Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Outrun 2 FXT 2.4 Released!  (Read 172519 times)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Re: Outrun 2 FXT 2.4 Released!
« Reply #280 on: January 08, 2017, 01:28:41 pm »
We probably need to move this conversion over to the hacking thread, but for now here's a pic (new sprites aren't scaled yet of course). 

As you can see you might be a bit disappointed with all of your hard work.  As I said, color-key only at this point so smoothing of the images or translucency don't work.  It's a marked improvement of course, but you see what I mean.

Shekel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 07, 2018, 05:17:51 am
« Reply #281 on: January 08, 2017, 09:34:34 pm »
Yeah, shame about the transparency, but the timer looks nice! Thanks. At a glance it's fine and wonder what it looks like smaller. I thought you may need to cut things up which means aligning some of the coloured numbers may be tricky since they're often scattered high and low and different pages. I could do a page of things to scale if you like.

PPSSPP had the same problem about the hashes changing. Some were fixed, some changed with every track and car variable, which is too many to do. I think there might have been a possible solution there, but it was one for the devs.

I'll add a tacho and needle as well, forgot those )gears are done on the pages above). Yours look ok (the gears look quite sharp) but I still wanted to do them. One with background and one without just in case.

This was from an F40. There's other dials with bits of orange in but I'm not sure they change too much.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #282 on: January 08, 2017, 10:49:28 pm »
Some of the tachos go to 90 and some go to 100.  Some also redline quicker than others.  I probably need to do one for each car, I just haven't had the time. 

In terms of scaling, I know what the x,y and height of each sprite is supposed to be so I can just check the height of the loaded sprite, as a percentage of the screen and then scale to fit.  Width of course will fix itself.  It isn't hard to do but again, it's just taking the time to do it.  I'll go ahead and setup sprites for the tacho, time left digits and the time header above it later this week and that should be enough to release it. 

Shekel

• Offline Offline
« Reply #283 on: January 08, 2017, 11:54:03 pm »
Oh, right, hadn't noticed :)

Sweet, you've got a method for scaling sussed out. I'm sure it's a bit tedious to set up but it'll be fun to see what it looks like when it's done.

Top work.

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 02:38:32 am
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #284 on: January 09, 2017, 04:29:54 am »
Good work Howard! Even better news for me......Leo and the gang at SimSteering have *FINALLY* added their own center spring settings for our Bodnar wheel. Means I don't have to mess around with FXT or the Logitech profiler software to adjust the spring effect anymore  :cheers:

Anyway I have a question...what throttle settings are you guys running at? According to the readme the throttling option impacts the framerate you get in the game. For some reason the game does not deliver a rock solid 60fps on my rig. It dips to around 55 every so often, causing slight stutters while driving. I know when running the actual game without FXT I get a 100% rock 60fps at all time with no dips. I tried a value of 0, 33, and 100, but it seems 100 is the best on my rig but it still can't hold rock solid 60fps at all times. Any suggestions?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #285 on: January 09, 2017, 02:53:56 pm »
Well throttling isn't for the game, it's for the overlay and the render loop.  You need it to be reasonably fast so that stuff like outputs work in a  timely manner but at the same time the tighter the loop the less processing time the actual game gets.  A value of 33 means to wait roughly 33 milliseconds between each loop.   That's about average.  66 or maybe 120 would be as high as I would go.  Your os as well as your running resolution and video card also come into play.  I strongly recommend windows 7 or higher because the overlay is done via desktop compositing, which has hardware acceleration in the newer OSes.  Also a crazy high resolution might slow things down for the same reasons... I've ran 1080p no problem.  Finally forcing vsync with your video card is an obvious solution... just remember to assign a forced vsync with the outrun 2006 exe, not fxt. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #286 on: January 25, 2017, 12:19:46 am »
Sorry about stalling on the project.  I've had an extremely busy week and I've been a bit under the weather.  I'll pick it up again soon and release at least something complete enough to use Shekel's sprites.

IISargeII

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2020, 09:16:43 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #287 on: January 25, 2017, 03:35:32 am »
Hope your feeling better Howard.

