Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Nintendo's worst console?  (Read 9511 times)

vwalbridge

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2021, 12:21:09 pm
  • Don't half-ass two things, whole-ass one thing.
Nintendo's worst console?
« on: October 27, 2015, 05:34:14 pm »
Am I the only one that thinks the N64 was Nintendo's worst console?

I know...how does one determine the worst?

Worst games?
Worst controller?
Least sales?

I get into this argument with friends every now and then and maybe it's because the N64 came out at a bad time for me.  If I was from another planet and had to guess which of all the systems Nintendo DIDN'T make...I'd guess the N64.  I've owned nearly every Nintendo console except the N64 and have literally ZERO urge to ever do so. It is a little fascinating though because some of the most successful games of all time were released on the N64. But I feel like the N64 was Nintendo's awkward teenage years. Transitioning from 2D to 3D and it looked so bad. I just don't think the games/graphics have aged well over the years. In fact, I think most SNES games look better than ANY N64 game. And that controller...I just don't get it. You can try to explain it too me all you want but I just don't understand what they were thinking with that 3-legged hot-mess. Every time I pick one up, I just want to put it back down.

Nintendo would never answer this question themselves because they don't want to really admit mistakes/failures. But I'm curious what THEY would think is the worst console they have made.

So what do you think is the worst Nintendo console and why?

(PS - Leave the Virtual Boy out of this :)  )
If you can read this, it means Photobucket's money grab ruined my signature photos.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
Re: Nintendo's worst console?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 05:41:22 pm »
Yeah, not including the Virtual Boy, I'd say the N64 is the worst.  There were only a handful of games that were decent on that system, but the N64 got overshadowed by the PS1's library, hardware and control interface.

In terms of sales, the Gamecube was actually a failure for Nintendo, but there are more quality games on the GC than there was on the N64.

Anyone who says the N64 was one of the best consoles was probably either born in the 90's and/or missed the glory of 8 and 16-bit consoles before that. 
Those kids need to stay the hell off my lawn.
 :angry:

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 05:52:50 pm »
Eh Gamecube was the worst because it was very restrictive at a time where xbox and ps2 were hitting the scene. Mini discs made absolutely no sense as it crippled the amount of data you could have on a game, and even games like tony hawk needed multiple discs to play. The controller was restrictive as it came at a time where dual shoulder buttons were a standard, and while it had more "good" games than the N64, it had much fewer amazing exclusive titles.

N64 is better in my book because it hit on a very sweet niche. It was the party gaming system. People were suddenly getting together for mario kart, goldeneye, mario party etc. ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---, I consumed so much beer to N64 games, it isn't funny. As much as I loved the NES and SNES, I have the N64 to thank for my very happy era of drunk gaming.

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2015, 05:57:53 pm »
Damnit! You both make VERY good points.

Hmmm. It must be a generational thing for me because the people that tend to disagree with me are younger and missed the 8-bit and 16-bit era.

Yes, the Gamecube was technically Nintendo's worst selling system but I'll take me a Gamecube session any day.

It will be interesting to see where the Wii U stacks up to all of this. Nintendo seems to be trying to sweep that one silently under the rug with the NX hot on its heels.
If you can read this, it means Photobucket's money grab ruined my signature photos.

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2024, 12:40:25 pm
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2015, 05:58:58 pm »
So much hate.....

Personally I have to go with the Wii here.  No HD, ridiculous liscensing practices that created a glut of horrible games, sucks after novelty wears off.

But it's still pretty good.

I mean this is pretty subjective, If I look at their playability as a system not limited to the constraints at the time of their release and ignoring their influence on the industry, I'm saying the original Gameboy is the worst.  No color screen and can't play in the dark and heavy enough to kill someone with blunt force trauma, pass.....

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2015, 06:00:24 pm »
Game Cube had Animal Crossing

Shut your filthy mouths!

