Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Possible to use Kensington Track ball for tempest/centapede in Mame?  (Read 2685 times)

j1345

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2020, 03:38:08 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
I have a nice kensington turbo track ball with a wheel on the outside of the trackball.

is there a way to rig it to mame to play centepede and use the outside spinner to play tempest?

I tried to reconfigure the mame setting to see it but it only sees the up/down function as I roll to trackball but not anything else.
any advice?

lamprey

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 17, 2019, 07:03:11 pm
Re: Possible to use Kensington Track ball for tempest/centapede in Mame?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 11:39:10 am »
Assume that  turbo track ball acts like a mouse, then it should be possible.

In the mame.ini file you need to adjust a few things. Under the #CORE INPUT AUTOMATIC ENABLE OPTIONS you'll want to change the appropriate items from "keyboard" to "mouse", probably for "paddle_device" and/or "dial_device". Additionally, you'll probably want to change the "multimouse" to 1 in the # CORE INPUT OPTIONS section.

Once you do that, then you can go into the in-game config (TAB) and configure the input for that game.

Code: [Select]
#
# CORE INPUT OPTIONS
#
multimouse                1

#
# CORE INPUT AUTOMATIC ENABLE OPTIONS
#
paddle_device             mouse
adstick_device            mouse
pedal_device              mouse
dial_device               mouse
trackball_device          mouse
lightgun_device           mouse
positional_device         mouse
mouse_device              mouse

j1345

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2020, 03:38:08 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Possible to use Kensington Track ball for tempest/centapede in Mame?
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 10:15:11 pm »
Thanks so much!!!  That did the trick...  FINALLY can play Tempest with the scroll wheel and Centipede with my Turbo mouse track ball...  Surprised the other games still worked with my joystick  LOL...Was afriad it was going to mess with my other games.

Everything works great!!