Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Pedestal Xero  (Read 18843 times)

Xerobull

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 06, 2024, 02:07:05 pm
  • Push it to the limit.
    • Pedestal Xero
Pedestal Xero
« on: September 18, 2015, 04:21:20 pm »
UPDATE 01/2019

Installing all RGB LED buttons and upgrading the sticks to Sanwa (also RGB)

LINK to Control Panel PSD (Photoshop) File. Other items added at the bottom of this post under 'resources'

UPDATE 9/20: Updated CP layouts

Hey guys- Been working on a pedestal design for a few weeks.

Four player led-backlit controls, backlit trackball, no other controls outside of possibly a wiimote for gun/wheel setup if I can get the dolphin bar working acceptably.

Control panel will incorporate an embedded 12-inch widescreen monitor for marquees/control layouts/art.

Main monitor (32") will be mounted on the wall.

I'm shooting for black base with red t-molding. I'll probably do laminate as I have kids in the house that will beat the hell out of it and paint might not be a durable solution.

Here's my beta control panel layout, some of which is shamelessly canibalized from other people's designs; I got the base PSD files from saneless on reddit (I know he's a user here somewhere too).

As this is a beta, I'd like some constructive feedback on the button/joystick layout. I just realized that the 1-4 start/coin buttons were a little mixed up. Here is a thumb of the CP design and a link to the lifesize cp. Characters are subject to change- I have had some suggestions I'll try to throw in there. The characters come from games & characters I grew up with, as well as some my 9-year-old son loves.

---Layout with JUST controls & embedded monitor.

NOTE: The grey outline for the embedded monitor is for illustration purposes only; the finished product should be fairly invisible when turned off.

UNSCALED (HUGE) VERSION HERE

---Layout WITH characters & embedded monitor with graphic mock:

UNSCALED (HUGE) VERSION HERE

Thanks for looking!

Resources:

LINKto Control Panel PSD (Photoshop) File

Button Layout Template

For the embedded monitor, I re-purposed a small laptop monitor with an LCD Controller board. THESE ARE MONITOR SPECIFIC. Ask the seller if it is compatible with your monitor.

Here's the one i purchased on eBay

Here's another one on Amazon

Pedestal measurements:

« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 03:40:08 pm by Xerobull »

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
Re: Pedestal Xero
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2015, 04:28:25 pm »
Welcome to the fleet!

Aircraft carrier parking is tight, so its all on a first come first serve basis.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2021, 12:21:09 pm
  • Don't half-ass two things, whole-ass one thing.
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2015, 04:32:12 pm »
Aircraft carrier....check

8 buttons...check

EVERY single video game character...check

monitor ON the control panel...check

angled joysticks...check

...you got it all covered

EDIT: Of course, I tease. :)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 04:40:03 pm by vwalbridge »
If you can read this, it means Photobucket's money grab ruined my signature photos.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:47:56 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2015, 04:37:55 pm »
32" monitor is too small.

Xerobull

• Offline Offline
  • Push it to the limit.
    • Pedestal Xero
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2015, 05:06:38 pm »
32" monitor is too small.

Is it, though? The pedestal will be close to the wall...maybe a few feet back. If I get much bigger info is going outside of my field of vision.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2015, 05:10:49 pm »
I had a 39".  It was adequate.  Now I've got a 48".  I wish it was a 55".

8BitMonk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2023, 05:27:00 pm
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2015, 06:07:04 pm »
Layout feedback:
  • Player 1 & 3 on the right?
  • The button outlines overlap the joystick outline, looks bad and may cause an issue with the buttons hitting the joystick mounting plate.
  • You may not want/need that many admin buttons.
Games: Asteroids Deluxe | Atomiswave | Centipede | Championship Sprint | Defender | Donkey Kong | Dig Dug | Frogger | Ikari Warriors | Missile Command | Pac-Man | Pole Position | Robotron | Spy Hunter | Tempest | Super Mario Strikers

Xerobull

• Offline Offline
  • Push it to the limit.
    • Pedestal Xero
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2015, 06:31:59 pm »
    Layout feedback:

• Player 1 & 3 on the right?
    • The button outlines overlap the joystick outline, looks bad and may cause an issue with the buttons hitting the joystick mounting plate.
    • You may not want/need that many admin buttons.

