Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: MKX Dedicated CAB - Best Arcade in Show - 2016 Texas Pinball Festival - SOLD :(  (Read 53435 times)

rablack97

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2022, 06:50:10 pm
  • If you don't try, you have no chance at innovation
Hello All,

I'm in the design stages of a dedicate MKX cab, but i am torn between the side profiles.  I have access to a cnc for the cuts, so the options are limitless.

I'm torn between the side profiles of the cab and wanted some opinions to help me narrow down the choices.

This was awarded to a MKX tourney winner

Ond's design would make a perfect model, I think.

Chance's side profiles are nice as well.

I like Ond's CP overall, but i've also become a fan of the top mounted CP panel only style too.

Tried my hand at toying around with a mix of the designs.

I cut this little baby out as my first attempt at the CNC.  I used FLORINSKE'S EVO-XR design/plans and modified it a bit.

Came up with this after 4 hours on the CNC.

Something to keep me busy while i plan for the full size build. 

Any comments and or other design ideas for the fullsize side profiles would be appreciated!!!!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 10:35:57 am by rablack97 »

reptileink

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 28, 2023, 11:30:55 am
  • An 8 bit hero
Re: MKX Dedicated CAB - Coming soon
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 04:07:53 pm »
So are you making the whole bartop, or just CNC'd to see what it would look like? You must have a good hookup price-wise to "play" with a bartop while waiting to start the full size...lol.

That bartop looks awesome, would love to see that come to fruition.

~Building Arcade Cabinets are like raising children, you always mess up your first~

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:43:52 pm
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 04:16:09 pm »
#1 is too deep for a slim cab and something bothers me about having that rounded top on an MK cab.  It's too Galaga-y.

I'd go with a variation of Chance's side profile, but try to get the shape of the top closer to an original MK cab.
The monitor position would probably have to be closer to Ond's cab to pull that off.

EDIT: crappy mockup in ms paint.  I apologize to whoever I stole the pic from.  :)
The big thing for me is the angle of the top of the cab and the angle of the piece below the marquee.
The angle of the monitor bezel and other stuff could be changed without losing it's MKness.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 04:39:12 pm by BadMouth »

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 04:45:02 pm »
So are you making the whole bartop, or just CNC'd to see what it would look like? You must have a good hookup price-wise to "play" with a bartop while waiting to start the full size...lol.

No I cut that myself at the local makerspace, so no charge, I can play all i want  :)  I took a 4 hour class for 50.00 taught myself ASPIRE and then it was off to the races.  So all i do is bring my material set the machine up and let her rip.  I did the bartop for fun as a test run just to see how it would go.

#1 is too deep for a slim cab and something bothers me about having that rounded top on an MK cab.  It's too Galaga-y.

I'd go with a variation of Chance's side profile, but try to get the shape of the top closer to an original MK cab.
The monitor position would probably have to be closer to Ond's cab to pull that off.

EDIT: crappy mockup in ms paint.  I apologize to whoever I stole the pic from.  :)
The big thing for me is the angle of the top of the cab and the angle of the piece below the marquee.
The angle of the monitor bezel and other stuff could be changed without losing it's MKness.

ok i see what your saying, i never done a cab with the speaker panel at such a weird angle, how does that play along with marquee holders etc.  I have access to the plastic arcade rounded holders, would and L channel work here?

Also what are your thoughts on the CP, i like OND's style as its closer to the MK style and perfect for a Netherealm logo, or something like the bartop?

I also plan on doing the lit front door effect, replace the coin door with the dragon, no need for quarters etc.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 04:49:30 pm by rablack97 »

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2024, 12:40:25 pm
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 05:16:04 pm »
no need for quarters etc.

So what you're saying here is that you're putting 8 buttons on some arcade playing furniture?

>:D

Makerspace sounds really cool man, clearly did a great job on that bartop.

I'll be watching.....

in horror  :o ;D

reptileink

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 28, 2023, 11:30:55 am
  • An 8 bit hero
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 05:30:33 pm »

No I cut that myself at the local makerspace, so no charge, I can play all i want  :)  I took a 4 hour class for 50.00 taught myself ASPIRE and then it was off to the races.  So all i do is bring my material set the machine up and let her rip.  I did the bartop for fun as a test run just to see how it would go.

Wow, sounds like a great deal!

~Building Arcade Cabinets are like raising children, you always mess up your first~

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 05:39:18 pm »
no need for quarters etc.

So what you're saying here is that you're putting 8 buttons on some arcade playing furniture?

>:D

Makerspace sounds really cool man, clearly did a great job on that bartop.

I'll be watching.....

in horror  :o ;D

Bud, i'm not sure yet, on the buttons, all this back and forth in the other threads has me thinking really hard on that one.

Considering this layout, as a just in case for SFV.

Not sure I like the classic MK layout for the hella hard combos in MKX.

There is a chance, you might get this, so im apologizing in advance, but this layout meshes really well for MKX combo efficiency.

I have a full size already and the coin door gets no play at all, its eye candy for the most part.  The fake one is cheesy to me.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 08:10:26 pm »

ok i see what your saying, i never done a cab with the speaker panel at such a weird angle, how does that play along with marquee holders etc.  I have access to the plastic arcade rounded holders, would and L channel work here?

Also what are your thoughts on the CP, i like OND's style as its closer to the MK style and perfect for a Netherealm logo, or something like the bartop?

I also plan on doing the lit front door effect, replace the coin door with the dragon, no need for quarters etc.

An L bracket from the hardware store isn't going to work on the bottom.
The Happ flexible rounded marquee retainers should work.  I haven't used them, but from the builds I've seen on here, make sure your marquee area is recessed enough so the retainer doesn't stick out too far.

My thoughts on the CP are to make the shape close to the original including having the same amount of overhang.
My taste would be to have it reminiscent of the original cab in shape, but I wouldn't worry about the artwork looking anything like the original. 

I'm usually not a fan of the lit up recessed area of Ond's design, but I do think it would look cool with the dragon on the front.

If you're making this for MKX and newer games like it, stick with 8 buttons.  I haven't played MKX yet, but IIRC MKK required me to map all the buttons before leaving the remap menu.  My 7 button cab was one button short and I had to temporarily connect an 8th button to the hacked fightpads.

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2023, 11:39:06 pm
  • Build the impossible -"There is no Spoon"
    • DeLuSioNaL's YouTube Videos
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2015, 09:42:21 am »
Holy.  Crap.  I had NEVER heard of Makerspace until now, although I had thought about one day creating a workshop where people can use equipment and such for a fee.  (For those who didn't want to do it at home in their garage or for those who lived in apartments without access to tools and a place to work with them).

Turns out they have one near me.  I need to check this out!  Thanks!  P.S. - If this place comes to fruition near me, any chance you can share the plans so that people like me can simply "cut one out" using the files.  The possibilities are endless.   :applaud:

On that note:  Can't wait to see where this project goes!  I also agree about the curves, it doesn't really fit the MK style.  Angles or even pointy edges to look like blades would fit more.

Subscribed!

DeLuSioNaL29
Stop by my Youtube channel and leave a comment:

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2015, 10:13:04 am »
Holy.  Crap.  I had NEVER heard of Makerspace until now, although I had thought about one day creating a workshop where people can use equipment and such for a fee.  (For those who didn't want to do it at home in their garage or for those who lived in apartments without access to tools and a place to work with them).

Turns out they have one near me.  I need to check this out!  Thanks!  P.S. - If this place comes to fruition near me, any chance you can share the plans so that people like me can simply "cut one out" using the files.  The possibilities are endless.   :applaud:

On that note:  Can't wait to see where this project goes!  I also agree about the curves, it doesn't really fit the MK style.  Angles or even pointy edges to look like blades would fit more.

Subscribed!

DeLuSioNaL29

Yeah makerspace is very cool ours is open 24/7.  Go online and look at your local makerspace wiki, and see if they carry a CNC machine and the requirements to use it.  The software we use is vcarve, you can go to the vectric site and look at all sorts or tutorials.  Its very addictive.

If you decide you wanna dive into to CNC, once you've passed your class etc, I'll have to explain the process to you as my files require 4 tool changes and are only for a 3 axis cnc.  You can get the bartop on 1 sheet of mdf though, and it's pocketed so just cut glue smash and done.  I'm gonna do the same with this one, no batons, just pockets and glue  :applaud:

I came up with this last night......thoughts

Slimmed it up a bit and rounded the edges....i suck at sketchup but you get the idea.  The dragon area will be a cutout like the bartop, with slow color changing led lighting to illuminate from behind
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 10:17:34 am by rablack97 »

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 11:03:32 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2015, 10:55:45 am »
No coin door?
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

wp34

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2015, 11:18:41 am »

Yeah makerspace is very cool ours is open 24/7.  Go online and look at your local makerspace wiki, and see if they carry a CNC machine and the requirements to use it.  The software we use is vcarve, you can go to the vectric site and look at all sorts or tutorials.  Its very addictive.

If you decide you wanna dive into to CNC, once you've passed your class etc, I'll have to explain the process to you as my files require 4 tool changes and are only for a 3 axis cnc.  You can get the bartop on 1 sheet of mdf though, and it's pocketed so just cut glue smash and done.  I'm gonna do the same with this one, no batons, just pockets and glue  :applaud:

Good to know.   :cheers:

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2015, 11:30:02 am »

It's perfect IMO, but that's just my opinion.

One of the stumbling blocks on a widescreen LCD cab is that you end up with a lot of space below the monitor, or both above and below if it is mounted lower.
You might want to figure out what height you want the monitor at and then figure out what to do with that space. 

I vote for moves list.  I went that direction on my cab.
You could also put admin controls or something there.
...or another monitor for dynamic moves lists, but you'd be getting into a lot more software setup and the second monitor will bleed some of the processing power away from your video card.

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2015, 12:01:44 pm »
No coin door?

No, unfortunately not bro, i have one on my other cab and it gets no play.  It's eye candy for this build, and it would never be used.  MKX takes a beefy PC to run, so i'd rather sink the money into that rather than coindoor.

