Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Connecting external speakers to AMI Rowe R-90  (Read 7383 times)

JukeBob

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 01, 2015, 08:24:35 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Connecting external speakers to AMI Rowe R-90
« on: September 20, 2015, 10:59:02 pm »
Hello. I am new to the Jukebox forum. My wife surprised me with a working R-90 Stereo Jukebox this past summer and I am just getting around to inserting 45's and printing title strips.  My question is how does one connect external speakers?  I see the terminals but not sure what to do next. Simply connect each bare wire lead to the terminals?  Or do I need to use u shaped connectors? The upper 5" midrange and the lower subs are working.  I do have to replace one of the subs as I am hearing a buzz/pfft like sound from it. The external speakers I want to hook up are rated at 8 ohms.  I do not have a manual.

ami-man

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 19, 2020, 01:22:45 pm
Re: Connecting external speakers to AMI Rowe R-90
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 06:14:26 am »
Hello JukeBob,

Welcome to the forum.

If the amplifier is the original and the jukebox is still fitted with an output package? This should be in the amplifier compartment, it is 25cm x 11cm or 10 inches x 4.5 inches approx, it has E1 to E7 connections Left & Right.

You should find that there are a number of cables attached to these tappings, the jukebox speakers are usually connected as follows:-

Black (common) E1 Right
Violet (left channel) E6 Left
Pink (right channel) E6 Right

Red (left channel Wall Box/extension speaker) E4 left
Brown (right channel Wall Box/extension speaker) E4 Right

To balance any extension speakers you can increase the extension speaker tapping connections or reduce the jukebox speaker tappings.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

JukeBob

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 11:23:30 am »
Yes its the original amplifier.  Kinda dirty in that compartment.  The E1 to E7 are slightly different than your example:

Black (common) E1 Right

Pink   (left channel)   E6 Left
Violet (right channel) E6 Right

Red   (left channel Wall Box/extension speaker)  E5 Left
Pink  (right channel Wall Box/extension speaker) E7 Right

First I will give it a good cleaning.  Do I need to modify the tapping configuration?  Thank you!

JukeBob

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2015, 09:56:03 pm »
Correction:   Can't have two Pink wires.  My eyesight isn't that great anymore  :D

Black (common)         E1 Right
Tan   (left channel)     E6 Left
Brown (right channel) E6 Right

Sorry about the confusion.

dolph

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 02, 2015, 02:16:37 am
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2015, 02:43:06 am »
Hi first time on.i have a rowe ami cd 100 jukebox that needs attention I put on a track played fine next selection picked up cd turned on carousel no sound. I ejected cd made a n other selection nothing. Cd didn't pick up and selection basket won't move. Need advice thanks regards dolph

ami-man

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 19, 2020, 01:22:45 pm
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2015, 10:00:19 am »
Correction:   Can't have two Pink wires.  My eyesight isn't that great anymore  :D

Black (common)         E1 Right
Tan   (left channel)     E6 Left
Brown (right channel) E6 Right

Sorry about the confusion.

Hi,

I would clean all the cables going to the E1 to E7 tapping so you can clearly see the cables.
In normal jukebox operation the E7 tapping left & right are not used; jukebox operators used these tappings for special installation hook ups. so what ever cable is on E7 right needs putting on another tapping.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

JukeBob

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2015, 12:27:54 pm »
Hello Alan.  I have cleaned all the cables and have the tappings connected to the exact combination that you originally specified.   :applaud:

Working on this juke is like going back in time to the 80's - plugs, wirings and pins...all cool stuff!   I have been reading about wall-boxes and their connections to the Jukebox. I found a manual for the R90 and I'll buy that this weekend.  Next step?  Do I connect to the tappings on the amplifier or to the terminal strip located on the top door of the amplifier compartment? 

Thanks,

JukeBob

Originally from Kenosha, Wisconsin, I live 45 minutes south of Cleveland, Ohio, U.S.A.

JukeBob

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2015, 09:17:45 pm »
Alan,

The Ami Rowe R-90 Jukebox is a rockin' thanks to your advice.  Balancing the extension speakers vs the internal speakers and while I am at it adjusting the left/right bass and treble settings to maximize the listening pleasure.  Thank you for pointing me in the right direction! :cheers:

JukeBob

Originally from Kenosha, Wisconsin. Now residing 45 minutes south of Cleveland, Ohio, U.S.A.

joshuasb80

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2021, 11:29:41 pm
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2018, 05:25:09 pm »
Hello. I am new to the Jukebox forum. My wife surprised me with a working R-90 Stereo Jukebox this past summer and I am just getting around to inserting 45's and printing title strips.  My question is how does one connect external speakers?  I see the terminals but not sure what to do next. Simply connect each bare wire lead to the terminals?  Or do I need to use u shaped connectors? The upper 5" midrange and the lower subs are working.  I do have to replace one of the subs as I am hearing a buzz/pfft like sound from it. The external speakers I want to hook up are rated at 8 ohms.  I do not have a manual.
Hi JukeBob, just curious how the external speakers are working out for you?  I am looking to add some as well, so was wondering what kind you connected?  Thanks!