That's a typo; 3-1-2-4 will be the layout

The button design is a perfect copy of the 'Sega' layout from Slagcoin. The graphic overlap was intentional. The spacing works fine. However, I can delete the joystick portion that underlaps the buttons- that was something I was leaning towards anyway.   :)

BTW, found the original design and thread by the member here, Jarrett. Thanks for the awesome work!

Thanks for the feedback! Keep 'em comin'!

Question- I want to put two buttons somewhere in there for mouse buttons- ideas?[/list]
    « Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 07:01:40 pm by Xerobull »

BGoulette

• Offline Offline
    • Last login:March 25, 2024, 05:19:40 pm
      • lazerjoose.com
    « Reply #8 on: September 18, 2015, 11:57:00 pm »
    Please don't angle your players 3 and 4 joysticks! :(

PL1

• Global Moderator
    • Offline Offline
    • Last login:Today at 02:12:01 pm
    • Designated spam hunter
    « Reply #9 on: September 19, 2015, 01:03:00 am »
    I want to put two buttons somewhere in there for mouse buttons- ideas?
    Why?   :dunno

I understand having them on a portable controller that you connect to non-dedicated computers, but if you have your FE/emulators/other software set up properly on a dedicated system, you shouldn't need them.

Have you installed and configured the software to see exactly which admin buttons you need and actually use?

Scott

Xerobull

• Offline Offline
    • Push it to the limit.
      • Pedestal Xero
    « Reply #10 on: September 19, 2015, 09:17:30 am »
    Please don't angle your players 3 and 4 joysticks! :(

Noted- I'll change this. Thanks!!! ;D

I want to put two buttons somewhere in there for mouse buttons- ideas?
    Why?   :dunno

I understand having them on a portable controller that you connect to non-dedicated computers, but if you have your FE/emulators/other software set up properly on a dedicated system, you shouldn't need them.

Have you installed and configured the software to see exactly which admin buttons you need and actually use?

Scott

Good point on the mouse buttons. I do have the front end set up, no need for mouse, really. I was thinking utility, but...You're right. I'll have a pull-out keyboard/mouse tray anyway. Thanks! :)

Saneless

• Offline Offline
    • Last login:September 19, 2015, 12:29:26 pm
    • I want to build my own arcade controls!
    « Reply #11 on: September 19, 2015, 11:58:42 am »
    I have mouse buttons, but I set them to be the 7th button on P1 and 2 (out of 7buttons). They're rarely used in games but I like having them. The few games that need B7 would need to be remapped anyway and they use the mouse buttons just fine

Xerobull

• Offline Offline
    • Push it to the limit.
      • Pedestal Xero
    « Reply #12 on: September 20, 2015, 08:38:02 pm »
    Cleaned up some graphics, added the embedded monitor mock, changed the orientation of the p3&4 joysticks to not be angled. NOTE: The grey outline for the embedded monitor is for illustration purposes only; the finished product should be fairly invisible when turned off.

Feedback requested:

Control placement

Where to put master controls/ suggestions on master controls. Currently I'd like to have Select/Launch, Exit, Pause, Menu, Save, Load...any others that you guys have found useful in the past?

Background: Keep black, add graphics?

Thanks, all!
    « Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 08:40:06 pm by Xerobull »

Green Giant

• Offline Offline
    • Last login:September 29, 2016, 06:50:57 pm
    « Reply #13 on: September 21, 2015, 07:14:29 pm »
    Cleaned up some graphics, added the embedded monitor mock, changed the orientation of the p3&4 joysticks to not be angled. NOTE: The grey outline for the embedded monitor is for illustration purposes only; the finished product should be fairly invisible when turned off.
    Have you already purchased the embedded monitor?  For something minor like that which will just be instructional, why so big?  Why not a 6" or 8" screen?  If you are set on 12", is it behind plexi because follow-through on that trackball could hit the thing.

