Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: [SOLVED] Newbie - Help buying a stick and buttons  (Read 933 times)

TheOnlyShad0w

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 24, 2016, 03:45:48 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
[SOLVED] Newbie - Help buying a stick and buttons
« on: October 05, 2015, 06:55:56 pm »
I'm trying to find a good stick and buttons for my arcade cabinet build. This is the first thing I've ever done anything like this. I want to be able to play all kinds of arcade games and even console games on this thing.

I'm currently looking at these buttons with the Cherry microswitch. I like the design of these buttons over most of the others I've seen although I can't figure out what kind of quality the manufacturer is known for.

Before finding a stick I found these cool ball tops and didn't realize until later that they are only compatible with a couple different sticks so I'm looking at this Sanwa JLF-TP-8YT. As I said, I want to be able to play all kinds of games, however I do want something that'll maybe be better for Ms. Pac-Man and Galaga.

I also noticed that Focus Attack offers differently shaped inserts for sticks so I was wondering what would be ideal for a multi-arcade cabinet like this. My first inclination would be for octagonal but I'm not sure. I'm only 21 so I don't have much experience actually playing classic arcade games, but I've always loved playing them in console collections so now I want to build a cabinet to play them in a more traditional manner.

Thanks for any help!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 01:15:04 pm by TheOnlyShad0w »

stavros693000

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 14, 2022, 05:33:15 pm
  • I built my own arcade machine
Re: Newbie - Help buying a stick and buttons
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 11:49:51 pm »
the sanwa jlf is a nice stick and is the standed for japenese cabs. you cant really go wrong with one of those IMO.
and those buttons are happ concave which were on most cabinets in the usa and Australia through the 80's and 90's.

everyone has their own opinion on what the best stick/button is but for the purpose you want, those will do nicely
my first build classic style upright cabinet..... MARVELOUS FIGHTER (FINISHED) http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,133066.0.html

TheOnlyShad0w

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 01:06:11 am »
the sanwa jlf is a nice stick and is the standed for japenese cabs. you cant really go wrong with one of those IMO.
and those buttons are happ concave which were on most cabinets in the usa and Australia through the 80's and 90's.

everyone has their own opinion on what the best stick/button is but for the purpose you want, those will do nicely
Fantastic! Do you have any suggestions as far as plate shapes go?

jeremymtc

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:02:00 pm
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 03:58:07 am »
Fantastic! Do you have any suggestions as far as plate shapes go?

Octagonal is a good compromise to start with if you're going to be using it for a combination of 4-way and 8-way games: it'll give you some "definition" or feedback in terms of the stick position in the cardinals and corners.

If you wanted more accurate feel for 4-way games you could go with a square restrictor; square works well in both 4 and 8-way, but with less definition in the cardinal directions in 8-way.

Round restrictors are generally used for fighting games (8-way) as they facilitate sweeping movements, but give no real feedback for diagonals and cardinals on their own.

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2024, 12:40:25 pm
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 10:02:08 am »
Don't spend a lot of money on sticks before you realize the following:

Console games on a cab doesn't make near the amount of sense as you think it does right now, but if you must go there you should consider native controller support.

Aesthetic and functional compromise or big time $ is required to do four way and 8 way sticks in the same project.  Perhaps the definition of what you want this machine to be is too broad at the moment.

Control opinion varies widely from user to user, what you are asking is the equivalent of going into a focus group of rednecks and asking who makes the best trucks.  Buy some cheap ones to get an idea of what you like, then when you have the experience drop coin on sticks

WakiMiko

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 04, 2019, 03:17:46 pm
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 10:12:37 am »
Slagcoin has a comparison of sticks and buttons, with a focus on Japanese brands: http://slagcoin.com/joystick/attributes_brands.html

The rest of the site is a great resource too and I highly recommend reading all of it.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 11:03:32 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2015, 12:44:33 pm »
Control opinion varies widely from user to user, what you are asking is the equivalent of going into a focus group of rednecks and asking who makes the best trucks. 

Toyoter, obviously.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

TheOnlyShad0w

• Offline Offline
Re: [SOLVED] Newbie - Help buying a stick and buttons
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2015, 01:19:33 pm »
I ended up going with the stick and buttons I linked above and I decided to see what the default restrictor plate felt like and also added on a round and octagonal so I can test those, since they only cost me about a dollar each to add on.

I'm not looking for an exact arcade representation for my setup here, I just want something that feels close. I also don't expect this setup to be ideal for every single game, but I am hoping it at least feels good for pretty much everything, not perfect.

As long as you guys aren't saying anything negative about what I picked out I think it should work just fine. Thanks for your response :D

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:43:52 pm
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2015, 01:29:49 pm »
Was just about to chime in, but you've already pulled the trigger.

The IL buttons are decent.  I put the Japanese style convex buttons on my cab and sometimes with I had the old style concave ones.

You mentioned a few older games.  The JLFs have a super light spring in them.  You might not like this.
I described them as "dainty" the first time I tried them.
Luckily it's something that can be changed.  I think I ended up with a 3 or 4 pound spring in mine, but it's a matter of personal taste.
(the springs came from Paradise Arcade, but I order most of my Japanese parts from Focus Attack nowadays)

I used the octagon restrictor for a while.  I did better on most games with it.  It stops you from being as sloppy with the joystick.
You move the stick to a direction and then it's guided into the corner.  It even helps out a bit on Qbert.
I ride the restrictor when I play.  As time went on I didn't care for the bumpy feeling when doing circular movements, so I moved onto circular restrictors.

The good thing about this model stick is that there are lots of parts out there and it can be made into anything you want it to be.

TheOnlyShad0w

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2015, 02:43:19 pm »
Was just about to chime in, but you've already pulled the trigger.

The IL buttons are decent.  I put the Japanese style convex buttons on my cab and sometimes with I had the old style concave ones.

You mentioned a few older games.  The JLFs have a super light spring in them.  You might not like this.
I described them as "dainty" the first time I tried them.
Luckily it's something that can be changed.  I think I ended up with a 3 or 4 pound spring in mine, but it's a matter of personal taste.
(the springs came from Paradise Arcade, but I order most of my Japanese parts from Focus Attack nowadays)

I used the octagon restrictor for a while.  I did better on most games with it.  It stops you from being as sloppy with the joystick.
You move the stick to a direction and then it's guided into the corner.  It even helps out a bit on Qbert.
I ride the restrictor when I play.  As time went on I didn't care for the bumpy feeling when doing circular movements, so I moved onto circular restrictors.

The good thing about this model stick is that there are lots of parts out there and it can be made into anything you want it to be.
I did pick up the octagon restrictor as well as a 2Lb spring because I had the same concern. Is it difficult to switch out the spring?

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:43:52 pm
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2015, 03:00:24 pm »
I did pick up the octagon restrictor as well as a 2Lb spring because I had the same concern. Is it difficult to switch out the spring?

Not difficult at all.  Just don't lose the little E-clip.

TheOnlyShad0w

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2015, 03:33:04 pm »

Not difficult at all.  Just don't lose the little E-clip.

That looks super easy. Thanks!