It's perfect IMO, but that's just my opinion.

One of the stumbling blocks on a widescreen LCD cab is that you end up with a lot of space below the monitor, or both above and below if it is mounted lower.
You might want to figure out what height you want the monitor at and then figure out what to do with that space. 

I vote for moves list.  I went that direction on my cab.
You could also put admin controls or something there.
...or another monitor for dynamic moves lists, but you'd be getting into a lot more software setup and the second monitor will bleed some of the processing power away from your video card.

Ok I like it too, i'm gonna build off of this then.

I have 32" samsung, i got free with my dell PC that i'm gonna put in this one, its lightweight and then,  only problem i foresee is the motion rate is only 60.  So hopefully there isn't a blur.

I put one similar in my last build and it turned out pretty good, but i see what you mean.

Moves list sounds appealing, maybe I can get MK3FAN to release his move list to me  :)

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2015, 12:04:17 pm »
Daaaaaamn, bro, that Frogger is **stretched**.

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2015, 12:10:29 pm »
Customer preference man, i asked him if he wanted everything full screen or in the correct aspect ratio.

Not my machine sir, i just build em.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2015, 12:12:18 pm »
Mr. Cowboys Fan has bad taste (naturally), but his cash is green. I hear you! :cheers:

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2015, 12:17:55 pm »
Mr. Cowboys Fan has bad taste (naturally), but his cash is green. I hear you! :cheers:

Yeah, i hate the marquee, and the control panel art, so did Malenko, it was like pissing on Chef's 4 course meal.....he totally F'd it off with that idea....

Sides turned out good though....

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2015, 02:14:44 pm »
Yeah, i hate the marquee, and the control panel art, so did Malenko, it was like pissing on Chef's 4 course meal.....he totally F'd it off with that idea....

The concept art I made was so perfect and would have went great with those sides.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2015, 02:29:32 pm »

The concept art I made was so perfect and would have went great with those sides.

Yep I agree with you there man, totally......

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2015, 03:05:11 pm »
can you cut me some of those dragons? <3

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2015, 03:13:04 pm »
2D or 3D and out of what?

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2015, 03:25:28 pm »
2D or 3D and out of what?

3D, and hamburger?   JK I'll stop thread jackin and PM. I love the cut out in the back!

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2015, 03:28:03 pm »
cool bro, you know me and my threads are open forum, sometimes it good to have folks drop in and say what-up.

Send me a PM and we can work something out my man.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2015, 03:59:45 pm »
I keep lookin at that pic and getting mad that the sides turned out so perfect on the cowboykade

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2015, 04:00:41 pm »
Dont torture yourself man

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

taxidriver6

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 02, 2024, 02:46:44 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2015, 04:33:53 pm »
rablack97,

Thanks for the info regarding Makerspace. Had never heard of it before. Sure enough, there are a few locations near me. In regards to CNC classes, this is the only one I can find: CAD301: Designing parts for CNC Milling. Is this the one you took? Also, do you mind sharing your files for the bartop as I'd like to try something small before I go in on a full-size cabinet?

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2015, 04:52:08 pm »
rablack97,

Thanks for the info regarding Makerspace. Had never heard of it before. Sure enough, there are a few locations near me. In regards to CNC classes, this is the only one I can find: CAD301: Designing parts for CNC Milling. Is this the one you took? Also, do you mind sharing your files for the bartop as I'd like to try something small before I go in on a full-size cabinet?

No, this was a class on how to run a CNC, that looks like a software class to design parts in CAD.  I would recommend going to the vectric site and downloading the 30day trial of vcarve, and look at the tutorials.  It's not a simple as just taking my files and tossing them into your CNC and done.

My files are set to specific tools of my makerspace and toolpath depths specific 5/8 mdf, so unless you have a clear understanding of the software and your makerspace's CNC, my files will do you no good.  Your makerspace may also use a different post-processing format as well.

I dont mind sharing, but i also dont want you tearing up your spaces CNC, assuming it was just load and cut.     

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2015, 05:51:39 pm »

Sides turned out good though....

That is badass!  Looks like a freeking football helmet.

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2015, 06:00:35 pm »
TY sir thats Harumans design...Malenkos side art...pretty good collaboration

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2015, 09:40:18 am »
That is badass!  Looks like a freeking football helmet.
YAY! someone got it!

The overall design was a re-imagined helmet. CP was going to kind of be the face mask (same grey as the stripe on the side, and the sticks and buttons would have been the "lines" in the front), and the marquee was the top front of the helm with the vertical stripe.

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2015, 10:13:31 pm »
OK, side design is complete along with the pockets, a screwless shell.  The pockets are 1/2 deep, should provide plenty of stability.

Anybody see anything that can be improved upon.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 10:15:46 pm by rablack97 »

wp34

• Offline Offline
Re: MKX Dedicated CAB - CNC Design stage
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2015, 10:25:53 pm »
Does your CNC drill the pocket holes?

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2015, 10:45:53 pm »
Yep, I did the same with bartop shown above.

I use a .5" clearing bit, then follow with a .125 end mill to sharpen the corners.  Makes perfect pockets, you can can also use a small allowance offset to make the pockets a tad bit larger so that your pieces can fit nicely into the pockets.

Take a look at the side profile pieces.

I was also able to source, 1/2", 5/8", and 3/4" mdf core black melamine.  So once its cut, it'll be ready for assembly and side art, no painting...woohoo
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 10:47:30 pm by rablack97 »

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2015, 10:55:29 pm »
That's pretty cool.  Saves a ton of time I bet. Not to mention that it looks dope.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2015, 09:21:25 am »
You might want to have your marquee retainers figured out now so you know how far back from the edge the marqee needs to set.
You don't want his happening:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=44750.0

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2015, 09:45:14 am »

You might want to have your marquee retainers figured out now so you know how far back from the edge the marqee needs to set.
You don't want his happening:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=44750.0

Already accounted for that sir, i think you had mentioned that briefly before, I account for the marquee holder and 2 pieces of plexi.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 10:03:16 am by rablack97 »

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2015, 10:08:12 am »
Borrowed photo from Artyfarty's thread  :)

Anybody see a need to reinforce the bottom baseboard. I did something similar in my first cab, but really don't see the need in this build  The base board is 3/4" thick and is currently high enough to hide the 4 casters to give it the floating ghost look.  The caster will screw directly into the base board.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 10:10:59 am by rablack97 »

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2015, 12:21:45 am »
Finished one full sheet of the 3/4 MDF 3 to go.

The front panel w/ dragon will have either white or clear plexi behind it with light behind it.

The sides will be black lettering on white vinyl lit as well, so there will be cutout with a 1/4" recess for the plexi to sit.  I'm trying to decide whether to light that from behind or use the glow from behind the front panel, similar to Ond's design.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 08:28:50 am by rablack97 »

deezdrama

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 25, 2024, 09:45:32 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,146268.0.html
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2015, 12:39:10 am »
Holy shyte this is going to be a sick build!  :applaud:
I like the profile.... its like chances but dig the angles in the marque area.

That bartop is effing sweet!

Your going to make me wanna do a do-over on my cab lol

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2015, 09:13:25 am »
I'm sure you've caught it already, but the first cut sheet says komtat.
I do not know if this has any bearing on your actual cutting files, but just in case......

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2015, 09:42:03 am »
LOL, no those are place holders, you cant' cut out the "O" or the "A" so that idea was shot.

The letters will be removed, and that will remain is a the cutout to expose the Lettering that will be done in photoshop.

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2015, 12:42:58 pm »
 :drool
 :notworthy:
Awesome work man.  Simply awesome.

DeL29

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2015, 12:48:24 pm »
LOL, no those are place holders, you cant' cut out the "O" or the "A" so that idea was shot.

The letters will be removed, and that will remain is a the cutout to expose the Lettering that will be done in photoshop.
If you're back lighting with plexi, you can cut the O & A and attach them with adhesive. I did that with my custom change machine pedestal..

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2015, 12:59:48 pm »
Need a visual man, i was thinking cutouts,  i thing your talking about 3d letters.  You think that would look right..

I was going with double printed movie marquee material....really sharp and deep blacks

mafiafan123

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2022, 01:13:01 pm
  • i'd buy that for a dollar
« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2015, 03:17:39 pm »
Yep, I did the same with bartop shown above.

I use a .5" clearing bit, then follow with a .125 end mill to sharpen the corners.  Makes perfect pockets, you can can also use a small allowance offset to make the pockets a tad bit larger so that your pieces can fit nicely into the pockets.

Take a look at the side profile pieces.

I was also able to source, 1/2", 5/8", and 3/4" mdf core black melamine.  So once its cut, it'll be ready for assembly and side art, no painting...woohoo

:applaud:

Like the idea's , I wish id had a CNC cutter or at least knew someone who could do it. Makes me want to gut my whole mk bartop and start over lol! If your still around since your local when I start on a new build I might have to get with you to go over some stuff. Of course ill buy some beer and wings for you time  :cheers:

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2015, 03:19:09 pm »
Sure thing  :cheers:

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2015, 05:26:23 pm »
Updated the front panel today, went to a halloween store and saw this and an idea popped in my head.

I'm gonna wait till after hallwoeen so i can pick up this light for 50% off.  The idea is to have this shining behind the dragon and the X only.

So here is what the updated front panel will look like.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 05:28:21 pm by rablack97 »

BGoulette

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 07:18:44 pm
    • lazerjoose.com
« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2015, 06:21:05 pm »
That sounds like it'll look awesome!

deezdrama

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 25, 2024, 09:45:32 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,146268.0.html
« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2015, 07:15:38 am »
Updated the front panel today, went to a halloween store and saw this and an idea popped in my head.

I'm gonna wait till after hallwoeen so i can pick up this light for 50% off.  The idea is to have this shining behind the dragon and the X only.

So here is what the updated front panel will look like.