As for the graphics, all black is not enough but 200 characters is too much.  Cut out like 80% of those characters.  Less is more.
    Plus no need for the explanation on players/coin 1-4.  You are using LED buttons so get the translucent inserts and place them behind the plungers.
    Feedback requested:
    Control placement
    Where to put master controls/ suggestions on master controls. Currently I'd like to have Select/Launch, Exit, Pause, Menu, Save, Load...any others that you guys have found useful in the past?
    Why so many buttons?  What all are you going to emulate?  All you need are 4 buttons for players 3 and 4 and 7 for player 1 and 2.
    And even 7 is overkill since you will have LED buttons and could always illuminate the top 3 and button 1 for neo-geo games.

For admin buttons, only put exit, pause, and maybe select on your control panel.  I would put select, exit, and pause on the player 1 side of the screen.  Possibly another pause on the player 2 side of the screen.  And if it was my panel I would actually put a second exit button on player 2 side that require both to be pressed at the same time to exit (discourage sore losers).

If you want menu/save/load you can either use a shift key or place them somewhere hidden like under the panel or on the back of it.
    "He lives down there in his valley,
    The cat stands tall and green,
    Well, he ain't no prize, and there's no women his size,
    And that's why the cat's so mean"
    Toxic Arcade, my first build

Xerobull

• Offline Offline
    • Push it to the limit.
      • Pedestal Xero
    « Reply #14 on: September 22, 2015, 10:20:35 am »
    GG- Thanks for the feedback! H-town represent!

Embedded monitor- I came in to it. Also, I've looked at smaller monitors and I feel like anything under 9 will be too small. This can also double as a gaming monitor in a pinch. It will be covered so the trackball follow-through won't be an issue.

Admin buttons- I like utility. But, I love your idea of having some on the back side of the CP, and I love the shift key idea (it's on ipacs anyway, duh!).

Player buttons- MUGEN. You can play four player, six button games all day long. For player one and two, with fighting games, you can use buttons 4 and 8 for PPP or KKK, or some other macro. Utility. AND you can substitute buttons as joysticks for dual joystick games. I know it's not as elegant as a second joystick but take a look at hitboxes- these wackos play fighting games JUST buttons!  ;D

Graphics- I completely get that there are purists/artists here that have honed their craft, knowledge and tastes to a fine edge, and that what I am planning may make their eyes bleed. I could easily make something extremely clean with perfect lines and angles. If I were single I would do something clean and perfect like a tribute to Frank Lloyd Wright, with minute details like the Flynn's Arcade cab with it's faux serial, embroidered bar stool, perfectly clean pixels, etc. However, the idea behind this cab is that it's for my family, friends, and me. The characters I've laid out are a montage and tribute to things I think are awesome. The feedback I've gotten from my family and friends is a unanimous, jaw-dropped WOW. That's why it's bursting with characters and every button and joystick will light up. I want it to give the impression of somewhere between a 1980's arcade on a Friday night and a Vegas gaming floor.

Thanks again for the feedback- keep 'em coming!  :applaud:

Hmm...wish I hadn't gone on that Frank Lloyd Wright tangent- my brain is buzzing with design ideas now..

scoodidabop

• Offline Offline
    • Last login:Today at 01:48:26 pm
    « Reply #15 on: September 22, 2015, 01:25:02 pm »
    Lookin good dude.  Didn't realize so many of us here were from H-Town!  :cheers:

I'll be keeping an eye on this one.

Green Giant

• Offline Offline
    • Last login:September 29, 2016, 06:50:57 pm
    « Reply #16 on: September 22, 2015, 06:32:26 pm »
    Lookin good dude.  Didn't realize so many of us here were from H-Town!  :cheers:

I'll be keeping an eye on this one.
    Another h-towner?  This is the perfect week for you.  Ya'll can do some research here:
    http://www.joystixamusements.com/pacmanfever/default.asp

Also Xero you didn't say anything about the player/coin buttons.  I like the circle around each one but like I said, delete the writing and use these:
    http://www.ultimarc.com/ultralux.html
    You could do it white and RGB or just have them per color for each player.

