Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Tron/Tron Legacy inspired desk. (non arcade)  (Read 18017 times)

broberg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 28, 2018, 09:53:27 am
  • Less is More
Tron/Tron Legacy inspired desk. (non arcade)
« on: September 16, 2015, 04:23:10 pm »
Probably not BYOAC, but it's derived from the same. This is a project I've been thinking about since I first saw Tron.

For all you who has seen Tron, you all remember the games.
And maybe you remember Evil MCPs human minion Dillinger and Dillingers awesome desk!
Built in computer, touchscreens and glowing Encom color Logo. Well, yeah.

Now, mowing forward about 28 years, we have Flynn seniors private computers
and desk hidden beneath Flynns Arcade. Black, dusty yet sexy, blank desktop
and a massive touchscreen as only input (besides the Laser) between to massive computer casings.
Simple, blueish and black solaris/linux terminal style of OS running on the screen.

So what I'm going to build is not a replica of neither, but more my version of them.
There will be two cabinets on either side of the desk, like the towers on Flynns desk, to house my two computers (the main rig and the server).
It's not going to be touchscreen input only, well, the touch screen will be connected to
my server/work/experimental-computer that will be operated solely by the touchscreen.

And then I will have my current rig that has my 3x22" screens and the traditional mouse/keyboard input.
The 3 screens will be wall mounted and I have yet to figure out how to store
the keyboard and mouse beneath the 3 screens while the touch screen in the desk is being used.

Included in the build I will also mount a compact stereo amplifier in the left side cabinet
(useful to get main volume control and a headphone outlet easily accessible on the front.)
Also a slim DVD-RW will be mounted on top of the right cabinet and connected to the server
for those rare occasions that you need a cd/dvd reader/recorder (I still help friends with their old computers so, sometimes I do need discs :O ).
And then to get the I/O functionality for my main rig I'm installing a 3,5" memory-card reader with USB 3.0 on top of the left cabinet.

And as a newly added bonus I will add a QI wireless charger for my Nexus 5 in the desk as well, IF, and I state IF it will be able to reach through the desk surface.
Tests will be done once I get the charger delivered.
(I'm going with the koolpad charger, if that doesn't work I will try the Fusion charger (The Koolpad is however cheaper so I'll start there).

Software wise I will run Win7, since my server and main rig both are running it, and frankly, that's what I'm used to.
But the styling will require some tinkering since I want it to look like Flynns SolarOS,
so I will create a new Window Blinds theme for the server to get that old-school
window look from Flynns OS and for show use powershell for some terminal-style action.
Ofc I need to add some more styling elements to the theme to make it practical for a Windows environment.
I also need to find a customizable on-screen keyboard that will take custom skin and custom placement of the keys.

Secondly, and currently, I'm working in GameMaker Studio on a simple game featuring the Grid Bugs that is made to be played on a touchscreen! (Inspired by a friends android game.)

And since a thread is just ---That which is odiferous and causeth plants to grow--- without pictures, here is an early screenshot of the game in progress.
And yes I just started using GameMaker two days ago, I'm reading the help-section more than I'm creating anything :P

Any good ideas what I should incorporate more in to the desk? like some really good once-you-have-it-you-can't-be-with-out-it-ideas?
Any ideas about how I can remove the keyboard and mouse,
either to the back or to the sides when I want to use the touchscreen and still keep it looking as clean as it possibly could?

Thank you for reading all this jibberjabber, I want it on print so I don't back out now.
I've placed orders on the desk surface, card-reader, charger, touch unit and the new screen.
The desk surface and the touch unit has a 2 week delivery time, so I have a little bit more time to draw up a plan for the construction of the cabinets!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 06:28:04 am by broberg »
Building ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- is fun!
Currently working on : Tron Desk, Kawasaki GPZ900R, Chevrolet S10 And Suzuki DR650

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
Re: *non arcade* Tron/Tron Legacy inspired desk.
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 04:57:50 pm »
Subscribed!

Xiaou2

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 12, 2023, 05:41:19 pm
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 06:27:58 pm »
I love the older Tron movie.   New one... not so much.

