Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: BYOAC - your one-stop shop for free artwork  (Read 15792 times)

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
BYOAC - your one-stop shop for free artwork
« on: October 16, 2015, 01:55:29 pm »
Since when did BYOAC become the go-to place to get free artwork?  Seems that we've had an influx of people creating accounts just to leech arcade art...

What I want to know is who is directing these leeches here?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 01:57:06 pm by opt2not »

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:19:17 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
Re: BYOAC - your one-stop shop for free artwork
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2015, 02:16:26 pm »
 I always see a lot of references to this site from KLOV.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

johnrt

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2015, 02:20:22 pm »
Since when did BYOAC become the go-to place to get free artwork?  Seems that we've had an influx of people creating accounts just to leech arcade art...

What I want to know is who is directing these leeches here?
Is that a bad thing? As long as the artwork is available here (where the hell is it btw??) the creators should be happy knowing that other people appreciate their work.

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2015, 02:22:55 pm »
I fully believe in openly sharing around here, but I also believe in getting permission if something isn't specifically posted to share. If people are snatching your hard work without persmission and selling those cabs on craigslist, I feel that is dishonest. This kind of activity happening discourages people to share.

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2015, 02:25:38 pm »
There have also been cases where I have seen people printing and selling others artwork on ebay without permission.

johnrt

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2015, 02:40:51 pm »
I fully believe in openly sharing around here, but I also believe in getting permission if something isn't specifically posted to share. If people are snatching your hard work without persmission and selling those cabs on craigslist, I feel that is dishonest. This kind of activity happening discourages people to share.
Then you really should wake up and taste the reality. There will always be those who exploits other people's hard work. You can't do anything about it other than NOT sharing anything at all. But is that the way to go?

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:58:22 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2015, 02:48:10 pm »
C'mon, man, this is the forum where some dude slapped the Mortal Kombat logo across artwork from a Mortal Kombat poster and then threw a temper tantrum when someone was selling HIS!!! artwork on ebay. 

Quite possibly the dumbest thing I've seen on this forum and there are some serious contenders.

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2015, 02:50:07 pm »
Then you really should wake up and taste the reality. There will always be those who exploits other people's hard work. You can't do anything about it other than NOT sharing anything at all. But is that the way to go?

lol. I see reality just fine.   I know it gets exploited, which makes it tough to help people on artwork when people are not willing to share their files. That is kinda the point of this thread. :lol 

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2015, 02:51:13 pm »
C'mon, man, this is the forum where some dude slapped the Mortal Kombat logo across artwork from a Mortal Kombat poster and then threw a temper tantrum when someone was selling HIS!!! artwork on ebay. 

Quite possibly the dumbest thing I've seen on this forum and there are some serious contenders.

Forgot about that one. What was he claiming was his, the blood effects or something?

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2021, 12:21:09 pm
  • Don't half-ass two things, whole-ass one thing.
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2015, 02:52:29 pm »
Ah, never mind.  :)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 03:23:16 pm by vwalbridge »
If you can read this, it means Photobucket's money grab ruined my signature photos.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2015, 02:54:38 pm »
Is that a bad thing? As long as the artwork is available here (where the hell is it btw??) the creators should be happy knowing that other people appreciate their work.
Yes. It's a bad thing.  I'm not talking about clip-art photoshopped collages, I don't care if people are sharing their project arts...a lot of these newbie requests lately have been for original cabinet artwork, which in turn could be put up on ebay for profit.
I'm all for sharing with members of "the community", but only to those who are active members. The Johnny-come-lately's who make accounts to leech original arts are only making this forum less about community and more about art piracy.  Do we really want rando's coming in and leeching stuff without contributing to anything?

behrmr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2021, 09:17:13 am
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2015, 02:56:27 pm »
I know on all of the local (to me) Facebook groups there is at least one person that is cranking out reproduction artwork like crazy.  I assume it's stuff that has been "found" or otherwise obtained from others.   

johnrt

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2015, 03:00:13 pm »
Yes. It's a bad thing.  I'm not talking about clip-art photoshopped collages, I don't care if people are sharing their project arts...a lot of these newbie requests lately have been for original cabinet artwork, which in turn could be put up on ebay for profit.
I'm all for sharing with members of "the community", but only to those who are active members. The Johnny-come-lately's who make accounts to leech original arts are only making this forum less about community and more about art piracy.  Do we really want rando's coming in and leeching stuff without contributing to anything?
Anyway, there is NO WAY you can prevent that from happening. Making this a big problem will not prevent people from stealing and even claiming rights to ones artwork. And you can't close this site for new members either.