I shyte you not.... my kids grandma just bought them 2 of these, one stopped spinning on the inside...I had it pointing out of one of the vent holes in my cab. Looked cool like a trippy disco light but unfortunately it crapped out after being on only an hour.
Maybe we just got a bunk one  :dunno

I got a 12v led ghost projector of the mk logo.... looks really awesome and was going to project it behind the cab or on ceiling but its kind of dim and washed out by button leds. It looked good before I had my cp wired and lit up  :angry:
Lol.
I plan on disecting it and trying to run a cree led in it but hadnt had the time.

That globe light tho puts out some light and the projected mk logo should look sweet solong as the spinning mechanism doesnt burn out like mine did.

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2015, 02:31:37 pm »
Picked this up brand new for $80.00 off craigslist, NIB, owner bought it and never used it.   :applaud:  Finish HIM on another level

Picked up the fire lights at 50% off at spirit halloween.

Also purchased the PC components to play the game at full resolution.

PC mainly cause i want a custom bootscreen and custom intros, paid more than a PS4 but, gives me more flexibility.

For those interested this is what i came up with after alot of research, came out to be around 750.00 with rebates.

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #51 on: November 24, 2015, 08:34:59 pm »
Got a piece of transparent white plexi for the dragon background.

Coupled with the fire and Ice led behind it and got this.  This is what will show behind the dragon logo at the base of the machine.

VIDEO

Control panel mockup, using KADES as the encoder, works really well, happy with the 8 button layout.

Got the computer built and MKX Loaded to current 10-27 updates.

Windows is completely hidden upon boot and shutdown, game runs really well at 60 FPS.

The only issue i'm having now is the refresh rate the TV is only 60 and I need 120 to clear the slight blur i get when running across the screen.

Design is almost complete. A few tweaks are needed and i'll be ready to cut.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 08:44:04 pm by rablack97 »

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2015, 09:58:37 pm »
Looks like a cool lighting effect.

Are you still going to just cut the "Mortal Kombat" in releief? Then what? Paint em black and but in LED strips?

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2015, 10:38:16 pm »
Mortal Kombat wont be a cutout,  I'm thinking of just having it printed and covered with plexi........white background with black letters.  Those are actually just cutout with rebates so the plexi just lay in those rebates..

The Fire effect behind the dragon is pretty sharp....

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #54 on: November 24, 2015, 10:49:05 pm »
No argument out of me on it being sharp....

Why not let it stand on its own and have the Mortal Kombat on the added into the sideart? Just a thought.

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: November 24, 2015, 11:19:54 pm »
hmmm, you have good point, i'm still struggling with the side art and the marquee.  I was trying to incorporate the entire title with the Mortal Kombat on each side.

I suck at sketchup and or solidworks so i cant render it up like i want to..

Yenome

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 01:03:06 am
  • Punch a fish. Make a wish
« Reply #56 on: November 25, 2015, 05:09:36 am »
looking good. i used that same motherboard in my main gaming rig.
My Gf made me put a sig up. /whipped

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #57 on: December 01, 2015, 05:56:13 pm »
Design stage is just about done......Need some suggestion on speaker placement.

Ok so this thing will have a 5.1 speaker system.

I was gonna put 2 in the bezel, and  :banghead: cant do that will be covered by glass.  1 day glass can drill holes in the glass, but not sure that would look right.

The other option is put 2 in the CP, but then that throws away the plexi idea.

The last option is to place them above the Mortal and Kombat.........

Thought, ideas suggestions?

yamatetsu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:54:24 am
  • Just because.
Re: MKX Dedicated CAB - CNC Design stage almost complete 12-1-2015
« Reply #58 on: December 01, 2015, 06:40:42 pm »
How about cutting out the 'MORTAL' and 'KOMBAT' letters, putting some black metal mesh behind them and putting the speakers behind the 'O's ? The parts of the letters that would get lost (the inside of the O, the R, the A and the B) could be glued or double-taped to the mesh so that they look correct.

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #59 on: December 01, 2015, 06:43:59 pm »
Could you hide a low-profile sound bar under the CP? 

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #60 on: December 01, 2015, 07:08:06 pm »
Isn't 5.1 overkill?  The purpose of 5.1 is to have sound BEHIND you. However, 2.1 is perfect for arcade machines (and way cheaper)

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #61 on: December 01, 2015, 08:07:12 pm »
I agree about the 5.1
It just makes no sense here.

If you insist though, I'd fire them out the top of the cab aimed toward the wall/ceiling behind it, maybe even angled toward the sides if you go to the trouble of angling the speakers rather than have them flat against that panel on the cab.
The rear speakers usually play atmospheric background stuff that supposed to envelope you.
Bouncing it off the walls behind and above the cab would probably accomplish that more than firing them into your genitals.

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #62 on: December 01, 2015, 08:13:30 pm »
I imagine the client is insisting on the 5.1.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #63 on: December 01, 2015, 08:51:06 pm »
Just pay some dudes to stand behind you with the extra speakers...

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #64 on: December 01, 2015, 09:48:05 pm »
How about cutting out the 'MORTAL' and 'KOMBAT' letters, putting some black metal mesh behind them and putting the speakers behind the 'O's ? The parts of the letters that would get lost (the inside of the O, the R, the A and the B) could be glued or double-taped to the mesh so that they look correct.
The mortal kombat is going to be backlit.... not individual cutouts..

Could you hide a low-profile sound bar under the CP? 

The sound system has already been purchased, this was only $80.00

Isn't 5.1 overkill?  The purpose of 5.1 is to have sound BEHIND you. However, 2.1 is perfect for arcade machines (and way cheaper)

See above, i agree 2.1 is the standard, but i got that brand new for cheap, and it thumps.  It had a 3d power mode, if you want to stack the front and back speakers on top of each other.  The experimental setup with all 5 speakers in front of me sounds really good with a 3d / surround effect similar to dynamic sound mode on newer TV's.

I agree about the 5.1
It just makes no sense here.

If you insist though, I'd fire them out the top of the cab aimed toward the wall/ceiling behind it, maybe even angled toward the sides if you go to the trouble of angling the speakers rather than have them flat against that panel on the cab.
The rear speakers usually play atmospheric background stuff that supposed to envelope you.
Bouncing it off the walls behind and above the cab would probably accomplish that more than firing them into your genitals.

I agree once again its not needed, just got a great deal, so now I have to figure out a way not to waste $80.00.  I have mini cab with the speakers at the top and for for some reason it just doesn't sound very good.  I like the logic, but that would mean all 5 speakers would sit all grouped together in the marquee.

Yes sir, yes i am..... :applaud:

I like this idea the best, i'm getting Radio Raheem though.....with some muh fuhnn mooosarella

Nobody likes the CP idea huh, deep rebate with steel mesh, no plexi?

Yenome

• Offline Offline
« Reply #65 on: December 02, 2015, 12:36:02 am »
my question is why 8 buttons? MKX only requires 5 to play. also am i the only one who noticed the sticks on the MKX cabinet given away to the winner of the tourny is set for a left hand player. speakers almost look small enough to where you could put them all below the marquee in there normal spot. if not i would put the center and two front speakers there and put the two surround speakers below the CP

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #66 on: December 02, 2015, 12:55:40 am »

I like this idea the best, i'm getting Radio Raheem though.....with some muh fuhnn mooosarella

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #67 on: December 02, 2015, 08:49:47 am »

I must have missed that this was your personal cabinet.  I thought it was another commission and the question of "why" was moot.  In that case I agree that 5.1 is overkill.  Having said that if you are really wanting a wall of sound I do like the idea of putting some speakers in the CP.  That would get a lot of sound coming right at you.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #68 on: December 02, 2015, 09:09:54 am »
How about not having the bezel glass extend all the way down to the CP?
Have a separate speaker panel with instruction card under plexi in between the speakers.

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #69 on: December 02, 2015, 09:29:58 am »
my question is why 8 buttons? MKX only requires 5 to play. also am i the only one who noticed the sticks on the MKX cabinet given away to the winner of the tourny is set for a left hand player. speakers almost look small enough to where you could put them all below the marquee in there normal spot. if not i would put the center and two front speakers there and put the two surround speakers below the CP

There have been other discussions about 8 buttons, and i'll leave it with this comment.  If you or anyone else played with 5 buttons vs. 8 buttons on an MKX arcade, you would lose 99% of the time the 1% of victories would be due to hell freezing over.  The 8 buttons are so i dont have to contort my fingers the press multibutton combinations to pull off a simple move.  If you've played the game seriously you know what im talking about.

Go look at any pro-stick for this game, it will not just have 5 buttons.  The console stick uses 8, and my demo CP has 8 and it plays identical to the PS4 and console sticks, thats what im looking for.

I noticed that too about the tourney sticks, i'm left handed, and I cant play like that, very odd.

They aren't that small they all won't fit in that space, they need some sort of seperation.  You mean in the CP firing up or down?

I must have missed that this was your personal cabinet.  I thought it was another commission and the question of "why" was moot.  In that case I agree that 5.1 is overkill.  Having said that if you are really wanting a wall of sound I do like the idea of putting some speakers in the CP.  That would get a lot of sound coming right at you.

I guess i am a sound freak, i couldnt find a good 2.1 setup for less than 100.00 or so that didnt sound like ass.  It was either crappy bass or the speakers sound like an AM radio.

Keep in mind Blacks Magic has  $3000 car stereo in it (repurposed from my younger days), but that doubles as jukebox too.  I tried out 4 different 2.1 setups and took them all back.  This is a fun build, plus i really like the game.

So the goal isnt to stay withing kill or over kill specs, this is a not the norm build i agree.

I think i'm going with the CP speakers fellas, i did a mock-up last night and it looked ok....

This is the look i'm going for from Martijn pinball build.

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #70 on: December 02, 2015, 09:35:34 am »
Have a separate speaker panel with instruction card under plexi in between the speakers.

What would hold the glass up and how would you terminate the bottom of the glass.

I had an admin panel on Black's and could never figure out how to get the glass to stay in place with a U channel.

Aceldamor

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 25, 2019, 05:10:51 pm
  • You know you hear the music in your head...
« Reply #71 on: December 02, 2015, 10:31:27 am »
This is pretty cool! It always amazes me the way people come up with new stuff. The Halloween lights for the flame behind the dragon is genius!
Fuzzy Wuzzy was a woman!

