Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Need some advice on setup  (Read 2853 times)

Nitro0602

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 04:19:27 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Need some advice on setup
« on: September 06, 2015, 03:34:24 pm »
Hey guys,
I am in the middle of making a bartop cabinet but have a few questions, any help would be great!

1. How to Turn on the computer, monitor and marquee at the same time using a power bar?
- I heard you can change the power settings in the bios so once you turn on the power bar the computer will turn on.. but how would that work when  you shut it off from from the start menu or for eg shut off computer from the maximum interface screen? - hope that makes sense.. lol

2. Is there an easier way to mask the loading screen when computer turns on?  [/b]
- I already have maximus or hyperspin load automatically when turned on, but still shows the loading screen and desktop for a few seconds after...

I know you can run wires and an arcade switch, but I really rather keep it as simple "plug n play" as possible.

3. Mouse cursor disappearing after exiting certain emulators
- anyone have that problem? 

Thanks.. I know it maybe a lot but really trying to make make it an easy plug n play system without all the crazy hardware wiring.. lol

Slippyblade

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
Re: Need some advice on setup
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2015, 03:43:22 pm »
As to #1, what you are wanting is something called a "Smart Strip".  It's a power bar where one of the sockets acts as a trigger.  You'd plug your computer into that socket and the plug your other stuff into other sockets.  When you turn on the comp, the strip will then turn on all the other sockets.  When you turn off the comp, the strip turns off the other sockets.

Phreakwars

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:52:02 pm
  • Waka-Waka
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,146325.0.html
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2015, 04:12:12 pm »
2. Is there an easier way to mask the loading screen when computer turns on?  [/b]
- I already have maximus or hyperspin load automatically when turned on, but still shows the loading screen and desktop for a few seconds after...

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,113896.0.html

Here's how it turned out on my son's

« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 04:15:07 pm by Phreakwars »

Nitro0602

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2015, 04:35:30 pm »
As to #1, what you are wanting is something called a "Smart Strip".  It's a power bar where one of the sockets acts as a trigger.  You'd plug your computer into that socket and the plug your other stuff into other sockets.  When you turn on the comp, the strip will then turn on all the other sockets.  When you turn off the comp, the strip turns off the other sockets.

Thanks bud!  But, if my cabinet will be enclosed is there another way instead of pressing power on the computer.  Cause I would keep opening the back panel of my bartop.. I wanted to attached the "smart strip" behind the cabinet and basically flick it on from there.. is that doable?  Or do I have to physically push the power button on the computer?  Thanks again for the quick response!

Nitro0602

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2015, 04:37:40 pm »

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,113896.0.html

Here's how it turned out on my son's

Thanks man, will give that try!

Slippyblade

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2015, 04:40:44 pm »
Nah, it's way easier than you think. 

1)  Open up your computer and find the wire that is attached to the case power button.
2)  Cut that wire wherever you feel is appropriate, but leave enough to play with.
3)  Grab a spare arcade button and attach some wires to the NO contacts.
4)  Connect the wires from the arcade button to the wires that used to go to the power button on the case.  There is no polarity so you can't attach em backwards.
5)  Install that arcade button somewhere on your cabinet where it won't get bumped.  I like to mount it on the top behind where the marquee is.
6)  Go into your power settings and change the behavior of the power button so that it will perform a shutdown.

You've just made a new power button.  Tap that arcade button and your PC will power on.  If the PC is on, tapping it again will now shutdown.  Since you have the PC attached as the master on a smart strip, shutting down the PC will shut off everything else plugged into the strip.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 07:01:14 pm by Slippyblade »

Phreakwars

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:52:02 pm
  • Waka-Waka
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,146325.0.html
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2015, 06:48:12 pm »

1)  Open up your computer and find the wire that is attached to the case power button.
2)  Cut that wire wherever you feel is appropriate, but leave enough to play with.
4)  Connect the wires from the arcade button to the wires that used to go to the power button on the case.  There is no polarity so you can't attach em backwards.
5)  Install that arcade button somewhere on your cabinet where it won't get bumped.  On like to mount it on the top behind where the marquee is.
6)  Go into your power settings and change the behavior of the power button so that it will perform a shutdown.

You've just made a new power button.  Tap that arcade button and your PC will power on.  If the PC is on, tapping it again will now shutdown.  Since you have the PC attached as the master on a smart strip, shutting down the PC will shut off everything else plugged into the strip.
Yep.. that is EXACTLY how I did it as well, as shown by the 2nd video I posted.

All that is happening when I push that button, is it is activating the regular power on lead to the mother board. That kicks in the smart strip and turns on the amp for the speakers, and power to the monitor.

Love those smart strips, very nifty and handy little gadgets for an arcade cabinet.

BTW, here is a link to the Smart Strip he is refering to... you might be able to get one at your hardware store as well:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000P1QJXQ?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 06:50:59 pm by Phreakwars »

Nitro0602

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2015, 09:19:43 pm »

5)  Install that arcade button somewhere on your cabinet where it won't get bumped.  I like to mount it on the top behind where the marquee is.

Its funny, cause I wanted to avoid that.. but after reading it step by step.. doesn't seem that bad.. lol!!!
Yeah, had a feeling that was the only way to do that... I will also being doing that with my upright cabinet as well.. I'll try to put pictures of it when I'm done.  Thanks for the step by step instructions.

Nitro0602

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2015, 09:24:37 pm »

5)  Install that arcade button somewhere on your cabinet where it won't get bumped.  On like to mount it on the top behind where the marquee is.

Yep.. that is EXACTLY how I did it as well, as shown by the 2nd video I posted.

All that is happening when I push that button, is it is activating the regular power on lead to the mother board. That kicks in the smart strip and turns on the amp for the speakers, and power to the monitor.

Love those smart strips, very nifty and handy little gadgets for an arcade cabinet.

BTW, here is a link to the Smart Strip he is refering to... you might be able to get one at your hardware store as well:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000P1QJXQ?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

Thanks bud.. living in Toronto has his flaws for arcade material.. lol
But I will check, I have a bigger one for my upright cabinet that I bought off of ebay.
Thanks again!