Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: MKX Dedicated CAB - Best Arcade in Show - 2016 Texas Pinball Festival - SOLD :(  (Read 52991 times)

rablack97

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2022, 06:50:10 pm
  • If you don't try, you have no chance at innovation
Hello All,

I'm in the design stages of a dedicate MKX cab, but i am torn between the side profiles.  I have access to a cnc for the cuts, so the options are limitless.

I'm torn between the side profiles of the cab and wanted some opinions to help me narrow down the choices.

This was awarded to a MKX tourney winner

Ond's design would make a perfect model, I think.

Chance's side profiles are nice as well.

I like Ond's CP overall, but i've also become a fan of the top mounted CP panel only style too.

Tried my hand at toying around with a mix of the designs.

I cut this little baby out as my first attempt at the CNC.  I used FLORINSKE'S EVO-XR design/plans and modified it a bit.

Came up with this after 4 hours on the CNC.

Something to keep me busy while i plan for the full size build. 

Any comments and or other design ideas for the fullsize side profiles would be appreciated!!!!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 10:35:57 am by rablack97 »

reptileink

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 28, 2023, 11:30:55 am
  • An 8 bit hero
Re: MKX Dedicated CAB - Coming soon
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 04:07:53 pm »
So are you making the whole bartop, or just CNC'd to see what it would look like? You must have a good hookup price-wise to "play" with a bartop while waiting to start the full size...lol.

That bartop looks awesome, would love to see that come to fruition.

~Building Arcade Cabinets are like raising children, you always mess up your first~

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:47:02 pm
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 04:16:09 pm »
#1 is too deep for a slim cab and something bothers me about having that rounded top on an MK cab.  It's too Galaga-y.

I'd go with a variation of Chance's side profile, but try to get the shape of the top closer to an original MK cab.
The monitor position would probably have to be closer to Ond's cab to pull that off.

EDIT: crappy mockup in ms paint.  I apologize to whoever I stole the pic from.  :)
The big thing for me is the angle of the top of the cab and the angle of the piece below the marquee.
The angle of the monitor bezel and other stuff could be changed without losing it's MKness.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 04:39:12 pm by BadMouth »

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 04:45:02 pm »
So are you making the whole bartop, or just CNC'd to see what it would look like? You must have a good hookup price-wise to "play" with a bartop while waiting to start the full size...lol.

No I cut that myself at the local makerspace, so no charge, I can play all i want  :)  I took a 4 hour class for 50.00 taught myself ASPIRE and then it was off to the races.  So all i do is bring my material set the machine up and let her rip.  I did the bartop for fun as a test run just to see how it would go.

#1 is too deep for a slim cab and something bothers me about having that rounded top on an MK cab.  It's too Galaga-y.

I'd go with a variation of Chance's side profile, but try to get the shape of the top closer to an original MK cab.
The monitor position would probably have to be closer to Ond's cab to pull that off.

EDIT: crappy mockup in ms paint.  I apologize to whoever I stole the pic from.  :)
The big thing for me is the angle of the top of the cab and the angle of the piece below the marquee.
The angle of the monitor bezel and other stuff could be changed without losing it's MKness.

ok i see what your saying, i never done a cab with the speaker panel at such a weird angle, how does that play along with marquee holders etc.  I have access to the plastic arcade rounded holders, would and L channel work here?

Also what are your thoughts on the CP, i like OND's style as its closer to the MK style and perfect for a Netherealm logo, or something like the bartop?

I also plan on doing the lit front door effect, replace the coin door with the dragon, no need for quarters etc.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 04:49:30 pm by rablack97 »

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2024, 12:40:25 pm
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 05:16:04 pm »
no need for quarters etc.

So what you're saying here is that you're putting 8 buttons on some arcade playing furniture?

>:D

Makerspace sounds really cool man, clearly did a great job on that bartop.

I'll be watching.....

in horror  :o ;D

reptileink

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 28, 2023, 11:30:55 am
  • An 8 bit hero
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 05:30:33 pm »

No I cut that myself at the local makerspace, so no charge, I can play all i want  :)  I took a 4 hour class for 50.00 taught myself ASPIRE and then it was off to the races.  So all i do is bring my material set the machine up and let her rip.  I did the bartop for fun as a test run just to see how it would go.

Wow, sounds like a great deal!