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2015, 03:06:09 pm »
 :dunno There might be a mod to allow a poster to assign permissions to their attachments.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2015, 03:08:19 pm »
Anyway, there is NO WAY you can prevent that from happening. Making this a big problem will not prevent people from stealing and even claiming rights to ones artwork. And you can't close this site for new members either.
Anyway, being dismissive of the problem (and I'm glad you agree it is a problem) isn't the way to go either.  Obviously we don't want to close the site for new members, that's just silly.  But there could be a community effort to weed out these leeches.  I mean, there's some real hypocracy going on here... we're not allowed to share roms of original games, but it's ok to share original artwork?  What's the difference?

johnrt

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2015, 03:14:58 pm »
Anyway, being dismissive of the problem (and I'm glad you agree it is a problem) isn't the way to go either.  Obviously we don't want to close the site for new members, that's just silly.  But there could be a community effort to weed out these leeches.  I mean, there's some real hypocracy going on here... we're not allowed to share roms of original games, but it's ok to share original artwork?  What's the difference?
You can also say it like this: We're downloading ROM's until our harddrives begs for mercy, and then we're going nuts when a dude somewhere on the planet snatch our "hard work". This "hard work" is mostly based on some original artwork made by others a 30-40 years ago.

Edit: and for me this hobby isn't "hard work", but pure joy. Maybe making all attachments following the BSD license model is an idea? Meaning imposing minimal restrictions on any file you choose to attach.

Edit2: and btw: I don't see it as a problem.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 03:32:36 pm by johnrt »

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2015, 03:26:01 pm »
I always see a lot of references to this site from KLOV.
Well maybe we need to start sending them back to KLOV.

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2024, 12:40:25 pm
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2015, 03:33:48 pm »
It does bother me that this sort of thing goes on, yet some days it's so slow here there's barely anything to comment on and I don't like content being excluded.

Shouldn't be the place where people come to exploit artists, but we don't want a draconian place where everything is rastered and watermarked either.

I thought there was a post amount you had to have to start topics?  Is that no longer a thing?

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2015, 03:38:33 pm »
I thought there was a post amount you had to have to start topics?  Is that no longer a thing?

I know that there is a post amount to PM. I think it isn't a thing because a lot of people come here with specific questions in mind.

johnrt

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2015, 03:48:15 pm »
It does bother me that this sort of thing goes on, yet some days it's so slow here there's barely anything to comment on and I don't like content being excluded.

Shouldn't be the place where people come to exploit artists, but we don't want a draconian place where everything is rastered and watermarked either.

You guys are approaching this the wrong way! Do NOT impose restrictions on the community. Do the opposite. Make the user waive rights on any file he or she attaches.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 03:53:39 pm by johnrt »

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2015, 03:59:31 pm »
Do the opposite. Make the user waive rights on any file he or she attaches.

This is an excellent idea.  I waive all rights on the file attached to this post.

johnrt

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2015, 04:01:35 pm »

This is an excellent idea.  I waive all rights on the file attached to this post.
:lol You know what I mean! Have you considered the comedian business?  :laugh2:

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2015, 04:02:08 pm »

If I could get rep for a post....  :cheers:

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2015, 04:07:27 pm »

:lol You know what I mean! Have you considered the comedian business?  :laugh2:
How does one waive rights to something they never owned the rights to begin with?

johnrt

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2015, 04:11:10 pm »

If I could get rep for a post....  :cheers:
You know I'm right, hence the ridicule.

Ok, If I post a nude picture of myself on the internet and this photo eventually shows up on www.hugedicks.com against my will I would surely be unhappy with that. It's like lying my wallet on the street and expect it will lay there untouched for eternity... Wouldn't it be better if I waive all rights on my nude photo in the first place? Then I couldn't care less if it winded up on www.thelargestdicksintheworld.com:lol

johnrt

« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2015, 04:11:45 pm »
How does one waive rights to something they never owned the rights to begin with?
Then what's the problem???

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2015, 04:17:32 pm »
Someone else had rights to it.

johnrt

« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2015, 04:18:29 pm »
Someone else had rights to it.
Ohh... you mean like a ROM?