As for admin buttons, just remember you don't want to over complicate things and people will press a button if they see it.  Human nature after all.
    « Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 06:37:10 pm by Green Giant »
    "He lives down there in his valley,
    The cat stands tall and green,
    Well, he ain't no prize, and there's no women his size,
    And that's why the cat's so mean"
    Toxic Arcade, my first build

severdhed

• Offline Offline
    • Last login:October 07, 2022, 04:45:32 pm
    • RIP Dinosaur Hippo
    « Reply #17 on: September 23, 2015, 11:17:56 pm »
    looking good, my 4 player pedestal gets used pretty heavily.   As for admin buttons, i say go with as few as possible.  IF you are the only one playing the cabinet, then having a bunch of admin buttons can be convenient, however you are building a 4 player cabinet, which indicates you intend to have other people playing it.  It has been my experience, that people will just push buttons, all of the buttons, just to see what they do.    aside from action buttons coin and start buttons, i only have 1 other button on my panel.  It is located in the center of the panel and serves two functions. It is setup with an autohotkey script so that with a quick press, it acts as the pause button, but if you press and hold it for 3 seconds, it is the exit button.  this makes it so nobody accidentally exits the game, yet it is easy to exit when you need to.  it also keeps the panel from being cluttered. I am using an Ipac 4 for my controls, the nice thing about the ipac is that it not only can be set to support key strokes, but also mouse clicks.  i have p1 b1 and b2 as mouse left and right click when the shift button is held down.  this allows me to have mouse buttons when i need them, but prevents them from being activated accidentally.  It isn't the easiest thing to use, but it you just need a click or two, it is fine.  I keep a wireless keyboard w/ touchpad inside the cabinet if i need to do more. 

as for the number of buttons per player, that is overkill for mame, but if you plan on playing PC games, or console emulators, then having the extra buttons could come in handy. 
    Current Projects:      Zak-Man | TMNT Pedestal | SNES Pi | N64 Odroid
    Former Projects:     4 Player Showcase | Donkey Kong | iCade

Xerobull

• Offline Offline
    • Push it to the limit.
      • Pedestal Xero
    « Reply #18 on: September 24, 2015, 05:11:44 pm »
    Thanks for the feedback, severdhed!

I read your build thread a while back; you inspired me to get a drill guide. Such an awesome, ingenious gadget. No love at Harborfreight any more but Amazon has them.

Buttons (GG too): I scrapped all of the text next to all of the buttons except players 1-4. I'll be doing inserts for the admin/player/coin buttons. I will be emulating tons of stuff so see the need for extra buttons. Admin buttons- I'm still debating the amount of admin buttons. I think I might still keep several but have a side/hidden shift key that has to be pressed for most of the buttons to work.

I got with Lucian the print guy and have my graphics almost finalized. I'm struggling a little with getting the colors right for printing; I have exactly an hour of Illustrator experience, so any tips at this point would help.

Thanks!

scoodidabop

• Offline Offline
    « Reply #19 on: September 27, 2015, 09:52:33 am »

Another h-towner?  This is the perfect week for you.  Ya'll can do some research here:
    http://www.joystixamusements.com/pacmanfever/default.asp

Oddly enough I STILL haven't been to Joystix! I'd like to go soon though.  Do you guys make it out to the Arcade Expo in November?

Thanks for the feedback, severdhed!

I read your build thread a while back; you inspired me to get a drill guide. Such an awesome, ingenious gadget. No love at Harborfreight any more but Amazon has them.

Buttons (GG too): I scrapped all of the text next to all of the buttons except players 1-4. I'll be doing inserts for the admin/player/coin buttons. I will be emulating tons of stuff so see the need for extra buttons. Admin buttons- I'm still debating the amount of admin buttons. I think I might still keep several but have a side/hidden shift key that has to be pressed for most of the buttons to work.

I got with Lucian the print guy and have my graphics almost finalized. I'm struggling a little with getting the colors right for printing; I have exactly an hour of Illustrator experience, so any tips at this point would help.

Thanks!

Those drill guides work ok but there's a little slop in them so you have to be careful.  Still better than freehand most of the time though.  Good move on the shift function.  I use the preconfigured 'Start + Right' on the IPAC all the time for MAME menus.  Super handy and it stays out of your way.

pbj

• Offline Offline
    • Obey.
      • The Chris Burke Band
    « Reply #20 on: September 27, 2015, 02:57:57 pm »
    Nobody goes to Joystix.  Game Preserve in Humble is a bigger deal but I'm not driving that far.  Get your butt to LSPA in Hockley if you haven't been.

I'll make an appearance at the expo. 

