Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Side Art - Matte vs. Glossy Laminated Vinyl?  (Read 6208 times)

RxBrad

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 31, 2023, 12:41:00 pm
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
Side Art - Matte vs. Glossy Laminated Vinyl?
« on: October 23, 2015, 06:42:43 am »
Getting ready to pull the trigger on my Souldraw order for my side art.  I'm thinking I want their matte laminated black vinyl print.

Is there any reason that this would be a bad idea, and that I should actually get the glossy lamination?

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
Re: Side Art - Matte vs. Glossy Laminated Vinyl?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2015, 08:22:31 am »
After some Googling, I guess I'm going to go with matte finish.  I saw some comments saying that glossy may be more prone to scratching.  And in a couple photos I'd found of "matte" vinyl, it appears that it actually is still a little glossy.

Also, having seen a Pac-Man/Galaga/etc/multigame cab at Dave & Busters with super-glossy vinyl on the sides, I don't think I like the look of it.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2015, 04:59:52 pm »
Aren't all side-art printed on gloss, or semi-gloss vinyl?  I don't recall seeing matte prints for side-art...most artwork on cabinets have a bit of a shine to it.
I would say at the very minimum go for semi-gloss if you can find it.  I'm not sure what Souldraw has, I've never used them because I couldn't trust the quality, but I know a lot of people here like to go with them.

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2021, 12:21:09 pm
  • Don't half-ass two things, whole-ass one thing.
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2015, 05:06:01 pm »
I saw some comments saying that glossy may be more prone to scratching. 

For home use, are you even worried about this?  (if this is even an issue begin with)

I wouldn't do the matte finish unless you know exactly what you are doing/getting. As soon as you apply a matte finish or poly carbonate finish, the color will change dramatically.
If you can read this, it means Photobucket's money grab ruined my signature photos.

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2015, 05:25:09 pm »
Their "matte" finish -- from the examples I could find -- appears to be a similar finish as the GoG polycarbonate finish, which is still slightly glossy.  My art is mostly variations of black & gray, so I'm not terribly worried about exact color reproduction.

I've seen people say in other posts that Souldraw's adhesive might leave a bit to be desired, But I'll also be tacking the art down with the T-molding, so that should make this mostly a non-issue.

At around $80 shipped for my sideart + marquee, I'm willing to roll the dice on this.  Will report back on the results...

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2015, 05:44:09 pm »
Interesting. I'd love to read a detailed review of their prints.

GoG's sideart prints are the perfect sheen, from what I remember the last time I ordered from them.

Kier

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 20, 2019, 07:40:00 pm
  • !
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2015, 08:52:06 pm »
Souldraw and couple others only have Matte or Glossy, I think the perfect one is in between, Satin. Most of the less expensive ones dont seem to offer it though.

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2015, 10:36:24 am »
Submitted my order Friday night (total cost was $88.46, including shipping).

This morning (Monday), I just got an email saying it was done, along with a photo and a tracking number.  So far I'm happy.

(and as you can see, there's not a lot to my art, so I wasn't that concerned about color reproduction)

Photo from Souldraw

Sketchup render of my cab

BAMBOO

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 30, 2016, 06:51:20 am
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2015, 10:52:19 am »
I like it!
"Every arcade we restore preserves history that we will never experience again..."

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 07:51:43 pm
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2015, 11:03:50 am »
My last few orders from Souldraw have been disappointing. I just ordered 2 weeks ago and since I knew the quality has been sketchy, I ordered duplicates. One of the marquees had a very large noticeable scratch (1/4" wide" and the other one was ok. The sideart won't stick for ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---. I pulled it back and used some glue. If I order from them again, I'm going to use some 3M spray adhesive on my sides first, or something.

It's a crap shoot ordering from them. Good luck! I hope yours is perfect.

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
Re: Souldraw side art review (and quick notes on marquee)
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2015, 10:57:54 am »
Placed my Souldraw order late Friday 10/23.
Got an email saying they had completed the printing, along with a photo and tracking number on Monday 10/26.
Had my art delivered by UPS on Tuesday 11/3 (I'm in Michigan -- the tracking info says it got to Chicago on 11/2, and was overnighted to me from there).

The art was sent in a sturdy cardboard tube, taped on the ends with duct tape.

Inside, the art was rolled up, and wrapped in a layer of paper, which was also taped shut.