I think you are focusing a lot on the look... but maybe forgetting about comfort and functionality.

The desk itself, is merely a table.   What makes a workspace really special, is that Chair you are sitting in.   If the chair isnt comfy,
then the desk loses a lot of its luster.

The concept of the Touch-Desk, was to eliminate the need for other display devices.   There are many drawbacks however.  For one...
the viewing angle is very bad.  You have to bend your neck a bit downwards, which puts the spine under stain.  And since the surface isnt at the  proper angle to give equal distances ... your eyes will have to adjust to different focal points...  which will leads to headaches from the constant eye strain.

Touch screen also means a lot of greasy / oily fingerprints.   You will be cleaning that bad boy constantly.
 You may want to look into some form of glove to wear,  for less sliding friction at the wrists.

The other factor you have to consider is body mechanics.   You will need your arms to be lower for comfort and to keep from getting something like carpel tunnel injuries / strains.   You dont want your arms to be flat or having to reach upwards, unless the slant of the desk matches the angles well.

Take a look at proper ergonomics, to see what is recommended+why...  to get a good idea on how to set up a desk that wont harm you.

If the desk was set up more like a Drafting Table... with a good angle on it... it might help in certain respects to usability and comfort.
If I had boatloads of money,  Id Opt for using a Cintiq.   That way I can draw on the screen using the pressure sensitive pen stylus instead.

(Still, Id really like to see something that goes beyond Cintiq.. which senses actual bristles/items  touching the screen  (instead of a singular point or fingers)

Id also like to state..  Im not a fan of Touch-Games.   Touch does not have a good tactile response.. so its sloppy and inaccurate for good gaming control and experience.   It would be cool to see integrated arcade controls on the desk... such as a glowing Tron trigger stick and spinner... IMO.

Making the desk into an enclosed cabinet would be cool as well.  Something like a Disc-of-Tron Environmental arcade machine style.

Artistically speaking... The Tron and Discs of Tron cabinets are far cooler in design, than the drab Dillinger desk, or the boring world seen in the newer tron movie.   The original tron movie had far more color, lighting, and art design (line work and 3d shapes) ...into its world.

Best of luck on your designs.

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2021, 12:21:09 pm
  • Don't half-ass two things, whole-ass one thing.
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2015, 06:32:09 pm »
There are many drawbacks however.  For one...
the viewing angle is very bad.  You have to bend your neck a bit downwards, which puts the spine under stain.  And since the surface isnt at the  proper angle to give equal distances ... your eyes will have to adjust to different focal points...  which will leads to headaches from the constant eye strain.

This ^ is exactly why I scratch my head when someone tries to put a 2nd LCD screen on their arcade control panel.

(A 2nd monitor on the bezel is one thing...but on the control panel itself...)   :dizzy:
If you can read this, it means Photobucket's money grab ruined my signature photos.

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2015, 06:56:50 pm »
There are good reasons not to put a 2nd LCD screen on the CP but I'm not sure I agree that these apply.    Xiaou2 makes some good points about strain but that really only applies if you are working for long periods of time looking down. In college we had desks with CRT's embedded in the top.  This was done to save space and provide a clearer field of view to the front of the class.  They were great for about half of the class time and then my neck would start hurting.  With the LCD on the CP you really are only glancing a little before and maybe during the game if the display shows game instructions.  Most of the time your eyes will be centered on the main screen.

There are many drawbacks however.  For one...

This ^ is exactly why I scratch my head when someone tries to put a 2nd LCD screen on their arcade control panel.

(A 2nd monitor on the bezel is one thing...but on the control panel itself...)   :dizzy:

broberg

• Offline Offline
  • Less is More
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2015, 05:06:42 am »
I love the older Tron movie.   New one... not so much.
I think you are focusing a lot on the look... but maybe forgetting about comfort and functionality.
The desk itself, is merely a table.   What makes a workspace really special, is that Chair you are sitting in.   If the chair isnt comfy,
then the desk loses a lot of its luster.
The concept of the Touch-Desk, was to eliminate the need for other display devices.   There are many drawbacks however.  For one...
Touch screen also means a lot of greasy / oily fingerprints.   You will be cleaning that bad boy constantly.
You may want to look into some form of glove to wear,  for less sliding friction at the wrists.
The other factor you have to consider is body mechanics.   You will need your arms to be lower for comfort and to keep from getting something like carpel tunnel injuries / strains.   You dont want your arms to be flat or having to reach upwards, unless the slant of the desk matches the angles well.
Take a look at proper ergonomics, to see what is recommended+why...  to get a good idea on how to set up a desk that wont harm you.
If the desk was set up more like a Drafting Table... with a good angle on it... it might help in certain respects to usability and comfort.
If I had boatloads of money,  Id Opt for using a Cintiq.   That way I can draw on the screen using the pressure sensitive pen stylus instead.
(Still, Id really like to see something that goes beyond Cintiq.. which senses actual bristles/items  touching the screen  (instead of a singular point or fingers)
Id also like to state..  Im not a fan of Touch-Games.   Touch does not have a good tactile response.. so its sloppy and inaccurate for good gaming control and experience.   It would be cool to see integrated arcade controls on the desk... such as a glowing Tron trigger stick and spinner... IMO.
Making the desk into an enclosed cabinet would be cool as well.  Something like a Disc-of-Tron Environmental arcade machine style.
Artistically speaking... The Tron and Discs of Tron cabinets are far cooler in design, than the drab Dillinger desk, or the boring world seen in the newer tron movie.   The original tron movie had far more color, lighting, and art design (line work and 3d shapes) ...into its world.
Best of luck on your designs.

Thank you for the input!

And yes, the touchscreen part of the build is just for show (So the build is focused on the looks, the ergonomics however is not forgotten),
I wasn't the biggest fan of the touchscreens when they began to gain ground on our mobile devices.
Mostly due to the fact that the 4" screens are to small for my fat fingers, and the cheaper
models of the workstation touchscreens (as the ones at my job) has really poor calibration.
But Since then I've had a couple of phones and tablets so now I'm more used
to the handling and lack of tactile feel to the keys on the screens to the point that it is acceptable.

With that said I intentionally dedicated the touchscreen to the Server,
a computer that once setup doesn't need much tinkering and probably won't be accessed more then once a week at most.
So the lack of proper ergonomics for the screen isn't an issue due to the infrequent use of the same.

The main rigs ergonomics however will not change from my current setup, the desk height is the same,
the chair (from IKEA that I've totally worn out) still does it's job beautifully (height adjustable ofc),
the screens will be mounted on the wall but will probably end up in the same location as they are now,
maybe a tad bit higher now that I can adjust them for height.
Mouse and keyboard isn't bolted down so I can move them around.
I would probably go insane if I had to use the touchscreen on my main rig
(imagine playing Portal2 with a touchscreen, yikes, hum just for that I have to try :D).

Regarding the prints all over the screen, well yes, the entire desk will suffer the same fate.
So it will force me to clean the desk more frequently, and trust me.
That isn't a bad thing. I tend to clutter my current desktop way to much anyway.
(And why in the world would I use gloves when working behind a desk?)

About the Touch-gaming, it's all a matter of taste and experience with touch-devices (as with all games really).
If you own an Android device, go to the Play store and search for a game called "BugSplosion".
A friend of mine made that as his first game for Mobile devices, he his a big fan of the early games and the pixelbased graphics.
It has a simple game play much like the old arcade games and quite addictive.
Link to Google Play here : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.emilzeilon.bugsplosion

The game I'm making is, just like the touchscreen, more for show then anything else. A playable Demo you could say.
Touch the grid bug and the grid bug dies, you get points, basically all that it is at the moment,

Artistically speaking, it's about the contrasts. Having a solid black item come to life with bright living accents once it's activated.
It's probably why I like both the first Grid and the Second one (aesthetically that is, concept wise the movies are freaking amazing!).
Yes the Second grid is more toned down, and more to my personal liking,
playing with color as a way to focus attention to a particular item
instead of having scenes flooded with one primary color as in the first grid.
I know it's not to everyones liking, but that's the beauty of taste, it's all different :D

I do whoever consider to add some lines in to the desk that lights up in true Tron style,
i.e When they are off the desk is still subtle, shiny and black and when turned on they give a sharp more lively contrast to all the black!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 05:12:25 am by broberg »
Currently working on : Tron Desk, Kawasaki GPZ900R, Chevrolet S10 And Suzuki DR650

broberg

• Offline Offline
  • Less is More
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2015, 04:35:49 pm »
Picked up the new 32" LCD screen, luckily the cheapest full-HD version did the job,
I do have a slight shadowing on text from left to right, but that is while I'm using VGA, hopefully it will dissappear when switching to HDMI.

