Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Another rotating Monitor  (Read 10173 times)

SojuMaster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 07, 2016, 11:57:28 am
Another rotating Monitor
« on: October 01, 2015, 01:25:49 pm »
I have been reading a lot of the threads and I am hoping to follow in the steps of those who already completed great rotating monitor projects.

After reviewing many projects, it appeared that the Revolution project was my best bet. http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,121570.msg1289719.html
Also it did not hurt that he had a detailed list of the parts.

Up front: I am very amateur when it comes to electronics.  The vast majority extent of my experience is playing with my Raspberry Pi and just poking around and tring every combination on the bread board until I get the result I am looking for. I do have a strong computer and IT background, so this shouldn't be too much of a stretch for me.

So I followed suit and bought:
Pololu Simple Motor Controller 18v7 - user guide - https://www.pololu.com/docs/pdf/0J44/simple_motor_controllers.pdf
Amico 12v 10rpm 15kg/cm 130mA motor - Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00858TMYY?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00
Pololu 37D mm Metal Gearmotor Bracket Pair - Pololu
Pololu Universal Aluminum Mounting Hub for 6mm Shaft Pair, 4-40 Holes - Pololu
#1700 Premium Jumper Wire 50-Piece Rainbow Assortment F-F 6" - Pololu
2x Microswitches for stop limits- Amazon
300lb Lazy Susan

I am not sure what I am doing wrong, so I hope to get some assistance.

Installed the Motor Controller Software, no problem.

Took awhile to figure out the Microswitches because at first I was under the impression that the power to the motor was going to be directly killed by the switches by putting them in line between the motor and the power source.  It dawned on me that the Switch is be treated as a jumper on the motor controller board. I connected a wire from the Analog Ch2 pin to the common on the switch, then a wire from the NO to the Pot+ pin.  I did take a wild stab on that but it did appear to work as I was getting a response in the software.  (I tried the other two combinations and didn't get any response)

Found a 12v/1A DC power supply sitting in a drawer and stripped the ends and connected straight to the motor ... It spins.  I am getting excited now :)

Connected the Power to the VIN and GND terminals and the Motor to the OUTA and OUTB terminals ....  Plugged the controller back into the USB port, and I get nothing.  Stopped and restarted the software, click on the switch a couple times (just in case I had it wired the wrong way, NO vs NC).

The only two things I can think of, is that the DC power supply is not strong enough or that the WIN and GND are backwards.  (I am at work now, so I need to wait till I get home to switch the cables around). 

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Stephen

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
Re: Another rotating Monitor
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2015, 02:28:19 pm »
Are your microswitches held in until end of rotation? Or do they make at the end of rotation?
If they are not made (pushed in) until end of rotation, then you may need to change wire connections from Comm/NO to Comm/NC.
Not real sure, but it's a start.

Never mind, I see where you have already tested for that.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 02:40:42 pm by DaOld Man »

SojuMaster

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2015, 02:47:36 pm »
Are your microswitches held in until end of rotation? Or do they make at the end of rotation?
If they are not made (pushed in) until end of rotation, then you may need to change wire connections from Comm/NO to Comm/NC.

I guess I should have clarified better on my first post,  I am not getting anything in regards to the motor.   It is almost like the controller is not recognizing that there is a motor connected.  When I get home, I will shoot a quick video.

Stephen

SojuMaster

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2015, 07:54:53 pm »

Played around with it a bit more when I got home and when I reversed the leads from the 12V source and it worked.

I am going to play around with MaLa and see if I can get this working.

SojuMaster

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2015, 08:35:32 pm »
It is amazing what you can learn when you read the manual .....

So i have the first step complete

I know the wiring is really ugly but it is a start.