything should fall into place a bit better. The rear interior seems to be really good, but yet, the outer door frame is wayyyyy out of square. (Like, 1/4" lower on one side, which is only 24" inches across to begin with.) So, I plan on replacing the door frame completely.

Look for more updates soon!

lukensteinz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 28, 2015, 04:30:25 am
« Reply #484 on: July 23, 2013, 08:24:54 pm »
That's no good mate.
Do you measure diagonally both ways to check squareness?
Honestly this is one of the cooler projects around.

Sent from my LT26w using Tapatalk 2

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #485 on: July 23, 2013, 10:03:23 pm »
It's looking awesome!

Tape off the inside of the plexiglass and rough it up with some fine sandpaper. You want it smooth, but foggy looking. When it has a foggy looking appearance, it should be scratched enough for paint to adhere to the surface. Paint the inside of the plexiglass with krylon fusion gloss black spray paint. The paint is made to adhere to plastic. Just follow the directions on the can. From the outside of the plexiglass, the appearance will look like the plastic on the face/rear of an iPhone 4/4S/5.

If you are worried about the light bleeding from a gap, find some 1/4 in foam or rubber insulating tape.

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #486 on: July 24, 2013, 03:50:11 pm »
That's no good mate.  Do you measure diagonally both ways to check squareness?

Normally, I employ the Pythagorean Theorem (3", 4", 5") to make sure everything is squared up. In this case, however, I think I forgot to do it, and with (in my opinion) disastrous circumstances.

Honestly this is one of the cooler projects around.

Thanks! I'm glad you like it.

Tape off the inside of the plexiglass and rough it up with some fine sandpaper. You want it smooth, but foggy looking. When it has a foggy looking appearance, it should be scratched enough for paint to adhere to the surface. Paint the inside of the plexiglass with krylon fusion gloss black spray paint. The paint is made to adhere to plastic. Just follow the directions on the can. From the outside of the plexiglass, the appearance will look like the plastic on the face/rear of an iPhone 4/4S/5.

Good ideas! I think that's the way I'm going to go.

If you are worried about the light bleeding from a gap, find some 1/4 in foam or rubber insulating tape.

Smart. I never thought about the bleeding light, but can see where this may be an issue. I did notice a bit of the glow from the power light on the monitor, but of course, this is as it sits right now. I'll be keen to watch for it, when I finally paint up the plexi.

I've been concentrating on the rear today, and was able to fix up some issues with the rear hinges.

As it turns out, the "inset" hinges I had been using weren't proper for the required clearance of the door. Unfortunately, it looks like the hinges I did need were $20 as opposed to the $10 ones I had. The interior 'decorative, yet functional' section is going to house the motherboard, and I noticed that once I installed the hinges and push-button hardware, the back-board wouldn't drop as I had intended. I've since cut down the board - in between the routed sections - and am working with some (get this) shelf brackets that will work as a hinging mechanism, so that the back-board will drop in and out, as required.

I'll detail this with pictures, once I have re-done the rear with a proper, quality piece.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 06:01:28 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #487 on: July 24, 2013, 09:25:24 pm »
I would recommend against sanding the plexi before painting.  I've tried it both ways and am never that pleased with the sanding.  I just paint it smooth and it always looks sharp as all get out.  YMMV.  Test a few scraps and see which you prefer.  If you do sand mask off and use a random orbital with the at least a 600 for a smoked look. 

a1pharm

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 08:25:50 pm
  • Planning and preparation prevents problems
« Reply #488 on: July 24, 2013, 10:01:54 pm »
I would recommend against sanding the plexi before painting.  I've tried it both ways and am never that pleased with the sanding.  I just paint it smooth and it always looks sharp as all get out.  YMMV.  Test a few scraps and see which you prefer.  If you do sand mask off and use a random orbital with the at least a 600 for a smoked look.

+1 for not sanding.  If you are going for a different look, just make a bezel and sandwich it between the plexi and the screen.

Cheers!
 :cheers:

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 03:07:41 pm
  • Creepy Mario Dude
« Reply #489 on: July 24, 2013, 11:27:42 pm »
Yes, please stop sanding polycarb before painting.  In remote controlled cars, we use special paint that adheres to polycarb.  Just go to your local hobbytown or other R/C shop and request some black paint for R/C car bodies.  It's specially designed for use with polycarb.

And, the cans are usually 1/3 the size of full cans of other spray. 

AJ

+1 for not sanding.  If you are going for a different look, just make a bezel and sandwich it between the plexi and the screen.