~Building Arcade Cabinets are like raising children, you always mess up your first~

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 05:39:18 pm »
no need for quarters etc.

So what you're saying here is that you're putting 8 buttons on some arcade playing furniture?

>:D

Makerspace sounds really cool man, clearly did a great job on that bartop.

I'll be watching.....

in horror  :o ;D

Bud, i'm not sure yet, on the buttons, all this back and forth in the other threads has me thinking really hard on that one.

Considering this layout, as a just in case for SFV.

Not sure I like the classic MK layout for the hella hard combos in MKX.

There is a chance, you might get this, so im apologizing in advance, but this layout meshes really well for MKX combo efficiency.

I have a full size already and the coin door gets no play at all, its eye candy for the most part.  The fake one is cheesy to me.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 08:10:26 pm »

ok i see what your saying, i never done a cab with the speaker panel at such a weird angle, how does that play along with marquee holders etc.  I have access to the plastic arcade rounded holders, would and L channel work here?

Also what are your thoughts on the CP, i like OND's style as its closer to the MK style and perfect for a Netherealm logo, or something like the bartop?

I also plan on doing the lit front door effect, replace the coin door with the dragon, no need for quarters etc.

An L bracket from the hardware store isn't going to work on the bottom.
The Happ flexible rounded marquee retainers should work.  I haven't used them, but from the builds I've seen on here, make sure your marquee area is recessed enough so the retainer doesn't stick out too far.

My thoughts on the CP are to make the shape close to the original including having the same amount of overhang.
My taste would be to have it reminiscent of the original cab in shape, but I wouldn't worry about the artwork looking anything like the original. 

I'm usually not a fan of the lit up recessed area of Ond's design, but I do think it would look cool with the dragon on the front.

If you're making this for MKX and newer games like it, stick with 8 buttons.  I haven't played MKX yet, but IIRC MKK required me to map all the buttons before leaving the remap menu.  My 7 button cab was one button short and I had to temporarily connect an 8th button to the hacked fightpads.

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2023, 11:39:06 pm
  • Build the impossible -"There is no Spoon"
    • DeLuSioNaL's YouTube Videos
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2015, 09:42:21 am »
Holy.  Crap.  I had NEVER heard of Makerspace until now, although I had thought about one day creating a workshop where people can use equipment and such for a fee.  (For those who didn't want to do it at home in their garage or for those who lived in apartments without access to tools and a place to work with them).

Turns out they have one near me.  I need to check this out!  Thanks!  P.S. - If this place comes to fruition near me, any chance you can share the plans so that people like me can simply "cut one out" using the files.  The possibilities are endless.   :applaud:

On that note:  Can't wait to see where this project goes!  I also agree about the curves, it doesn't really fit the MK style.  Angles or even pointy edges to look like blades would fit more.

Subscribed!

DeLuSioNaL29
Stop by my Youtube channel and leave a comment:

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2015, 10:13:04 am »
Holy.  Crap.  I had NEVER heard of Makerspace until now, although I had thought about one day creating a workshop where people can use equipment and such for a fee.  (For those who didn't want to do it at home in their garage or for those who lived in apartments without access to tools and a place to work with them).

Turns out they have one near me.  I need to check this out!  Thanks!  P.S. - If this place comes to fruition near me, any chance you can share the plans so that people like me can simply "cut one out" using the files.  The possibilities are endless.   :applaud:

On that note:  Can't wait to see where this project goes!  I also agree about the curves, it doesn't really fit the MK style.  Angles or even pointy edges to look like blades would fit more.

Subscribed!

DeLuSioNaL29

Yeah makerspace is very cool ours is open 24/7.  Go online and look at your local makerspace wiki, and see if they carry a CNC machine and the requirements to use it.  The software we use is vcarve, you can go to the vectric site and look at all sorts or tutorials.  Its very addictive.

If you decide you wanna dive into to CNC, once you've passed your class etc, I'll have to explain the process to you as my files require 4 tool changes and are only for a 3 axis cnc.  You can get the bartop on 1 sheet of mdf though, and it's pocketed so just cut glue smash and done.  I'm gonna do the same with this one, no batons, just pockets and glue  :applaud:

I came up with this last night......thoughts

Slimmed it up a bit and rounded the edges....i suck at sketchup but you get the idea.  The dragon area will be a cutout like the bartop, with slow color changing led lighting to illuminate from behind
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 10:17:34 am by rablack97 »

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:16:41 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2015, 10:55:45 am »
No coin door?
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

wp34

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2015, 11:18:41 am »

Yeah makerspace is very cool ours is open 24/7.  Go online and look at your local makerspace wiki, and see if they carry a CNC machine and the requirements to use it.  The software we use is vcarve, you can go to the vectric site and look at all sorts or tutorials.  Its very addictive.