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #72 on: December 02, 2015, 10:36:35 am »
This is pretty cool! It always amazes me the way people come up with new stuff. The Halloween lights for the flame behind the dragon is genius!

Thanks man!!!!!!  Hopefully the outcome will match the vision.

Its going in the Dave and Buster's room   >:D  Shout out to the homie Paul, myyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy "you know what time it is"

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #73 on: December 02, 2015, 10:41:48 am »

What would hold the glass up and how would you terminate the bottom of the glass.

I had an admin panel on Black's and could never figure out how to get the glass to stay in place with a U channel.

On the top of the bezel area leave extra room so the glass can be slid up high enough to clear the front of the channel, then the bottom can be swung in and drop down into the channel.  The monitor bezel goes in my cab this way.  If the cab were turned upside down it would fall out, but that's not going to happen.  I'd remove the bezel glass if I needed to transport the cab horizontally.

Since this would be in the middle instead of at the bottom, I'd want something pretty narrow.  I'd probably use 1/4"-1/2" L channel.  If you want to get picky have some type of adjustable strip behind it so the glass could be put in and then the adjuster pushed forward so the glass is tight against the L channel not leaving any gap.  I'd probably just use scrap mdf for the adjustable strip.

It would look best if it were just sitting on a ledge and the front was flush with the panel below.  But then you'd have to do something weird like suction cups or magnets though to ensure it wouldn't bounce forward off the ledge.

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #74 on: December 02, 2015, 10:45:35 am »

On the top of the bezel area leave extra room so the glass can be slid up high enough to clear the front of the channel, then the bottom can be swung in and drop down into the channel.  The monitor bezel goes in my cab this way.  If the cab were turned upside down it would fall out, but that's not going to happen.  I'd remove the bezel glass if I needed to transport the cab horizontally.

Since this would be in the middle instead of at the bottom, I'd want something pretty narrow.  I'd probably use 1/4"-1/2" L channel.  If you want to get picky have some type of adjustable strip behind it so the glass could be put in and then the adjuster pushed forward so the glass is tight against the L channel not leaving any gap.  I'd probably just use scrap mdf for the adjustable strip.

It would look best if it were just sitting on a ledge and the front was flush with the panel below.  But then you'd have to do something weird like suction cups or magnets though to ensure it wouldn't bounce forward off the ledge.

Food for thought TY sir   :cheers:

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #75 on: December 02, 2015, 10:46:35 am »
You're welcome, but browsing through your Black's Magic build to refresh my memory....what you have done there looks right to me.

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #76 on: December 02, 2015, 11:00:00 am »
You're welcome, but browsing through your Black's Magic build to refresh my memory....what you have done there looks right to me.

Yeah but the glass keeps pushing back leaving a front gap

I'd probably have to look into something similar to the viewlix speaker placement design, not sure how clean that would look though.

The speaker in teh CP might be the be route to go, as there will be alot of blank real estate with just p1 p2 controls and the 2 starts.

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 08:02:44 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #77 on: December 02, 2015, 11:00:22 am »
Subscribed

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #78 on: December 02, 2015, 11:38:20 am »

Its going in the Dave and Buster's room   >:D  Shout out to the homie Paul, myyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy "you know what time it is"

Fight the power, brother. Fight the power!

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #79 on: December 02, 2015, 11:45:30 am »

Fight the power, brother. Fight the power!

Yenome

• Offline Offline
« Reply #80 on: December 02, 2015, 12:53:21 pm »

There have been other discussions about 8 buttons, and i'll leave it with this comment.  If you or anyone else played with 5 buttons vs. 8 buttons on an MKX arcade, you would lose 99% of the time the 1% of victories would be due to hell freezing over.  The 8 buttons are so i dont have to contort my fingers the press multibutton combinations to pull off a simple move.  If you've played the game seriously you know what im talking about.

Go look at any pro-stick for this game, it will not just have 5 buttons.  The console stick uses 8, and my demo CP has 8 and it plays identical to the PS4 and console sticks, thats what im looking for.

To say i would lose 99% of the time using 5  buttons is streching it. the multibutton combos are not complicated and can be pulled off just as fast as hitting one button except for throw that one is a little weird. my layout for MKX uses 6 buttons

Oh i understand the arcade sticks have 8 buttons, only because the console it self has 8 or else there would be less. I havn't seen a fighting game yet that you need 8. Even MKX I only use 6 cause i do my own combo button presses instead of using the 7th and 8th button. Me personally I still have yet to see a single fighting game that used 8 buttons to do things you couldn't do with 6. but hey its not my build and i think it looks fine with the 8 i was just wondering why you was using 8.

only thing i changed from default was i made R1 do the same as L1. my layout on my stick come from a hori ps4 stick. so if i want to do a background interact i hit FP, BP. want to do my xray i hit FK, BK and BL which also happens to be a flip stance but ed boon said flip stance is only for seeing the other side of your character. so yes it can be done with 6 buttons and if i want to do a throw i can hit R1 or i can use the combo FP,FK but to me this feels weird and a little slower.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 12:55:49 pm by Yenome »

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #81 on: December 02, 2015, 01:20:17 pm »

To say i would lose 99% of the time using 5  buttons is streching it. the multibutton combos are not complicated and can be pulled off just as fast as hitting one button except for throw that one is a little weird. my layout for MKX uses 6 buttons

Oh i understand the arcade sticks have 8 buttons, only because the console it self has 8 or else there would be less. I havn't seen a fighting game yet that you need 8. Even MKX I only use 6 cause i do my own combo button presses instead of using the 7th and 8th button. Me personally I still have yet to see a single fighting game that used 8 buttons to do things you couldn't do with 6. but hey its not my build and i think it looks fine with the 8 i was just wondering why you was using 8.

only thing i changed from default was i made R1 do the same as L1. my layout on my stick come from a hori ps4 stick. so if i want to do a background interact i hit FP, BP. want to do my xray i hit FK, BK and BL which also happens to be a flip stance but ed boon said flip stance is only for seeing the other side of your character. so yes it can be done with 6 buttons and if i want to do a throw i can hit R1 or i can use the combo FP,FK but to me this feels weird and a little slower.

I agree with some practice I'm sure muscle memory would allow you a few wins  :)

In my research most FIGHT sticks have 8 buttons, if as you say only 6 buttons are needed why aren't the pro-sticks built with only 6 buttons for fighting games?  A majority of the sticks of this nature aren't used for RPG and or sports games, they are used for fighting.  The idea for pro-sticks is efficiency and speed, which is why 8 buttons are used.  Amuse me if you can, find a custom fight stick with only 6 buttons geared at playing the newer generation fighting games.

Here you can see 7 single buttons press are used for efficient execution (flip stance your right is pointless). Which do you think is easier, to press one button to get a throw or 2, press 2 buttons for xray or 3, 2 buttons for interact or 1?

I guess i'm confused as this hori PS4 fight stick also has 8 buttons.

So, I guess I prefer not to complicate a combo with multi-button presses if I dont have too, no one at EVO played with a 6 button layout.  Even on my PS4 i use all 7 buttons and all 8 when showing off.

But yes you can play the game with 6 buttons if you wanted to, however if im building it, gonna do it right and not leave off buttons for aesthetic purposes.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 01:30:01 pm by rablack97 »

Yenome

• Offline Offline
« Reply #82 on: December 02, 2015, 03:57:09 pm »

I agree with some practice I'm sure muscle memory would allow you a few wins  :)

In my research most FIGHT sticks have 8 buttons, if as you say only 6 buttons are needed why aren't the pro-sticks built with only 6 buttons for fighting games?  A majority of the sticks of this nature aren't used for RPG and or sports games, they are used for fighting.  The idea for pro-sticks is efficiency and speed, which is why 8 buttons are used.  Amuse me if you can, find a custom fight stick with only 6 buttons geared at playing the newer generation fighting games.

Here you can see 7 single buttons press are used for efficient execution (flip stance your right is pointless). Which do you think is easier, to press one button to get a throw or 2, press 2 buttons for xray or 3, 2 buttons for interact or 1?

So, I guess I prefer not to complicate a combo with multi-button presses if I dont have too, no one at EVO played with a 6 button layout.  Even on my PS4 i use all 7 buttons and all 8 when showing off.

But yes you can play the game with 6 buttons if you wanted to, however if im building it, gonna do it right and not leave off buttons for aesthetic purposes.

Yea most have 8 because like i said thats how many the consoles have. you wont see 8 on a snes stick cause the console only had 6. they only have as many as the console it self, which of course was in my post but you must of missed that part I was gonna quote the the last MKX tourny but since they didnt show the stick during the fight i dont know if they used 6 or 8. At EVO 2015 they used the controllers for the ps4 not an arcade stick so cant use them as an example since your not comparing apples to apples. Since i dont have to move my hand to hit those two buttons compared to the one then yea the two button combo is faster. personally i would move my hand if i used 4 buttons in a row during a fighting game.

Honestly i dont care if you put 25 buttons its your build what got me was how you gonna try to tell me i would only win 1% simply because i use a layout that you dont like or aint good at. Honestly for all you know i am sonicfox. you never know who is on the other end. It wasn't like i came into your thread and was like "OMG not 8 ---smurfing--- buttons wtf is wrong with you". I respected your choice and design but didn't get the same in return.

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #83 on: December 02, 2015, 04:24:39 pm »

Yea most have 8 because like i said thats how many the consoles have. you wont see 8 on a snes stick cause the console only had 6. they only have as many as the console it self, which of course was in my post but you must of missed that part I was gonna quote the the last MKX tourny but since they didnt show the stick during the fight i dont know if they used 6 or 8. At EVO 2015 they used the controllers for the ps4 not an arcade stick so cant use them as an example since your not comparing apples to apples. Since i dont have to move my hand to hit those two buttons compared to the one then yea the two button combo is faster. personally i would move my hand if i used 4 buttons in a row during a fighting game.

