Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Project Neon Flynn's: Yet Another COMPLETED Flynn's Arcade!  (Read 39801 times)

StefR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 13, 2019, 03:49:36 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,147459.0.html
Re: Project Neon Flynn's: Yet Another Flynn's Arcade!
« Reply #80 on: October 29, 2015, 09:44:20 pm »
Agreed, if it were me, I wouldn't light the back section and just have the 3D part lit up.

Still, this is so cool.  It makes the neon sign I wanted to have made for a bartop project look like dog ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---.

Dude, I have seen your work.  I am sure that whatever you come up with will look amazing.  If there is anything I can help with let me know.

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 07, 2021, 02:52:06 pm
« Reply #81 on: October 30, 2015, 09:38:11 am »
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 04:02:35 am by ChanceKJ »

StefR

• Offline Offline
« Reply #82 on: November 02, 2015, 10:00:17 am »
Made some progress this weekend.  Finished the CP (except for the missing T-molding), installed the coin door and the plexi.  I'll have to agree with Chance, the dark tinted plexi (#2074) looks fine to me.  Best 28$ I have spent.  We will see how it stands up to potential scratches but right now, I am very happy with how it looks. 

I used 3/16 plexi and I found that the scratch and snap technique did not work well for cutting it.  I had used this for the thinner lexan used on the marquee and CP and it had worked well.  The edge ended up not very nice and so I used my router to clean it up.  For thicker pieces, I would recommend snap cutting a bit longer and then trimming the excess with a router.  Hopefully that will help somebody in the future.

Next is T-molding and wire clean up inside.

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2024, 12:40:25 pm
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #83 on: November 02, 2015, 10:20:17 am »
It looks bad ass dude.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:02:22 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #84 on: November 02, 2015, 10:21:17 am »
Made some progress this weekend.  Finished the CP (except for the missing T-molding), installed the coin door and the plexi.  I'll have to agree with Chance, the dark tinted plexi (#2074) looks fine to me.  Best 28$ I have spent.  We will see how it stands up to potential scratches but right now, I am very happy with how it looks. 

I used 3/16 plexi and I found that the scratch and snap technique did not work well for cutting it.  I had used this for the thinner lexan used on the marquee and CP and it had worked well.  The edge ended up not very nice and so I used my router to clean it up.  For thicker pieces, I would recommend snap cutting a bit longer and then trimming the excess with a router.  Hopefully that will help somebody in the future.

I run my plexi through my table saw. Never had an issue cutting it.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

StefR

• Offline Offline
« Reply #85 on: November 02, 2015, 11:14:35 am »

I was tempted to do that but I saw that you need a special blade or at least something with high tooth count.  The blade on my table saw is pretty crappy so I went the router way instead. 

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #86 on: November 02, 2015, 11:27:32 am »

I was tempted to do that but I saw that you need a special blade or at least something with high tooth count.  The blade on my table saw is pretty crappy so I went the router way instead.
I've used both a laminate blade, and more recently a blade meant for ripping plywood, & I didn't have issues with either. If you have any scraps left over, you could always experiment. :Cheers:

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #87 on: November 02, 2015, 11:30:53 am »
I can't count how many times I have used the wrong blade for the job because of sheer laziness to change it out. I have usually been pleasantly surprised that my lack of motivation didn't make a real difference.

StefR

• Offline Offline
« Reply #88 on: November 02, 2015, 11:32:57 am »
I can't count how many times I have used the wrong blade for the job because of sheer laziness to change it out. I have usually been pleasantly surprised that my lack of motivation didn't make a real difference.

Good to know.  I didn't want to take a chance since I knew the router would do a nice job.  I'll play with the left overs and see how it comes out.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #89 on: November 02, 2015, 03:09:14 pm »
I think the Marquee section looks great man.  :applaud:
I wouldn't remove the brick texture at all, since it is part of that industrial look of where it comes from. What I would do is edit it a bit so that the highlights are a bit more toned down.  The issue I see with it currently is that the "whites" are being too lit-up, and is being washed-out by the back-lighting. If you toned that down a bit it wouldn't be so pronounced and would allow the Flynn part to stand on it's own.

