Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Outrun 2 FXT 2.4 Released!  (Read 172436 times)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Re: Outrun 2 FXT Beta 2.0 Released!
« Reply #200 on: March 20, 2016, 05:49:05 pm »
The gas pedal doesn't swap the real tracks normally... the view button does, so you would have had to have changed this yourself in the game's settings to get that behavior. 

My hack with swap any track with a track you've prepared.... the name is acquired from the playlists in fxtcfg.  Yes it shows up if you have overlays enabled.  I'm pretty sure I actually disabled the ability to swap tracks without overlays on specifically to avoid confusion.  The tracks have preview music as well, so you can hear the difference.

In SP mode you only have the two albums... you can swap songs with only those two albums.  IN 2k6 mode you can swap any track from any album. 

The hack does NOT swap official tracks with other official tracks unless you have made copies and prepared them to be alt tracks. 

I hope that clears some stuff up because the stuff you guys are saying is quite confusing to me. 

flash951

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 18, 2016, 04:22:39 pm
  • You should use CRT display
    • remimedia
« Reply #201 on: March 20, 2016, 09:20:00 pm »
I've installed your fix, looks interesting.
Do you have a complete list of all it does? (stupid question, I know)

New intro with press "start" button (possible to map "start" button to different keyboard or joy key?)
New sound tracks, nice - works
Support for force feedback, nice
Skips to "arcade" mode automatically, nice - works
I installed the textures from the setup. (Does it replace existing textures in higher resolution, difference to notice?)

One problem, OutRun 2 only supports one controller device. I've got an standard arcade 270 wheel, break and accelerator pedal. I use IPAC 2 that consist of to separate joystick devices, I wired Joy 1 for buttons, steering and accelerator, and Joy 2 for break pedal.

I had to setup a virtual joystick device, Joy 3, in order to get all controls mapped into 1 device, to make Outrun 2 work.
The controls works good now, when sensitivity is cranked to maximum 100%.
I had to turn off all controls from your setup though and use the in-game ones. Does your fix make any changes to the original controls?

« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 09:23:36 pm by flash951 »

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:06:18 pm
  • As I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
« Reply #202 on: March 21, 2016, 08:02:19 pm »
The gas pedal doesn't swap the real tracks normally... the view button does, so you would have had to have changed this yourself in the game's settings to get that behavior. 

My hack with swap any track with a track you've prepared.... the name is acquired from the playlists in fxtcfg.  Yes it shows up if you have overlays enabled.  .

Sorry Howard, I'm still not 100% clear on this - I think I'm just being a bit dense.

To clarify: Do I actually need to do something with the playlist in the CFG folder for the Japan tracks you download at the start of this thread to work or is simply putting them into the sound folder in the game all that's, in theory, required? I don't need to specifically direct the game to swap out, for example, the song Shiny World with the new Japan arrangement of Passing Breeze?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #203 on: March 23, 2016, 12:49:19 am »
It's been a while since I released it, so I'll have to check.  Pretty sure you just drop it in though.

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #204 on: March 23, 2016, 08:57:17 pm »
I've come up with a bit of a DIY solution to the music. There's a whole host of tunes in 2K6 I never listen to, so I've just saved the Japan tunes as .ogg files with the same names as those ones and replaced them altogether. I even chucked in a few of the excellent arranged versions of the Super Hang-On soundtrack just to fully replace all the dross. It means they don't have the right names, but I know what's what so that's fine.

One thing totally unrelated to music I've noticed is that the game still stays open in processes in the task manger after I've exited out of it and I have to stop it from there. I'm fairly certain that I remember reading that this was a problem that others had had as well, but that it had been sorted in one of the earlier alpha builds. Is this an ongoing bug or is there a foolproof way to close it down properly?

OnKz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 14, 2023, 08:24:36 pm
  • Anon Hello Kitty punishes.
    • Unfinished Website
« Reply #205 on: April 19, 2016, 04:21:49 pm »
Howard,
You remember back on the old thread (Hacking Outrun 2006) where that JayFoxRox guy was mentioned?
(the Lindbergh Emulator developer)

Well I was on Reddit and he replied to my thread explaining why he didn't release the emulator.
Link: https://www.reddit.com/r/emulation/comments/4enlwq/sega_lindbergh_arcade_machine_emulation_any/

Also, here's a massive post he made explaining why he didn't release it (also linked in the thread above)
Link: https://www.reddit.com/r/emulation/comments/3ijjcw/xqemu_xbox_emulator_crusty_demons_ingame/cui13h6

So he has plans to release it in the 'future', when Lindbergh is pretty much a dead-zone for SEGA.
Wondering what you think about this? (Not sure if I should be posting this here but it relates to Outrun 2 emulation....)
Hey you! Yeah, you. The guy behind the screen. What you staring at? Get back to work! :P

terminator2k2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 08, 2024, 05:46:40 pm
« Reply #206 on: April 19, 2016, 05:31:02 pm »
in a way I don't believe half the stuff he says regarding Lindbergh emulator....

he says he tries to protect the industry by not releasing it, yet they release multi boot lindberghs which is piracy and doesn't benefit the industry, only their pockets.

they sell this multiboot kit to operators and collectors and not 1 penny goes back to sega....