Checking this project is still a part of my daily routine  :D

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:06:18 pm
  • As I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
« Reply #288 on: January 25, 2017, 08:51:39 am »
A little bit off topic, but has anyone ever come across any kind of a comprehnsive list of all the different bunki animations in Coast 2 Coast and how you trigger them? I was watching a video earlier of a couple of guys playing the arcade version of Outrun 2 SP in versus mode and there was an airship animation I'd never ever seen before in all my years of playing the game. I'm sure there are more I've never seen.

sergiMD

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 15, 2024, 07:41:46 am
« Reply #289 on: January 25, 2017, 05:09:47 pm »
Hi. First of all, thank you Howard for the hard work on this hack. Been following this project for a while and now that I'm starting to mame a twin Gti Club, I started to set up Outrun 2 with a G25. But everytime I start a race, FXT hangs just when the "Go" text shows up after the countdown.

It always shows a Run-time error '9': Subscript out of range error

To this very point, everything seems to work ok: texture replacement, wheel override on menu, even I can feel the FFB during the initial burnout animation before the countdown. Then FXT crashes (I can still play the game without the wheel override anf FFB).

Things that I've already tried, getting the same crash:
  • Deleted my original 2 disc installation, using now the 1 dvd release
  • Uninstalled the texture packs
  • Disable all the Control options
  • Disable all the Enhancements
  • Registered dx8vb.dll manually (it was already present in my system BTW)
  • Tried with the G25 unplugged
  • Search both this and the hacking OR2 threads, no one seems to have this issue
  • Several system reboots

At this point the only thing that I could suspect causing this is the patched original exe I'm using. It' needed since Windows 10 no longer supports SecuRom (and frankly, having my original cd always on is a PITA).

Any help or advice will be very appreciated.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #290 on: January 25, 2017, 08:37:47 pm »
Yeah if you download the unpacker tool I've listed them all in the description of the archives.  I don't have a clue how you trigger them though.  I think it has to do with the best time ect...

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #291 on: January 26, 2017, 08:26:01 am »
I know that some only seem to work in time attack mode compared to the arcade mode (the jumbo jets and jet fighter for instance in the former. I think you get the Jumbo jets if you're just under your previous best lap time and the fighter if you beat it. I believe there's also a UFO, but I've never triggered it). I know as well that the Dragon animation gets triggered if you get a perfect lap on a stage (no collisions with other vehicles, no instances where your car's tires leave the road), apparently there's a second Dragon you can get if you do two perfect laps in a row, but I've never managed to do that. I think I've also seen para-gliders and hot air balloons, but like the blimp I've no idea what the trigger is for those.

2018 Edit: I've subsequently managed to trigger the blimp once, still don't know how. Also managed to get the 2 perfect laps animation to work as well. There's also a Pegasus animation I've triggered when I was trying to get the Panzer Dragoon one to activate, I'm not sure what the diffrence is in what makes them activate.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 12:05:16 pm by MrThunderwing »

Shekel

• Offline Offline
« Reply #292 on: January 26, 2017, 02:01:41 pm »
I assumed they were triggered by beating a certain time. I remember seeing a UFO and it zooming off.

wellemike

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 23, 2021, 05:50:58 pm
Re: Outrun 2 FXT Beta 2.0 Released!
« Reply #293 on: January 28, 2017, 11:24:54 pm »
Those Lindbergh versions are really cool. Is there no way to get them in English?

I imported the only YouTube video of this into Sony Vegas Movie Studio and translated the Japanese into English from referring to various YouTube videos I found.  This is a fan project being used to help English speaking players understand how to drift and how heart attack mode works.  Place the "TitleScreen.bik" file into the mv folder of Outrun2:

https://mega.nz/#!coB3jYqb!iqYwRBHW4TG_Lg4sNknvmhY3smUv56XH93KIcwRp6js

Enjoy

sergiMD

• Offline Offline
« Reply #294 on: January 30, 2017, 03:01:38 pm »
Hi. First of all, thank you Howard for the hard work on this hack. Been following this project for a while and now that I'm starting to mame a twin Gti Club, I started to set up Outrun 2 with a G25. But everytime I start a race, FXT hangs just when the "Go" text shows up after the countdown.