:cheers:

Xerobull

• Offline Offline
    • Push it to the limit.
      • Pedestal Xero
    « Reply #21 on: September 27, 2015, 09:00:17 pm »
    A few updates:

I've pretty much finalized my graphics. Not a huge change from what's posted now. I hope to have them by Friday.

I'm going to do the pedestal base almost exactly like Severdhed's TMNT Pedestal. The shape will be the same but the doors, vents, etc, will be a little different. I'm also doing a fold-out opening with a pull-out keyboard tray.

I decided on MDF and painting after all. Protip: All big-box store saws cut at a slight angle (in my experience), so be aware that getting your wood cut in-store is going to require you to do clean-up cuts at home.

I'm putting recessed castors on the bottom as I have four left over from a store shelf I scrounged from the back of a closed furniture store. Two of them have locks.

I will be cutting the MDF this week and fleshing out the base.

I realized I hadn't ordered the T-Molding yet. I'll do that now.

Side tangent: I've been brainstorming different, creative builds over the past few weeks, mostly due to reading these forums and seeing the absolute masterpieces and great members here. I've also had a couple of friends approach me about building them cabs after I showed them my plans. I'm hesitant to pursue either of these threads further because this pedestal was supposed to be my one build for the next few years, but it makes it hard. Oh, and I also came into an unknown-make multiple classic game cab that I need to go pick up; that will make three with the pedestal and the busted-up gutted Double-Dragon cab that was given to me last month.... I don't think my house is big enough.  >:D

Thanks again for all of the awesome feedback!

Nobody goes to Joystix.  Game Preserve in Humble is a bigger deal but I'm not driving that far.  Get your butt to LSPA in Hockley if you haven't been.

Honestly, Joystix is open too late for me these days. I used to be a first in, last out kind of bar-hopping guy but now with a family, regular work-hours job and grad school, starting at 9 PM is too much for me as that's usually when I'm winding down. LSPA sounds more my speed and I would travel a good ways to play pinball all day.
    « Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 09:08:59 pm by Xerobull »

scoodidabop

• Offline Offline
    « Reply #22 on: September 28, 2015, 03:51:03 pm »

Game Preserve is the jam of course.  Haven't been to LSPA but I love their website! http://lspinball.com/musuem1.html

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
    • Last login:November 12, 2023, 05:41:19 pm
    • NOM NOM NOM
    « Reply #23 on: September 29, 2015, 07:08:43 am »
    Your going to have issues of Bashing your hands into the joystick, when using that Trackball.

You should have at least a  1ft diameter circle area around the trackball, that is free from any vertically high objects.   By offsetting the controller Near low buttons..  it wouldnt be symmetrical..  but might save you and friends from broken fingers.

I will add... i think its a little cramped.  You have to imagine peoples forearms ... ans how they will be nearly overlapping overs buttons / controls.
    The pointed cp angle may also be reconsidered.. as someone might try to rest against the side of the machine, and be quite discomforted.

The Aircraft Carrier comment is typical of a Stagnant OCD attitude.

This isnt a unified cab.   Its a pedestal.  Its also not an arcade machine that was designed for smaller kids, and to take less floorspace up.. so that the Op's didnt complain (wanting more games in the arcade, rather than merely monstrous machines).   

Its a home machine.  Its yours.  Make it as big and comfy as you wish.   These guys are not living in your house.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 07:18:47 am by Xiaou2 »

Xerobull

• Offline Offline
    • Push it to the limit.
      • Pedestal Xero
    « Reply #24 on: September 29, 2015, 02:32:08 pm »
    Your going to have issues of Bashing your hands into the joystick, when using that Trackball.

You should have at least a  1ft diameter circle area around the trackball, that is free from any vertically high objects.   By offsetting the controller Near low buttons..  it wouldnt be symmetrical..  but might save you and friends from broken fingers.

I will add... i think its a little cramped.  You have to imagine peoples forearms ... ans how they will be nearly overlapping overs buttons / controls.
    The pointed cp angle may also be reconsidered.. as someone might try to rest against the side of the machine, and be quite discomforted.

The Aircraft Carrier comment is typical of a Stagnant OCD attitude.