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2015, 06:03:48 pm »
Personally I give the Gamecube a pass because it had a better shmup & fighting game library (Ikaruga, Shikigami No Shiro II, Star Soldier  & Super Smash Bros Melee, Soul Calibur II, Capcom VS SNK 2).
PLUS it gets big points for the Gameboy Player. Being able to play GBA on a big screen was pivotal for me BITD.

Not forgetting that it also hosted one of the greatest Zelda's (WW) and The Legend of Zelda: Collector's Edition which had both Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask included.

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2015, 06:08:55 pm »
Personally I have to go with the Wii here.  No HD, ridiculous liscensing practices that created a glut of horrible games, sucks after novelty wears off.

But it's still pretty good.

Man, THIS ^ is such a really good point if you think about it. But damn if I didn't have fun playing the Wii.  And you can't argue with over 101 million units sold.

And according to Wikipedia...the Wii U is only tracking 10 million units right now. To put that into perspective, Nintendo's next least was the gamecube at over 21 million units sold.

It's looking more and more likely that units sold-wise...the Wii U is tracking to be the worst.

EDIT: Ironically...I'm actually looking to get a Wii U soon.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 06:12:26 pm by vwalbridge »

Slippyblade

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2015, 06:13:41 pm »
Nintendo has not had a truly ---smurfy--- system.  Every one of their consoles has been a success in some fashion.  Some more than others, obviously, but not one of them has lost money for Nintendo.  Nintendo is a solid company, they've been around for well over a hundred years and I don't see them tanking any time soon.

If I *had* to pick one of their systems to point at and say it was the bottom of the Nintendo barrel, I'd have to point at the Wii just for the amount of absolute crapware that was foisted on the gaming public.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 11:03:32 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2015, 06:19:35 pm »
Nintendo has not had a truly ---smurfy--- system.  Every one of their consoles has been a success in some fashion.  Some more than others, obviously, but not one of them has lost money for Nintendo.  Nintendo is a solid company, they've been around for well over a hundred years and I don't see them tanking any time soon.

If I *had* to pick one of their systems to point at and say it was the bottom of the Nintendo barrel, I'd have to point at the Wii just for the amount of absolute crapware that was foisted on the gaming public.
The Wii is the Phantom Menace of consoles - it wasn't designed for NES fans.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2015, 06:23:46 pm »
I'd take the Wii over N64 any day.

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2015, 06:30:48 pm »

Slippyblade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2015, 06:32:14 pm »
I'd take the Wii over N64 any day.

Meh.  The upside is that the Wii is so ridiculously hackable.  You can just slap ALL the old Nintendo games into it, remap some controls, and call it done.

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2015, 06:39:22 pm »

The Wii is the Phantom Menace of consoles - it wasn't designed for NES fans.

You make a good point Yots. What console (besides the SNES) has Nintendo honored and satisfied 8-bit fans?

It would probably have to be the Wii U because of the virtual console, NES remix, Mario Maker. It's probably the closest Nintendo has ever officially got to satisfying the 8-bit/16-bit era guys.

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2015, 06:46:22 pm »
It is funny you would lead off with the N64 because it is my all-time favorite console hands-down-bar-none.

Ocarina of Time
Mario 64
Banjo-Kazooie

Those are my three favorite games and the flawed N64 controller is perfect for them---especially Mario 64.

The only Nintendo we haven't owned is the Virtual Boy so I would put that as the worst.

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2015, 06:58:57 pm »
I will always admire Nintendo for not having every ---gosh-darn--- game be rated M and the same mother ---smurfing--- game with a new skin.

It's pathetic If I want to take my son to get an Xbox 360 game there is literally almost nothing age appropriate.

rust2dust

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 17, 2016, 05:23:38 pm
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2015, 07:02:35 pm »
One game made me buy an N64...BFD...

Then I got the much better version on the Xbrick....

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Slippyblade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2015, 07:02:57 pm »
I will always admire Nintendo for not having every ---gosh-darn--- game be rated M and the same mother ---smurfing--- game with a new skin.