Honestly i dont care if you put 25 buttons its your build what got me was how you gonna try to tell me i would only win 1% simply because i use a layout that you dont like or aint good at. Honestly for all you know i am sonicfox. you never know who is on the other end. It wasn't like i came into your thread and was like "OMG not 8 ---smurfing--- buttons wtf is wrong with you". I respected your choice and design but didn't get the same in return.

Geez man i swear we got some soft ass people on this forum, they get their feelings hurt over nothing.

Its a discussion dude not damn put down battle.  If your good at it your good at it, Kudos to you.

I didnt miss anything, we are talking MKX, not a SNES game man, and I said find me a CUSTOM fight stick geared to the newer generation fighting games with only 6 buttons on it.  You are mistaken about EVO you could use the PS4 stick or a wired fight stick and those that i did see, custom built, didnt have a 6 button config.

Who said I wasnt good at the 6 button layout, who said i didn't like a 6 button layout.  I said i preferred the 8 button layout.

Anywho man, take a PS4 stick remove 2 of the buttons, or even use 6 button layout on a CP, a single button press is gonna beat a dual button press anyday.  If your a gamer then you already know this.  The 1% was an exaggerated % yes, but the overall winner wins based on execution, your handicapping yourself right out the box.

Every controller used at EVO utilized at least 7 buttons, since i missed everything you said in your first post MKX can be played with only 5 buttons.  Nobody showed up with a 6 button custom controller and wrecked shop.

And no you are not CR SonicFox sir, I highly doubt that kid is cruising these forums discussing arcade builds, plus he wouldn't have asked "Why are you using 8 buttons" he plays with a 8 button stick 24/7.

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #84 on: December 03, 2015, 05:52:40 pm »
okay, moving right along.....

Need some opinions about the bezel mount....

I'm attaching inside of a rebate in the bezel, the bezel will slide into pockets in the sides.

Couple of issues, if i go this route i'm pretty much stuck with this brand TV make and model dimension wise, and i lose the flexibility of adjusting it upon installation.

You guys think i should just lose the bezel/ monitor pocket and just mount the monitor and bezel with L-Brackets?

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #85 on: December 04, 2015, 09:02:38 am »
As far as things that might need replaced or might need removed to service other things, make sure they remain removable.
I wouldn't go the pocket route unless you were using plexi that could be flexed to pop into and out of the pockets.
Even then, it's probably not going to be all that nice of a transition between the plexi and side of the cab.

This morning, I took some pics of how mine goes together.
It will be a few hours before I get time to transfer from my phone and upload them.

So....the speakers are going into the CP then and the bezel glass will come all the way down to the top of the CP?
or is having a separate panel below the bezel glass (like your other cab) still on the table?
I was thinking that if you had the other panel there, it would be trivial to mount a strip of L shaped stock to the top of it.
Just as trivial to mount it lower at CP level I suppose.

EDIT: bah, would rather post pics on BYOAC than do my job first
Damn this thing is dusty (I'm in the middle of remodeling my house)

There are lots of ways to do this and I just kind of came up with this on my own, so I'm not saying it's the golden standard or anything.
The back of the plexi is resting against a larger piece of aluminum angle (L shaped) on each side.  I covered the front side of them in black electrical tape so it wouldn't scratch the plexi.  I'm using tinted plexi and a rotating monitor, so I just wanted it all black.  If I were doing bezel artwork, I'd have applied the artwork to a panel made out of 1/4" project board  (masonite) and put it behind the plexi.  You can find the aluminum angle in the hardware section of home improvement stores.

1st pic: The bottom is resting on a narrower piece of aluminum angle facing the other way.  I could (and probably should have) used U channel here.  I wanted to be able to reach around behind the bezel plexi for the sake of removing it or reaching the buttons on the monitor, so I JB welded large L brackets on the sides rather than have an mdf panel there.
It's held in place by two screws going into the sides of the cab.

2nd pic: You don't have to have the aluminum above the CP.  You can get a pretty nice looking joint by having it flush with the top of the CP (or plexi on top the CP).
Of course the edge it rests against needs to be cut at a matching angle.  (not that it mattered on mine since it's hidden by a moves list holder)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 10:08:25 am by BadMouth »

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #86 on: December 04, 2015, 09:37:37 am »
As far as things that might need replaced or might need removed to service other things, make sure they remain removable.
I wouldn't go the pocket route unless you were using plexi that could be flexed to pop into and out of the pockets.
Even then, it's probably not going to be all that nice of a transition between the plexi and side of the cab.

This morning, I took some pics of how mine goes together.
It will be a few hours before I get time to transfer from my phone and upload them.

So....the speakers are going into the CP then and the bezel glass will come all the way down to the top of the CP?
or is having a separate panel below the bezel glass (like your other cab) still on the table?
I was thinking that if you had the other panel there, it would be trivial to mount a strip of L shaped stock to the top of it.
Just as trivial to mount it lower at CP level I suppose.

Ok thanks man, i kinda figured that but wanted a second opinion, losing the pocket for the bezel.

Cool on the photos, will be looking out for them.

The bezel will drop slightly behind the CP and the CP will butt up against that.  The bottom of the bezel will have a painted L channel, similar to what we used to put the quarters on for next up.

Look close at the CP and the bezel in the Cowboys build, thats what i'm gonna do.  The L Channel holds the glass in place, and the CP butt nicely up to it, the reveal gives it a nice look.

Same concept for the mini....which is all blacked out now  :)

The admin panel on black's magic, I still really don't care for, plus i think adding a 2nd panel would make it that much harder to get the TV out, i'd like to see your photos though as im visual. :cheers:

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #87 on: December 04, 2015, 03:20:07 pm »
FYI Yenome and myself took that convo offline about the layouts and cleared up all the tension.

Also, anyone who knows me here, knows i like to talk trash, but its in no way personal.  I appreciate all of the feedback good or bad, however I do like to challenge and discuss the feedback along with some clowning.

In the end something good should come of it.... :cheers:

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2021, 12:21:09 pm
  • Don't half-ass two things, whole-ass one thing.
« Reply #88 on: December 04, 2015, 03:36:51 pm »
Also, anyone who knows me here, knows i like to talk trash, but its in no way personal.  I appreciate all of the feedback good or bad, however I do like to challenge and discuss the feedback along with some clowning.

...and great lookin' build so far. Love the fire behind the dragon. Keep up the good work!
If you can read this, it means Photobucket's money grab ruined my signature photos.

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #89 on: December 04, 2015, 06:24:18 pm »

...and great lookin' build so far. Love the fire behind the dragon. Keep up the good work!

I'm so stealing some of your techniques from the DK mini build....nicely done :applaud:

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
« Reply #90 on: December 04, 2015, 10:40:27 pm »
I'm so stealing some of your techniques from the DK mini build....nicely done :applaud:

Right on man. That's exactly what our build threads are for!   :cheers:
If you can read this, it means Photobucket's money grab ruined my signature photos.

Yenome

• Offline Offline
« Reply #91 on: December 07, 2015, 04:16:40 pm »
FYI Yenome and myself took that convo offline about the layouts and cleared up all the tension.

and i still don't like him. >:D ;D

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #92 on: December 07, 2015, 04:20:03 pm »
Wouldnt have it any other way....

Hate the builder not the build..........

RetroArcadePro

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 13, 2018, 04:35:41 pm
  • Here for everything and anything arcades.
« Reply #93 on: December 07, 2015, 07:12:17 pm »
Had to move recently so lost access to the makerspace I had there. Was fantastic having access to so many machines. Closest one hear is over an hour away and their router unfortunately does that have vacuum which makes things so much easier.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 07:20:21 pm by RetroArcadePro »

Pauly

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 17, 2020, 12:00:27 am
  • Greetings, Starfighter.
« Reply #94 on: December 15, 2015, 10:24:19 pm »
Excited about this build. LOVE MK. So, I have been messing with some renderings for fun to see what this thing would look like in front and....wow. Can't wait.

It's almost like you should have a GONG when you walk up cause this *&$@ is bout to get REAL. Possible design idea if your up to it. Logo emblem in the center is going to be awesome with the light, but maybe chip away at the wood to give it that weathered stone look - like its been chiseled in. That OND area standing alone like that practically looks like a stone tablet anyways.

Here is a video of a guy in a festive shirt creating a stone texture on a fireplace....Now imagine he tears off his shirt and there is flaming phoenix tattooed across his chest and he is showing you how to apply this to a Mortal Kombat cabinet.

Pauly

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #95 on: December 15, 2015, 10:32:33 pm »
Man that looks sharp.

Small update, all of the pieces are cut....more photos to come  :applaud:

rablack97

• Offline Offline
Re: MKX Dedicated CAB - CNC Design stage almost complete 1-12-2016
« Reply #96 on: January 13, 2016, 12:52:41 am »
This one isnt dead folks, Pauly is cookin up some killer graphics for this thing.

I just finished piecing it together and did test run of the guts to make sure everything was still working as expected.

Here is the build in its current state, all done on CNC with no screws, just pockets and glue :)

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
Re: MKX Dedicated CAB - Upright and operational 1-12-2016
« Reply #97 on: January 13, 2016, 10:47:38 am »
Looking good.

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #98 on: January 13, 2016, 10:50:15 am »
I see at least 8 screws.  Maybe 10.   ;)

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #99 on: January 13, 2016, 10:52:58 am »
 :dunno

Those aren't screws sir, those are bolts.....

Oh wait, i retract my statement, i used screws to mount the TV....... :banghead:

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #100 on: January 13, 2016, 10:54:31 am »
:dunno

Those aren't screws sir, those are bolts.....

Oh wait, i retract my statement, i used screws to mount the TV....... :banghead:

:cheers:

Looking good!

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #101 on: January 14, 2016, 06:19:03 pm »

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #102 on: January 14, 2016, 06:20:34 pm »

messing arounnd with tapatalk, so much easier to post photos this way.......... :cheers:

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #103 on: January 14, 2016, 08:05:10 pm »

messing arounnd with tapatalk, so much easier to post photos this way.......... :cheers:

yeah except the files arent saved on BYOAC, so they can be lost forever :/

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #104 on: January 14, 2016, 08:09:13 pm »
I asked Saint and PL1 if we could upgrade the site to drag and drop pics, i've grown tired of attaching pics, then having to keep two windows open, and copying and pasting url's into the post.