This isnt a unified cab.   Its a pedestal.  Its also not an arcade machine that was designed for smaller kids, and to take less floorspace up.. so that the Op's didnt complain (wanting more games in the arcade, rather than merely monstrous machines).   

Its a home machine.  Its yours.  Make it as big and comfy as you wish.   These guys are not living in your house.

Thanks for the feedback!

No worries on snarky comments. Doesn't bother me at all. I think 'Aircraft Carrier' is rather apt and funny.

As far as this being cramped...It might end up being that way. I know this basic CP layout has been copied several times on these forums and I've never seen a complaint about the trackball being too cramped. I've also had a MAME cab before with less room and it wasn't an issue (that I remember, anyway). At any rate, this is turning into a proof of concept more than anything else as I'm getting a lot of interest in building a few for my friends. If it's too much of a cramped layout I will build another one and flip this one! :)

I will add that I've been building my PC game collection for the pedestal and there are several modern games that need 7-8 buttons, so I feel a little vindicated in additions.

Keep 'em coming- I learn from everything, so bring teh snarks.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
    • Offline Offline
    • Last login:Today at 01:02:22 pm
    • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
      • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
    « Reply #25 on: September 29, 2015, 03:46:15 pm »
    Keep 'em coming- I learn from everything, so bring teh snarks.

Any dude that can roll with the punches gets the Yots Seal of Approval.  :cheers:
    ***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

lamprey

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Offline Offline
    • Last login:January 17, 2019, 07:03:11 pm
    « Reply #26 on: September 30, 2015, 06:11:35 pm »
    The button design is a perfect copy of the 'Sega' layout from Slagcoin. The graphic overlap was intentional. The spacing works fine. However, I can delete the joystick portion that underlaps the buttons- that was something I was leaning towards anyway.   :)

Out of curiosity, have you put that button layout to any tests? Meaning, use cardboard and put your buttons in it and see how it feels playing games? I don't know about you but my right hand doesn't feel comfortable bending to the right to play games. My hand naturally is angled to the left. TL;DR - Find that button layout very uncomfortable, YMMV.

severdhed

• Offline Offline
    • Last login:October 07, 2022, 04:45:32 pm
    • RIP Dinosaur Hippo
    « Reply #27 on: September 30, 2015, 11:10:49 pm »
    Out of curiosity, have you put that button layout to any tests? Meaning, use cardboard and put your buttons in it and see how it feels playing games? I don't know about you but my right hand doesn't feel comfortable bending to the right to play games. My hand naturally is angled to the left. TL;DR - Find that button layout very uncomfortable, YMMV.

I agree.  make a few mock ups of your control panel in some scrap wood or cardboard or something.  I've played around with mine so many times until i finally found a layout that worked well for me...and i'm still not 100% sure i made the right choice.  i decided to go with a 7 button layout, so i could have a neo geo layout and a fighter layout.  i am very happy with the button placement i chose, but since i've put some steam games on  my cabinet, i can't help but feel like i should have gone with 8 buttons.

here is the layout i went with.. it is similar to the one you posted, but yet the curves the opposite way.  this felt much more natural to my hands.  I didn't use a pre-defined template, i made my own. 

i suggest using a scrap of wood or cardboard and try out a few different layouts to see what feels good
    Current Projects:      Zak-Man | TMNT Pedestal | SNES Pi | N64 Odroid
    Former Projects:     4 Player Showcase | Donkey Kong | iCade

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
    • Last login:November 12, 2023, 05:41:19 pm
    • NOM NOM NOM
    « Reply #28 on: September 30, 2015, 11:57:16 pm »
    I know this basic CP layout has been copied several times on these forums and I've never seen a complaint about the trackball being too cramped.

Its my opinion that people often do not like to admit their mistakes.. and so do not post them.

I would guess, that a lot of these people simply adjust the trackball sensitivity to try to counter the error.
    As such, more sensitivity can allow you to roll the ball far less... to get the desired game movement.
    The problem with this.. is that you reduce the amount of control and interaction.   You cant get as true of an angle..  and you cant get the same kind of acceleration and speed control.. in such a short frew milimeters of a stroke.