If you decide you wanna dive into to CNC, once you've passed your class etc, I'll have to explain the process to you as my files require 4 tool changes and are only for a 3 axis cnc.  You can get the bartop on 1 sheet of mdf though, and it's pocketed so just cut glue smash and done.  I'm gonna do the same with this one, no batons, just pockets and glue  :applaud:

Good to know.   :cheers:

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2015, 11:30:02 am »

It's perfect IMO, but that's just my opinion.

One of the stumbling blocks on a widescreen LCD cab is that you end up with a lot of space below the monitor, or both above and below if it is mounted lower.
You might want to figure out what height you want the monitor at and then figure out what to do with that space. 

I vote for moves list.  I went that direction on my cab.
You could also put admin controls or something there.
...or another monitor for dynamic moves lists, but you'd be getting into a lot more software setup and the second monitor will bleed some of the processing power away from your video card.

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2015, 12:01:44 pm »
No coin door?

No, unfortunately not bro, i have one on my other cab and it gets no play.  It's eye candy for this build, and it would never be used.  MKX takes a beefy PC to run, so i'd rather sink the money into that rather than coindoor.

It's perfect IMO, but that's just my opinion.

One of the stumbling blocks on a widescreen LCD cab is that you end up with a lot of space below the monitor, or both above and below if it is mounted lower.
You might want to figure out what height you want the monitor at and then figure out what to do with that space. 

I vote for moves list.  I went that direction on my cab.
You could also put admin controls or something there.
...or another monitor for dynamic moves lists, but you'd be getting into a lot more software setup and the second monitor will bleed some of the processing power away from your video card.

Ok I like it too, i'm gonna build off of this then.

I have 32" samsung, i got free with my dell PC that i'm gonna put in this one, its lightweight and then,  only problem i foresee is the motion rate is only 60.  So hopefully there isn't a blur.

I put one similar in my last build and it turned out pretty good, but i see what you mean.

Moves list sounds appealing, maybe I can get MK3FAN to release his move list to me  :)

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2015, 12:04:17 pm »
Daaaaaamn, bro, that Frogger is **stretched**.

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2015, 12:10:29 pm »
Customer preference man, i asked him if he wanted everything full screen or in the correct aspect ratio.

Not my machine sir, i just build em.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2015, 12:12:18 pm »
Mr. Cowboys Fan has bad taste (naturally), but his cash is green. I hear you! :cheers:

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2015, 12:17:55 pm »
Mr. Cowboys Fan has bad taste (naturally), but his cash is green. I hear you! :cheers:

Yeah, i hate the marquee, and the control panel art, so did Malenko, it was like pissing on Chef's 4 course meal.....he totally F'd it off with that idea....

Sides turned out good though....

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:20:30 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2015, 02:14:44 pm »
Yeah, i hate the marquee, and the control panel art, so did Malenko, it was like pissing on Chef's 4 course meal.....he totally F'd it off with that idea....

The concept art I made was so perfect and would have went great with those sides.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2015, 02:29:32 pm »

The concept art I made was so perfect and would have went great with those sides.

Yep I agree with you there man, totally......

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2015, 03:05:11 pm »
can you cut me some of those dragons? <3

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2015, 03:13:04 pm »
2D or 3D and out of what?

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2015, 03:25:28 pm »
2D or 3D and out of what?

3D, and hamburger?   JK I'll stop thread jackin and PM. I love the cut out in the back!

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2015, 03:28:03 pm »
cool bro, you know me and my threads are open forum, sometimes it good to have folks drop in and say what-up.

Send me a PM and we can work something out my man.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2015, 03:59:45 pm »
I keep lookin at that pic and getting mad that the sides turned out so perfect on the cowboykade

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2015, 04:00:41 pm »
Dont torture yourself man

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

taxidriver6

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 02, 2024, 02:46:44 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2015, 04:33:53 pm »
rablack97,

Thanks for the info regarding Makerspace. Had never heard of it before. Sure enough, there are a few locations near me. In regards to CNC classes, this is the only one I can find: CAD301: Designing parts for CNC Milling. Is this the one you took? Also, do you mind sharing your files for the bartop as I'd like to try something small before I go in on a full-size cabinet?

