Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: [finished] Star Wars themed arcade cabinet build  (Read 24975 times)

Niels Arcade

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 01, 2018, 05:35:06 am
  • I built a Star Wars themed arcade cabinet
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,147851.0.html
[finished] Star Wars themed arcade cabinet build
« on: October 22, 2015, 04:05:32 am »
UPDATE november 15th 2017: it is finished  :D

It has been a very busy period in my life, so it has been a while since I updated, but the project is finally finished! I've updated this thread with a lot of pictures and want to thank you guys for the support and all the great info I've found on this wonderful forum.

++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hi Everyone, in this thread I will document the build of my first arcade cabinet. I am in my 30's and arcades give me this nice sense of childhood nostalgia. I have fond memories of being a ten year old button bashing a SFII cabinet. Besides that I still like to play videogames on my PS4. I have been lurking this forum for some time now. Time has come to get to work and a build a cabinet myself.

I have considered a lot of themes for my cabinet. In the end I decided to go with an Asteroids theme. I really like the retro space theme and the red, blue and black color palette. I will not build a replica of the original Asteroids cabinet, but I will use some of the artwork for the sides and marquee of my cabinet. I found the hi res artwork at coinopart.com, I have attached a preview of the side art and marquee.
UPDATE: I Changed my mind and went for a Star Wars theme. Using Photoshop and great artwork I found on the internet I have created the designs for the marquee, cp and side art.

I created 2D exterior plans of the cabinet with the free version of QCAD on OSX. I based my design on project Mame by Koenigs http://www.koenigs.dk/mame/eng/stepprojectmame.htm. I like the elegant, simple and partly rounded design. I do think the original is a bit to short for me, since I am a tall guy (192 cm/6 feet 3). To avoid back strain while playing, I have increased the control panel height to 105 cm/41 inch, to be at the height of my waist. I have adjusted the rest of the cabinet for proportions and the total cabinet height will be 198 cm. I have attached images and a PDF of the build plans. All the sharp corners in the design will be slightly rounded.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 06:06:23 am by Niels Arcade »
I built a Star Wars themed arcade cabinet
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,147851.0.html

Niels Arcade

• Offline Offline
Re: Asteroids themed arcade cabinet build
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2015, 08:54:25 am »
I bought the following things from arcadeworld.uk and arcadewinkel.nl (seller depending on price & availability):

- Coin door with two mechs
- 2x Sanwa ball top joystick
- player 1 and 2 startbuttons
- black admin buttons
- blue illuminated action buttons
- red illuminated action buttons
- i-pac 2 with wiring
- red T molding
- router T molding cutting bit
- 28 mm drill for button holes
- lock for the service door

I haven't got a definitive control panel layout yet, but I think I will go with eight action buttons for each player in case I might hookup my Xbox360 or PS4 in the future.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 03:37:44 pm by Niels Arcade »

Niels Arcade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2015, 09:09:48 am »
I bought a used PC and LCD screen for 50 euro's each via Marktplaats (Dutch Craigslist). Especially the screen is in mint condition.

Screen:
- 23 inch Samsung SyncMaster 2333SW
- 30 inch HP ZR30W 16:10 IPS monitor

PC:
- HP DC5850 with dual core AMD Athlon X2 5400B Processor (2.8-GHz, 1MB L2 cache, HT bus 2.0)
- 2GB DDR2 PC2-6400 (800-MHz) RAM
- 80GB 7200rpm SATA disk (might gonna upgrade this for more storage capacity)
- ATI Radeon HD 7450 graphics card

I am not sure yet what Windows OS version I will be using. What should be the most stable OS for most emulators, Windows 7 or 8? Not decided about a front end either, although I have my eyes on Mala for the moment, I like the clean look of it.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 02:55:43 pm by Niels Arcade »

Niels Arcade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2015, 09:18:26 am »
For this build I will be using 18 mm MDF plates for the sides and 15 mm plates for the front and rear. For the mounting of plates, on the inside I will use 20 x 44 and 44 x 44 mm lumber. I will use screws and glue to make everything stick together.