It always shows a Run-time error '9': Subscript out of range error

To this very point, everything seems to work ok: texture replacement, wheel override on menu, even I can feel the FFB during the initial burnout animation before the countdown. Then FXT crashes (I can still play the game without the wheel override anf FFB).

Things that I've already tried, getting the same crash:
  • Deleted my original 2 disc installation, using now the 1 dvd release
  • Uninstalled the texture packs
  • Disable all the Control options
  • Disable all the Enhancements
  • Registered dx8vb.dll manually (it was already present in my system BTW)
  • Tried with the G25 unplugged
  • Search both this and the hacking OR2 threads, no one seems to have this issue
  • Several system reboots

At this point the only thing that I could suspect causing this is the patched original exe I'm using. It' needed since Windows 10 no longer supports SecuRom (and frankly, having my original cd always on is a PITA).

Any help or advice will be very appreciated.

I found a FXT 2.1b file in my Downloads folder from who knows when, and oddly enough it runs without any issue. So for now I'm getting the sweet FFB, but not the pedals overrride (not implemented yet in this version). Any ideas why this version doesn't crash and 2.4 does will be appreciated.

Also found something interesting for those using the Logitech Profiler: Seems that the automatic selection of profiles doesn't work with FXT. Logitech profiler doesn't apply them whether you define FXT or Outrun 2006 executables as the "game". The workaround is to disable automatic profile selection and assing your Outrun 2006 as the default, or change your global settings.

Both methods doesn't suit my needs, and since increasing the spring effect was my only concern, I'm trying to edit the ff.ini without success

*Tweaks 3-7 are the spring settings, you can change them here if you wish.
Tweak3=3|XPositiveSaturation|0
Tweak4=3|XNegativeSaturation|0
Tweak5=3|XNegativeCoefficient|500
Tweak6=3|XPositiveCoefficient|500
Tweak7=3|XOffset|0

Changing the 0 or 500 values does nothing and editing the 3 in any of the TweakX=3 lines adds a quick hit to the steering every 0.5s where the spring should be.
Any advice or documentation I should look so I can increase the spring effect?

Thanks

TonyTonsils

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 05, 2017, 05:51:27 pm
« Reply #295 on: February 01, 2017, 07:51:53 pm »
I'm new to using the FXT fix. I've followed the readme thoroughly time and time again but my version doesn't want to work at all. No matter how I set my installation up, FXT crashes right on start, leaving me with a vanilla version of OR2006 that barely works. Any suggestions on how to fix this problem? I run Windows 10 if that's any help.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #296 on: February 02, 2017, 10:25:16 pm »
Try this new exe and see if it helps.

If it isn't crashing until the race starts then there are very few things it could be... possibly a calculation error for the hud/outputs.  I've just did an "on error resume next" to see if it will kludge through for you.

Jitterdoomer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 26, 2023, 06:37:11 am
    • Personal Twitter Page
« Reply #297 on: February 03, 2017, 12:05:20 pm »
With the new LAN feature added to FXT, are you going to bring back the "Waiting For Your Entry" screens and the mixed 15 course (SP and Original combined into 1 pyramid) from the Arcade Version?
For amusement only.

TonyTonsils

• Offline Offline
« Reply #298 on: February 03, 2017, 05:54:57 pm »

If it isn't crashing until the race starts then there are very few things it could be... possibly a calculation error for the hud/outputs.  I've just did an "on error resume next" to see if it will kludge through for you.

Still not doing it for me.

To put into further detail, the game crashes on the logos, but even before the crash it acts like it's running from the normal EXE without the additional tweaks. On opening, I can see that it opens a window if I specified it to be windowed mode, but immediately gets forced to fullscreen. Everything's stretched to 16:9 even though I specified menus and intros to be at 4:3. The precise moment when the notification of crashing occurs right at the beginning of the OutRun 2006 intro after the logos. Even though it says it crashed, one or two things from the fix (most noticeably the button replacements) are still there. Also gamepad steering doesn't work at all in-game, but that's probably either the vanilla game being messy with my gamepad or the crash broke the controls. Could this be attributed to compatibility issues?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #299 on: February 03, 2017, 09:34:42 pm »
Well that isn't at all like the aforementioned issues others mentioned.  If it crashes at different points then they are two unrelated issues.  The wrappers sets to fullscreen and then waits for the hook which usually occurs around the time of the logos.  So it's crashing right when it's hooked.  The wrapper injects various code into the exe, so that is why steering won't work, ect. 