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #207 on: April 19, 2016, 11:00:04 pm »
Well the excuse about preventing piracy is just that, an excuse.  Someone paid him to crack the protection and release pirated versions of these games, he says so right in the response.  The real reason is if he releases this emulator then he can't make any more money selling multi-boot kits. 

That's the other thing... it's not an emulator... it's a crack like the taito type x stuff.  If it was an emulator then it could be ported to windows fairly easily.  Having to mess with a Linux multi boot kind of kills it for me, but that's just me. 

I find it more likely that the ps3 emulator will make enough progress to emulate online arcade then we see this emulator ever getting released.  Even with 100% good intentions the thing about having an unfinished solution sitting around when you have other means to play the game is that over time you become less interested in finishing it. 

I mean no ill will towards the project btw... I just call em like I see them. 

OnKz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 14, 2023, 08:24:36 pm
  • Anon Hello Kitty punishes.
    • Unfinished Website
« Reply #208 on: May 02, 2016, 03:46:11 pm »
Update:

https://www.reddit.com/r/emulation/comments/3ijjcw/xqemu_xbox_emulator_crusty_demons_ingame/cuirlje

So he wants to release it soon but it's 'too much work' for him and he needs to find 'capable coders' and sort 'legal stuff'.
Nope. He's just making up excuses, it's clear.

Unless he gets people to 'help' him and is actually gonna try doing it. IDK.

Anyway, enough of him for now. We can give him more attention when he actually releases something.

Hey you! Yeah, you. The guy behind the screen. What you staring at? Get back to work! :P

mjay89

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 15, 2016, 08:02:58 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #209 on: May 13, 2016, 07:49:17 pm »
Hello Castro,
Congratulations on Releasing the best thing next to the game itself! I must say really appreciate how you had paid little attention to details and came up with it day by day.

For me it is of much worth as I own a little setup of my own, an arcade play area you may say... I was recently looking into my outrun2SP Chinese cabinet which I bought in 2013 and we lost its HDD due to voltage fluctuation.. I'm looking forward to working on it on my own although there seems I'd be facing two main issues:

1. The I/O card driver which was embedded into the HDD and I dont read Chinese or have found a proper Brand Tag on it
2. I'll have to be able to disable the inputs once the game is over or maybe a put a time limit per credit.

But the one thing I was worried about most was the Force Feedback to the Wheel.. I must say really appreciate your huge effort! Thanks a bunch!

:cheers:

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 02:38:32 am
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #210 on: June 13, 2016, 05:05:49 pm »
Howard I have been trying *ALL MORNING* to get this hack to work. Two things are occurring, one of which isn;t even related to FXT:

The first one is, I have the original two disc PC-CD Rom version of the game. Despite NUMEROUS attempts and re-installations, I can't get the game to launch at all on my Windows 7 64bit machine! Not sure what's going on but it used to run fine on my old desktop. The second thing is, since my CD-rom  version isn't even launching, I decided to grab what appears to be the one disc DVD-rom of the game off a torrent site. Problem now is, upon launching FXT using that version, it runs and then after a few minutes crashes. :( Not to mention that the changes I've made in the FXT config don't seem to take effect in the game. I'm getting no ffb in my wheel at alland the gears, despite being mapped to 1-2-3-4-5-6 on my shifter, doesn't behave like it's supposed it(they're doing stupid stuff like changing views and whatnot).

I'm starting to have doubts as to whether FXT is compatible with this particular version of the game I d/led off pirate bay.  Is there any way you can please help me by telling me which exact version of the game I should be using, and which ones you guys are using? I've read somewhere on the first page where you mentioned how FXT will not work with the Steam version of the game. I tried it anyway and sure enough, it crashes after a couple minutes into the game.

One last thing......before you ask, yes I properly placed the dx8vb.dll file in both my sysWOW64 folder *AND* my System32 folder. So that shouldn't be the issue.