I have drawn the saw lines on one of the 18mm plates. For the sawing I will use a circle saw (straight lines) and jig saw (curves). To copy the second side panel I will use a router with a flush trim bit.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 03:39:47 pm by Niels Arcade »

johnrt

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2015, 09:33:21 am »
Great start of build. About the admin-panel. Are you sure you need that? My first build was also a Project MAME, i found that the CP-area was big enough to house all my admin-buttons. And today after 5 builds I find the required amount of admin-buttons to be around 1 (the Exit-button).

Feel free to see my pics of my first build from here:
http://379009.net/mame-arcade/pics/
(files have norwegian names, but just start from the top)

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2021, 12:21:09 pm
  • Don't half-ass two things, whole-ass one thing.
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2015, 10:35:32 am »
Great start of build. About the admin-panel. Are you sure you need that? My first build was also a Project MAME, i found that the CP-area was big enough to house all my admin-buttons. And today after 5 builds I find the required amount of admin-buttons to be around 1 (the Exit-button).

+1 The less admin buttons the better. And even better if you can hide them in my opinon.

And please don't include a keyboard drawer.

I like the artwork theme. Nice start.
If you can read this, it means Photobucket's money grab ruined my signature photos.

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2024, 12:40:25 pm
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2015, 11:00:24 am »
Have you considered mounting a larger LCD vertically like Token did here http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,147277.msg1533118.html#msg1533118 ?

I mean this style can be done well, but oh that screen.... The aspect ratio is so hard for my brain to process.

Niels Arcade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2015, 01:23:14 pm »

Feel free to see my pics of my first build from here:
http://379009.net/mame-arcade/pics/
(files have norwegian names, but just start from the top)

I can understand that admin panels are not that fashionable, it often results in messy chaos. I think I don't need more than four admin buttons, perhaps less. Why I plan on putting these on a seperate tilted panel beween the cp and screen bezel is also to break the large area around the screen a bit, since the screen is not that tall. But I'm not sure yet, when I get at that part of the build I will experiment the options with and without a admin panel with cardboard.

Your cabinet looks great! What size monitor is that you are using? 21 inch 4:3?

Niels Arcade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2015, 01:33:30 pm »
Have you considered mounting a larger LCD vertically like Token did here http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,147277.msg1533118.html#msg1533118 ?

I mean this style can be done well, but oh that screen.... The aspect ratio is so hard for my brain to process.

That is pretty cool what Token did there. Not sure if I want to invest in a 40" screen and not sure how good the viewing angles will be since it is flipped.

My screen has a 16:9 ratio. I would definately prefer a 4:3 ratio, but I havent seen those bigger then 21 inch. I am actually considering a 21 inch screen instead but essentially I would just loose a few cm on the sides compared to the screen I have here.

I think I will use grey/smoked plexiglass on top of the screen and bezel. That way the aspect ratio will probably be less noticable.

johnrt

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2015, 01:39:51 pm »
What size monitor is that you are using? 21 inch 4:3?
Yes, it's a Samsung Syncmaster 213T (21.3").

Niels Arcade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2015, 01:50:26 pm »
This afternoon I have sawed the first side panel. I am happy with the result. This weekend I will have more time to continue woodworking, then I will also clone the second side panel with a router.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 03:58:19 pm by Niels Arcade »

Niels Arcade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2015, 03:20:21 pm »
Today I have finished the second side panel. The first thing I did was outlining the original side panel on a MDF plate. I roughly sawed out the shape of the side panel leaving about 1 or 2 cm around the edges. I used my router with a flush trim bit to copy the original side panel.

For those who might not now how a flush trim bit works (neither did I until recently): The second panel was on top of the original, to be cloned panel. The end of my router bit has a small metal wheel which follows the lines of the original panel while cutting 'the fat' of the new panel at the same time.

The result: identical twin panels and lots, lots of dust.

After I finished cloning and sanding the edges I continued cutting the t molding slot. I also used my router, this time with a slot cutter bit equipped.

A few tips for people, like me, who are not that experienced using a router:

- Whenever you use a new type of bit/technique you're not familiair with, perform a test run by using some scrap mdf.
- Move the router in the opposite direction of the moving bit, to prevent the router taking a uncontrollable run by itself.
- Make sure you keep the router straight and prevent it from leaning over during routing. Especially when using the slot cutter you will misalign the slot when the router is leaning over even just a little bit.