When the game gets to the title screen, wait a second or two before going forward if arcade mode is enabled.  It can crash if you blow through the title screen immediately. 

Other than that I can't help you.  Atm I'm not working on the game so I'll get back to it when I have my racing rig out again. 

Typically crashes are caused by a configuration error as there isn't any error handling for defining an invalid joystick, ect. 

TonyTonsils

• Offline Offline
« Reply #300 on: February 04, 2017, 05:09:55 pm »
Well that isn't at all like the aforementioned issues others mentioned.  If it crashes at different points then they are two unrelated issues.  The wrappers sets to fullscreen and then waits for the hook which usually occurs around the time of the logos.  So it's crashing right when it's hooked.  The wrapper injects various code into the exe, so that is why steering won't work, ect. 

When the game gets to the title screen, wait a second or two before going forward if arcade mode is enabled.  It can crash if you blow through the title screen immediately. 

Other than that I can't help you.  Atm I'm not working on the game so I'll get back to it when I have my racing rig out again. 

Typically crashes are caused by a configuration error as there isn't any error handling for defining an invalid joystick, ect.

I finally managed to fix my little problem after a bit more tweaking. I assume my problem was that I had both Force Feedback and Wheel Override on even though I didn't have a wheel, since the hook has been working fine ever since disabling both boxes. Ever since then, I'm perfectly able to play the game. Only problem since then is that my USB controller likes to short out, which is a completely unrelated problem. Thanks for the help.

sergiMD

• Offline Offline
« Reply #301 on: February 06, 2017, 08:40:57 am »

THANK YOU! It totally fixed the crash I was having at the start of the race with FXT 2.4. It even works with my 2 disc installation euro version.
FFB, Wheel and pedal overide all the way!

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #302 on: February 06, 2017, 10:07:01 pm »
That's great that it is working for you.  :)

Do me a favor please.  Take a look at the debug info that shows up in the wrapper's debug window and see if anything looks off to you.  That would be the most likely culprit as to why things weren't working and I need to fix it properly. 

sergiMD

• Offline Offline
« Reply #303 on: February 15, 2017, 02:29:13 pm »
Here's a couple of screenshots of the debug window but everything seems normal

Let me know if I can help you in any other way.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #304 on: February 15, 2017, 02:56:42 pm »
Actually that is quite helpful.  Note that in the second pic the total time is all screwed up.  By ignoring the error it just threw up whatever it had, but obviously the formatting as hosed in some way.  I'll look into it. 

sergiMD

• Offline Offline
« Reply #305 on: February 15, 2017, 07:14:28 pm »
Oh, I see it now. Great, glad to help!

anchounio

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 04:24:10 pm
« Reply #306 on: February 22, 2017, 07:54:54 pm »
Hi
First of all, thank you for your mod :)

I was having the same issue as sergiMD and got it solved using the filed you uploaded (OR2FXTTest.rar) :)=

But I'm having an issue I can't solve: the title screen hasn't changed into your modded version. It keeps the OutRun 2006 Coast to Coast logo, and there's no "Press Start" message.

The rest of the patch works fine for me, the rumble works, the arcade icons inside the game are there, the enhancements also seem to work: the game turns directly into Arcade Mode....
the only issue is that game still shows the original title screen of the PC version instead of your modded and cooler one... and I don't know why this happens   :dunno

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #307 on: February 22, 2017, 10:04:40 pm »
Did you download the new video?  The title screen is just a bik video and the alternate ones are posted on the first post. 

anchounio

• Offline Offline
« Reply #308 on: February 23, 2017, 07:11:09 pm »
Yeah, it was that!
sorry, I had missed it.

Thank you  :)

wellemike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #309 on: February 23, 2017, 07:47:27 pm »
There is also the Lindbergh attract mode translated from Japanese into English.
See my posts on the next page to download the bik.
Here is the YouTube link to preview:

« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 09:52:20 pm by wellemike »

anchounio

• Offline Offline
« Reply #310 on: February 25, 2017, 08:20:49 am »
There is also the Lindbergh attract mode translated from Japanese into English.