Please help me resolve this by telling me how to identify the *EXACT* version of the game I need to use in order for FXT to run properly without crashing.

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #211 on: June 13, 2016, 05:48:19 pm »
My version was a digital download from a now defunct (I think) UK based digital games distributor and FXT works fine with it on both PCs I'm using it on. I don't know how to find out what version of the game it is, but if you do I can check for you.

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #212 on: June 14, 2016, 03:29:55 am »
Hey MT whassup mate?

Thanks for your help. Well I have good news and bad news. The good news is, I FINALLY got the damn game function somewhat properly now. You wouldn't believe some of weird ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- that goes on with this game. What was really driving me up the wall was the fact that my Escape key didn't work, like....AT ALL in the game! It took me hours of trial and error messing around until I figured it out and narrowed it down to vJoy. For sosme stupid reason having the "rY" Axis enabled in vJoy causes the game to render my keyboard's Escape key absolutely useless. Why in Sam's Green Hell this is, is beyond me! Anyway that's taken care of.

Now...further good news.....I've come to the conclusion that it's fairly safe to say that the copy of the game I d/led is in fact the 1-Disc DVD version. Now why in the world my original 2-Disc PC CD-Rom version of OR2K6 won't launch at all is the biggest mystery I've ever seen. Perhaps they discontinued that version for a reason. It is afterall, the very first edition of the PC version of the game. Maybe it's disc drives but maybe it's Securom. Who knows? In any case the DVD image I have now is fully working which brings me to the third piece of good news.....

Outrun FXT is WORKING(well, almost, but I'll get to that in a second). I have tested out all the features of the hack and everything seems to be working in the game. I  figured out why FXT was crashing and solved the issue. I have to say Howard, you've done a marvelous job with this hack. The fact that I can map views as well as gears to individual buttons is pretty awesome! I haven't tried any of the texture packs or the radio options yet but I'll get around to those soon.

OK now for the bad news.......the MAIN reason i was excited about this hack and have been frothing at the mouth over the thought of using it, is....yes, you guessed it.....the Force Feedback. Simply put, the FFB feature is not working. Here's what's wrong in a nutshell....having the "Enable Force Feedback" box checked in the FXT Config options is fine if I set device # to none. But changing it to #7, which is where my FFB wheel is in the Windows Device registry,  causes FXT Troubleshooter to not function. If I leave FFB enabled and device ID at #7, FXT will launch the game, and sit in the taskbar like it's supposed to, but then it ceases to work, because right clicking or double clicking the icon does NOT launch the troubleshooter debug menu. Furthermore the app is almost certain to crash no more than a couple minutes into the game. Secondly, if I unplug all my USB controllers and leave only the wheel, and then select FFB and Device # at 1, I STILL get no reaction from the game. Could it be that the default values in the FFB.ini file are very low and I need to increase them? If so, I would like to know more about the parameters of the FFB.ini and just how far I can max those values? Can the Multipler be maxed to say 99,999?

Howard if you're reading this please assist me in any way you can. I'm really curious as to what is causing FXT to function improperly by setting the FFB Device ID # to 7? Otherwise the app is great.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #213 on: June 14, 2016, 08:23:55 am »
It sounds like you are having issues with your pc.  FXT doesn't do anything that would crash the game... it's quite passive.  Now fxt itself might crash, but I've yet to get a report of the game itself crashing.  Also if you have 7 game controllers plugged in that is the problem.  2k6 gets confused if more than one controller is plugged in.... I can only imagine 7.  If you don't then the id is not 7.  The first controller is 1, the second is 2, ect......  in vista and beyond the order they are assigned is quite random, so you'll have to play with it to determine which one it is.

I didn't respond to the version question because I wasn't even aware of a 2 disc version.  The multi-language dvd is what I use. 

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #214 on: June 14, 2016, 11:37:11 pm »
It sounds like you are having issues with your pc.  FXT doesn't do anything that would crash the game... it's quite passive.  Now fxt itself might crash, but I've yet to get a report of the game itself crashing.  Also if you have 7 game controllers plugged in that is the problem.  2k6 gets confused if more than one controller is plugged in.... I can only imagine 7.  If you don't then the id is not 7.  The first controller is 1, the second is 2, ect......  in vista and beyond the order they are assigned is quite random, so you'll have to play with it to determine which one it is.

I didn't respond to the version question because I wasn't even aware of a 2 disc version.  The multi-language dvd is what I use.