In my opinion, the print quality on the vinyl side-art was actually quite good (my art is 200dpi, printed on their black-adhesive vinyl).  Granted, my art is fairly simple and dark.  Here's an extreme close-up of the Avenger "A" logo.  On the parts of the scrap vinyl where nothing was printed, you can tell that they use black adhesive, and the bare white is darkened to kind of a dull gray color.  So, I might not recommend it for predominantly white art.

When they rolled it up, it collected a fairly large number of creases.  When I applied the art, I was able to smooth out about 95% of them, but there are a couple places on the edges where you can see some faint creases.

Here's the art applied on one side.  I've seen people say that the adhesive isn't very sticky.  I didn't think that was the case at all -- it stuck every bit as well as the polycarbonate CP overlay I bought from GoG.  Not sure if it's because I chose the black adhesive, or if my prep work was different than what other people did (I stuck it to a black satin Rustoleum-painted surface).  Also, the "matte" surface from Souldraw has about the same amount of glossiness as the satin paint I stuck it on, so I was happy with that aspect.

Aside from a couple small crease marks on the edges (possibly avoidable with better application technique), there were no printing problems at all on the side art.  I give it an 8.5/10 (if you compare the price to other sources, I'd say it's a 9.5/10).  My biggest gripe was that the ridges/creases made it so it didn't lay perfectly flat.   Not knowing how much the edges would move as I flattened it out during application, this made it somewhat difficult to precisely line up my art (exacerbated by the fact that I have a 3/4" border around the edges).

I still need to get some good photos of the marquee, since my phone's camera didn't want to photograph it very well.  It didn't turn out as well as the side art, but I still plan on using it.  There are lots of tiny air bubbles underneath the glossy laminate layer, and a few swaths (between 1/4 and 3/4" wide and a few inches long) where the color seems like it was partially rubbed off.  The color flaws aren't terribly visible with the marquee light off, but you can definitely see them with the light on.  Luckily, to someone who doesn't know how my marquee is supposed to look, they look like they could've been intentional on my marquee design.  Overall, I give the marquee a 6/10.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 11:26:02 am by RxBrad »

DreamArcades

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 26, 2022, 05:36:40 pm
    • Dream Arcades, LLC
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2015, 12:23:38 am »
Those creases--if they show up when applied--are not acceptable. I've never ordered from souldraw, but I'm really surprised they haven't worked that out yet. If you would have gone with glossy I bet they would have been more noticeable.

I have Scott do all our artwork in matte: scratch resistant, goes on better, it's even more chemical resistant (Goof off messes up the gloss finish--it will mess up the matte too but only if left on long enough or scrubbed).

UPDATE: Wow, I've been checking out their site and I can't believe how many spelling and grammar errors there are. I know first hand how easily these can slip by (I'm disgraphic), but that site is riddled with errors!

« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 12:30:51 am by DreamArcades »

SlammedNiss

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:35:59 am
  • Mine Drags the Ground!
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2015, 12:46:26 am »
the creases are caused by rolling the artwork up too tightly then unrolling and laying it flat. It's referred to as "fingering". It really shouldn't be an issue when it comes to installing. One person holds the artwork away from the substrate while the other person applies it in a side-to-side motion using the application card pushing it onto the substrate.

I'm not familiar with the company that produces the artwork. Do they not use 3M vinyl with air channels or something similar? If they did, that would make getting creases nearly impossible in a flat surface.
Need arcade button decals? Click Here!

DreamArcades

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 26, 2022, 05:36:40 pm
    • Dream Arcades, LLC
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2015, 03:22:37 am »
What size was the tube it arrived in?
3 inch is standard, but I've gotten smaller from GOG (2.5 maybe) without issue.

It looks like this stuff is shipping from China (hence the poor grammar), maybe that's they they are using really small tubes (if they are). I'd also expect the quality to be inferior to GOG; you can find good printers in China, but it's really hard, and the quality can vary from one order to the next greatly.

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2015, 05:34:51 am »
The tube was 3" diameter. Maybe even a little bigger.

Here's why i gave them the benefit of the doubt about the creases, and said it may have been an application error on my part. Take a look at this photo.

Focus on the lower-right section. The two bottom creases that go across the bottom aren't continuous. When I was checking the alignment of the art, I folded the vinyl across the edge of the cab, disrupting those creases. On the final product, the creases are really only evident for <1inch on the extreme edge. I think I may have done that while checking the alignment.