Arcade Collecting > Restorations & repair

Midway Cocktail restoration

(1/5) > >>

Picked up a Midway cocktail cabinet yesterday that I will probably end up putting an ArcadeSD board in after restoring it cosmetically as a Galaga.

The cab was listed as-is, the guy on craigslist was trying to sell it for his mother who had it in her apartment being used as a makeup table. Funny part is the cocktail was originally a Gorf and converted with a bootleg Donkey Kong Jr board and art that looks like it was taken out of an advertisement flyer.

After some cleaning the cab I was able to get the game working. The pinout adapter somebody made had a scorched pad that turned out to be the 5v+ line. After sanding it with some fine sandpaper and testing the switching power supply I put the board back in and bingo, it works. Only exception is the jump sound.. Monitor will need a cap kit and probably a new tube. I have a tube that could be used with a yoke swap, but I think I'd rather move the 19" k7000 I built last month in there instead. Not sure if I'll sell the g07, rebuilt it and sell it, or just keep it.

Also unsure what to do with the bootleg. Besides the fact it give non-inverted video and has a built in amplifier I can't see any differences from pictures of an authentic boardset. Will either keep it around for monitor testing or sell it after I get an arcadeSD board, until then I'll just keep it in the cabinet so it's useful.

I'll post a few pictures of it later.

So last week I went about fixing up the coindoor. Stripped it with citristrip and used a wirewheel to get off the surface rust. There were no scratches or dings to speak of so I'm quite pleased with the results

Also replaced the g07 monitor with a k7000 I rebuilt a few months back. It still needs a width cap change, but I'll be waiting until the final PCB is in. The bootleg works fairly well, only thing not working is the jumping noises and it has some sparkles in sprites before it warms up.

And after considering different options I've decided I'm going to re-laminate the cabinet. Homedepot has a decent selection and for 70$ I can get a sheet more than big enough, cheaper than vinyl, more original plus better looking and more durable. I was considering cover the old laminate with some paper backed veneer, but figured the durability would be crap. Ordered a heatgun, straight cutting bit and trimming bit for my router. Plan is to cut off the damaged bottom portion of the cab with the straight cutting bit to avoid taking the WHOLE thing apart. Cut and dowel replacement wood in and them apply new walnut laminate after stripping the old stuff off with help from the heatgun.

I have a cocktail that needs the same treatment, so I'm going to keep an eye on your re-lamination treatment.

I had read mixed reports on successfully removing the laminate from one of these, some saying it would be near impossible without tearing up the wood underneath and others saying a heat gun would release the contact cement.

Boy am I glad it was the later.

So after I got the heatgun I ordered I tried remove the laminate from one of the control panel sides. Hardest part is getting it started, might end up getting a utility knife for when I do the whole cabinet. It was fairly easy to remove the whole thing in one piece.

I might try and delaminate more of it this weekend, but it will probably have to wait till next weekend. Once thats done I'll cut out the damaged portion and replace it.

I got carried away

Also first real picture of how eaten up the corners are. You'd be forgiven for thinking they were supposed to be rounded.

So looks like next weekend will be the repair weekend.


[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version