Furthermore... the games difficulty becomes far too easy as a result.    Often trackball games are supposed to make you work up a good sweat.  You have to roll them with ferocity, to get the character up to top speeds...   and maintaining that, is no easy task.  But its awesome fun.   A good example is Atari XO football.  Its no "Looker",   but I played the real deal a few years back.. and it was really wild fun trying to move that 4"? diameter ball like a madman.    More typically known, is Marble Madness.   The ball is never intended to move that fast, due to the levels being small...  so you have to roll crazy fast to counter the simulated heavy mass of the ball. 

In a golf or bowling game.. to get a very hard maximum powered strike... you would need awesome acceleration.  This meant spinning the crap out of the ball.  It wasnt easy to get the maximum result.   However, when you increase the sensitivity.. anyone can attain the maximum shot power.. every single time. The game them becomes too easy.

Id also guess, that people instead are merely using it as a menu / selection device.  Or use to control PC games.   Rather than games like Golden Tee, Shuuz, Capcom Bowling...etc.

When you know how the game is supposed to play,  I think it helps.    I feel too many people have never played these games.. and so are not really familiar with how the controls should work... as well as how the games should feel, react, and be set up.  It does not help, that mame has no form of accuracy of calibration of these controls.

As for the Snark... its usually meant with mean spirit.  Especially with certain members here.

Good to know you can take the hook.  Too bad it has to be thrown.

As for buttons..  no need to explain.

For me, I found that Concave buttons are not a good choice for curved button layouts.   Its more suited to japanese flat or convey buttons.. so you can lay your hands flat.   However, concave buttons feel better to me..   but, you cant keep your fingers flat to use them well.  Instead, you bend the fingers at the knuckles.  This causes your hand spread to be reduced..  but it also gives you better lever action.. for more ease of repeated pressing.   I found the curve to be a real problem.. because I kept losing my place.. and my fingers often hit the edges of the button.. which is not comfortable at all.

Additionally, you may consider one of those buttons to use a real old skool leafswitch button.   These are really great for Rapidfire games like Halleys Comet, Galaga, Satans Hollow, Asteroids Deluxe..etc.   You can press them to where they made contact... then lightly vibrate with almost zero effort at all.. for an amazing fire rate...   as well as far reduced physical strain.  I cant imagine playing a game like Halleys Comet without one.
    « Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 12:02:15 am by Xiaou2 »

Xerobull

• Offline Offline
    • Push it to the limit.
      • Pedestal Xero
    « Reply #29 on: October 08, 2015, 01:01:03 pm »
    Small update:

-Did all of the cuts and built most of the base of the pedestal this weekend.
    -'Primed' the cut edges of the MDF with drywall compound.
    -Got my CP graphics and CP template in from Lucian, looks perfect!
    -Ordered barrel Soss hinges for the front fold-out panel for the keyboard drawer.

Normally I would come home from work and continue knocking this out but as I'm in Grad School, homework trumps play time. We also had a rash of car robberies in my neighborhood early yesterday morning which threw off my schedule for the day (they didn't get anything from me).

I'm hoping to finish the build by the end of this weekend and start painting. I'll get pics up soon of the progress.

Question: I'm going to have surround sound built-in. Any good ideas of where to place the speakers? Obviously Front in front, but where to put the rear speakers- sides or back?

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
    « Reply #30 on: October 08, 2015, 01:10:06 pm »
    -Ordered barrel Soss hinges for the front fold-out panel for the keyboard drawer.

What is the keyboard for?
    If you can read this, it means Photobucket's money grab ruined my signature photos.

Xerobull

• Offline Offline
    • Push it to the limit.
      • Pedestal Xero
    « Reply #31 on: October 08, 2015, 06:18:26 pm »

All emulators run on a Windows 7 install. Front end is Hyperspin.

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
    « Reply #32 on: October 08, 2015, 06:44:25 pm »

All emulators run on a Windows 7 install. Front end is Hyperspin.

So you are building an entire drawer to house a keyboard for setting up Windows and Hyperspin?

BGoulette

• Offline Offline
    • Last login:March 25, 2024, 05:19:40 pm
      • lazerjoose.com
    « Reply #33 on: October 09, 2015, 09:27:55 am »
    You'll find more than a few recommendations here to dispense with the keyboard drawer. A properly set up system shouldn't require interfacing with the Windows shell for routine play, and for those times when you need to either update software or whatever, a bluetooth keyboard should do the job just fine.