Niels Arcade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2015, 04:07:00 pm »
When I was a young boy I've spend countless of guilders (Dutch 'Gulden', our national pre-Euro currency) on arcade games. A good chunk of which I acquired by nagging to my father when we where on vacation  >:D Therefore the choice of currency for my coin mechs was easily made. I have been lucky to find a good deal (although they are technically worthless...) for 90 one guilder coins in exchange for 16,50 euro via Marktplaats (Dutch craigslist).

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:02:22 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2015, 04:12:20 pm »
When I was a young boy I've spend countless of guilders (Dutch 'Gulden', our national pre-Euro currency) on arcade games. A good chunk of which I acquired by nagging to my father when we where on vacation  >:D Therefore the choice of currency for my coin mechs was easily made. I have been lucky to find a good deal (although they are technically worthless...) for 90 one guilder coins in exchange for 16,50 euro via Marktplaats (Dutch craigslist).

I hear you, brother. My gameroom runs tokens. No coin up buttons for me! Insert credit or GTFO!
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Niels Arcade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2015, 02:22:27 pm »
Today I have created the base plate for the cabinet. I sawed two holes in the plate so I will be able reach the height adjustable feet. Whenever I would be in need to move the cabinet around I made sure I have a dolly that fits under the base plate.

I have also ordered two of these babies! One red and one blue Aimtrak light gun (for sale at Arcadeworlduk.com, UK Pound 61.80 each).

http://www.arcadeworlduk.com/products/AimTrak-Arcade-Light-Gun-With-Line-Of-Sight-Aiming.html
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 05:00:27 pm by Niels Arcade »

BAMBOO

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 30, 2016, 06:51:20 am
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2015, 02:47:31 pm »
Awesome work man.  I love it.
"Every arcade we restore preserves history that we will never experience again..."

Niels Arcade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2015, 04:40:46 pm »
Awesome work man.  I love it.

Thanks!

Niels Arcade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2015, 04:50:56 pm »
I have decided to drop the keyboard drawer, I will just hide a wireless set somewhere.

Next to the sides of the coin mech I intend to make holster holes to place the light guns. A downside would be messy cables hanging everywhere. I would like to implement cable retractors like those you would find in vacuum cleaners. Does anyone has any experience with cable rewinders in their build? I am not looking to spend another 100 euro's just for cable management, so I would like to know if there is a cheaper way, or to diy with cable retractors from old/broken housholding equipment?

A device like this would be perfect to build in, but seems to be quit expensive and hard to find online with reasonable shipping costs to the Netherlands:

« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 04:58:50 pm by Niels Arcade »

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2021, 12:21:09 pm
  • Don't half-ass two things, whole-ass one thing.
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2015, 05:33:10 pm »
I have decided to drop the keyboard drawer, I will just hide a wireless set somewhere.

Word.  :cheers:
If you can read this, it means Photobucket's money grab ruined my signature photos.

Niels Arcade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2015, 04:00:32 pm »
Done some more woodworking today. I have been sawing some plates and made a hole for the coin door. If I have time tomorrow or the day after tomorrow I can begin assembling the bottom base, sides and some front and rear plates to start shaping it in to something resembling a cabinet  ;)

As I mentioned before I'd like to mount my Aimtrak guns in holes on both sides of the coin door, while I would really like the cables to auto retract inside the cabinet. After quite some googling I can't find a reasonable priced solution. I have decided I will try my at luck at retrofitting the rectracting mechanism of some old vacuum cleaners. My gf posted a message on some local Facebook page and she has already found three nearby persons willing to donate their broken/old vacuüm cleaners.  :)

« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 04:41:32 pm by Niels Arcade »

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:59:15 am
  • Flipping out
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137295.0.html
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2015, 08:47:55 pm »
Don't bother with retracting cables for the gun. I looked all over the place for them when I did my cab and couldn't find any that weren't massively expensive/flimsy/white. I ended up just drilling a normal hole and pushing the cable back into the cab manually after I used them. Takes 5 seconds and way less likely to break down the line  :)

Niels Arcade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2015, 02:04:34 pm »
With my router I cut ventilation slots in the plates for the backside of the cabinet. Before I started, I made a guide for my router using some scrap (yet straight) MDF.

Since I had never done this before, I made a bunch of test cuts until I got it right.

Using my router with the guide.