So, with the screen home I can start sizing up the On-Screen Keyboard, I'm going to try the "Comfort on-screen keyboard" first.
I might have some performance issue with the servers low spec when running skinning software and OSK etc at the same time, but if that's the case, I'll have to upgrade :D

« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 04:40:22 pm by broberg »

broberg

• Offline Offline
  • Less is More
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2015, 11:03:46 am »
Okey, the new Amp arrived!

It's tiny tiny and will be perfect for the build!
The sound quality is stunning for such a small amp, it do however lack the "body" and oumpf of my old amp, so I might have to get an active sub to complement it.
But the clarity of the mid and high range is really nice!

Notice that the amp itself is almost smaller than it's power supply :D

broberg

• Offline Offline
  • Less is More
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2015, 05:52:20 pm »
Ha, only me posting :P

Had time to make some adjustments to my first sketch now that I know the LCD's shape, the cabinets still needs a touch of extra thought.
These are however pretty easy to make, which I always have to consider depending on the tools I have and how much I want to bother my contacts  :cheers:

Anyhow, input are welcome!

Slippyblade

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2015, 06:06:54 pm »
How are you implementing the touch capability?  That's a pretty large area to cover...

broberg

• Offline Offline
  • Less is More
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2015, 06:22:39 pm »
How are you implementing the touch capability?  That's a pretty large area to cover...

The desk area is 160x70cm, but the touch will only be over the 32" screen.
The touch is a 2 point 32" capacitive touch film that you apply underneath the glass surface. It senses your fingers through the glass.

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2015, 06:29:55 pm »

The desk area is 160x70cm, but the touch will only be over the 32" screen.
The touch is a 2 point 32" capacitive touch film that you apply underneath the glass surface. It senses your fingers through the glass.

That is cooler than I imagined. Since it is 2 point can you pinch and zoom?

broberg

• Offline Offline
  • Less is More
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2015, 06:47:38 pm »
That is cooler than I imagined. Since it is 2 point can you pinch and zoom?

Yes, but how well it will work under win7 is something we have to test once it arrives :D

Slippyblade

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2015, 07:53:05 pm »
I didn't know they made touch films that large, super cool...  Now I want to build a touch based coffee table!

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2015, 08:31:54 pm »
I've thought about building one of these many times over the years.  The idea of the touch screen actually working seemed so far out of reach I never considered it.  Even if it is just for show I'm really impressed.   :cheers:

Have you thought about incorporating some EL Panels into the top?  Since you will have a glass top I think they would work very well.

http://www.thatscoolwire.com/store/subcategory.asp?SubCategoryID=178&Page=1

broberg

• Offline Offline
  • Less is More
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2015, 03:04:26 am »
I've thought about building one of these many times over the years.  The idea of the touch screen actually working seemed so far out of reach I never considered it.  Even if it is just for show I'm really impressed.   :cheers:
Have you thought about incorporating some EL Panels into the top?  Since you will have a glass top I think they would work very well.
Thanks mate!  :cheers:
Yeah, it's been a dorment idea for a couple of years, about 2-3 years ago I found a company that made these films (Displax)
Was really thrilled when I found it, custom sizes (17-100"), the possibility to mount the film underneath glass and it was multitouch.
The pricing on a 32" version was however to expensive then, for a toy that is. (The film alone would cost 1400Eur).
Now there is a few more options of manufacturers on the market, the China based manufacturer I've ordered from is 1/4 of the cost!

About the EL-panels, I have them in mind, but they don't look like they will cut it in daylight so might go with LEDs instead.
I do have some markings and pattern that I would like to light up in the desk (I have a Tron/PCB-inspired tatto on my left arm, so thinking about infusing some of that pattern in to the desk).

