Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Allied Leisure, Star Shooter (my first pin)  (Read 28258 times)

sorothoth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 13, 2018, 10:16:30 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Allied Leisure, Star Shooter (my first pin)
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2018, 10:16:58 am »
Duh...yeah drop target.  I haven't been at this long.  Need to get my terminology correct.

My 5v is solid but I will be replacing with a 5v switching power supply.  It's the power to the coils (I believe that's the circuit-it's been a week or so since I was looking at it) that is blowing the main fuse.  The resistor number you gave me was the final piece I needed to replace components on that circuit( replacing all components on the board actually)  Something on the board in that circuit is blowing the main fuse because I can disconnect everything outgoing from the pcb leaving incoming power from transformer and that circuit will cause the main fuse to blow.  When I remove that circuit's fuse with only the incoming power connected the main fuse does not blow.  Primitive way to diagnose but like I said I'm new to this.  Removed the 8000mfg electrolytic cap and its not testing correct and as I understand it a bad one can draw too much current.   
I appreciate the responses.  Especially seeing how old the thread is.
-James

GoddTodd

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 05, 2021, 07:35:23 pm
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2018, 02:08:17 pm »
Hi Chopper,

I just sent you a PM.
I just bought one of these tables and mine is in need of some power board repairs not unlike your own.

I've attached a pic of my current power board.
As you can see, it needs some help.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Todd

GoddTodd

• Offline Offline
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2018, 06:55:47 pm »
I think I figured out my shopping list for power board parts.
However, I see you have a new fuse in F5, but I don't see any reference to it.
What did you put in there?

GoddTodd

• Offline Offline
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2018, 10:58:24 pm »
I ended up starting a blog on Pinside.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/allied-leisure-star-shooter-diving-into-the-restoration-deep-end#post-4551969
There's lots of pictures there.
As you can see from reading it. I'm having a lot of the same power board issues as you and have been documenting my progress with it.
I haven't even begun to think about lighting but will take your advice.

Congrats! Best of the bunch. Got any pics? what's the current state? Were you blessed with chimes or a blip sound board? Please don't led it. I did find some leds that look perfect in the pop bumpers, didn't want to keep cooking the covers with #47 bulbs. I tried many many leds from everyone in the pops and comet has a winner.

good day.

chopperthedog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:46:24 am
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2018, 10:03:17 am »
Duh...yeah drop target.  I haven't been at this long.  Need to get my terminology correct.
Those might be tough to find unless you happen to run into someone at the right time parting out an allied table out. I have one never used drop target I'm obviously keeping, I had one that was shot completely, but was able to repair 4 others that were bad in mine with epoxy and small strips of plastic for reinforcement.

Hi Chopper,

I just sent you a PM.
I just bought one of these tables and mine is in need of some power board repairs not unlike your own.

I've attached a pic of my current power board.
As you can see, it needs some help.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Todd
Looks like your power board is a different revision, I wonder if F5 is used on the units that have chimes for sound. Where that green plug is, that's where you're gonna want to wire a new switching power supply for good 5v to main pcb, only 4 wires on that plug, real easy to figure out which 2 are the ac line and -/+ 5 from the ps. I hope you ordered a bunch of extra fuses, have a feeling you're gonna be hunting down a couple shorts on the play field or within the transistor section on the pcb. Take it one step at a time, and verify voltages as you go, keep in mind there is gonna be a mix of ac and dc, check docs for pin outs and values.

good day.

GoddTodd

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2018, 05:20:08 pm »
LOL, my bad.
Like on your board, there is no F5 on mine either.
I had not ordered extra fuses yet, but you're right, I guess I'm going to go through a number of them before I get everything figured out.
BTW, is the voltage on your 8000uf replacement capacitor 40v? I'm having trouble finding that part at Mouser. I suppose once I get the bridge rectifiers installed, I should test the existing parts first before ordering any expensive replacement parts.
My primary goal right now should probably be to get it working just well enough to test the cpu board.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:09:19 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2018, 08:43:29 pm »
If you keep instantly blowing fuses, you can wire in an incandescent light bulb across the fuse holder.  It will keep glowing while you figure out where the dead short is.

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2021, 12:25:59 am
  • Technician
« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2018, 10:08:11 pm »
8000 uf @ 40 volts is no longer a standard value of capacitor. You can use a 10,000 uf @ 50 volts instead.

mrhocuspocus

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 24, 2021, 12:46:49 am
« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2018, 12:32:02 am »
Hi chopper,
Thanks for making this thread!

I have one of these, and I was hoping you might have some advice. I'm having an odd issue that happens 95% of the time, 5% of the time the game works fine. Game turns on fine, but when you insert a coin it stops all activity on the main board (led3/4 stop flashing and most of the active logic is frozen).

I have traced the coin up signal from J2 pin 21 to IC8 and IC6 and it gets there successfully. I swapped out IC8 with another 6520 with the same results. On a test bench with only 5v connect I get the same results (95% chance to lock up). Address decoder appears to be working but I can only see that it has activity and that the outputs that will never be high or low behave correctly.

Anyone with advice will be appreciated.

Game_Dr

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 27, 2018, 09:59:49 pm
« Reply #49 on: September 27, 2018, 08:45:33 pm »
All restores are a labor of love. She looks great.

I did not see where you had found the correct drop targets but that got me thinking. My wife does crafts a lot and she has a machine that I have used to make several templates of various things from a simple line of text stencil to a 5 piece stencil that was used several times on his RC plane. He loves TMNT and I made him a very happy camper and the envy of his friends with it. Each stencil was for a different color applied in the correct sequence. Stickers/decals can't be used as the fuel eats the adhesive. You can buy blank targets and paint them yourself. Stickers or decals will peel after while.

Most of the cutters have programs that are very intuitive and easy to use, even for the novice. 

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:09:19 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #50 on: September 27, 2018, 10:53:22 pm »
I print drop target art on shipping labels, slap clear packing tape on them, and affix to the targets. Lasts years.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:26:41 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2018, 01:55:13 am »
PMs sent on September 1st and 26th.

Not sure if you got them, Toby.   :dunno

Scott

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2021, 12:25:59 am
  • Technician
« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2018, 12:08:47 pm »
I see over on the pinside forums there is a thread about making modern cpu boards for Allied Leisure machines.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-allied-leisure-mpu