Here is the YouTube link to preview:

See my above post to download the bik.

Thank you !!!!   This one seems much better :)
and that "Free Play" message on the border will be very explanatory in my arcade cabinet :)

anchounio

• Offline Offline
« Reply #311 on: February 25, 2017, 08:22:27 am »
BTW, Howard, Is there any way to disable START button once Arcade Mode is loaded, so that we can't access options like changing the keys or exiting the game?

That would be very useful to make the game even closer to the Arcade!

Thanks for your mod, it's an awesome work near to perfection :)

wellemike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #312 on: February 25, 2017, 04:51:56 pm »
Hey anchounio,
Glad you liked the video.  I'm working on translating the whole thing right now.  Howard may know a better way to avoid getting the menu box when hitting start.  What I did was to use autohotkey.  Whenever I send the number 1, the program sends enter which allows you to advance through the car menu and does not bring up the menu box during gameplay.  The code is like this:

1::enter

Also, I'm a bit of a novice at this forum.  Does anyone know how to embed a YouTube video in the posts so that you can click on it and it will play?

Thanks
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 06:17:06 pm by wellemike »

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:35:55 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #313 on: February 25, 2017, 08:58:40 pm »
Does anyone know how to embed a YouTube video in the posts so that you can click on it and it will play?
Change "https" to "http".

Before:
Code: [Select]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWj1dDNqfqA
After:
Code: [Select]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWj1dDNqfqA
Result:
! No longer available

After you post, you can click on "modify" (upper right of the post) and correct the title if you don't want it to read "! No longer available".

Scott
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 09:00:12 pm by PL1 »

wellemike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #314 on: February 25, 2017, 11:16:46 pm »
 :applaud:
Thanks,
I followed your directions and modified my previous post.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 11:19:16 pm by wellemike »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #315 on: February 26, 2017, 01:32:26 am »
Probably the next major update I'll allow you to override/modify all of the buttons.  It'll be a big project though so don't hold your breath.  Btw I need to apologize....  I was going to release a new version that allows a partial hud replacement, but I got side-tracked, we had a heat have, and it looks like it might be a while before I'm in the racing cab mood again.  Probably after spring hits so I don't freeze my butt off testing my rig. 

Giddygoon

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2022, 04:13:04 am
« Reply #316 on: February 26, 2017, 02:09:23 pm »
Hey Howard,

Just want say the new update is great the new random song selection is great, not to mention the new bonus cars... I run this on outrun 2 cab, 640 x 480 resolution and the cars on the bonus selection screen look quite blocky around the cars... as if they have scaled down... I know you said you working on the hi res and low res images of the cars... is this still a work in progress ... as you nailed it but the bonus cars do look a little odd...

Thanks again for all your hard work

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #317 on: February 26, 2017, 02:59:38 pm »
It's just the scaling isn't that great and you are scaling the images from 1080p down to 480p.  You can resample them in photoshop or the image manipulator of your choice and they will look much better.  Just use the horizontal resolution as a guide (the images are the width of the screen but NOT the height) and keep the aspect locked. 

Giddygoon

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2022, 04:13:04 am
« Reply #318 on: February 26, 2017, 05:44:13 pm »
Hey Howard,

Thanks for the info, I'll drop into photoshop thx

Btw is there any plans to change the loading screen to the please stand by screen from the original arcade?

I know it's a small detail but it just make the whole experience much closer to the arcade

Also just wanted to say that I was looking forward to the black screen addition when going back to the attract screen...

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #319 on: March 02, 2017, 02:01:28 pm »
This isn't related to the PC version so sorry to sidetrack the thread, but it is Outrun related and something I thought was worth a quick mention - I can't believe I've never noticed this before in all the time I've owned the game, but Outrun Online Arcade has got the missing goal animations in it that I previously thought were only in the Arcade and Japanese PS2 version of Outrun 2 SP. I was capturing some video footage of it the other day so I was able to get a screen grab of the Shuttle taking off. The Volcano eruption's in there too as well. Nice!