Hi Howard and thanks for the reply. Just to clarify, it's FXT that is crashing, not the game. The game continues to run fine. I'm using the multi-language dvd version as well and it's running good. Also, allow me to re-iterate.....I tried playing the game with *ONLY* my Bodnar wheel plugged in, and nothing else. Fired up the FXT config tool and assigned the device ID to #1, which is correct since it's the only device listed there. Fired up 2K6 and the same thing happened. FXT stops working. Just hangs, and doesn't respond to double clicking or right clicking the icon at all, and then a few seconds later I get the "FXT Feel the Road has stopped working" error. This *ONLY* happens when FXT's FFB matches up with the device ID of my wheel.

The other point I'd like to make, is that 2K6 only gets confused with 7 controllers *IF* you attempt to map axis and buttons from controllers *other* than the very first one(default). Fortunately I'm using vJoy, which aggregates all your USB devices into one virtual joystick that windows plays nice with. Only problem with vJoy is that it doesn't support force feedback properly and needs something called a "feeder" in order for it to support ffb.

Anyway I'm still stuck with this problem. FXT simply does not want to play nice with my wheel for some reason. The Bodnar wheel does have a stupid amount of power and torque, but at the end of the day, it is still a standard generic HID-compliant Windows based USB Joystick that fully supports all DirectX programs that deliver FFB. I've tried OutRun 2SP in the PCSX2 emulator and although the ffb needs to be turned up a few notches, it is working quite well. It just doesn't run all that great unfortunately and certainly doesn't look as pretty as the PC version. Model 2 and Supermodel work beautifully as well.

In any case Howard, please ponder this situation and think about what may be happening with FXT and my wheel. Could there perhaps be parameter contained in the FFB.ini file that doesn't match up properly with a steering wheel with this much power and frequency? What in the ini file can I try to tweak to perhaps make this work?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #215 on: June 15, 2016, 12:12:19 am »
Why don't you try the included effect files in fedit.exe and see if they play ok with your wheel. (You have to map them to the wheel and play them back)  It could be as simple as the effects I'm using don't work with your wheel.  New ones could be made quite easily. 

What about joystick override and remapping?  Are those working with your wheel?  We need to figure out if it's direct input, or force-feedback specifically. 

Also is vJoy installed and active?  That counts as a joystick.  I'm not sure what effect, if any, it would have. 

Also turn outputs off for now if you have them on just to make sure that isn't the issue. 

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #216 on: June 15, 2016, 02:26:47 am »
Why don't you try the included effect files in fedit.exe and see if they play ok with your wheel. (You have to map them to the wheel and play them back)  It could be as simple as the effects I'm using don't work with your wheel.  New ones could be made quite easily. 

What about joystick override and remapping?  Are those working with your wheel?  We need to figure out if it's direct input, or force-feedback specifically. 

Also is vJoy installed and active?  That counts as a joystick.  I'm not sure what effect, if any, it would have. 

Also turn outputs off for now if you have them on just to make sure that isn't the issue.

OK Howard good news and bad news bro....

The good news: I've narrowed down the problem. When unplugging *ALL* other devices including vJoy with the only *EXCEPTION* being my wheel, I'm now getting an effect from the game via FXT. It is definitely the FFB aspect of the program.

The bad news: FXT's force feedback and the way it's been programmed into it is the sole culprit of the issue. The issue revolves around the device IDs. FXT force feedback does not like "talking" to ANY devices other than device #1. Even if you do not have any other devices plugged in and only one, if you set FXT FFB to any other device number it will cause FXT to hang and consequently crash a minute later. I have tested this numerous times and have confirmed this is the root cause of the issue.

More bad news.......when my wheel is the only device plugged and I set FXT's FFB device # to 1, as said above I *DO* now get an effect through my wheel from the game via FXT.....the problem is, it's a vibration effect and it's activated as soon as the game starts. It doesn't go away either. My wheel remains vibrating all throughout the game's activity, whether I'm in the menu's or on the track. No on/off behavior and no variable strength in the rumble intensity at all. Just constant rumble, rumble and even more rumble....until I shut down the game entirely.

Any ideas? If you could figure out a way to somehow re-code the way FXT looks for ffb devices, and have it so that it doesn't throw a fit when you try to pair it with a device listed as ID#7, that would be great.  :cheers:

All other functions within FXT(remapping, wheel override, etc) working OK AFAICT

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #217 on: June 15, 2016, 12:24:46 pm »
Ok thanks for the info.  I didn't want to say anything until you confirmed, but it sounds like it's your wheel.  I use the most basic, most universally used effect types for fxt to maximize compatibility.  The fact that your wheel isn't operating as it should suggests that your wheel doesn't support these types of effects.  So it's not as regular as you thought.  ;)

Either the wheel it loading one effect and crashing it's queue, or the wheel doesn't support on-the-fly manipulation of effects.  You are going to want to try those effects in fedit.exe like I suggested to see what is going on.  I can walk you through the process if needed. 