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #105 on: January 14, 2016, 08:12:33 pm »
That would cost money.  And don't forget Saint runs this site on his own dime.  (And it's free for us).

D

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #106 on: January 14, 2016, 08:17:28 pm »
Im not complaining it was just a request.  I'll just be posting via tapatalk though, i can just take the photo with phone and its immediately uploaded, if tapatalk goes away oh well.

It's just alot of transferring from phone to site to post, and by the time im done working on the machine, i have no energy to go back resize images, then rename em, then pick each one in order so it looks right in the post.

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #107 on: January 14, 2016, 08:38:51 pm »
Put that party light behind that biatch and let's see it!

Also add a fog machine, I want to feel like I'm in that forest with the belching face trees.

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #108 on: January 14, 2016, 08:42:54 pm »

Also add a fog machine, I want to feel like I'm in that forest with the belching face trees.

Its getting there, man, its getting there.

Getting lots of compliments on it at the space....the thing is LOUUUUDDDDD!!!!

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #109 on: January 15, 2016, 09:46:13 am »

The fog machine gets old after the first two blasts.
Someone gave me one for my home bar...just because.
First blast was all "woooo this party just went up a notch"
Next blast was "ok that's annoying, time to hide it"

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #110 on: January 15, 2016, 09:51:41 am »
I was just throwing shade, I wasn't being serious.

I do want to see that dragon lit though....

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #111 on: January 15, 2016, 10:34:18 am »
O i know this isnt your typical classy quarter eater goes against all rules of standard arcade builds, but its turning out really nice...

Nice not purist perfect..

The dragon looks cool...ill oblige you soon sir

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #112 on: January 18, 2016, 11:59:19 pm »
Graphics are complete.

I just have to say Pauly did an awesome job on these graphics, he is truly a genius when it comes to graphic design.  He takes a vision and makes it a reality, trully trully happy with this suite for the cab.

Control Panel

Control Panel Front

Control Panel Sides

Side Art

Left and Right of Front Dragon

Marquee

:applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: to Pauly
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 07:47:35 pm by rablack97 »

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • SHMUP'EM
Re: MKX Dedicated CAB - Graphics Update 1-18-2016
« Reply #113 on: January 19, 2016, 12:17:02 pm »
looks pretty good, what do the annotations on the side art say?

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #114 on: January 19, 2016, 12:32:39 pm »
looks pretty good, what do the annotations on the side art say?

Descriptions of the injury

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
« Reply #115 on: January 19, 2016, 12:48:36 pm »
I like the artwork. It's different and original.  :cheers:

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #116 on: January 19, 2016, 12:50:17 pm »
Okay I see it's like an Xray... It looked odd to me at first, but now I get it....

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #117 on: January 19, 2016, 12:56:24 pm »
Okay I see it's like an Xray... It looked odd to me at first, but now I get it....

Yessir, the x-ray is an actual special move in the game so it fits really well.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #118 on: January 19, 2016, 01:03:02 pm »
so glad to see it isnt fire scorpion vs ice subzero for the millionth time.    :cheers:

only thing I'd do differently  is horizontally flip one of the dragons on the side art so they are either both facing the front, or both facing the back of the cab

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #119 on: January 19, 2016, 01:05:52 pm »
so glad to see it isnt fire scorpion vs ice subzero for the millionth time.    :cheers:

only thing I'd do differently  is horizontally flip one of the dragons on the side art so they are either both facing the front, or both facing the back of the cab

good catch, ill see it that's easily done...

tomstewdevine

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 11:02:57 pm
  • Comics, Arcade, Family....... in that order.
    • A Comic Book Look
« Reply #120 on: January 19, 2016, 03:43:44 pm »
Cool art man, I like the x-ray effect and the switching of one of the dragons on the side art is a must.

IMO you should lose the the "MORTAL KOMBAT" vertically spelled on each side of the front dragon.  You don't need it to say Mortal Kombat again since you have the marquee.  It would look cooler with just the rock background without the words.
Finished: 2 bartops and a cocktail
Not-Finished: 1bartop, 2cocktails, and 2 stand ups.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #121 on: January 19, 2016, 03:45:32 pm »
Cool art man, I like the x-ray effect and the switching of one of the dragons on the side art is a must.

IMO you should lose the the "MORTAL KOMBAT" vertically spelled on each side of the front dragon.  You don't need it to say Mortal Kombat again since you have the marquee.  It would look cooler with just the rock background without the words.
Agreed.

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #122 on: January 19, 2016, 04:16:56 pm »
I don't know, I say keep the Mortal Kombat... Isn't it being over the top kind of the point?

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #123 on: January 19, 2016, 04:23:29 pm »
I don't know, I say keep the Mortal Kombat... Isn't it being over the top kind of the point?
I say he spells out the words "Mortal Kombat" using LED buttons...

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
« Reply #124 on: January 19, 2016, 04:28:41 pm »
I say he spells out the words "Mortal Kombat" using LED buttons...

Denzel in 3...2...1... :D

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #125 on: January 19, 2016, 04:29:23 pm »
Me and Rodney is tight, ya'll.

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #126 on: January 19, 2016, 04:32:12 pm »
Im sitting here reading all this foolishness, yall know you like this cab, you just dont wanna admit it......

Agreed.

I'm on the bubble about this one guys, considering it goes with the X on the dragon......i agree on the repetition though, i might have both way printed out to see which looks better.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #127 on: January 19, 2016, 04:33:40 pm »
It's a nice cab, bro. It's good. But I agree the extra words are redundant. But HBM brings up a good point... if you're gonna go full MK, you may as well go full MK.

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #128 on: January 19, 2016, 04:34:59 pm »
Never go full MK

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #129 on: January 19, 2016, 04:36:50 pm »
im actually absorbing the relevant comments, the Mortal Kombat might actually end up looking too small and the lava rocks may be the best route, when it put it together i noticed the opening was barely 2".

So it might end up w/o the verbiage anyway.... :dunno

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #130 on: January 19, 2016, 04:42:30 pm »
This stupid thing got me on Freakin TV.....Dammit

Paul shout out to the minorities on the forum for making it to the big time........... :afro:

http://cw33.com/2016/01/15/you-wont-believe-whats-being-made-at-dallas-makerspace/

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #131 on: January 19, 2016, 04:44:00 pm »
Is your party light going to show through those lava rock windows?

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #132 on: January 19, 2016, 04:45:35 pm »
nope, won't be bright enough man, i'm putting light boxes behind the the lava rocks marquees.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #133 on: January 19, 2016, 04:50:14 pm »

Paul shout out to the minorities on the forum for making it to the big time........... :afro:

http://cw33.com/2016/01/15/you-wont-believe-whats-being-made-at-dallas-makerspace/
Motherscratcher you better get your ass on a plane down to ZapCon this year...

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #134 on: January 19, 2016, 04:50:26 pm »
one of four in the world huh?  get that man an Emmy!

You could make it say FINISH HIM.... although that seem a bit gender-centric for today's modern MAME machine...

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #135 on: January 19, 2016, 04:53:01 pm »
Sweet! I watched the video! Rodney, my man!!

tomstewdevine

• Offline Offline
    • A Comic Book Look
« Reply #136 on: January 19, 2016, 04:53:48 pm »

Humble Brag.

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #137 on: January 19, 2016, 04:57:11 pm »

Humble Brag.

Dead serious, i just go there to work on the machine and this station was doing a spot on the MS.  The new guys was intrigued by the machine and when he came back asked if he could ask me a few questions about the build.  Next thing you know i'm on TV.

Looking like a tore down mule on crack....

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #138 on: January 19, 2016, 04:59:07 pm »
one of four in the world huh?  get that man an Emmy!

You could make it say FINISH HIM.... although that seem a bit gender-centric for today's modern MAME machine...

last guy on the forum said his was gonna be the 3rd, so im # four yippeeee.....stop hatin sir....

Nah, it'll be Mortal Kombat or just the lava rocks.

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #139 on: January 19, 2016, 05:00:26 pm »

Your in phoenix right, my homeboy said the women down there are off the chain, so i think i'm banned.... :cry:

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #140 on: January 19, 2016, 05:02:12 pm »

Your in phoenix right, my homeboy said the women down there are off the chain, so i think i'm banned.... :cry:
It's gonna be me, a Puerto Rican, a few gringos, one Aussie, and some Canadians. We'll keep you out of trouble!

tomstewdevine

• Offline Offline
    • A Comic Book Look
« Reply #141 on: January 19, 2016, 05:06:56 pm »

Humble Brag.

Dead serious, i just go there to work on the machine and this station was doing a spot on the MS.  The new guys was intrigued by the machine and when he came back asked if he could ask me a few questions about the build.  Next thing you know i'm on TV.

Looking like a tore down mule on crack....

hahaha, It's actually pretty damn cool that you got on TV making a Arcade Cab.

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #142 on: January 19, 2016, 05:31:17 pm »
Mad respect, bro!

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #143 on: January 19, 2016, 06:07:33 pm »

It's gonna be me, a Puerto Rican, a few gringos, one Aussie, and some Canadians. We'll keep you out of trouble!

I'm one of the gringos, so get your butt on a plane...    :cheers:

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #144 on: January 19, 2016, 06:16:00 pm »
I always read your posts in Bomoni Jones' voice. .. Thanks for ruining the illusion.

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #145 on: January 19, 2016, 06:58:02 pm »
I always read your posts in Bomoni Jones' voice. .. Thanks for ruining the illusion.

Mine?

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #146 on: January 19, 2016, 07:41:47 pm »
No Rodney's.  You sound like the jackass from The Wizard,  keep your power gloves off of her!

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #147 on: January 19, 2016, 07:43:24 pm »
No Rodney's.  You sound like the jackass from The Wizard,  keep your power gloves off of her!
WTH are you smokin man?