Cheers!
 :cheers:

AlienInferno

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 05, 2024, 09:58:54 pm
« Reply #490 on: July 27, 2013, 10:17:22 pm »
Good job man. Looks great.  Any chance we can get a side by side of the real machine and the in game machine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #491 on: July 27, 2013, 10:19:39 pm »
Good job man. Looks great.  Any chance we can get a side by side of the real machine and the in game machine.

Absolutely! I'll setup the photo shoot tomorrow, and make a complete side-by-side comparison.

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #492 on: July 28, 2013, 11:17:27 pm »

I just sanded with 1000 if I remember correctly? You wan't the paint to stick, and not easily scratch off. Yes, when you sand it there is a smoked appearance. When you paint it, the paint will fill in those microscopic scratches and look like glass (from the opposite side you applied the paint). I'll take a picture tomorrow of the center console panel I made for my RX7.

EDIT:

I used 400 grit. Enclosed are the photos. Front side has the krylon clear over the kylon gloss black, and gave it a finish that matches the interior. The backside was hard to photograph because it is very reflective. A note on the kyylon fusion, the manufacturer says that it takes a week to fully cure. I handled it the next day. Boost controller has been flopping around (not adhered yet) and has not scratched it. Krylon does state that it will adhere to polycarb, but they do not state that it does not adhere to polycarb as well. RC paint would probably yield the same results. My only experience using rc paint has been with testors candy apple red for changing amber turn signals to red for a more modern look.

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #493 on: August 22, 2013, 10:10:40 am »
Sorry for the lack of updates lately. I've stalled a bit - again - as we've been working on a couple of home renos. (Yes, again.) I've got sort of a 'good news/bad news' update!

GOOD NEWS! Yesterday, I completed our closet renovation.

There was a 'pass through' into the master bathroom which I closed up, and then finished over. My skills with drywall installation are, in my opinion, top-notch! My skills with finishing drywall... ...let's just say, are not. I hate the dust of sanding. I hate the re-application of the drywall compound. I hate re-sanding. I hate that when you think you're finished, you're really not. You have to go over, and over, and over and over again, and even then, you find that one missed spot. (Yeah, did I mention I hate drywall finishing?)

BAD NEWS! I need to finish our laundry room renovation. But first, and even worse, is that we're prepping - right now, in fact - to go back to the hospital, as my six-year-old son has to have titanium pins and rods installed into his forearm to repair a break that's shifted over the past week.

SPOILER: Not for the faint of heart. The following image is his x-ray. Don't open it if you can't take it. Fair warning.

So yes, I WILL get back to the build soon, but I do have to balance a few other projects as well.

CoryBee

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 21, 2023, 07:12:25 pm
  • Bopity Boopy
« Reply #494 on: August 27, 2013, 10:38:28 pm »
I think this was covered most likely but I am too lazy and downloading a bunch of stuff to go through all 13 pages.

Are you making the super turkey puncher game? Maybe you can extract the game from the pc version of the doom game.....I wonder if it is a separate entity or hard coded into the main game......

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #495 on: August 27, 2013, 10:45:03 pm »
Are you making the super turkey puncher game?

I have a very basic Flash version a guy made for me about a year ago. It's pretty good, and I can add some screens and such to finish it.

CoryBee

• Offline Offline
  • Bopity Boopy
« Reply #496 on: August 27, 2013, 11:22:05 pm »
Okay nice. If you need any help let me know, I have a lot of free time on my hand until the end of September.

;D

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #497 on: August 28, 2013, 08:19:23 pm »
If you need any help let me know, I have a lot of free time on my hand until the end of September.

Dude, I'd love the help! I'll go and find my Flash files, and send what I have over to you. Thanks!

CoryBee

• Offline Offline
  • Bopity Boopy
« Reply #498 on: August 28, 2013, 10:52:07 pm »
If you need any help let me know, I have a lot of free time on my hand until the end of September.

Dude, I'd love the help! I'll go and find my Flash files, and send what I have over to you. Thanks!

I await the files. I have a dedicated machine up my sleeves as well based on a game that was never on an arcade

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:41:27 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #499 on: August 28, 2013, 10:54:29 pm »

I await the files. I have a dedicated machine up my sleeves as well based on a game that was never on an arcade

Finally pulling the trigger on Extreme Rocks Scissors Paper, huh?
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #500 on: August 28, 2013, 10:54:33 pm »

Is it Turbotime? 'Cause I also want to build a Turbotime.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:38:53 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #501 on: August 28, 2013, 11:17:10 pm »

How about Sheldon's version?