It's pathetic If I want to take my son to get an Xbox 360 game there is literally almost nothing age appropriate.

Yeah, I ran into that a lot when I ran a Gamestop.  Most parents don't give a ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- though, at least about the violence.  They have no problem with Little Jimmy  pumping bullets into some guy's head, but show a nipple and it's the end of the freaking world!

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2015, 07:10:48 pm »
I just don't want my 8 year old learning the birds and the bees from rock star or ubisoft.

But I do get what you're saying

But back on topic, I think the Wii had the success it did because it was much more reasonably priced than PS3 and Xbox 360 that Christmas and it had a unique control design.

But games that I felt had so much promise were limited.  I wished more than anything I could have two tethered wiimotes for Red Steel 2 that would allow the player to shoot  woth one hand and slash with the other. But at the end of the day it was just a re skin  of the same tired formula that I hate with controls that while innovative horribly inaccurate.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2015, 10:23:54 pm »
You are all wrong.  The correct answer is.... it's a trick question... Nintendo has never made a bad console. 

Half of the greatest games of all time by any critic, magazine or website were for the N64, so if you didn't like it, virtually no one agrees with you.  The controller was ground breaking, introducing analog thumbsticks, rumble, and mandatory game saves.  Oh and mandatory 4 player support?  That was the n64 as well.  Yup no cd drive, so no crappy full motion videos or long load times... they really missed out. 

As for the Wii, time will tell, but it was without question the best selling console of last generation and with games like Mario Galaxy and Skyward Sword on it's roster I have a hard time believing that it will be thought of with disdain in years to come.   

The gamecube I have a harder time defending.  If you ask Nintendo, they will tell you that it was by far their worst console financially and the wii was actually intended as a stop-gap to keep the company from bleeding dry.  It's titles weren't as great either and due to the strange controller layout third party games played poorly on it.  BUT  Metroid Prime.  The game is so good that, yes, that single title can justify the entire console.  Wind Waker was pretty nifty as well.

"If I look at their playability as a system not limited to the constraints at the time of their release and ignoring their influence on the industry, I'm saying the original Gameboy is the worst. "

Yeah, except you can't do that.  Their influence on the industry at the time is how you compare them... that and the games library and if you are referring to commercial success overall sales (in percentage of the total market).  You can't fault the NES for not having 3d rendering because 3d accelerators hadn't been invented yet.  See?  That's how silly it'd be to ignore time and influence factors.

Anyway.....Gameboy... I was rolling in the floor on that one.  Overall it's the most successful video game system in the history of video game systems and it cemented Nintendo's place on top of the portable heap from then on.  Yes it has an inferior screen, but the games were superior as was the battery life.  They used that screen on purpose to keep the costs down and battery life high.  Nintendo almost always knows best.  If they had went with a better screen it would have been the game gear... a system that was virtually unplayable without an outlet nearby.  Let's put it this way... both in terms of games and in terms of hardware, the game gear was a portable master system and the Gameboy was a portable NES.  Which one would you rather be playing?

Of course if we are force to pick, the answer is clear... the virtual boy.  It was an experimental system, only 14 games were released, most of them sucked and they pulled the plug before it even got started due to obvious design flaws.  I don't count that one because even at the time it was touted as an experiment, but if you do then it's clearly the worst. 

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2015, 10:29:45 pm »
You are all wrong.  The correct answer is.... it's a trick question... Nintendo has never made a bad console. 

You had me at hello.   :cheers:

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2015, 11:03:23 pm »
He never said which one sucks, just which one is worst..... But I also love everything you just wrote.

I emulate nearly every console, my phone has many of them.

But it has a Gameboy Advance emulator not a Gameboy emulator...

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2015, 11:55:59 pm »
Howard, that was one hell of a good summary. Seriously. I may not be the biggest fan of the N64 but your points are really spot on. Nintendo is definitely a smart company and everything they do is on purpose.