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #148 on: January 19, 2016, 07:52:41 pm »
Obscure movie quotes I guess.  I'm sure Zapcon is going to ruin a lot of preconceived notions of voice and appearance, though by now I've actually seen several of you mofos on here courtesy of Yot's pics etc.  In my mind though vwallbridge looks like corybee,  so that's one that's still to be revealed.

Back on topic though, since you're shelling windows have you already settled on the final games list or are you still adding support for other systems/games?

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #149 on: January 19, 2016, 07:57:43 pm »
Obscure movie quotes I guess.  I'm sure Zapcon is going to ruin a lot of preconceived notions of voice and appearance, though by now I've actually seen several of you mofos on here courtesy of Yot's pics etc.  In my mind though vwallbridge looks like corybee,  so that's one that's still to be revealed.

Back on topic though, since you're shelling windows have you already settled on the final games list or are you still adding support for other systems/games?

Man you ever been a member of a makerspace?  Trust me if you haven't then there are no surprises when you meet people.

We are all a bunch of hybird nerds is what it is.......

No, this is for MKX only nothing else going on it, as i already have a full blow mame machine.

I found a nifty way to have windows seamlessly boot directly into a full screen video like hyperspin, then boot up MKX.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #150 on: January 19, 2016, 08:03:35 pm »
Kudos to you, bro, for making it a dedicated machine and resisting the urge to turn it into just another MAME cab. :cheers:

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #151 on: January 19, 2016, 08:07:22 pm »
Kudos to you, bro, for making it a dedicated machine and resisting the urge to turn it into just another MAME cab. :cheers:

+10

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #152 on: January 19, 2016, 08:31:51 pm »

Learned from my bros.....

That was the intent from day 1 Paul, to do something different a little off the wall but refreshing to the hobby.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #153 on: January 20, 2016, 10:06:36 am »

+10

Let's not go overboard.  He did put 5.1 in it.  :D

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #154 on: January 20, 2016, 10:11:06 am »

+10

True, but 5.1 isn't as bad as seeing him play Dig Dug on that bad boy.

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #155 on: January 20, 2016, 11:56:39 am »

+10

No what I did was put a good sound system in it for $80.00, and it sounds awesome, and the surround sound effects are actually noticeable.  I'm sorry you prefer 2.1 with no flexibility in range of sound or maybe even just 2 speakers connected to a kinter or lepai amp.  If I wanted baby sound I would have went that route.

So what I got with my 5.1 was way better sound, a remote for volume, so I didn't have to put a knob or extra button in the build for voulume control.  15 different decoding variations for sound adjustments.  Once again all for $80.00.  So it wasn't a oh I gotta have a 5.1 it was wait for about 30.00 more than a micro sound setup, I can get a deeper sound quality.

To Paul's point im not playing dig dug on this thing in mono.  Next time I build a pacman or something I will ensure it has only 2 paper cone speakers and baby amp to appease you.   :cheers:

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #156 on: January 20, 2016, 01:53:40 pm »

+10

No what I did was put a good sound system in it for $80.00, and it sounds awesome, and the surround sound effects are actually noticeable.  I'm sorry you prefer 2.1 with no flexibility in range of sound or maybe even just 2 speakers connected to a kinter or lepai amp.  If I wanted baby sound I would have went that route.

So what I got with my 5.1 was way better sound, a remote for volume, so I didn't have to put a knob or extra button in the build for voulume control.  15 different decoding variations for sound adjustments.  Once again all for $80.00.  So it wasn't a oh I gotta have a 5.1 it was wait for about 30.00 more than a micro sound setup, I can get a deeper sound quality.

To Paul's point im not playing dig dug on this thing in mono.  Next time I build a pacman or something I will ensure it has only 2 paper cone speakers and baby amp to appease you.   :cheers:

Did you not see the  :D  ?

I was crackin on them, not you. (EDIT: although I did try to talk you out of 5.1)
 :cheers:

My cab has an Asus Xonar sound card, silk dome tweeters and a custom sub enclosure tuned <30hz.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 01:56:51 pm by BadMouth »

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #157 on: January 20, 2016, 02:37:21 pm »
Bro im not fussin at ya just joining in on the banter its all in fun...well hell look at you your just about as bad as i am with the overkill

Pauly

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 17, 2020, 12:00:27 am
  • Greetings, Starfighter.
« Reply #158 on: January 20, 2016, 02:48:20 pm »
Haha looking good Rodney! I have to say rablack97 had a specific vision of the artwork and specifically told me.

"Stay away from the Sub Zero and Scorpion artwork....that stuff is everywhere"

So first thing I gave him was a marquee with subzero and scorpion on it.....he was not impressed  :laugh2:
Pauly

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #159 on: January 21, 2016, 05:46:04 pm »
Baackside wiring completed

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
« Reply #160 on: January 21, 2016, 05:58:57 pm »
Apologize if I missed it but how is that TV mounted?

Also, did you hear that the latest MKX DLC is console only? That's a bummer.

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #161 on: January 21, 2016, 06:28:23 pm »
Apologize if I missed it but how is that TV mounted?

Also, did you hear that the latest MKX DLC is console only? That's a bummer.
Gravity....the cnc cut out the space so exact the tv is wedged in there and it only weighs 10 lbs

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #162 on: January 21, 2016, 06:40:38 pm »
im pretty sure they stopped supporting it due to all of the hacked versions out there that were getting this stuff for free

Its all about the dollars..its gonna force people to buy the console game am rebuy all of the dlc plus the new...

All this does is just push hackers harder to crack the ps4 and xbox...

They should of never ported to pc and had folks wasting there money on something they had no plans to support all the way through
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 06:44:16 pm by rablack97 »

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #163 on: January 24, 2016, 10:51:02 pm »
So Mk3Fan was onto something when he put a PS4 in his cab, it looks like i might have wasted alot of money on a PC for a where the support has been dropped.

I am now looking to find a refurbed ps4 and buy the mkx XL version coming out next month, i guess on a positive note, I'll have better online experience and access to all updates.

Just need to figure out what to do with the PC.... :banghead:

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #164 on: January 24, 2016, 11:03:48 pm »
So Mk3Fan was onto something when he put a PS4 in his cab, it looks like i might have wasted alot of money on a PC for a where the support has been dropped.

I am now looking to find a refurbed ps4 and buy the mkx XL version coming out next month, i guess on a positive note, I'll have better online experience and access to all updates.

Just need to figure out what to do with the PC.... :banghead:

if its free I'll take it :p

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #165 on: January 24, 2016, 11:04:43 pm »
Sure + $900 shipping  >:D

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #166 on: January 26, 2016, 04:02:46 pm »
Ok folks its done...here are the final structure photos...all it needs now is the graphics

]

« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 06:09:13 pm by rablack97 »

tomstewdevine

• Offline Offline
    • A Comic Book Look
« Reply #167 on: January 26, 2016, 04:17:27 pm »
Looks great man, can't wait to see the finished graphics. Hopefully a little bump of that power button won't shut the whole thing down, because it will be prone to bumping in that spot.

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #168 on: January 26, 2016, 04:18:08 pm »
Nope its flat and has to be pushed totally in...

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #169 on: January 26, 2016, 04:18:52 pm »
Been playable for about a week its been bumped and its never triggered shutdown

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #170 on: January 26, 2016, 04:22:41 pm »
Looking good, are you maxed out on the dispersion of light from the party ball?  Looking forward to seeing it in the dark.

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #171 on: January 26, 2016, 04:24:03 pm »
Ill upload videos this evening tapatalk doesnr allow it

tomstewdevine

• Offline Offline
    • A Comic Book Look
« Reply #172 on: January 26, 2016, 04:30:25 pm »
Nope its flat and has to be pushed totally in...

Perfect.

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #173 on: January 26, 2016, 06:28:26 pm »
Here is the boot sequence with my crappy phone video.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 07:54:04 pm by rablack97 »

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #174 on: January 26, 2016, 07:15:37 pm »
Looking good, are you maxed out on the dispersion of light from the party ball?  Looking forward to seeing it in the dark.

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • SHMUP'EM
Re: MKX Dedicated CAB - Structurally Complete 1-26-2016
« Reply #175 on: January 26, 2016, 07:24:12 pm »
Looks really great on video!

Out of curiosity how wide is your cab from side to side (contol panel notwithstanding ). I would like to make a new indiscriminate rule on which I judge cabs using this as a benchmark.

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #176 on: January 26, 2016, 07:28:51 pm »
30 3/4 w/o CP

32 1/4 with CP

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #177 on: January 26, 2016, 07:34:54 pm »
Sweet, the "If your non-pedestal cab is wider than rablack97's MKX cab HBM thinks it sucks" rule is now in effect

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #178 on: January 26, 2016, 07:35:49 pm »
lol anything bigger won't fit through a door man.......

ordered my XBOXONE last night   :badmood: , went ahead and got the 1tb elite with the SSD drive.

The MK folks pissed me off with this non support move, so Killer Instinct is gonna get some play in this bad boy, 2 of my faves AIO.... :cheers:

The custom PC is for sale for $800 plus shipping brand new all you need is a case

I5 haswwell
8 GB gaming memory
Krait gaming MOBO
650 watt PSU
samsung SSD drive
gtx 960 video card
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 07:40:25 pm by rablack97 »

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #179 on: January 26, 2016, 07:37:28 pm »
lol anything bigger won't fit through a door man.......

As if that stopped anyone at BYOAC before. ....

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #180 on: January 26, 2016, 07:49:52 pm »
Thanks for the video.  Pictures don't do that front panel justice.  Well done.   :cheers:

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #181 on: January 26, 2016, 08:37:01 pm »

Your phone may shoot crappy video, but the mic must be pretty damn good for the bass come through that clear.
The flame effect looks friggin' awesome!