StefR

• Offline Offline
« Reply #90 on: November 02, 2015, 04:51:58 pm »
I think the Marquee section looks great man.  :applaud:
I wouldn't remove the brick texture at all, since it is part of that industrial look of where it comes from. What I would do is edit it a bit so that the highlights are a bit more toned down.  The issue I see with it currently is that the "whites" are being too lit-up, and is being washed-out by the back-lighting. If you toned that down a bit it wouldn't be so pronounced and would allow the Flynn part to stand on it's own.

Thats kind of what i am thinking.  My first crack at it will be to dim the backlight.  I just need to finish all the rewiring before i can get to trying it.

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
« Reply #91 on: November 02, 2015, 10:29:03 pm »
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 04:02:14 am by ChanceKJ »

rablack97

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2022, 06:50:10 pm
  • If you don't try, you have no chance at innovation
« Reply #92 on: November 04, 2015, 11:57:27 am »
T-Molding....

Might want to look into this, t-molding.com

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #93 on: November 04, 2015, 12:38:44 pm »
T-Molding....

Stay classy, Rodney.

tomstewdevine

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 11:02:57 pm
  • Comics, Arcade, Family....... in that order.
    • A Comic Book Look
« Reply #94 on: November 04, 2015, 12:39:32 pm »
T-Molding....

...and on the other hand you might not want to.
Finished: 2 bartops and a cocktail
Not-Finished: 1bartop, 2cocktails, and 2 stand ups.

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:59:15 am
  • Flipping out
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137295.0.html
« Reply #95 on: November 04, 2015, 12:47:35 pm »
Might be just me but that looks like it might be a nightmare to install in a cab with any angles in it. From what I've read you apply the molding and then thread it through?

Surely there's a Build-Your-Own-Christmas-Tree forum for this sort of thing?  >:D

PS. Get off my lawn

PPS. Cab looks great. I've mentioned it before but thought it was worth mentioning again  ;D
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 12:50:29 pm by markc74 »

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #96 on: November 04, 2015, 01:12:35 pm »
Read the last line, EL wire, last I looked EL wire blue looks like tron blue illuminations, EL wire is way more flexible.

Reading is key, but i'm sure the picture just crayoned everybody in didnt it.

Whats funny is the OP innovated a new way to do marquees (which is pretty damn cool), not the standard marquee, but can be deemed Christmas-treeish.

Yep lets not look at other things people, lets keep it BORING.......

« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 01:45:58 pm by rablack97 »

Aceldamor

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 25, 2019, 05:10:51 pm
  • You know you hear the music in your head...
« Reply #97 on: November 04, 2015, 01:45:12 pm »
Read the last line, EL wire, last I looked EL wire blue looks like tron blue illuminations, EL wire is way more flexible.

Whats funny is the OP innovated a new way to do marquees, not the standard marquee, but can be deemed Christmas-treeish.

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a woman!

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Flipping out
« Reply #98 on: November 04, 2015, 01:45:29 pm »
The marquee works because it re-imagines the original signage in the perfect place for the cabinet and therefore is a inspired addition that really adds to the theme of the cabinet.

My query was that if you had to thread the lights through the t-molding once installed then that looked like it could be problematic if there were any hard angles in the profile of the cabinet - having recently rewired some of my house I know how difficult threading anything through a small channel can be. Alternatively, if it was installed in the molding first then would it be damaged by the action of 'hammering' it into the groove. If EL wire is immune to these problems then great - I don't have any experience with it so it was a genuine question.

The Christmas tree reference was a joke hence the  >:D evil icon. Illuminated t-molding is not for me but whatever floats your boat  :cheers:

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #99 on: November 04, 2015, 02:38:06 pm »

Whats funny is the OP innovated a new way to do marquees, not the standard marquee, but can be deemed Christmas-treeish.

The marquee works because it re-imagines the original signage in the perfect place for the cabinet and therefore is a inspired addition that really adds to the theme of the cabinet.