I've always loved Nintendo because they care about the experience. Their history is the most interesting to me because they always seem to be ahead of the times by staying behind at the same time.

DudeRegular

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 23, 2024, 10:50:27 pm
  • I have no idea what I am doing
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2015, 01:33:41 am »
N64 was killer in my book. Mario 64 was completely new and fresh. Then Zelda hit and was ridiculously good. Other games that I loved were Goldeneye and blast corps. We also loved the WWF/WCW games back then. Mario kart was awesome. I could list all sorts of great games for that system.

I have purchased every "living room" system they have put out so far. None have been bad. The gamecube probably got the least play of all from me though. It has some great games, just not the best timing with some of the other stuff that was out then.

elvis

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 13, 2023, 05:31:03 pm
  • penguin poker
    • StickFreaks
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2015, 02:21:57 am »
N64 was killer in my book. Mario 64 was completely new and fresh. Then Zelda hit and was ridiculously good. Other games that I loved were Goldeneye and blast corps. We also loved the WWF/WCW games back then. Mario kart was awesome. I could list all sorts of great games for that system.
My problem with the N64 was the range of titles.  Outside of Golden Eye, there wasn't anything that really struck me as amazing that was a third party title.  Everything good for it was Nintendo first party, and that wasn't a huge list.

It wasn't a bad console at all.  But the SNES before it had far more great third party titles, as did the Playstation at the same time as it.  At that point in time, it just seemed to suffer as a cartridge based system moving into the 3D world.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2015, 05:14:46 am »
Howard, you can't give credit to the n64 for being the first console with analog thumbsticks since the Saturn 3D controller came out at pretty much the same time. Besides technically the Vectrex was the first "console" to have an analog thumbstick. Everyone seems to forget about that.
Everyone also seems to forget that the N64 completely abandoned 2D gamers, while the GameCube tried to recapture them with both software and hardware support.

I'll only defend a few things for the GameCube because I know GC fans are few, as are Dreamcast fans to which these consoles share a similarity in being extremely underrated systems:
Yes the Gamecube was a financial failure for Nintendo, as stated earlier, but it wasn't for its library. It's because it's install base was small due to Nintendo trying to compete with the same mature market as Sony and Microsoft. At the time, Sony gained momentum from the PS1 and had a huge install base. With the PS2's backwards compatibility, it secured a really large foothold on an older-more-gaming-evolved market that didn't take the GC seriously as an alternative to the mature titles the PS2 was putting out l, as well as having their already huge library of PS1 games (Another reason why the N64 was a poor system, there were a lot of games for it, but not as many as the PS1, and only a handful of them are good. Yes, even great as Howard pointed out).
But hey the GameCube had gameboy/gameboy advance support through the Gameboy Player, for both game library compatibility as well as console connectivity. As mentioned, this was also an attempt to win the 2D gamers over and  appealed to the huge portable market that Nintendo dominated in, so as a business decision this made complete sense - grab a market from your concurrent products and expend your consoles usability. But not enough people from that market bought-in for the GC to get into homes.
The GBA link cable was also our precursor to the WiiU's controller screen.  Games that supported the connection was the test bed for this kind of interaction, and it was yet another Nintendo innovation.
One thing I love about Nintendo is they keep trying to innovate, no matter if they fail, no matter if the ideas are wacky. In every system they've attempted to push the boundaries of gaming interaction, which is one of the core ideals of game development: interfacing the users control with the software. But I digress...

Saying the GC had bad games is both unfair and inaccurate.  Metroid Prime. I too loved Prime, and I played it again on the Wii's Metroid Prime Trilogy and still loved it.
Mario Sunshine was a perfect follow-up to Mario 64, giving players a pseudo open-world Mario 64. Without it you wouldn't have Galaxy since a lot of the engine as well as design was built and experimented in Mario Sunshine. In fact you haven't seen that kind of experimentation in Mario game for a long time till Mario Maker came out recently.
Mario Kart Double Dash was a fun game and a nice innovation to the karting gameplay they already established. Some people hated the switch mechanic so it's popularity was pretty split. It also supported 16 player LAN matches! Seriously.
That's another thing the GameCube doesn't get enough credit for, they were really pushing the console connectivity angle with a lot of their titles.  At the time Microsoft was also boasting their system link tech, Sony was third in this race.