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2015, 04:52:08 pm »
rablack97,

Thanks for the info regarding Makerspace. Had never heard of it before. Sure enough, there are a few locations near me. In regards to CNC classes, this is the only one I can find: CAD301: Designing parts for CNC Milling. Is this the one you took? Also, do you mind sharing your files for the bartop as I'd like to try something small before I go in on a full-size cabinet?

No, this was a class on how to run a CNC, that looks like a software class to design parts in CAD.  I would recommend going to the vectric site and downloading the 30day trial of vcarve, and look at the tutorials.  It's not a simple as just taking my files and tossing them into your CNC and done.

My files are set to specific tools of my makerspace and toolpath depths specific 5/8 mdf, so unless you have a clear understanding of the software and your makerspace's CNC, my files will do you no good.  Your makerspace may also use a different post-processing format as well.

I dont mind sharing, but i also dont want you tearing up your spaces CNC, assuming it was just load and cut.     

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2015, 05:51:39 pm »

Sides turned out good though....

That is badass!  Looks like a freeking football helmet.

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2015, 06:00:35 pm »
TY sir thats Harumans design...Malenkos side art...pretty good collaboration

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2015, 09:40:18 am »
That is badass!  Looks like a freeking football helmet.
YAY! someone got it!

The overall design was a re-imagined helmet. CP was going to kind of be the face mask (same grey as the stripe on the side, and the sticks and buttons would have been the "lines" in the front), and the marquee was the top front of the helm with the vertical stripe.

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2015, 10:13:31 pm »
OK, side design is complete along with the pockets, a screwless shell.  The pockets are 1/2 deep, should provide plenty of stability.

Anybody see anything that can be improved upon.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 10:15:46 pm by rablack97 »

wp34

• Offline Offline
Re: MKX Dedicated CAB - CNC Design stage
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2015, 10:25:53 pm »
Does your CNC drill the pocket holes?

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2015, 10:45:53 pm »
Yep, I did the same with bartop shown above.

I use a .5" clearing bit, then follow with a .125 end mill to sharpen the corners.  Makes perfect pockets, you can can also use a small allowance offset to make the pockets a tad bit larger so that your pieces can fit nicely into the pockets.

Take a look at the side profile pieces.

I was also able to source, 1/2", 5/8", and 3/4" mdf core black melamine.  So once its cut, it'll be ready for assembly and side art, no painting...woohoo
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 10:47:30 pm by rablack97 »

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2015, 10:55:29 pm »
That's pretty cool.  Saves a ton of time I bet. Not to mention that it looks dope.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2015, 09:21:25 am »
You might want to have your marquee retainers figured out now so you know how far back from the edge the marqee needs to set.
You don't want his happening:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=44750.0

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2015, 09:45:14 am »

You might want to have your marquee retainers figured out now so you know how far back from the edge the marqee needs to set.
You don't want his happening:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=44750.0

Already accounted for that sir, i think you had mentioned that briefly before, I account for the marquee holder and 2 pieces of plexi.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 10:03:16 am by rablack97 »

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2015, 10:08:12 am »
Borrowed photo from Artyfarty's thread  :)

Anybody see a need to reinforce the bottom baseboard. I did something similar in my first cab, but really don't see the need in this build  The base board is 3/4" thick and is currently high enough to hide the 4 casters to give it the floating ghost look.  The caster will screw directly into the base board.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 10:10:59 am by rablack97 »

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2015, 12:21:45 am »
Finished one full sheet of the 3/4 MDF 3 to go.

The front panel w/ dragon will have either white or clear plexi behind it with light behind it.

The sides will be black lettering on white vinyl lit as well, so there will be cutout with a 1/4" recess for the plexi to sit.  I'm trying to decide whether to light that from behind or use the glow from behind the front panel, similar to Ond's design.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 08:28:50 am by rablack97 »

deezdrama

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 25, 2024, 09:45:32 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,146268.0.html
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2015, 12:39:10 am »
Holy shyte this is going to be a sick build!  :applaud:
I like the profile.... its like chances but dig the angles in the marque area.

That bartop is effing sweet!

Your going to make me wanna do a do-over on my cab lol