I didn't know they made touch films that large, super cool...  Now I want to build a touch based coffee table!

You should! they make them in custom sizes, from 17-100"!  8)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 05:15:56 pm by broberg »

broberg

• Offline Offline
  • Less is More
Re: Tron/Tron Legacy inspired desk. (non arcade)
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2015, 09:50:35 am »
Got the Qi wireless charger yesterday, so had to try if it would work when placed beneath the 6mm glass!

The Koolpad QI charger is specified to work up to a 8mm distance, well. Yeah, thats the specs online. But once you get the actual product it says 8mm AIR!
So when you put material in between it seriously shortens the range of the charger, I've managed a 3mm distance when using wood between the charger and the phone.

Not looking good that is, but, different materials does have different effect on the induction.
So obviously I had to try it in the conditions I have in mind.
That is mounted beneath a 6mm hardened glass with a black vinyl layer.
So also had the chance to see how the vinyl would appear once applied to the glass, and it actually looks pretty good.
Just have to be extra careful not to get any dust or air between the glass and the vinyl.

And to my surprise it works. BUT just barely it's really sensitive of movement and the phone has to be more precisely placed when the koolpad is beneath the glass.
That is when the charger is fully assembled, taking it apart gives me the opportunity to get the actual induction coil 2mm closer to the glass (still leaving an air gap for heat dispersion).

I'm also thinking of adding a relay that get it's signal from the koolpads on/charge indicator LEDs to Make switch on a set of other LEDs (since the leds on the board itself doesn't shine through the vinyl layer).

« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 09:52:39 am by broberg »

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2015, 11:06:56 am »
The charging pad is a cool feature and a great use of the glass top.  :cheers:

About the EL-panels, I have them in mind, but they don't look like they will cut it in daylight so might go with LEDs instead.
I do have some markings and pattern that I would like to light up in the desk (I have a Tron/PCB-inspired tatto on my left arm, so thinking about infusing some of that pattern in to the desk).

You about have to provide a bezel of some sort to hide the wires.  You can see an example of how I used them on my Tron cabinet here.  I like how they look in daylight but I had to go with the "Tron Blue" ones.  The EL Panels that light up white look pink in the daylight.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,116519.300.html

broberg

• Offline Offline
  • Less is More
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2015, 01:19:47 pm »
You about have to provide a bezel of some sort to hide the wires.  You can see an example of how I used them on my Tron cabinet here.  I like how they look in daylight but I had to go with the "Tron Blue" ones.  The EL Panels that light up white look pink in the daylight.
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,116519.300.html

That looks really cool! So you can cut the shape of the EL-panels however you see fit as long as one of the connectors is still connected?

if you have the room lit up with regular lighting, how well does the blue show?

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2015, 02:17:55 pm »
You are correct.  I was nervous about cutting the big panel I bought but it went pretty easy.  You can even cut a hole right in the middle.

The blue of course looks better with the lights out but it does show up in regular light just fine.

That looks really cool! So you can cut the shape of the EL-panels however you see fit as long as one of the connectors is still connected?

if you have the room lit up with regular lighting, how well does the blue show?

broberg

• Offline Offline
  • Less is More
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2015, 05:37:59 pm »
Software update,

Been trying to make windowblinds do what I want it to do, but it's nearly impossible with the lack of documentation for win7. It lacks control over the system colors, so maybe I have to get around and see if it is possible to edit the register to achieve what I want. And I also need to find a way to edit the system icons for Win7.

The main problem is the explorer-windows that won't change background-colors, I have managed to workaround the main area with a black background, but the left side that has the library/computer/network-tree won't change color as I want it to change. Have anyone used skinstudio and know what parameter to change?

Here is a beta version of the WindowBlinds skin I'm working on :

broberg

• Offline Offline
  • Less is More
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2015, 05:23:05 am »
I want to turn on an array of LEDs when the led on the wireless charger is turned on, anyone kow what type of relay I would need to accomplish that?