And the result of a lot of routing (and a lot of sawdust).

Service door with hinges, lock and magnets on top and bottom for perfect closing fit.

Base plate installed.

Picture of the front, really starting to shape up now!

I have had a change of heart regarding the LCD screen I was intending to use. The 23 inch 16:9 monitor I wanted to use creates a lot of extra unwanted bezel space above and below the screen. When I was toying around with Mame I was also a bit disappointed in the screen size left when I would play 4:3 arcade games. I also think the viewing angles would not be that great for people (like my child) who would differ a lot in size.

Luckily I got a great deal on Marktplaats.nl (Dutch craigslist) for a used 30 inch HP ZR30W IPS monitor. This screen is awesome! With it's own bezel it is 69 cm wide, while my cabinet interior width is 70 cm, so it is a perfect fit. It has a 16:10 aspect ratio, so that's a plus v.s. the former 16:9 as well. The actual screen dimensions are 64 x 40 cm, pretty descent. Since it is a IPS screen, instead of TN, it has far better viewing angles, while still sporting a 7-12 ms refresh rate which is not bad for a IPS screen.

Since the admin panel I planned was also a way to break the big bezel space, this is not necessary anymore, so I will drop the admin panel and place some discrete admin buttons on the cp.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 02:35:13 pm by Niels Arcade »

Niels Arcade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2015, 02:09:49 pm »
O by the way, yesterday I actually broke my  :censored: toe and bruised another by dropping the service door on my foot while I was trying to install the door without wearing my shoes... :angry:

No pain, no gain I guess  ;)

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2015, 02:32:12 pm »
That monitor is much better!  :cheers:

Niels Arcade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2015, 02:49:22 pm »
That monitor is much better!  :cheers:

Thanks man  :cheers:

I guess you were right when you wrote a comment about my screen last week. It just didn't have the right feel and fit, this will be so much better.

Niels Arcade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2015, 02:11:33 pm »
Top plate with vent holes. I made the slots thinner in comparison to the backside vent slots so it might be attracting (a little) less dust.

Been experimenting with some control panel layouts. I think I will go with an eight button layout (yes I know purists among you...), but I think this way it will be a bit easier to play console games as well. I'll see if I can figure out a way to light up the buttons which are usable during a certain game, to make it a bit more intuitive.

I will either use two black or two red ball tops, will decide when I have the artwork designed. For now I have settled for two admin buttons on the CP: exit and pause. I might still move the two admin and player 1 & 2 buttons around a bit. I might add a few other admin buttons such as tab, but I will place those out of sight on either the top of the cabinet or behind the coin door.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 02:19:50 pm by Niels Arcade »

Niels Arcade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2015, 02:16:24 pm »
As I have mentioned in this topic (http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,148106.0.html, no reply's yet so will post it here) I want to build a control panel without plexiglass cover or t-molding on the front edge. I would like the MDF edge on the front (near where your palms/wrist would rest) to be rounded off a bit and continue into the vertical part of the cp. The control panel, edge and vertical part of the CP on the front will be covered with sticker artwork.

My question is: will the rounded MDF edge (arrow in picture below) be strong enough without further protection (except for paint and sticker artwork)? Or will it still get damaged quickly if it suffers any impact (like straight edges of MDF do without t-molding or other protection). Does somebody has some experience regarding this subject?

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2015, 02:32:39 pm »
First off obligatory...... 8 buttons?!?! :whap

As far as the MDF goes, if it's just for home use you're probably okay.  But are you sold on MDF?  You could always build it out of metal or plywood right?

Niels Arcade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2015, 02:42:07 pm »
First off obligatory...... 8 buttons?!?! :whap
Dang it, I thought I would have that covered/excused with me mentioning console compatibility  ;)

As far as the MDF goes, if it's just for home use you're probably okay.  But are you sold on MDF?  You could always build it out of metal or plywood right?

I don't mind using plywood. I am just not that keen on using metal, since I have zero experience in metal working and I am probably lacking the tools for that as well. Therefore a solution with MDF or plywood would be more efficient for me. You think plywood would be a sturdier option? No idea about the following, but should I be 'worried' about different shrinking/expanding rates of plywood in comparison to my otherwise fully MDF built cabinet?

