Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: MKX Kustom Kabinet #3 by Drake Dragoon  (Read 11319 times)

drakedragoon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 09, 2015, 05:34:26 am
  • MKI MKII UMKIII MKIV SF2 KI2
MKX Kustom Kabinet #3 by Drake Dragoon
« on: November 02, 2015, 03:05:08 am »
Hey Mortal Kombat Fans!

I have been designing a Kustom Mortal Kombat X Kabinet!
I purchased a War: Final Assault cabinet and I am stripping it down to create this kustom build.
I purchased an LCD (LED backlit) Acer monitor to fit snug into the kabinet.
I purchased a NOS MK3 kontrol panel with the 5 standard buttons and the 6th run button already installed - I plan to replace the box decals with my own.
I need to hack 2 x PS4 kontrollers to wire up the joysticks and buttons - otherwise I will wait to see if X-Arcade will finally release an adapter for their arcade sticks.

And now for the fun part!

I designed my own graphics in Photoshop, then built a scale model of my arcade box in Maya, then created the textures to fit my model using my kustom graphics.
Here is the resulting MKX Koncept Kabinet:

This will be the third variant worldwide to be kompleted by a fan --> MKX Kustom Kabinet #3

Please leave a koment to let me know what you think: Love it, hate it? Tell me!
Looking for NBA Jam TE Side Art (wooden court)
Looking for Battletoads PCB
Looking for Neo Geo 6-slot Marquee and CPO
Building MKX Arcade (PS4, custom graphics, style #3 worldwide)

yamatetsu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:00:50 am
  • Just because.
Re: MKX Kustom Kabinet #3 by Drake Dragoon
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 04:44:32 am »
Here's my two cents : Those plain white texts and logos are not working for me. They don't fit the theme, they just look slapped on. Also, you've got way too many of them. There are six dragon logos on the front, one on each side plus one in the side art. You have got the Mortal Kombat X text three times on the front plus one on each side. The text in the marquee is sufficent, everyone will get that it's a Mortal Kombat cab by looking at the marquee.

If this was my cab, I would ditch all the plain white stuff except for the marquee text. It just looks plastered on, as if it doesn't belong there.

If you absolutely have to do some of the logos and the texts, I would suggest using something colorful that blends into the graphics and thus fits the style, not something flat white.
The same goes for the logo on the side of the CP box, the flat plain white look doesn't fit.

The Mortal Kombat X text plus the logo look jarring to me for two reasons : The logo looks like it's four times bigger that the text and (to me) it would look better if the text would follow the form of the cab.

I have whipped a up plainer version of your concept. Here is a quick and dirty comparison :

I have eliminated all the plain white stuff and added a colored dragon logo to the front of the CP box. I think the plain version looks better, but maybe it's just me  :dunno

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:58:32 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015, 10:07:46 am »
White t-molding or GTFO

n3wt0n

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 27, 2024, 05:03:38 pm
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2015, 11:12:16 am »

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 11:03:32 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2015, 03:32:36 pm »
My first koherent thought after kopmpletely reading your post was to want to kallously kick you in the krotch for swapping "K"s with "C"s. :laugh:

But I agree with the others. White t-molding is the way to go.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

drakedragoon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2015, 05:16:51 am »
Here's my two cents : Those plain white texts and logos are not working for me. They don't fit the theme, they just look slapped on. Also, you've got way too many of them. There are six dragon logos on the front, one on each side plus one in the side art. You have got the Mortal Kombat X text three times on the front plus one on each side. The text in the marquee is sufficent, everyone will get that it's a Mortal Kombat cab by looking at the marquee.

If this was my cab, I would ditch all the plain white stuff except for the marquee text. It just looks plastered on, as if it doesn't belong there.

If you absolutely have to do some of the logos and the texts, I would suggest using something colorful that blends into the graphics and thus fits the style, not something flat white.
The same goes for the logo on the side of the CP box, the flat plain white look doesn't fit.

The Mortal Kombat X text plus the logo look jarring to me for two reasons : The logo looks like it's four times bigger that the text and (to me) it would look better if the text would follow the form of the cab.