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #182 on: January 26, 2016, 08:40:00 pm »

Your phone may shoot crappy video, but the mic must be pretty damn good for the bass come through that clear.
The flame effect looks friggin' awesome!

no that's called 5.1, the overkill system everybody hated on. that was like level 20, and it goes to 40.    :dunno

Thanks man, can't wait to see it in total darkness, the backlit sides and marquee should be in this week.... :applaud:
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 08:41:55 pm by rablack97 »

05SRT4

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:23:57 pm
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #183 on: January 26, 2016, 08:44:23 pm »
Dude!

That MK logo at the bottom is sick!

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #184 on: January 26, 2016, 09:15:05 pm »

Yenome

• Offline Offline
« Reply #185 on: January 31, 2016, 12:51:23 am »
That turned out great been waiting to see the end results.

Cobolisdead

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2017, 08:35:11 am
  • Restoring my 8th arcade machine, Mortal Kombat 2!
« Reply #186 on: January 31, 2016, 12:57:49 am »
This just looks amazing! :applaud: :cheers:

Scotty_C

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 02:54:51 pm
  • The addiction is strong!!
« Reply #187 on: January 31, 2016, 10:42:34 am »
This looks very nice! Love the MK logo.

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #188 on: February 01, 2016, 06:31:22 pm »
Got alot of the graphics installed, very happy with the results....

Artwork by Pauly

Printwork by Stpcore

Backlit printing done by HollywoodMarquees - kodak photo material with a double sided print.........Really deep dark blacks and no color washout!!!!!

« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 06:48:24 pm by rablack97 »

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • SHMUP'EM
Re: MKX Dedicated CAB - Graphics Installed 2-1-2016
« Reply #189 on: February 01, 2016, 06:33:58 pm »
Bad

Ass

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #190 on: February 01, 2016, 08:13:17 pm »
Backlit printing done by HollywoodMarquees - kodak photo material with a double sided print.........Really deep dark blacks and no color washout!!!!!
The next one has to be done a better way.

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #191 on: February 01, 2016, 08:43:36 pm »
Can never tell if you are throwing shade or complimenting

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #192 on: February 01, 2016, 08:46:03 pm »
Rodney, my man,  you know I'm all about the subtle... but those graphics look great.  Outstanding.

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #193 on: February 01, 2016, 10:17:03 pm »
Outstanding.  Your build is what this site is all about.  Push the envelope in a tasteful way.  I love it.

That front panel (even the "Who's Next?") is epic!   :cheers:

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #194 on: February 01, 2016, 10:25:34 pm »

Can never tell if you are throwing shade or complimenting

Understandable!

Man, that is weird.  When I hit post, my internet connection was messed up and the page just sat there.
I didn't think the post went through.
Half my post is missing.

I swear it said:

Thanks for sharing that.
I've always been disappointed with mine when it's lit up (washed out).

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #195 on: February 01, 2016, 10:27:35 pm »
Hit up hollywood marquees man very reasonable and the quality is the best ive seen

Yenome

• Offline Offline
« Reply #196 on: February 02, 2016, 01:22:30 am »
Perhaps i missed it but how are you connecting the controls to the ps... oops i mean xbone.

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #197 on: February 02, 2016, 08:56:29 am »
Perhaps i missed it but how are you connecting the controls to the ps... oops i mean xbone.

They just released yesterday....a bit pricey but not much cheaper than a xbox stick and ps4 compatability all in one....could be good for a console swap.

tomstewdevine

• Offline Offline
    • A Comic Book Look
« Reply #198 on: February 03, 2016, 12:09:54 pm »
Graphics on fleek.

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #199 on: February 03, 2016, 12:32:16 pm »
Graphics on fleek.
Have no idea what your talking about.

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
« Reply #200 on: February 03, 2016, 12:33:56 pm »
Graphics on fleek.

LOL. I'm glad you asked. I thought I might be the only guy that has no idea what that means.

tomstewdevine

• Offline Offline
    • A Comic Book Look
« Reply #201 on: February 03, 2016, 12:46:05 pm »
Graphics on fleek.

LOL. I'm glad you asked. I thought I might be the only guy that has no idea what that means.

Sorry guys, I was just being facetious. Your graphics are top notch.

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #202 on: February 05, 2016, 09:43:38 am »
Ok fellas stick a fork in this one....done

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #203 on: February 05, 2016, 09:44:27 am »

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #204 on: February 05, 2016, 09:48:15 am »

Just a few small things to tidy up.

Paint and install the the marquee holders.

Sync up the controls to the instructions.

Then reluctantly pull the PC and install and xboxone, the Brooks boards are on the way.

Its been fun, probably be the last one for awhile, gonna take a break.  Gonna take it to the Texas Pinball Festival in March to showcase.

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • SHMUP'EM
Re: MKX Dedicated CAB - Complete 2-5-2016
« Reply #205 on: February 05, 2016, 09:56:46 am »
Gah.... So wide... 8 buttons...those speakers make me think cup holders.....

So good though man, a unique build worthy of the game.

:applaud: the horror wasn't as bad as I thought.

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #206 on: February 05, 2016, 10:04:01 am »
Whats wide?

8 buttons yes, been through that conversation alot, played a guy last night on it thats pretty good at MKX and has built fight sticks.  He approved the layout and confirmed playing that game on that layout is easier than the standard MK layout.

You have to see/play it in person cupholder are the last thing you would ever think about.  Got raves on the sound quality.

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #207 on: February 05, 2016, 10:13:22 am »
 :afro:

The 8 buttons are fine bro, because you know why? The game it is meant to play supports them.

I'm just saying it goes against my taste but is still very good, and you can tell the sound is bumpin even on your youtube vids.  It is probably one of your best builds.

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #208 on: March 21, 2016, 10:55:25 am »
Best arcade in show beotches..........

The 8 button, furniture, 5.1 overkill speaker was a hit.

Much luv to all my haters (cough) forum homies, that said different wouldn't work....
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 10:57:00 am by rablack97 »

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
Re: MKX Dedicated CAB - Best Arcade in Show - 2016 Texas Pinball Festival
« Reply #209 on: March 21, 2016, 11:12:15 am »
Congrats!  :applaud:

Very nice build.

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #210 on: March 21, 2016, 01:24:11 pm »
Yeah yeah bruh but 8 buttons lol

Just kidding R! It's bad ass!

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #211 on: March 21, 2016, 02:09:48 pm »
Welcome to the club, brother. We're taking over, one show at a time...

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #212 on: March 21, 2016, 02:29:29 pm »
Well deserved.   :applaud:

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #213 on: March 21, 2016, 03:55:04 pm »
Kudos!  That sucker is bad ass build. Period.

DeL

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #214 on: March 21, 2016, 05:25:31 pm »
Man rablack97 looks so much cooler than those other dwellers....

That guy on the far right looks like what I assume would be a younger pbj.

n3wt0n

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 27, 2024, 05:03:38 pm
« Reply #215 on: March 21, 2016, 05:53:10 pm »
Congrats! It is a beautiful cab and the accolades are well deserved.   :applaud:

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #216 on: March 21, 2016, 10:26:42 pm »
All BS aside, everyone who commented on this thread is well respected in my book, every comment was taken into serious consideration with the design and end result.

Shoutout to Pauly Barnes as well, his graphic design was asked about the whole show.

Thanks to all the forum homies for helping inspire this creation.

Rodney  :applaud:

dmckean

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 13, 2024, 08:50:41 pm
« Reply #217 on: March 21, 2016, 10:36:13 pm »
This turned out amazing!

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #218 on: March 21, 2016, 10:51:48 pm »
All BS aside, everyone who commented on this thread is well respected in my book, every comment was taken into serious consideration with the design and end result.

Shoutout to Pauly Barnes as well, his graphic design was asked about the whole show.

You need to get your butt here to ZapCon, brother. Cutty say can't hang.

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #219 on: March 22, 2016, 08:22:18 am »

You need to get your butt here to ZapCon, brother. Cutty say can't hang.

Indeed.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #220 on: March 22, 2016, 10:59:04 am »
C'mon, Rodney. You go tell your old lady right now, "I'm going, and that's that."

rablack97

• Offline Offline
 :cry:  She's gone boys to a new home.

C'mon, Rodney. You go tell your old lady right now, "I'm going, and that's that."

Oh, the mrs. wouldnt care at all.

I just gotta bring myself to do it, cutty hates flying with a passion.

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
:cry:  She's gone boys to a new home.

Money talks. Congrats on the sale man! Hope you got top dollar for it.  :cheers:

scoodidabop

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:45:33 am
Congrats on best in show at Dallas TPF! The cabinet looks great.  Shame you sold it though since I was hoping you'd bring it to the Houston Arcade Expo.  I really wanted to bring my NASA cabinet to TPF this year but family medical situations got in the way.  Maybe next year! I should be at the Houston show though.

Congrats again on the build!

rablack97

• Offline Offline
Congrats on best in show at Dallas TPF! The cabinet looks great.  Shame you sold it though since I was hoping you'd bring it to the Houston Arcade Expo.  I really wanted to bring my NASA cabinet to TPF this year but family medical situations got in the way.  Maybe next year! I should be at the Houston show though.

Congrats again on the build!

When is the 2016 show, i'm building another one already and have parts on order, I may be able to get another one together before that show.

scoodidabop

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:45:33 am
It's in November.  Are you doing another MKX or is this something new?

rablack97

• Offline Offline
another MKX the one i sold has left a blank spot in the game room :badmood:

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 11:02:52 pm
  • Bitches love Centipede
Congrats on the win, man! :applaud:
%Bartop

rablack97

• Offline Offline
Congrats on the win, man! :applaud:

TY Sir, coming from you, I must of done something great  :cheers:

boomerps2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 17, 2018, 10:58:33 pm
« Reply #229 on: September 05, 2018, 05:05:23 pm »
Finished one full sheet of the 3/4 MDF 3 to go.

The front panel w/ dragon will have either white or clear plexi behind it with light behind it.

The sides will be black lettering on white vinyl lit as well, so there will be cutout with a 1/4" recess for the plexi to sit.  I'm trying to decide whether to light that from behind or use the glow from behind the front panel, similar to Ond's design.

Anyway to get the CNC plans on this?