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2015, 03:21:01 pm »
I will do us all a favor  leave out the two page argument about how console games on a cabinet are dumb....

What are you covering the panel with? I know you aren't using plexi (though I don't understand why) but are you painting it or overlaying with artwork? Both?  What material?   I think either MDF or plywood would be fine, but dont rule out metal altogether so quickly. Howard built a metal brake out of scrap,  it can be done with a bit of research.

Niels Arcade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2015, 03:46:23 pm »
I'll be using an artwork overlay, probably on some sort of vinyl, on top of paint. I am not using plexi, from what I've read on this forum it can get pretty dirty underneath it and will show lot of fingerprints on the outside.

I will check Howard's metal brake you mentioned, but I am also considering the plywood option you mentioned.

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2015, 04:08:19 pm »
Yeah I'd  just make it MDF or Plywood, do you have a round-over bit for your router?.

Also I've had my MAME CP covered with Plexi for over three years and it's not got any noticeable fingerprints or dirt  I'll upload a pic tonight.  It's just painted though, no artwork underneath.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 04:10:28 pm by harveybirdman »

Niels Arcade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2015, 04:17:11 pm »
Yeah I'd  just make it MDF or Plywood, do you have a round-over bit for your router?.

Also I've had my MAME CP covered with Plexi for over three years and it's not got any noticeable fingerprints or dirt  I'll upload a pic tonight.  It's just painted though, no artwork underneath.

Yeah I have a round over bit, I think I will go for the plywood option you suggested before. It's a sturdy material and the easiest for me to work with since I already own all kinds of wood working tools. Thanks for the advice!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 04:19:48 pm by Niels Arcade »

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2015, 04:28:47 pm »
One final thing to consider (since you probably don't want to buy a 4x8 sheet of plywood for one control panel) is looking for a piece of lumber. Where are you located?  if you have Lowe's/Home Depot you might be able to find something int the 3/4 thickness designed for shelving/cabinetry etc. 

Niels Arcade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2015, 05:03:34 pm »
One final thing to consider (since you probably don't want to buy a 4x8 sheet of plywood for one control panel) is looking for a piece of lumber. Where are you located?  if you have Lowe's/Home Depot you might be able to find something int the 3/4 thickness designed for shelving/cabinetry etc.

I'm in The Netherlands/Holland, I think I know a store that also sells half sheets of mdf, plywood etc., but shelving material might be even smarter to buy. I will check it out!

Niels Arcade

• Offline Offline
Re: Star Wars themed arcade cabinet build
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2017, 04:36:27 am »
Okay guys, I haven't updated since forever. It has been a very busy period in my life, but... I haven't abandoned my project and it is finally finished now! Get ready for a lot of pics  ;)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 04:41:42 am by Niels Arcade »

Niels Arcade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2017, 04:41:01 am »
Routing slots for the speakers.

Marquee plastic

Working on the control panel

Niels Arcade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2017, 04:50:51 am »
Finished the screen bezel with slot for Aimtrak light gun IR sensor.

Volume control, USB, audio plugs underneath the control panel.

Paint job, really messed that up often, had to start over a few times (sanding, spray paint), but worked out well in the end (dust particles are now officially public enemy number one).

Led there be light.

Dark tinted glass plate.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 04:54:05 am by Niels Arcade »

Niels Arcade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2017, 05:06:25 am »
Sticker time! I designed those with Photoshop (borrowing artwork) and got them printed on outdoor UV resistant uber weather coated stickers.

Installing speakers (not shown is a small subwoofer at the bottom of the cabinet) and power switch (will cut all power) and button to power on/off the computer (if PC is off, but main power switched on the marquee and button lights will stay lit).

To have my gaming peripherals within easy reach I decided to add a drawer underneath the control panel to house my Xbox one controllers so I can play modern PC games, two Aimtrak light guns, and two wireless karaoke microphones (replaced drawer knob for a lock later, also changed the joystick balls to blue and red).

Digital piano/keyboard pedal for Time Crisis gameplay.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 05:16:33 am by Niels Arcade »

Niels Arcade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2017, 05:13:14 am »
And so, after lots of hours setting up the PC, emulators and more of that stuff...... it is FINISHED!!! :cheers:

Using Big Box as front end.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 05:21:32 am by Niels Arcade »