I have whipped a up plainer version of your concept. Here is a quick and dirty comparison :

I have eliminated all the plain white stuff and added a colored dragon logo to the front of the CP box. I think the plain version looks better, but maybe it's just me  :dunno
______

I do agree that there is too much white text, but I did want to go with the white text theme of the game and the official logo style for MKX.
I think I should compromise and remove only the text on the side of the cabinet, but leave the Logo (kinda looks like a moon) and the NetherRealm logo on the box. But as for the front, I also agree that I should remove the logos on the bezel (although they would most likely be covered by move lists for the characters). And I now plan to improve the plain black and white areas by adding the colored smoke to the backround (marquee and control panel).

Thanks for your input!

drakedragoon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2015, 05:23:32 am »
My first koherent thought after kopmpletely reading your post was to want to kallously kick you in the krotch for swapping "K"s with "C"s. :laugh:

But I agree with the others. White t-molding is the way to go.
______

Haha! yeah, it's kind of a Mortal Kombat thing to swap the "K"s with "C"s, so I thought I would spoof it here  :P

The only reason I didn't choose white t-molding is because I didn't want to copy SuperFans version of this cabinet. But really, if I want to stick with the official logo designs, it's really the only way to go I suppose.
The good news is, I can easily, and cheaply, swap the t-molding anytime after it's finished to see what really looks better in person.

I plan to update these images with the some changes as proposed by you fine gentlemen (or gentlewomen), including white t-molding (just for this concept model), and then I will ask again if it looks better with the changes.

Thanks for your input everyone!

drakedragoon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2015, 07:36:12 am »
Based on your guys suggestions, here is the revised MKX Custom Cabinet:

Please let me know what you think!

drakedragoon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2015, 07:42:59 am »
P.S.
- I still need to side-step the lower-front portion of the cabinet to look exactly like the cabinet I am using, but its a minor detail for the concept art.
- Should I get rid of the text on the sides, but leave the round logo?

BorgDog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 22, 2021, 02:22:52 pm
  • Not a hipster for over 50 years!
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2015, 10:58:56 am »
Nice looking stuff.

Since you asked, personally I would get rid of both the text and the logo on the side, already have a much nicer looking round logo further down the side and the two styles seem to me to clash.
I would probably get rid of the MKX on the front of the CP as well.
My Projects:
MisSpent Youth a Vigolix bartop,  Little Bastard a rotating tablet/display bartop,
Pin-Dog a mini pin-cab on vpforums.org  Star Wars a wedgehead pincab on vpinball.com

rablack97

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2022, 06:50:10 pm
  • If you don't try, you have no chance at innovation
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2015, 12:50:08 pm »
Im doing a slim version of the same thing, and I asked a fellow artist about the art.  His reply was don't do another scorpion subzero side art collage.

I dont' know why folks aren't using the "Who's Next" verbiage on these builds.

Take out the MK in front and put that, maybe.

Your basically mimicing MK3Fans builds minus the Raiden. put your own spin on this cab, do something different.

I know you'll get flack but, the coin door will be useless. 

White buttons, get rid of em, will get dingey overtime.

Who said the logo has to be in white, try other colors, gun metal or chrome.  The white t-molding again gets dingey over time.

Good luck pulling off clean combos with that button layout.

I'll be following with interest though. :cheers:

Aceldamor

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 25, 2019, 05:10:51 pm
  • You know you hear the music in your head...
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2015, 01:33:09 pm »

How so? It's the MK3 layout, albeit maybe a little spread out.
Fuzzy Wuzzy was a woman!

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2015, 01:40:30 pm »

:dunno  Maybe because he's not building an MK3 cab?

This is an MKX cab for the newest MK released this year in April.

It's may be just me, but i refuse to build a custom machine, and then can't play it properly.  MK3FAN got rid of his rig, one of the reasons was mentioned that he wasnt very good at it.  It has the same layout as above, most pro sticks dont have this layout for this type of fighting game.

As the complexity of the combos increased the original layout is becoming harder to play the game with.  SO IMHO if your gonna build something make sure you have the best functional not best looking layout to play the game properly.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 01:49:48 pm by rablack97 »

Aceldamor

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2015, 01:56:30 pm »
Fair enough.. I didn't know they changed their combo system to buck what historically worked well for them. Guess it makes sense for console button layouts though.

TBH, I played it long enough to beat story mode, not a whole lot of combo stuff going on for me.  Personally my fav was UMK3 :)
Fuzzy Wuzzy was a woman!