My query was that if you had to thread the lights through the t-molding once installed then that looked like it could be problematic if there were any hard angles in the profile of the cabinet - having recently rewired some of my house I know how difficult threading anything through a small channel can be. Alternatively, if it was installed in the molding first then would it be damaged by the action of 'hammering' it into the groove. If EL wire is immune to these problems then great - I don't have any experience with it so it was a genuine question.

The Christmas tree reference was a joke hence the  >:D evil icon. Illuminated t-molding is not for me but whatever floats your boat  :cheers:

It's EL Tape, wrong reference....i dont disagree with you on the complexity, my point was if he thought outside of the box for the marquee, this wasnt too far off from the same thought process....
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 02:41:48 pm by rablack97 »

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #100 on: November 04, 2015, 02:52:22 pm »

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Flipping out
« Reply #101 on: November 04, 2015, 03:11:18 pm »

Now I agree that does look amazing.

But then I have a far more serious problem. Spouse approval  :cheers:

StefR

• Offline Offline
« Reply #102 on: November 04, 2015, 04:49:58 pm »
My first thought is to stay away from more lights on this thing and keep the focus on the marquee.  That's what made me go for regular buttons instead of illuminated.  That being said, I have learned multiple times on this build that I don't really know what I want until I try it and see how it looks.  Probably for that reason alone, I will give it a shot eventually.  Until then I will first install the regular orange T-Molding, if it could ever arrive...

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #103 on: November 04, 2015, 05:33:07 pm »
The centerpiece of this cab should be the marquee. That T molding? Not so much.

Besides, we already had a conversation about this T molding the other day. You must have missed it, my friend.

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #104 on: November 04, 2015, 05:34:00 pm »
My first thought is to stay away from more lights on this thing and keep the focus on the marquee.  That's what made me go for regular buttons instead of illuminated.  That being said, I have learned multiple times on this build that I don't really know what I want until I try it and see how it looks.  Probably for that reason alone, I will give it a shot eventually.  Until then I will first install the regular orange T-Molding, if it could ever arrive...

I like your philosophy. If you feel it needs more, then you can always U-P-G-R-A-Y-E-D-D (spelt with two D's for a double dose of pimping.)

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #105 on: November 04, 2015, 05:34:24 pm »

Yeah, but if you look closely at that T molding, you see a seam down the middle, so looks like two split pieces per side. Close, but no cigar.

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #106 on: November 04, 2015, 06:22:56 pm »
Thats how the older versions of EL tape were made for the 1/2" to 3/4", that pic is 5 yrs old.

They have advanced the design since then.

Plus you can control the intensity of the lighting, by dialing down the voltage, so that part would be subtle, not overwhelming.

Anyhow just an idea, just figured it tied the whole FLYNNS - TRON thing together.  The night shot would be really cool with the blue outlines then with Flynns lit up bright in the middle...

Couple that with another innovation in this build  :dunno

« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 06:26:13 pm by rablack97 »

StefR

• Offline Offline
« Reply #107 on: November 04, 2015, 06:25:52 pm »

Yeah, but if you look closely at that T molding, you see a seam down the middle, so looks like two split pieces per side. Close, but no cigar.

Agreed.  I am only considering the el tape option which wouldnt show dots or a seam (i would think).  I added rgb led strips between the layers on the kick plate and i am not sure i like seeing all the dots.  I might replace it with el tape.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #108 on: November 04, 2015, 06:46:37 pm »
Thats how the older versions of EL tape were made for the 1/2" to 3/4", that pic is 5 yrs old.

They have advanced the design since then.

Plus you can control the intensity of the lighting, by dialing down the voltage, so that part would be subtle, not overwhelming.

Anyhow just an idea, just figured it tied the whole FLYNNS - TRON thing together.  The night shot would be really cool with the blue outlines then with Flynns lit up bright in the middle...

Couple that with another innovation in this build  :dunno
Yeah, but that picture you used, that was this year, not 5 years ago.

