Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Buying a cab  (Read 3503 times)

mac

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 14, 2015, 02:47:28 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Buying a cab
« on: September 03, 2015, 05:03:00 pm »
Hey folks

First timer - noob - whatever you want to call me. I have three kids so have certainly heard it all before! :)

I am looking to buy a MAME / classic console emulator cabinet. Toyed with building one but just don't have the time or skills to do the job properly so have been browsing around.

So, I was dead set on using Turnarcades. Liked the look of the cabs on their site and they are just down the road from me so nice to use a small, local business. Yet, I have been trying to contact them and have had no response. They have no phone number on the site and don't answer emails or social media. Guessing they are somewhat done.

So, I was wondering. Where would you folks suggest I could look for a nice, classic style cabinet. I would like to get some classic artwork - space invaders or ghosts and goblins or some such. The space invaders cabinet is the one I spent the most time looking at in pubs as a kid so that is sort of what I am thinking.

I have a whole bunch of mame roms so I have the games I would like to use but just need the cab built and hopefully built really well.

Would really love to hear your feedback folks.

Cheers!
Mac

Slippyblade

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
Re: Buying a cab
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 06:02:52 pm »
Depends on what you want.  Do you want a conosle emulator or an arcade cab?  I don't recommend doing both on the same machine.  Console games are meant to be played sitting on a couch with controller in hand.

mac

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2015, 02:13:24 pm »
hey, sorry for the tardy reply. Busy, busy as ever and could not remember where I had bloomin' posted this.

I want a mame machine I guess. I want the old classics. Space Invaders, pac man, ghosts and goblins etc. I am 39 pushing 40 so that is my era. Well, where I stood around in arcades watching older kids play mostly but where my nostalgia lies. Not arsed about console emulation. I want arcade emulation. Shooters like R-Type and platform like games. The classics basically. I already have all the games really, it is the physical cab I lack.

Any idea what is going on with turnarcades? They are like 30 mins from my house and look ideal but seem to be out of business.

Thanks again for any help
Marcus

mac

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2015, 02:53:01 pm »
Hey

What about these folks;
http://ultimatearcadecabinets.co.uk/

Anyone have any experience?

Thanks folks, big purchase, something I have wanted all my adult life and want it to be great. :)

Cheers
Marcus

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:58:22 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2015, 02:54:52 pm »
Why not pop over with some tea and biscuits in your lorry and see if anyone opens the garage when you beat on Turnarcades flat door?

JDFan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2015, 04:33:25 pm »
According to their FaceBook page ( https://www.facebook.com/Turnarcades ) :

Turnarcades Custom Arcade Machines
September 7 at 1:20pm ·

The Turnarcades alternate domain is now back up with most site content at www.turnarcades.com if you have been viewing our products and are interested in buying a machine. Most content is there as well as our old prices, which will be updated ASAP to reflect our current range and prices. Be sure to share with others to let everyone know we are back, and bookmark us for future reference!

SO they seem to still be around as of a few days ago  :dunno

mac

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2015, 02:46:08 am »
Hmm, that's interesting. Will give them another nudge on Facebook and see if I get anything back. I am like 3 emails and a few pokes on social in so figured they were dead and buried. Will feedback.