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2015, 02:09:50 pm »
Fair enough.. I didn't know they changed their combo system to buck what historically worked well for them. Guess it makes sense for console button layouts though.

TBH, I played it long enough to beat story mode, not a whole lot of combo stuff going on for me.  Personally my fav was UMK3 :)

Yeah if you just want to beat the game, you could do it with 4 buttons total.  However, the game has gotten away from the old days where beating the game was the goal.  Now it's how nasty your combos can be, which require some pretty quick button presses ie. Erron Black.  The wide spacing on the older layout coupled with the newer combo strings engine spells ass whooping all over it.

Go look at the EVO 2015 tournament, nobody worth their weight in gold used the old layout, it was the actual console stick or the arcarcade forum hated 8 button layout.  Why? cause the buttons were in close proximity to pull off the complex combos.

Ever try to do jax's quad slam, remember how crazy that was?  That was one move, and you damn near broke a finger trying to do it.

Trust me, its not going to work......but it will look good though  :cheers:
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 02:15:45 pm by rablack97 »

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2015, 02:25:02 pm »
Keep the koin door. 

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2015, 02:36:39 pm »
Keep the koin door.

>:D

Told ya so.......I didn't say remove it, i said it would be useless.  However we are going for a look here remember not functionality.

I have been designing a Kustom Mortal Kombat X Kabinet!

Last i heard Kustom meant different.....

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2015, 02:42:51 pm »
All my games use the coin slots, bro. After the joysticks and buttons, it's the most used part of the cab.

If we're going for a LOOK, and you want your cab to look like real arcade cab, do the door. Anything else is just a piece of furniture that plays video games.

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2015, 02:51:35 pm »
All my games use the coin slots, bro. After the joysticks and buttons, it's the most used part of the cab.

If we're going for a LOOK, and you want your cab to look like real arcade cab, do the door. Anything else is just a piece of furniture that plays video games.

I agree with you bro, but this will have a PS4 in it.  I know what your saying if this was going to be an mame cab, but from what i can tell it looks to be a dedicated MKX cab, which wont require credits.

So regardless of the coin door, its still a piece of furniture that will play a game, PS4's dont take credits...

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2015, 02:53:26 pm »
Yeah, I hear you brother, but I'd still rig up the door to start the game. Otherwise, I'd just sit ---my bottom--- on the couch and play the PS4 the way the Japanese intended. :cheers:

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2015, 02:55:05 pm »
Yeah, I hear you brother, but I'd still rig up the door to start the game. Otherwise, I'd just sit ---my bottom--- on the couch and play the PS4 the way the Japanese intended. :cheers:

:cheers:

Aceldamor

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2015, 03:19:21 pm »

Yeah if you just want to beat the game, you could do it with 4 buttons total.  However, the game has gotten away from the old days where beating the game was the goal.  Now it's how nasty your combos can be, which require some pretty quick button presses ie. Erron Black.  The wide spacing on the older layout coupled with the newer combo strings engine spells ass whooping all over it.

Go look at the EVO 2015 tournament, nobody worth their weight in gold used the old layout, it was the actual console stick or the arcarcade forum hated 8 button layout.  Why? cause the buttons were in close proximity to pull off the complex combos.

Ever try to do jax's quad slam, remember how crazy that was?  That was one move, and you damn near broke a finger trying to do it.

Trust me, its not going to work......but it will look good though  :cheers:

good info. Prob why i'm not into modern fighters as much, 5 and 6 buttons were hard enough to manage combos....now it's 8. That being said, fighting games have always been the porn of the video game world..they make a ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- ton of money and have no real content.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 03:21:52 pm by Aceldamor »
Fuzzy Wuzzy was a woman!

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2015, 04:42:11 pm »

That being said, fighting games have always been the porn of the video game world..they make a ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- ton of money and have no real content.

The way I grew up, SFII and MK were games made to sell consoles. :cheers:

MK3FAN

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2022, 07:07:29 pm
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2015, 05:06:51 pm »

It's may be just me, but i refuse to build a custom machine, and then can't play it properly.  MK3FAN got rid of his rig, one of the reasons was mentioned that he wasnt very good at it.  It has the same layout as above, most pro sticks dont have this layout for this type of fighting game.

As the complexity of the combos increased the original layout is becoming harder to play the game with.  SO IMHO if your gonna build something make sure you have the best functional not best looking layout to play the game properly.