You have one of the greatest Resident Evils -- 4, which changed the landscape for not only RE titles, but setting the bar for action titles that modern games like Uncharted, Last of Us, Assassin's Creed, etc. can attribute to. The GameCube version of RE4 was the definitive version over the PS2 as well.

Again, I mention Soul Calibur 2 which had the exclusive character choice of fighting as Link. As a Zelda series fan, this was huge! As a fighting game fan this was insane! And Namco did a great job at adapting Link's play-style to their fighting engine. SC2 is like The Godfather II, some argue the best of the series, but wouldn't be anywhere for not for the first one. Sure, using the GC controller for this Third-party game is awkward, but anyone who plays arcade-style fighting games seriously plays with an arcade stick. This is true now as was back then.

F-Zero GX was the best of its series.

Star Wars Rogue Leader was probably one of the top Star Wars games, and it blew the N64 attempt out of the water in terms of design and immersion and fixed the control scheme and camera from N64's Rogue Squadron. It also had an arcade-like difficulty that I'm sure everyone here can appreciate. 

I mean I can list a bunch more excellent titles like Beyond Good and Evil, Luigi's Mansion, Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction, the Mario Party series, etc.
The games for the GameCube were pretty great, I don't see how any Nintendo fan can shun it.

The Wii was nintendo's answer as a non-competition system with the big-boys, targeting the younger crowd and families. The GameCube is considered nintendo's last attempt at breaking-out of the childish stigma the N64 gained from its toy-like aesthetic and younger target audience. Which is significant now, since the NX is supposedly another attempt at breaking into the mature market in-lue of the Xbone's failing at competing with the PS4. The PS4 has more than double the install base. I'm very interested if the NX succeeds in jumping through that window M$ left open. Who knows, in a few year's time we might be saying the NX is nintendo's worst console or one of the bests. :D
You really don't know with Ninty, they either produce a banger, or a complete failure.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2015, 01:48:50 pm »
Half of the greatest games of all time by any critic, magazine or website were for the N64, so if you didn't like it, virtually no one agrees with you.
Also, looks like someone's still wearing their rose-coloured glasses because you are completely wrong about this; just look at the top 100 video games on Metacritic (which is a conglomerated rating based on all Game critic reviews), only 4 N64 titles are in the top 100 games. The GC has 5. Not nearly close to half as you claim.
http://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/score/metascore/all/all/filtered

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:01:53 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2015, 02:02:18 pm »
I generally think the Nintendo consoles are good for about 10 exceptional games.  The other consoles are good for dozens of pretty damn good games.

Wii was good for Wii Sports and NetFlix.  WiiU was a door stop until Mario Maker.  GameCube had some fun stuff but I think its versions of Mario Golf and Mario Kart are inferior to the N64 versions.

After Wii and WiiU, I'm not buying Nintendo systems at launch again.  Frankly, DS was a dud the first year, too.

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2023, 07:20:00 pm
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2015, 05:27:35 pm »
i was born in 91. I had a snes and genesis as a kid. I got the n64 for Christmas one year. enjoyed it for a little bit but want back to the sne s because there was way more enjoyable games on it. But my wife got me an N64 complete in the box last year for Christmas and I couldn't be more excited to get it. now I have all my favorites from back in the day on it. But there really was only a hand full of good games. So I guess it really wasn't as good as my  nostalgia wants me to believe.