As for the device ID issue, it could be on my end and it could be on yours.  Granted I haven't tested it in a few builds, but device IDs other than 1 do work.... or at least they did.  The id issue could be related to your wheel issue.  If force-feedback connections are lost, fxt attempts to re-connect.   

Right now my racing rig is in parts and my wheel is bolted to it, so I can't do much in the way of troubleshooting.  I will look over the code tonight and see if I can catch anything that would cause force feedback to fail on different IDs.   

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #218 on: June 15, 2016, 03:18:47 pm »
Ok thanks for the info.  I didn't want to say anything until you confirmed, but it sounds like it's your wheel.  I use the most basic, most universally used effect types for fxt to maximize compatibility.  The fact that your wheel isn't operating as it should suggests that your wheel doesn't support these types of effects.  So it's not as regular as you thought.  ;)

Either the wheel it loading one effect and crashing it's queue, or the wheel doesn't support on-the-fly manipulation of effects.  You are going to want to try those effects in fedit.exe like I suggested to see what is going on.  I can walk you through the process if needed. 

As for the device ID issue, it could be on my end and it could be on yours.  Granted I haven't tested it in a few builds, but device IDs other than 1 do work.... or at least they did.  The id issue could be related to your wheel issue.  If force-feedback connections are lost, fxt attempts to re-connect.   

Right now my racing rig is in parts and my wheel is bolted to it, so I can't do much in the way of troubleshooting.  I will look over the code tonight and see if I can catch anything that would cause force feedback to fail on different IDs.

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure if I mentioned this already but 2 out of the 3 effects you created for FXT do work in fedit. The one called "1AxisCF.ffe" doesn't do anything though. Not sure how this effect is supposed to feel but the other two rumble my wheel in fedit nicely. Please let me know if you find anything in code when you look over it later tonight.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #219 on: June 15, 2016, 07:38:18 pm »
What you want to do is try manipulating the effects while they are running... changing the direction or magnitude.  That'll let you know if the wheel allows on-the-fly manipulation.

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #220 on: June 16, 2016, 02:50:00 pm »
What you want to do is try manipulating the effects while they are running... changing the direction or magnitude.  That'll let you know if the wheel allows on-the-fly manipulation.

Hi Howard. I can confirm that the wheel *does* allow manipulation of effects on the fly. Was able to change direction and magnitude like you said.

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #221 on: June 17, 2016, 11:21:18 pm »
Hey Howard good news man! Although I haven't managed to get the FFB working in FXT, I did manage to get Xinput working!!!!  :applaud: I downloaded the latest x360CE plugin that tricks DirectInput devices into thinking they're Xbox controllers, and now the xinput part of FXT captures my wheel as an xpinut device, giving me FULL RUMBLE!!! So far the rumble is working great and with the x360CE options you can increase the strength of the rumble on top of what's already in your ini parameters. Correct me if I'm wrong but am I correct in assuming that the standard force feedback part of the FXT plugin has no benefit over the xinput rumble you've implemented? Because if I remember correctly, the effects themselves only consists of basic rumble of varying strength(ie no wheel torque based on what the car's doing). If this is the case, then I'm perfectly fine using xinput rumble rather the force feedback option of FXT.

The *ONLY* thing I'm missing Howard, is a center spring effect. I don't remember whether or not you've given us an option to enable a spring effect, but can you please upload a version of FXT that includes a center spring effect? Or is it something I can add myself via MameHooker or Fedit? I already have couple fedit files I created a few years ago that deliver spring effects. How can I incorporate them into the Xinput portion of FXT? Please let me know.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #222 on: June 17, 2016, 11:59:54 pm »
Well kinda sorta.  I use two types of effects in direct input that are fairly similar to the two rumble motors in a xinput device.  It would start to become an issue if/when I start adding constant force from taking turns and such.  You'll notice when you open up the or2wheel.ffe you see left motor, right motor and spring.  1axiscf.ffe isn't implemented yet and that would be for force created by taking turns. 

Spring effects can typically be enabled via an external profiler.  I can certainly enable the effect in direct input, but since the force feedback isn't working for you I'm not sure it would take.  I'm actually using the spring effect in the ffe file to do a center spring.  The idea was the user could weaken or strengthen the stiffness of the spring by sending the speedo data, but it isn't implemented yet other than turning the spring off when in menus. 

