Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Map Display table to Arcade Game conversion  (Read 1254 times)

pgs49sullit

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 30, 2015, 06:48:57 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Map Display table to Arcade Game conversion
« on: September 30, 2015, 06:19:55 pm »
Hi everyone. I'm on my second project now and I'd like some help if you can. I'm converting a glass topped map display cabinet which has two large drawers into an arcade games cabinet. The workings will all be in the upper drawer viewable through the glass table top but masked such that only the LCD screen of a TV/DVD player will be in view. It's gonna be great and the majority of the build is now done but I do have a question regarding controllers. I thought that, rather than have the standard 2 sets of buttons and joysticks, would it be possible to control the machine through a joy pad or similar - say like a SNES game pad? The machine is not MAME but rather one of those 60 in 1 PCBs so no PC functions are required at all. I imagined the pads and mains lead being stored in the lower drawer and when the kids come round, all that's required is to plug the mains lead in and connect the two game pads, a remote control for the TV and Bob's yer uncle. But that depends on what's required to get the game pads working - what do ya'll think? Thanks.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:19:17 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
Re: Map Display table to Arcade Game conversion
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 06:25:00 pm »
The 60 in 1 is meant for a JAMMA setup using simple microswitches and controls. If you want to use gamepads, a PC would be better.

I like your idea of using the gamepads over arcade controls to be honest, but you're going to need to rethink the brains of this thing.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

pgs49sullit

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 30, 2015, 06:48:57 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2015, 06:46:00 pm »
Yotsuya, thanks for your response. I agree that the JAMMA board requires simple micro switches in order for it to work - but I think I may now have the answer. The old Neo Geo SNK game pad is based solely on micro switches and they are still available, though second hand, and mostly from Japan. It has a 15 pin (or so) female connector and I'd rather hoped that this could be the solution to my problem. It would depend on whether I can lay my hands on male connectors that I can fix to the faces of the drawer. From there on in it should be a doddle - what do you think?

JimmyU

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:38:09 am
  • I believe I can fly!
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2015, 10:58:42 am »
If you are going to use Neo-Geo game pads, you could throw a one slot MVS board in it with a 161-1 cart.