The bad news is that we're all going to pick Spock.   :laugh2:

Scott
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 11:22:35 pm by PL1 »

CoryBee

• Offline Offline
  • Bopity Boopy
« Reply #502 on: August 28, 2013, 11:44:40 pm »

Is it Turbotime? 'Cause I also want to build a Turbotime.

No it is not turbo time. But I say your thread and hope you actually do something with it.....

Quiet you!!!

CoryBee

• Offline Offline
  • Bopity Boopy
« Reply #503 on: August 29, 2013, 06:22:10 am »
I give you hint, these are the controls for the game

Code: [Select]
INGAME KEYS

Arrows ---- Move around
Z --------- Ground fire
X --------- Air fire
Esc ------- Pause menu

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #504 on: November 08, 2014, 05:47:08 pm »
Ladies and gentlemen, I would like to bid you all adieu. Sadly, it is time for me to part with this project. Yes, I am disassembling my 'manually assembled' Super Turbo Turkey Puncher arcade cabinet that has been moving from room to room for the past few years. And no, this project is NOT dead.  I'm planning on resurrecting this as one of my FIRST THINGS, when I have my workshop built, and when my CNC is up and running. So, yes, this project will live on. Just not in it's current incarnation.

I've looked over the work I've done, and it's ... ok. The router lines  aren't straight. The assembly isn't perfect. I've learned a lot, and I think that this is where I'm at. I know I can do better, and I'm going to "do right" by this machine... So it's not a farewell to arms. It's a ... soon to be "perfect". (Or, at least, 'better'.)

I do have a plan - and that involves a new, updated version via Solidworks, and CNC created parts to get everything "up to snuff"... So, watch for updates in the coming months. I promise this - the project is not dead. It's just ... resting.

:D

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 07, 2021, 02:52:06 pm
« Reply #505 on: November 08, 2014, 08:28:07 pm »
OMG!!! OMG!!! Super Turbo Turkey Puncher 4 CONFIRMED!!!! 

#Exclusive

#First.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #506 on: November 08, 2014, 08:58:05 pm »
Ladies and gentlemen, I would like to bid you all adieu. Sadly, it is time for me to part with this project. Yes, I am disassembling my 'manually assembled' Super Turbo Turkey Puncher arcade cabinet that has been moving from room to room for the past few years.

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 07, 2021, 02:52:06 pm
« Reply #507 on: November 08, 2014, 09:23:29 pm »
what a waste of booze.

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #508 on: November 10, 2014, 01:15:37 am »
Will version 2 weigh less than 12 tons?  >:D

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 20, 2024, 04:36:20 pm
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #509 on: November 11, 2014, 03:38:36 pm »
Good luck Rick,

I know you'll finish it one day. I must admit, there has been times where I have felt discouraged that my build has taken so long with so many missed deadlines. Thinking at least it has not taken as long as your doom'd build has always made me smile. 

I'm sure when ever you finish it will be amazing.    :cheers:
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 03:41:30 pm by Locke141 »

AlienInferno

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 05, 2024, 09:58:54 pm
« Reply #510 on: November 08, 2015, 11:59:01 pm »
And no, this project is NOT dead.  I'm planning on resurrecting this as one of my FIRST THINGS, when I have my workshop built, and when my CNC is up and running.

So it's not a farewell to arms. It's a ... soon to be "perfect". (Or, at least, 'better'.)

So, watch for updates in the coming months. I promise this - the project is not dead. It's just ... resting.

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

And  yes I'm sure I just broke a few peoples hearts with this yearly bump.  LOL.

Rick

• Offline Offline
Re: &quot;DOOM'D!&quot; -- A return to Super Turbo Turkey Puncher 3
« Reply #511 on: November 09, 2015, 12:00:05 am »
And no, this project is NOT dead.  I'm planning on resurrecting this as one of my FIRST THINGS, when I have my workshop built, and when my CNC is up and running.

So it's not a farewell to arms. It's a ... soon to be "perfect". (Or, at least, 'better'.)

So, watch for updates in the coming months. I promise this - the project is not dead. It's just ... resting.

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

And  yes I'm sure I just broke a few peoples hearts with this yearly bump.  LOL.
:(

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #512 on: November 09, 2015, 12:01:15 am »
I think he scavenged the cab to build his CNC machine...

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #513 on: November 09, 2015, 12:02:08 am »
Tug on my heartstrings, why don't you? You bastard. ;)

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #514 on: November 09, 2015, 12:02:50 am »

We've missed you, homie.

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #515 on: November 09, 2015, 12:05:28 am »

We've missed you, homie.
I've missed you guys too. This working full-time thing is a pain in the ass. I gotta get on here more. AND now, I've gotta figure out how to build the Doom cab on my CNC.  :D