Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: New RetroBlast Review: Ultimarc ArcadeVGA Card  (Read 4555 times)

KevSteele

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 01, 2021, 08:42:43 am
  • Retrogaming Media Mogul in Rehab
New RetroBlast Review: Ultimarc ArcadeVGA Card
« on: January 06, 2004, 08:10:13 pm »
It's been a while, but the holidays are now over and I've finally got a new review up - this time its a review of the Ultimarc ArcadeVGA card.

http://www.retroblast.com/reviews/avga.html

Sorry, no video review this time (it's nearly impossible to get good video footage off a video monitor due to sync issue!)

Kevin
Kevin Steele, Former Editor and Publisher of RetroBlast! and GameRoom Magazine

OSCAR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 06, 2018, 11:31:53 pm
  • I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem...
    • Oscar Controls
Re:New RetroBlast Review: Ultimarc ArcadeVGA Card
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2004, 08:16:52 pm »
Nice write-up as always, Kevin!

Speaking of sync issues, didn't Andy figure out that the problem with the Act-Lab's gun is due to having a combined H & V sync?  Was there a problem with your particular configuration that prevented this fix from working?

For reference:  http://www.arcadecontrols.org/yabbse/index.php?board=4;action=display;threadid=10990

KevSteele

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 01, 2021, 08:42:43 am
  • Retrogaming Media Mogul in Rehab
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2004, 08:45:12 pm »
Kelsey,

The sync changes didn't fix my problem -- I did have some success by switching back to an unshielded cable from the shielded VGA cable I was using, but it only gave me a "half screen" when calibrating - the left side of the screen was white, while the right side showed the desktop and the two sides "bled" into each other.

I could calibrate fine on the left side, but not on the right. Sort of useless, but it was progress.

Kevin
Kevin Steele, Former Editor and Publisher of RetroBlast! and GameRoom Magazine

OSCAR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 06, 2018, 11:31:53 pm
  • I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem...
    • Oscar Controls
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2004, 08:58:25 pm »
Ahh, thanks for the info.  I was never able to make my ArcadeVGA/Act-Labs combo work either, but I had twisted the syncs together on my cable hack.  Since then, though, I now have the ArcadeVGA in my cocktail (which isn't very friendly for experimenting, pretty cramped), so I haven't gone back and modified the cable to see if it would work.  I have heard of some successes with the ArcadeVGA/Act-Labs combo, so I had hoped the sync fix was the solution.  It sounds as if there are other unknown factors contributing to the incompatibilities, too, such as you have found.