I got rid of my build because I never played it. I was pretty damn good at the game with Mileena and found the MK3 style layout very easy to pull off combos with because I have 20+ years of muscle memory when it comes to that layout. I just got tired of having no one to play against besides online scrubs and it wasn't doing me any good just sitting there.
Current collection - 28 cabs, 4 pins. (32 machines and not enough room)

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2015, 05:34:33 pm »

I got rid of my build because I never played it. I was pretty damn good at the game with Mileena and found the MK3 style layout very easy to pull off combos with because I have 20+ years of muscle memory when it comes to that layout. I just got tired of having no one to play against besides online scrubs and it wasn't doing me any good just sitting there.
You said in your thread that "you werent as good it as you were in the earlier mks" plus mileena is one character of many.  If your building a dedicated cab for one character then thats nuts.  Some of the other characters wont play well with that layout..

But as stated if all you wanna do is play it at a novice level then that layout will work.  My point is if your building something build it based on how the best players in the world play the game. 

Otherwise you will limit yourself on why you built it to begin with.

Regardless these are just my opinions...

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Aceldamor

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2015, 08:49:01 pm »

But as stated if all you wanna do is play it at a novice level then that layout will work.  My point is if your building something build it based on how the best players in the world play the game. 

I would think you would want to build a cab because it's fun and you want to have fun on it personally.
Fuzzy Wuzzy was a woman!

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2015, 09:10:49 pm »

I would think you would want to build a cab because it's fun and you want to have fun on it personally.

But yet he sold it mmmkay...he kept his babies though the older versions, that cater more to that layout, and i'm sure he's real good with more than on character on those.

I'm just saying this game requires a different layout, but if you wanna stick with the old layout then that's a prerogative.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2015, 11:39:12 pm »

But yet he sold it mmmkay...he kept his babies though the older versions, that cater more to that layout, and i'm sure he's real good with more than on character on those.

I'm just saying this game requires a different layout, but if you wanna stick with the old layout then that's a prerogative.

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2015, 11:42:32 pm »
 :laugh2:

drakedragoon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2015, 04:12:46 am »

I started this build because of you MK3FAN! I consider your cab to be the #1 variant, the X-Arcade to be the #2 variant, and this will eventually be the #3... unless you guys know of another one that is already completed?
Anyhow, thank goodness this is still in concept phase because I think I will need to do a lot more adjustments to make this look perfect.
The only part I am nervous about is hacking the controllers, but I will be following your guide on that other forum =P
Thanks for the reply!

In response to the button configuration comments: do you guys think the 6-8 button X-Arcade layout, or even the Street Fighter arcade stick, would better suit this build as opposed to the UMK3 - MK4 layout?
I ask because I have an X-Arcade setup that I could modify to work, if they ever release the PS4 adapter...

Which of these 3 configurations is best for you guys???

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2015, 07:43:50 am »
There a few variations out there, So I'd remove the #3.  Plus I started my thread before you, so i guess it's off to the races to get a coveted spot on the how many cabs like this that are out there  :)  JK  It's all in fun  :afro:

MK3FAN started the trend of quality MKX custom cab builds though, his by far is the best i've seen.

Now back to business

First off if your gonna throw this on there, stop your build right now, get on your knees and choke yourself.

As stated prior, the idea for this game is to have the buttons in close proximity.  The older X + run layout will work, but you will limit yourself to the characters you can play effectively and pulling off long strings of combos.

MK3FAN posted a video on how you can pull off the button combos needed for X-ray, throws, interact, and enhanced moves with the classic MK layout.

This is the pro-setup

This one is interesting as well too

This one is also using the Hori Layout

I'm becoming partial to this one, its a mix of both.

It's not what's best for us, its what's best for you, and how you want to play the game. I put this game in cab and played it with the 6 button streetfighter layout, i was pulling off 21+ hit combos with Erron Black and Ermac.

So it's not really the number of buttons, its the button layout that is the real key, the 7th and 8th button just make it easier to pull off combo strings which to me makes the game that much more fun.  If you want THE LOOK then you will be contorting your fingers and that will get old really quick.

Also,If you go with the Hori layout, since your going PS4.  Say for instance SFV hits the floor, well guess what you can play that in your cab as well, plus Injustice, and any other extreme fighting game that will be released in the future.