The real world is hitting me pretty hard lately... I haven't had much time to investigate your issue, but so far I can't see anything wrong on my end. 

Everything is kind of in a holding pattern atm as well.  We are waiting for headkaze's tcp output changes to be accepted in mame, then I update mamehooker to support tcp connections.  I'll probably drop dde support and upgrade troubleshooter 2 and fxt to use tcp solutions just so I don't have to deal with 4 connection methods to mamehooker.

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #223 on: June 18, 2016, 08:40:25 pm »
Well kinda sorta.  I use two types of effects in direct input that are fairly similar to the two rumble motors in a xinput device.  It would start to become an issue if/when I start adding constant force from taking turns and such.  You'll notice when you open up the or2wheel.ffe you see left motor, right motor and spring.  1axiscf.ffe isn't implemented yet and that would be for force created by taking turns. 

Spring effects can typically be enabled via an external profiler.  I can certainly enable the effect in direct input, but since the force feedback isn't working for you I'm not sure it would take.  I'm actually using the spring effect in the ffe file to do a center spring.  The idea was the user could weaken or strengthen the stiffness of the spring by sending the speedo data, but it isn't implemented yet other than turning the spring off when in menus. 

The real world is hitting me pretty hard lately... I haven't had much time to investigate your issue, but so far I can't see anything wrong on my end. 

Everything is kind of in a holding pattern atm as well.  We are waiting for headkaze's tcp output changes to be accepted in mame, then I update mamehooker to support tcp connections.  I'll probably drop dde support and upgrade troubleshooter 2 and fxt to use tcp solutions just so I don't have to deal with 4 connection methods to mamehooker.

Thanks for the reply and I hope you feel better bro. Don't let real life beat you up too hard.

Just a few things I want to mention.....I have TWO xinput dll files. X360CE(the one I mentioned above and what allows me to take advantage of your rumble effects for OR2K6) produces one of the dll files. The *other* dll file is the one I've talked about in the past that Racer_S made for me a few years back. That one in particular produces a *continues*(ie always on) inertia and spring effect(fully adjustable on my end and in real time)  for any game I want by simply starting the "Test" app. As long as the "test" app is active nothing else acquires my FFB wheel device, it remains on and active. This works for many Non-FFB supported games including OR2K6 and would be a perfect solution for a center spring, BUT......

Problem is, in order to take advantage of the rumble effects you've created for the game, I *need* to have the other dll file(for x360CE) active. Without it, it just doesn't read any effects from the game. It would be nice if I could somehow manage to activate both dlls simultaneously, and have it where both of them can "acquire" my FFB wheel at the same time. Can you tell me if there is any possibility to accomplish this with Windows 7? If I could get both dlls to acquire my wheel, then I'd be all set and be good to go! I'd have one dll delivering the center spring, and other one reading your rumble effects through the game and to my wheel. If this is something you may know about how to get done, please let me know bro.

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #224 on: June 18, 2016, 09:57:19 pm »
HOLY ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- HOWARD ARE YOU ---smurfing--- KIDDING ME????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Wait a minute what? what? WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Dude....these force feedback effects are ---smurfing--- BANANAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just cranked my wheel up a bit to around 25% strength and set the effect in x360CE to "sine" and now....holy ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---....they feel AMAZEBALLS!!!!! The forces when colliding with other cars, running off the road, even SHIFTING!!!! OMFG this is RIDICULOUS!!!!!! Dude you ---smurfing--- KILLED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :notworthy:

All the effects are working BEAUTIFULLY  :notworthy:

Man....finally OutRun 2006 pc WITH FORCE FEEDBACK!!! I'm in heaven! You should feel how it feels using a Bodnar wheel bro. Your effects come through crystal ---smurfing--- clear!!!! Almost "Daytona-like"! I'm gonna keep messing around with the settings in both your ini file and x360CE but for now, man they feel great!

Once I get the spring effect incorporated and working some way or another, it'll be absolutely PERFECT!!!!!

Howard you are the ---smurfing--- MAN bro! I mean it!!!! Thanks for this hack! You've made my dreams come true, having FFb in OR2K6 for PC!!!

:jerry :w00t  :notworthy: :dizzy: :cheers:

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #225 on: June 18, 2016, 11:53:44 pm »
I would thank the guys at Sumo.  I didn't understand their logic when starting the project, but after some talks and more investigation it all made sense.  The data was hard to find but most of it IS in there already, I just had to normalize it and setup a system to use it.  The tire vibration FF for the rainy stages and bridges... that was all me though.  ;)

The biggest issues remaining have to do with the fact that force feedback is a dying art and there are next to no tutorials on the net.  Sure guides on setting functions up are available, but their odd quirks and how to best use said functions is nowhere to be found.  I basically have to figure it out on my own unless I want to work for Microsoft's games division or something. 

