Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: GroovyMAME CPU benchmarks?  (Read 5532 times)

niall

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2016, 07:27:03 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
GroovyMAME CPU benchmarks?
« on: October 24, 2015, 08:22:21 am »
Are there any GroovyMAME benchmarks anywhere?

I'm planning a new PC build for a Win7/4850 setup dedicated for GroovyMAME but I'm having trouble finding if the more recent Cave games can run at 100% - and whether I'll need to go with Skylake or if Haswell is sufficient?  I'd like to keep this build cheap, as I need to build another PC dedicated for VR soon after, so rather go all-out with that one and go as cheap as I can go with the GroovyMAME PC.

Any comments about a CPU sufficient to handle all, or most of the latest Cave games at 100%?

R-Typer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 04:06:30 pm
  • C64 Rulez!!!!
Re: GroovyMAME CPU benchmarks?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2015, 08:40:18 am »
Hey, I have core2duo e6400 clocked at 2.16ghz and never had any slowdowns in DoDonPachi. I alomost finished that game.

intealls

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:56:15 am
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2015, 08:42:12 am »
Are there any GroovyMAME benchmarks anywhere?

I'm planning a new PC build for a Win7/4850 setup dedicated for GroovyMAME but I'm having trouble finding if the more recent Cave games can run at 100% - and whether I'll need to go with Skylake or if Haswell is sufficient?  I'd like to keep this build cheap, as I need to build another PC dedicated for VR soon after, so rather go all-out with that one and go as cheap as I can go with the GroovyMAME PC.

Any comments about a CPU sufficient to handle all, or most of the latest Cave games at 100%?

I went from a i3-4130 to a G3258 clocked at 4GHz, I don't think you'll be able to get more MAME performance per cash unit than with an overclocked G3258. If you tell me what games you'd like to have running at 100% I can do a couple of benchmarks for you.

niall

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2015, 12:19:39 am »
Deathsmiles
EspgapulaII
Mushihime-Sama Futari Black Label
etc. any of the later 2006+ games

Looking for 100% sound and video.

I'm in the market for a 4-core Intel CPU running at high Ghz for 3-thread GroovyMAME - I'm not talking regular MAME emulation here but specifically running the native resolution using Calamity's crt_emudriver and GroovyMAME under Win7x64 with an AMD HD4850.

If Haswell/Broadwell are up to the task that's great, otherwise I wonder whether the cheapest Skylake quad-core is sufficient?

Cheers guys

elvis

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 13, 2023, 05:31:03 pm
  • penguin poker
    • StickFreaks
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2015, 01:48:25 am »
Testing my laptop just now on Deathsmiles, ESP Galulda 2 and Mushihimesama Futari Black Label.  Ubuntu 12.04LTS, SDLMAME 0.155.  CPU is:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3632QM CPU @ 2.20GHz

None of those games play at 100%.  All of them drop to about 70-80% when things get busy, meaning audio dropout (they'll happily hit 200% during title screens, so the action slows them down a lot).

I'll try to benchmark these on our grunty workstations at work later this week.

pakoman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:24:39 am
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2015, 05:32:36 am »
How do xeon cpus behave with mame? Any real improvement?

niall

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2015, 06:16:34 am »
Testing my laptop just now on Deathsmiles, ESP Galulda 2 and Mushihimesama Futari Black Label.  Ubuntu 12.04LTS, SDLMAME 0.155.  CPU is:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3632QM CPU @ 2.20GHz

None of those games play at 100%.  All of them drop to about 70-80% when things get busy, meaning audio dropout (they'll happily hit 200% during title screens, so the action slows them down a lot).

I'll try to benchmark these on our grunty workstations at work later this week.

Cheers, yeah they sure do struggle!  I've got a much older CPU and Deathsmiles is downright scary!

How do xeon cpus behave with mame? Any real improvement?

A Google found some general benchmarks at http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

As I understand it, GroovyMAME wants 3 cores running as fast and as stable as possible, so ultimately it's a trade-off between heat dissipation as well as $ and whether you want to also aim for silence or low rpm noise.  Skylake turning a core off may help if that lets greater heat generation by the other 3 cores and remain stable, or late model Broadwell may be sufficient?

Current Xeon http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Xeon+E5-2699+v3+%40+2.30GHz&id=2366 is $4,673.90 "achieves" 22,892 compared to the i7-3632QM above http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Xeon+E5-2430+%40+2.20GHz&id=1788 "achieving" 6,878  Very different architectures and purposes however

Thanks in advance for anyone who gets the opportunity to benchmark and can chime in with any scores :)

My own requirements are for a Desktop CPU in 3RU of cooling, with low noise cooling as a secondary goal to overall performance and if it can approach 100% accuracy

intealls

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:56:15 am
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2015, 08:31:35 am »
Deathsmiles
EspgapulaII
Mushihime-Sama Futari Black Label
etc. any of the later 2006+ games

Looking for 100% sound and video.

I'm in the market for a 4-core Intel CPU running at high Ghz for 3-thread GroovyMAME - I'm not talking regular MAME emulation here but specifically running the native resolution using Calamity's crt_emudriver and GroovyMAME under Win7x64 with an AMD HD4850.

If Haswell/Broadwell are up to the task that's great, otherwise I wonder whether the cheapest Skylake quad-core is sufficient?

Cheers guys

Hi,

First off, you're looking for single-thread performance, since the game driver itself isn't multi-threaded. Of course having extra cores won't hurt, but anything more than two will give you modest GM returns and probably increase power consumption, so you'll likely need a beefier cooling solution. The G3258 @ 4.0 GHz gave a PassMark for single threaded performance of 2377. My i7-6700k @ 4.3 GHz managed 2470 in single thread performance.

I ran a couple of benchmarks on some of the cv1k games. I tested deathsml, dsmbl, espgal2 and futari15, all of them managed to run at 100%, but the tests show that an occasional drop here or there can be expected. An overclock to 4.2 or 4.5 could probably make these drops go away (my G3258 refuses to go above 4.0 without an insane voltage increase). The graphs show observed game speed over time, so it should never slip below 1, but as you can see this happens occasionally (dsmbl).

I also tested futari15 on the 6700k. It appears to run _slightly_ faster than the G3258, but not a whole lot, which is in line with the PassMark score. It dips below 1 more often but for the purposes of the test this can be ignored (stuff running in the background).

niall

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2015, 02:10:47 am »
First off, you're looking for single-thread performance, since the game driver itself isn't multi-threaded. Of course having extra cores won't hurt, but anything more than two will give you modest GM returns

Oh ok, I was under the impression GroovyMAME was a custom 3-threaded modification, and that that speed of each core not just the video thread/core was important?  Is "Recorded speed against audio update" a measure of the video and audio threads being synchronised?  Got any more stats on what the other cores are doing / or any more corrections or insight you can add?  Cheers

donluca

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:11:31 am
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2015, 06:27:41 pm »
This wasn't made with GroovyMAME but it should give you an idea.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=146276.0

Hope this helps!
On a scale of fakeness, from more genuine to more fake, we'd have:

1.- Plastic plants (cf. Fake Plastic Trees)
2.- Inflatable dolls
3.- Arcade cabinets with LCD monitors