Xerobull

• Offline Offline
    • Push it to the limit.
      • Pedestal Xero
    « Reply #34 on: November 24, 2015, 11:11:11 pm »
    Progress!

I've been slammed with work, a few colds and grad school but finally had time to work on the build over the weekend and the past couple of days.

The cab is in the painting process. As the CP itself was only going to be primed, I decided to apply the graphics and install the controls. It turned out way better than I anticipated, especially the monitor, which I was a little iffy on. The monitor hole was bigger than anticipated, and I ended up cutting off the heads of some of my sprites but was able to reattach them in a creative way.

LED Check!

Man, these puppies are bright! My wife said she was picturing the electricity meter spinning around like in Christmas Vacation. (note: trackball light not yet installed). 

Tomorrow I'll apply the final coat of paint (satin) to the cab body and let it dry for a day. I'm off work, but I have tons of school work but I'm hoping I will have it up and running by Thursday AM, in time for my guests to enjoy it.
    « Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 07:24:42 am by Xerobull »

pbj

• Offline Offline
    • Obey.
      • The Chris Burke Band
    « Reply #35 on: November 25, 2015, 11:04:31 am »
    Those LEDs take up less electricity than all those times your wife leaves lights on in an empty room.

What are you doing in grad school?

Xerobull

• Offline Offline
    • Push it to the limit.
      • Pedestal Xero
    « Reply #36 on: November 26, 2015, 08:22:12 am »
    Those LEDs take up less electricity than all those times your wife leaves lights on in an empty room.

What are you doing in grad school?

That's what made it funny- the LEDS are cheap to power. She was referring to the brightness of Clark's lights. Fun fact; my wife has ancestors named Griswold.

I'm getting a Masters in Business Administration. The courses aren't hard, just super time-consuming. They like to make you work to make the degree more master-y.

Anyway- build progress:

I have the CP all wired up in a test layout. I'm using an IPac2 for P1, P2 and trackball, and two Xinmao controller boards for P3 &P4. Why? I had the IPac2 and two Xinmao controller boards, so I'm going to see if it will work without buying an IPac4.

Problem 1- One of my T-Nuts broke loose when I was installing the Joystick for P4. Now I have a lumpy spot under the graphic. I've made peace with it. Lesson: don't use T-Nuts, use embeddable screw nuts, like the ones that come with the Ultimarc Trackball. I've seen them at the hardware store.

Problem 2- The Krylon Satin spray paint I used didn't give me an even coverage, even after 6 coats. It's blotchy as hell; most certainly operator error. I will have to clean up the paint, either by applying side graphics, rolling on paint or applying laminate. Lesson: use a medium you're familiar with. My original plan was to use laminate but I didn't want to deal with the work. Silly me.
    « Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 08:33:26 am by Xerobull »

pbj

• Offline Offline
    • Obey.
      • The Chris Burke Band
    « Reply #37 on: November 26, 2015, 02:46:24 pm »
    Ah cool, friend of mine got his MBA from UH recently.  Very impressive school building.  Can't speak to the other programs in town.

Xerobull

• Offline Offline
    • Push it to the limit.
      • Pedestal Xero
    « Reply #38 on: November 26, 2015, 09:57:35 pm »
    Up and running for some turkey day fun:

I picked up this 43" HDTV from Target the other day for $160. Had the mount already.

I have a few things left: surround sound, clean up wiring.

Ah cool, friend of mine got his MBA from UH recently.  Very impressive school building.  Can't speak to the other programs in town.

Taking it at UH-CL. I know UH has a better program but this one is pretty good so far.

Xerobull

• Offline Offline
    • Push it to the limit.
      • Pedestal Xero
    « Reply #39 on: November 30, 2015, 08:12:22 am »
    Got the secondary embedded monitor going with HyperMarquee this weekend. These pics are just a taste of what the program can do- you can layer images, video, text, and even high score info for each game. The marquee scrolls through the Hyperspin wheel and displays info for each game.

These pics show it pulling the Hyperspin wheel images.

HyperMarquee Download Here

Setup & Config thread here SevenSeal is AWESOME at helping set up this HS Addon.