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2015, 04:19:06 pm »
Which we have rules about

johnrt

« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2015, 04:22:21 pm »
Ok, there's one obvious solution to this: Ban all artwork files!

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2015, 04:30:51 pm »
That's some ace problem solving skills you have.  :applaud:

johnrt

« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2015, 04:32:03 pm »
That's some ace problem solving skills you have.  :applaud:
Well, certain "problems" require certain skills.  :lol

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2015, 04:34:06 pm »

This isn't like a dog whistle for that family of such and suches that moved in down the street that you dislike, is it?

johnrt

« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2015, 04:37:10 pm »

This isn't like a dog whistle for that family of such and suches that moved in down the street that you dislike, is it?
No, I'm just a realist. We can introduce the most rigid rules, but it will never prevent abuse! The only way to prevent abuse of your artwork is NOT to release it.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2015, 04:40:13 pm »
Then what's the problem???

See my previous post:
The Johnny-come-lately's who make accounts to leech original arts are only making this forum less about community and more about art piracy.  Do we really want rando's coming in and leeching stuff without contributing to anything?

Ok, there's one obvious solution to this: Ban all artwork files!
johnrt, I enjoy your projects very much. I'm just going to leave it at that.

johnrt

« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2015, 04:56:04 pm »
Really? You can't see my point? The internet is by far the most hostile place in the world. How can you prevent artwork stealth if you're releasing it on the internet in the first place?

(Perhaps it's my english skills)

Token

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 20, 2021, 03:45:43 pm
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2015, 05:05:01 pm »
Opt, are you saying that it's art piracy if newbies come here to find original arcade artwork, but it isn't art piracy if they are established contributing members?

« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 05:13:16 pm by Token »

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2015, 05:10:35 pm »
johnrt, I see your point. I just don't agree with your dismissive stance.

And your artwork stealth question still relates to my earlier point, if there are rules against sharing roms here --at BYOAC, not the internet as a whole-- then why aren't their rules for pirating original-official arcade cabinet art?

Look at the artwork section of BYOAC in the last couple months. We have a lot of new accounts being made here just to ask for official cabinet art:

Star Castle Side Art
TMNT Side Art
MK artwork
UAII side art
Killer Instinct
Asteroids Sideart

...the list goes on and on.  I mean, sure it's not a new thing people come here for artwork, whether official or some photoshop collage job, the Artwork forum is peppered with it. But lately it's been in abundance and out-of-control. People have seemed to think this is the source for pirated artwork.

The artwork section has turned into a Give Me Free Art forum, rather than a place to discuss/comment/critique artwork for member's builds.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2015, 05:19:06 pm »
Opt, are you saying that its art piracy if newbies come here to find original arcade artwork, but it isn't art piracy if they are established contributing members?
Yes, that's part of it. I mean, if you know the person's not a narc, then sure, by all means.  But I still don't think BYOAC should be hosting these files. How do you know if some fed, or copyright rep is posing like a new member, coming in asking for official artwork and all the members here are happy to hand it to them? 

Saint, what's your take?  Is there any discussion going on between you and the mods about this?
I mean, if BYOAC as a whole is fine with this situation, then I'll stop arguing.

johnrt

« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2015, 05:19:35 pm »
johnrt, I see your point. I just don't agree with your dismissive stance.

And your artwork stealth question still relates to my earlier point, if there are rules against sharing roms here --at BYOAC, not the internet as a whole-- then why aren't their rules for pirating original-official arcade cabinet art?

Look at the artwork section of BYOAC in the last couple months. We have a lot of new accounts being made here just to ask for official cabinet art:

Star Castle Side Art
TMNT Side Art
MK artwork
UAII side art
Killer Instinct
Asteroids Sideart

...the list goes on and on.  I mean, sure it's not a new thing people come here for artwork, whether official or some photoshop collage job, the Artwork forum is peppered with it. But lately it's been in abundance and out-of-control. People have seemed to think this is the source for pirated artwork.

The artwork section has turned into a Give Me Free Art forum, rather than a place to discuss/comment/critique artwork for member's builds.
Ok, I see your point. Nevertheless, I don't think there's much you can do about it other than not helping out. I also do believe that many new members are struggling with the artwork. I struggled myself during my first build (I'll link to a pic of my first build, then you'll understand).