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
« Reply #109 on: November 04, 2015, 06:53:02 pm »
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 03:59:29 am by ChanceKJ »

wp34

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #110 on: November 04, 2015, 07:14:46 pm »
I was under the impression that the line on that Tron was due to using two thin pieces of EL Tape between the "T".  That was something I considered at one point which is where my assumption is coming from.  The version that T-molding.com should not have the line down the middle.

To me the focal point of this build is that amazing marquee.  I wouldn't add anything that distracts from it.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #111 on: November 04, 2015, 07:18:37 pm »
I was under the impression that the line on that Tron was due to using two thin pieces of EL Tape between the "T".  That was something I considered at one point which is where my assumption is coming from.  The version that T-molding.com should not have the line down the middle.

To me the focal point of this build is that amazing marquee.  I wouldn't add anything that distracts from it.
Totally agree. Anything more than that marquee light starts getting into Dave and Busters territory.

StefR

• Offline Offline
« Reply #112 on: November 04, 2015, 07:27:10 pm »
Following my indecisive process of trying s**t before I know what I want, I ordered 1.5m of this stuff for 10 bucks.  I'll post back when I get it.  Usually takes a month to get stuff from Alibaba so I might be in the Christmas spirit when that shows up :)

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #113 on: November 04, 2015, 08:56:15 pm »
 :applaud:  finally someone willing to go beyond this

Just be careful, the stuff i saw on aliexpress, had the strip down the middle.

Not sure if you knew but aliexpress has alot more to offer on a consumer level in stead of a dealer, its alibaba's little brother.

My bad on the year mixup on this photo, that was this year, i had 2011 in my head for some reason.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 09:00:06 pm by rablack97 »

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #114 on: November 04, 2015, 09:03:31 pm »
:applaud:  finally someone willing to go beyond this

Just be careful, the stuff i saw on aliexpress, had the strip down the middle.

Not sure if you knew but aliexpress has alot more to offer on a consumer level in stead of a dealer, its alibaba's little brother.

My bad on the year mixup on this photo, that was this year, i had 2011 in my head for some reason.

Yeah, but be careful or you'll end up with this...

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2024, 12:40:25 pm
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #115 on: November 04, 2015, 09:04:58 pm »
Pimp my cab

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #116 on: November 04, 2015, 09:07:10 pm »
Rodney is my homeboy and I have a ton of respect for him, but I don't think this cab needs any MORE light. That marquee is awesome, and besides, Flynn's Arcade had more than just Tron inside.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 09:10:45 pm by yotsuya »

StefR

• Offline Offline
« Reply #117 on: November 04, 2015, 10:49:45 pm »
Rodney is my homeboy and I have a ton of respect for him, but I don't think this cab needs any MORE light. That marquee is awesome, and besides, Flynn's Arcade had more than just Tron inside.

Totally agree and that is the plan.  But I can't help to try stuff, especially when its cheap.  In the back of my mind, I am thinking of probably using the El tape to replace the LED strips I have on the kickplate.  I doubt I would end up using this as T molding but seems fun to try.

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #118 on: November 04, 2015, 11:02:53 pm »

Yeah Paul is

It's not an argument bro, these are our opinions, the OP is gonna do what he wants at the end of day.  Does it neeeed it, probably not, but it doesn't hurt to try new stuff, cause you never know.

Who would of know a 3d printed marquee would be loved around here, but he tried it and it worked out well.  He might slap on the EL's and be like hell no, but then again, it might be damn that looks pretty sharp.

The marquee is a highlight for sure, but hey go all out if your gonna do it.....he has enough sense to pull idea if it looks like total ass.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 11:07:36 pm by rablack97 »

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #119 on: November 04, 2015, 11:04:21 pm »

Yeah Paul is

It's not an argument bro, these are our opinions, the OP is gonna do what he wants at the end of day.  Does it neeeed it, probably not, but it doesn't hurt to try new stuff, cause you never know.

Who would of know a 3d printed marquee would be loved around here, but he tried it and it worked out well.  He might slap on the EL's and be like hell no, but then again, it might be damn that looks pretty sharp.

The marquee is a highlight for sure, but hey go all out if your gonna do it.....he has enough since to pull idea if it looks like total ass.