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #226 on: June 19, 2016, 02:24:04 am »
I would thank the guys at Sumo.  I didn't understand their logic when starting the project, but after some talks and more investigation it all made sense.  The data was hard to find but most of it IS in there already, I just had to normalize it and setup a system to use it.  The tire vibration FF for the rainy stages and bridges... that was all me though.  ;)

The biggest issues remaining have to do with the fact that force feedback is a dying art and there are next to no tutorials on the net.  Sure guides on setting functions up are available, but their odd quirks and how to best use said functions is nowhere to be found.  I basically have to figure it out on my own unless I want to work for Microsoft's games division or something.

Ahh I understand. Well good work nonetheless. What a shame Sumo went through all the trouble of putting the effects in there for motion, but didn't activate them for wheels. It took someone like you to make things right.

Anyway I was just wondering....regarding my post above(the one before the previous one) about the dll files. Do you know of a way to set it up so that two dll files can acquire my ffb wheel simultaneously? I tried renaming the second dll to xinput 1.3 (2) but no luck. If I activate the one for center spring, my wheel gets the spring....but as soon as the game puts me on the track, the other dll file kicks in and acquires the wheel while the spring effect dll gets dropped. If I could make both of them remain active I'd be golden.

FrEtBuRnEr89

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 03, 2018, 01:11:32 am
  • Why is the rum always gone?
« Reply #227 on: June 25, 2016, 03:18:12 pm »
Hey guys, long time lurker, first time poster here.  I just wanted to personally thank Howard for all of his hard work in regards improving Out Run 2006.  I downloaded and installed the 2.1 beta, and it worked like a champ with my Win10 Thrustmaster T300RS rig.  Makes the game that much better.  Thanks again Howard!   :notworthy:

My game room: MAME cab, Hydro Thunder sitdown, Super Hang-On upright, Star Wars Trilogy Arcade upright, Karate Champ, and Chicago Gaming Redline GT Driving Cab w/47" 3D LG HDTV

Pedro Pablo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 05, 2017, 10:52:33 pm
« Reply #228 on: July 26, 2016, 01:35:04 am »
Sup

Some time ago i've tried OR2FXT. Nice enhancement! Now 've got a problem, never happend before :/

I have a DFGT steering wheel and I used to play with the Wheel Override option because the deadzone of OR2006 it's lame. But when I activated it I can't steer in the game, even with the keyboard.

IDK what I have done
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 08:42:18 pm by Pedro Pablo »

ralphup

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 27, 2016, 05:59:21 pm
« Reply #229 on: July 27, 2016, 10:49:36 am »
Justs to say THANKS Howard for this patcher!

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #230 on: July 28, 2016, 08:20:56 pm »
Justs to say THANKS Howard for this patcher!

I believe this news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

adf00

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 05, 2016, 09:08:06 pm
« Reply #231 on: July 29, 2016, 09:02:24 am »
Hey all, long time gamer, first time Outrun 2 player - I've been on an old-school/arcadey vibe recently, and figured I'd give Outrun 2006 a go. Needless to say, I love it. Just what I was looking for.

Unfortunately, I've been having problems getting Outrun 2 FXT to work at all. I'm currently playing in Windows 10 with a wireless Xbox 360 controller connected via an official MS wireless dongle. I was able to install the texture pack, but rumble doesn't seem to work at all. Also, FXT seems to crash seemingly at random every time I've tried it. To be honest, I'm most interested in the rumble support provided by FXT. At first I was having issues with the controller working at all, but unchecking "Wheel override" sorted that right out. I've disabled AA as I read that certain wrappers (namely SweetFX and its ilk) had issues with that, though I suspect that's totally unrelated... still, figured it was worth a try!

I've followed the instructions in the readme, and manually registered the dx8vb.dll as I thought that might be causing some problems. That said, I ran the FXTconfig.exe as admin and that seemed to handle it for me, but figured I'd at least rule that out as a possibility. I've also tried running the game in XP SP3 compatibility mode, and I've tried running it with admin rights - nothing seems to work for me. I figure I'm probably doing something really really stupid (besides trying to run a game that came out in 2006 in Win10), so I figured I'd post this here and see if anyone could shed any light on why this isn't working.