:cheers:
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 08:08:57 am by rablack97 »

drakedragoon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2015, 09:41:02 am »
Thanks for your reply rablack97!

I definitely wouldn't mount the X-Arcade controllers straight on top of my control panel as I have seen done in the past by other hack jobbers. Hah!
The button layout is what I was curious about on that particular setup though. If I did use the X-Arcade setup, it would be pending the release of a PS4 adapter for it, and I would strip the buttons and joystick out and mount them in my own control panel.
It looks like the example you displayed "pro-setup" is probably my best option as far as button layout, as it has all 8 buttons that would normally be on a PS4 controller and the curved button formation seems like it would be ergonomically practical for my hands.
Thanks for the pictures and information!

I am also excited to hear that you are making a custom MKX cabinet too! I look forward to seeing some pictures of your project, either in progress, or when it's done.

I will be uploading a revised image of the concept cabinet I am working on within the next couple of days.
I am still debating as to whether or not to use white t-molding - Yeah it will get dirty fast, but it's cheap to replace and it sure does pop.

I'm still open to more ideas, critiques, and comments!
Thanks everyone!

tomstewdevine

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 11:02:57 pm
  • Comics, Arcade, Family....... in that order.
    • A Comic Book Look
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2015, 10:05:37 am »
PBJ is going to want those marquee brackets white......
Finished: 2 bartops and a cocktail
Not-Finished: 1bartop, 2cocktails, and 2 stand ups.

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2015, 11:48:58 am »
We try not to post links of our own builds in other folks threads, but my build is titled "MKX Dedicated CAB - CNC Design stage".  I'll be looking at your build for ideas as well.

I agree the white T-molding does look good, cause most of the MKX graphics are dark, i'm torn on that one myself.  I'm going for unique though and MK3FAN called dibs on the white already.  You just have to figure out a way to no over power it with the white logos and white dragons, should you decide to go that route.

uh oh came across this today

This is the best of both worlds....Im going with this most likely

Good choice on the CP layout, you'll see what i mean when you finish and start playing.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2015, 11:52:20 am »
We try not to post links of our own builds in other folks threads, but my build is titled "MKX Dedicated CAB - CNC Design stage".  I'll be looking at your build for ideas as well.

I agree the white T-molding does look good, cause most of the MKX graphics are dark, i'm torn on that one myself.  I'm going for unique though and MK3FAN called dibs on the white already.  You just have to figure out a way to no over power it with the white logos and white dragons, should you decide to go that route.

Good choice on the CP layout, you'll see what i mean when you finish and start playing.
Links are ok.... it's when you post photos of your build in others people's threads that it becomes no bueno.

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2015, 11:54:59 am »
ah ok, i did the exact opposite then, i posted photos to show examples of what i was talking about...dammiT :banghead:

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2015, 05:45:09 pm »
ah ok, i did the exact opposite then, i posted photos to show examples of what i was talking about...dammiT :banghead:
That's ok, bro. You were doing it to be helpful, not a show off.

drakedragoon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2015, 01:40:56 am »
PBJ is going to want those marquee brackets white......

Good call, Thanks!

drakedragoon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2015, 01:43:27 am »

No problem at all rablack97, I am grateful for any helpful suggestion, pictures, links, or otherwise.
*So long as the forum moderator doesn't flag it.  ;D

drakedragoon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2015, 02:03:28 am »

That looks like an amazing solution because you can change the color when you get bored of it.

I'll try not to steal that idea (LED T-Molding), and I will search for an alternative to white t-molding as well, so that I can attempt to be original with my design.
However, the only reason I think white is going to be o.k. to use in the end (and still have a somewhat original look) is because it matches the official logo colors for MKX and seems like the natural and obvious choice. If I use any other color, it might feel unnatural - or clash with the white logo's.

A different approach would be for me to eliminate everything that is white and make it in chrome instead (like the chrome logo in the center of the graphic for the side-art on my 'koncept kabinet').
I'm still bouncing ideas around, but I'm going to start working on variations of my design soon and I will post them here.

On another note: I plan to release all of my Maya files so that people can use the 3d model to test out designs for their own custom cabinet builds. I plan to also release all full size image files when the project is complete so that anyone can use them to make their own MKX cabinet. Free of course.

Thanks again for your comments and help everyone!