Alejo I

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:35:41 am
  • Trying something new
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2015, 10:55:34 am »
Re: Wireless charger.

Ikea sells a bunch of wireless charger pads specially designed to be fit inside furniture. They won't look flush with the design (meaning they may need some mod time), but you may want to check them if your current solution doesn't work out for you.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30291875/
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80299440/

broberg

• Offline Offline
  • Less is More
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2015, 11:09:25 am »
Re: Wireless charger.
Ikea sells a bunch of wireless charger pads specially designed to be fit inside furniture. They won't look flush with the design (meaning they may need some mod time), but you may want to check them if your current solution doesn't work out for you.
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30291875/
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80299440/

Thanks! Yeah I've seen those, they need to be mounted in a hole, didn't want to order the hardened glass with a hole in it, if I ever changed my mind or changed to a phone without QI.

Luckiliy the glass doesn't hinder the induction as much as plastic or wood does, so it works with the 6mm thick glass top!
And the plan is also to make bracket to fit the charger to without having the top half of the cover on, that will also expand the range from the glass surface.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 02:11:56 pm by broberg »

Namco

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:22:32 pm
  • Now addicted to Williams pins... all of them.
    • Freddo Mame Project
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2015, 11:43:20 am »
Dude, don't worry about ergonomics. I don't remember Dillinger doing a lot of word processing on that thing. He only used the keyboard to login. After that he and MCP would chat like an old married couple about merging programs and taking over the world.  :blah: :lol

broberg

• Offline Offline
  • Less is More
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2015, 02:27:43 pm »
Dude, don't worry about ergonomics. I don't remember Dillinger doing a lot of word processing on that thing. He only used the keyboard to login. After that he and MCP would chat like an old married couple about merging programs and taking over the world.  :blah: :lol

Hehehe, Maybe I should get some voice recognition software for the server as well and make it respond when you say "MCP"  :lol :cheers:

Picked up the glass yesterday, finished the vinyl layout and got it cut today. So I took the liberty to fit it to the glass!

First it was clear and shiny, now it's black and shiny!   8)
Have to let it dry a couple of days, then I'll remove the cutouts for the screen etc etc

jeremymtc

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:02:00 pm
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2015, 04:06:36 pm »

Yes, but how well it will work under win7 is something we have to test once it arrives :D

Win7 works great with touch in Tablet Mode: http://www.online-tech-tips.com/windows-7/turn-on-windows-tablet-pc-components-in-windows-7/

Some of the base UI elements are slightly wonky for use with touch, but that's where some 3rd-party software can help. Stardock's ObjectDock ( http://www.stardock.com/products/objectdock/ ) or Punk Labs RocketDock ( http://rocketdock.com/ )  are both good free products that help improve the desktop for touch. I use ObjectDock on an older Win7 tablet and find that it's rare to need to use the Windows taskbar once everything is configured as needed, and everything about it is skin-able and customizable.

I like your project - I've had a thing for the computer desktops in Tron since I was a kid.

broberg

• Offline Offline
  • Less is More
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2015, 06:21:09 pm »

Win7 works great with touch in Tablet Mode: http://www.online-tech-tips.com/windows-7/turn-on-windows-tablet-pc-components-in-windows-7/

Some of the base UI elements are slightly wonky for use with touch, but that's where some 3rd-party software can help. Stardock's ObjectDock ( http://www.stardock.com/products/objectdock/ ) or Punk Labs RocketDock ( http://rocketdock.com/ )  are both good free products that help improve the desktop for touch. I use ObjectDock on an older Win7 tablet and find that it's rare to need to use the Windows taskbar once everything is configured as needed, and everything about it is skin-able and customizable.

I like your project - I've had a thing for the computer desktops in Tron since I was a kid.

Sounds good, I'm actually using stardock/objectdock on my current machine, it helps a lot when running eyefinity over three screens! 

I'm going to give circledock a try to.

The vinyl had dried, so I removed the cutout for the screen, looks crisp!