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2015, 05:31:46 pm »
My most Memorable N64 Games

Golden Eye
Diddy Kong Racing
Donkey Kong 64
Southpark Chef's Luv Shack
Super Mario 64

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2015, 06:11:16 pm »

Golden Eye
Diddy Kong Racing
Donkey Kong 64
Super Mario 64

I forgot about Diddy and Donkey Kong. Those are great games. The battle mode in Donkey Kong 64 is amazing.  We played that for hours when my kids were little.

Aceldamor

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 25, 2019, 05:10:51 pm
  • You know you hear the music in your head...
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2015, 02:18:21 pm »
I'll have to pile on here and say that I had the least fun with the N64. Other than about 4-5 titles, I found most others uninspired. After the Novelty wore off, Wii is a close 2nd.

I'd be curious to know how history will tell the story of the Wii U in this tale...it seems to be the least successful system. I'm not counting any of the Hand Held or VB here because they aren't consoles in the literal sense.

Best  IMHO

NES
SNES
GC
Fuzzy Wuzzy was a woman!

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2023, 07:20:00 pm
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2015, 03:03:36 pm »
the Wii u is seariously lacking in the library department. I am enjoying yoshi's wooly world. I have really high hopes for Yooka Laylee. If you have not been keeping up with playtonic games check out their website http://www.playtonicgames.com/
it's the guys behind banjo kazooie and conker's bad fur day.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2015, 03:14:02 pm »

Golden Eye
Diddy Kong Racing
Donkey Kong 64
Super Mario 64
I'd put Conker's Bad Fur day on this list too.  It's a technical achievement for it's time.

Still, the list of good games on the N64 is very short.

Slippyblade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2015, 03:19:27 pm »
I'd put Conker's Bad Fur day on this list too.  It's a technical achievement for it's time.

Sing it, brother!  Any game where you defeat a ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- boss by chucking TP down his throat...  genius!

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2015, 03:35:37 pm »
Everyone also seems to forget that the N64 completely abandoned 2D gamers

I think op2not finally summed up what bothered me about the N64 so much. When Nintendo released the N64 it was almost like they were saying: "Welp everyone, you've had your 2D fun. Now stop it and swallow the 3D future...like it or not"

It was so jarring for me to have grown up with all these great 2D 8-bit and 16-bit games just to have Nintendo all but turn their back on them during the N64's lifetime.

If I think about it, I didn't start getting back into 2D gaming until the Wii embraced it again with the virtual console, New Super Mario Bros, and Donkey Kong Country Returns. Among others.

Token

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 20, 2021, 03:45:43 pm
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2015, 04:35:59 pm »
The controller was ground breaking, introducing analog thumbsticks, rumble, and mandatory game saves.  Oh and mandatory 4 player support?  That was the n64 as well.  Yup no cd drive, so no crappy full motion videos or long load times... they really missed out.

:applaud:

I have three arguments to support the N64 as the greatest Nintendo system of all time:

Ocarina of Time
4 player Mario Kart 64
4 player GoldenEye II (aka Perfect Dark)

Really, I would say they have all been great. But then I have never owned a Virtuaboy or WiiU.  ;)

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2015, 05:03:00 pm »
Everyone also seems to forget that the N64 completely abandoned 2D gamers

I think op2not finally summed up what bothered me about the N64 so much. When Nintendo released the N64 it was almost like they were saying: "Welp everyone, you've had your 2D fun. Now stop it and swallow the 3D future...like it or not"

Totally agree, but in the end, Nintendo did change course. Paper Mario and the 4 player Dr. Mario are a couple good examples of Nintendo after they wisened up.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:01:53 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2015, 05:07:32 pm »
Greatest system ever?  Eh... the flip side of no CDs was the games were REALLY FREAKING EXPENSIVE while Sony was releasing $20 "greatest hits" on their 10 cent discs.  N64 games were so expensive that the $300 I spent on the Z64 seemed like a savings.

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2015, 05:15:45 pm »
If you didn't have 3 friends willing to play games and drink beer with you, then you didn't get the most of the N64.