I don't want this to sound like I'm taking away from the achievement of creating this patch because, by all accounts, it sounds really, really fantastic, and regardless of my own situation I really appreciate you taking the time to put it together and share it at all!

Cheers all :)

jakob91

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 15, 2016, 11:53:43 pm
« Reply #232 on: September 10, 2016, 11:33:48 pm »
Thank you for the mod. I ran into FFB issues with my wheel (logitech g27) so I thought I had to report it in case some other people had the same problem.

Beside the vibrations when going off-track, I got no force feedback in the game. The only way I managed to trigger the FFB was to press the windows key and return to the game window. Then the FFB works for about a second and disappear right away. I have the dx8vb.dll in my main Outrun 2 folder as well as my syswow64 folder.
The second problem I ran into is the third gear on the shift knob that seems to brake the car as well. I'm searching in the .INIs but can't seem to find the culprit.
Third problem is the wheel degrees. No matter the setting I put in my logitech profiler (my other games are working with their respective profile) I'm always stuck at 900 degrees in this game.

OS is win7 64 sp1. FF.ini is default but I changed the keys for gearshift by trial and error. If I can throw a suggestions, it would be great to be able to skip the game intro (I must have seen like like 50 times by now just by trying to adjust this mod).

Well that's pretty much it, good luck with the rest of your project!

PS: capcha is.... well I gonna scream now.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #233 on: September 11, 2016, 01:16:50 am »
If you are expecting force applied to the wheel when turning or something that isn't going to happen.  You get feedback when running off the road, over some bridges, when driving in the rain, or if you run into something hard enough to generate sparks.  That's. it.  Aside from that, I made effect files that worked with my wheel using fedit.exe  Testing each effect within that program will let you know if they are compatible with your wheel.

The gearshift problem is probably your own.  You most likely have the input you have mapped to the 3rd gear also mapped to the brake in the game itself.  The down arrow and down hat switch are hard-coded in game to brake and Y+ axis is mapped to it by default. 

I don't have a g27, so I'm unsure about the 900 degree thing. Turn off wheel override in the settings?

The intros can't be skipped unfortunately.  They are cleverly disguised loading screens.   

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #234 on: September 11, 2016, 05:28:18 am »
Hi Howard. Good to see you're still around buddy. I have a question and maybe even a small favor to ask....

Is there a way to increase the maximum strength of the *xinput* forces? I have the values you've set already at their max value and the forces, while OK, are still a bit on the weak side. Do you suppose you can submit an modified xinput ini file with larger parameters to deliver more strength for each individual effect?

Also, any luck getting the spring effect into the xinput side of things?

I really can't figure out why FXT Troubleshooter crashes when attempting to use the DInput version of the FFB. All your effects work perfectly within the fedit program. Strange.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #235 on: September 11, 2016, 12:54:28 pm »
You can increase the xinput global multiplier beyond 1.  I've used 2 or more on some of the weaker gamepads. 

I haven't worked on this in months unfortunately.  My health is up and down, so I only work on whatever I'm interested at the time.  ATM I'm trying to write a proper wiimote "driver", which nobody has really done yet. 

jakob91

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 15, 2016, 11:53:43 pm
« Reply #236 on: September 11, 2016, 01:05:18 pm »
Thanks for the quick reply. I didn't know there were force feedback when driving in the rain but not in the dry. The way I get it there is no FFB at all, only vibrations on some surfaces that are translated onto the wheel so that explains it.

I changed the gear input because they weren't mapped properly on my wheel. I did nothing to the pedal axis or to any brake key/button so it might be a concern to people on a G27 wheel when hitting the 3rd gear and this is why I shared the issue :)

The profiler was set to authorize the game to adjust the wheel, usually it's working fine with other games. I guess I would need to invest more time on all these issues but if there is no real FFB while driving, I don't see the point to use my wheel with it as I only got major clipping while going off track and a dead wheel on tarmac so I guess it's not for me.

take care and best of luck with your wiimote project as well.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #237 on: September 11, 2016, 02:12:33 pm »
It's force-feedback. Vibrations=force feedback.  I modeled the effects I included off of the xbox version and it matches it almost perfectly.  What you are talking about is resistance when turning, which is a rarity on any arcade racer.  I will probably add it in the future though.

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #238 on: September 12, 2016, 05:17:45 am »
OK Howard don't sweat it bro, I'll try increasing the global value. Thanks and get better!

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:10:48 pm
« Reply #239 on: September 12, 2016, 09:46:45 am »
It's force-feedback. Vibrations=force feedback.

Not in my mind.

directional force=force feedback

vibrations=rumble