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2015, 08:46:29 pm »
That does look nice and crisp!   :cheers:

broberg

• Offline Offline
  • Less is More
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2015, 02:45:34 pm »
Started welding my desk frame together, I don't really know how to use a TIG, but you don't learn if you don't try :D

I don't get any blobs anymore but I'm not getting that much penetration either :/

broberg

• Offline Offline
  • Less is More
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2015, 08:50:36 am »
Okey, I forgot to upload the welded frame, so here goes.

I'm still waiting for some EL-panels, but I did get my LED-tape, bought a RGB one since I couldn't find the "aqua"-color in the static ones, so now I can flip through the colors and find the closest match, the LEDs are really bright though!

Also had my contacts bend some steel to work as the mounting plate for the 32" screen, the screen is only about 8Kg, so it might be a wee bit overkill, but hey, it won't flex :D

One decision still left is whether or not I want to use a tint film to get rid of the terrible backlight of the Cheapo screen, it really reduces the overall glow, but I'm afraid it will also get rid of to much detail when in use :/ (although the windows theme use is a high-contrast one, other elements, other then text and frames, will probably get hard to see).
Is there any "oneway" film like the oneway-mirror films, that is solid black when there is no light from the back?

broberg

• Offline Offline
  • Less is More
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2015, 07:29:38 pm »
Some lighting, RGB LED-strip.
So If I figure out how to let the charger control the LED-strip I can make it change color when charging is active :D
Need to scuff up the plexi a bit so the light gets more diffuse, also need to tone it down.

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2015, 07:38:12 pm »
That looks better than I would have thought for LED's.  Nicely done.

broberg

• Offline Offline
  • Less is More
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2015, 11:17:05 am »
That looks better than I would have thought for LED's.  Nicely done.

Thanks, it still need some work however, will probably mediablast the plexi to diffuse the light and add some stops so the light won't bleed all around :)

Did manage to play a little bit with the EL-panels like you suggested wp!
Classic Encom Logo as of Dillingers Desk (with some artistic licensing on the blocks and some, sadly, hard choices with the colors  :'( )
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 11:20:21 am by broberg »

SNAAKE

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2024, 12:21:50 pm
  • my joystick is bigger than your joystick !
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2015, 11:21:31 am »
neat  :cheers:

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2015, 04:23:21 pm »
That looks brilliant!  I love it.   :applaud:

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2015, 04:32:52 pm »
Could you post some WIP pictures of that logo?  I am understandably curious.

Thanks!

broberg

• Offline Offline
  • Less is More
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2015, 03:40:17 am »
Could you post some WIP pictures of that logo?  I am understandably curious.

Thanks!

Don't have any WIP photos, but this is what it looks like behind the cut out.

Since the backside of the glass is black vinyl all cut outs was made on a plotter before applying it, the circle, the screen and the logo.
So when all the lines and text vinyl was removed it was just a matter to arrange
the EL-Panels and cut out shapes to correspond with the color of the logo.
The panels aren't directly clean cut, but since it's just backlighting it only
really matters that the edges are behind the vinyl!

The EL-Panels will later be glued to a stiffer backboarding the will be pressed against the glass.

And again, still considering to add window tint-film to mask the logo when the light is off, have to do some tests first however.

BAMBOO

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 30, 2016, 06:51:20 am
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2015, 12:45:38 pm »
Holy Tron that is awesome man!
"Every arcade we restore preserves history that we will never experience again..."

rablack97

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2022, 06:50:10 pm
  • If you don't try, you have no chance at innovation
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2015, 01:46:13 pm »
Software update,

Been trying to make windowblinds do what I want it to do, but it's nearly impossible with the lack of documentation for win7. It lacks control over the system colors, so maybe I have to get around and see if it is possible to edit the register to achieve what I want. And I also need to find a way to edit the system icons for Win7.

The main problem is the explorer-windows that won't change background-colors, I have managed to workaround the main area with a black background, but the left side that has the library/computer/network-tree won't change color as I want it to change. Have anyone used skinstudio and know what parameter to change?

Here is a beta version of the WindowBlinds skin I'm working on :

Go look at my hide windows 7 sticky in the software section.

You'll need a program called resource hacker, its free, one of the files in my tutorial had all of the system icons that could be changed using that program.

You'll can also get alot of tweaks here.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 02:13:50 pm by rablack97 »