Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Outrun 2 FXT 2.4 Released!  (Read 172377 times)

terminator2k2

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 08, 2024, 05:46:40 pm
Re: Outrun 2 FXT Beta 2.0 Released!
« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2015, 01:57:36 pm »
hi howard , my vr buttons are wired to a I-pac keyboard encoder, and the reason I use the arrow keys are so I can navigate in pc games aswell as use them in games like Daytona etc.

im in the process of re-downloading the game in case this was the problem. I did as you said originally with the vr buttons but nothing was working. I checked the vr .ini file and it corresponded to what I changed the buttons to.

is there a settings file that anyone has that uses a Logitech wheel and peddles with the original Daytona setup? as I don't have any buttons with the Logitech and when I try set up the acc and break I have to press select on the wheel, a button I don't have.

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:10:48 pm
« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2015, 02:02:48 pm »
is there a settings file that anyone has that uses a Logitech wheel and peddles with the original Daytona setup? as I don't have any buttons with the Logitech and when I try set up the acc and break I have to press select on the wheel, a button I don't have.

Have you tried hooking up a keyboard and just using whatever the default keyboard key is?
It only has to be done once.

terminator2k2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2015, 02:53:06 pm »
I guess its not working correctly as I get app hang problem , even though the game starts to works...

just a update on this: if I disable ffb and wheel override it works with the vr buttons and the little added extras.....a bit strange but im getting there..

ok all seems well, just the acc and break need sorting now...nice work
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 03:29:39 pm by terminator2k2 »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2015, 03:38:06 pm »
Well then you didn't download and register the dx8vb.dll I posted earlier.  If FFB doesn't work then you don't have the dll registered. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2015, 04:33:54 pm »
Ok I managed to get the foreign language packs up.  They aren't fully tested, but I went through the menus and everything looked ok.  If there is a glitch/error in the textures please contact me.  (And try to speak in English as I'm a dumb American.  ;) )

terminator2k2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2015, 04:41:29 pm »
Well then you didn't download and register the dx8vb.dll I posted earlier.  If FFB doesn't work then you don't have the dll registered.

I did have it installed....the problem was I was trying to use the programme using the keyboard only, no wheel , and with the options enabled for ffb and wheel over ride, it was throwing a wobbly....

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2015, 04:59:35 pm »
I get what you are saying.  Yeah... wheel override with the menu override option checked kills the arrow keys.... for navigation at least.  That's how it's supposed to work.  Eventually 100% of the controls are going to be handled on my end, and we won't run into these issues. 

But FF should work and it shouldn't interfere with the VR buttons...  you might want to run the game in windowed version once and click on the little outrun icon in the right hand corner of your task bar.  If it's hanging (won't open) then it's the dll.... you might have it installed in the wrong place. 

The dll thing is going to be an issue.... why they stopped putting it in directX installs again, after they removed it, got complaints, and re-added it is beyond me.  I'll make an installer or something for the next release.   
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 05:02:34 pm by Howard_Casto »

terminator2k2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2015, 05:59:07 pm »
Maybe it's how I wrote it,  first off I didn't have the wheel and pedals attached, only the keyboard for testing purposes,  with FFb and wheel overrides enabled , it crashed the app and your mods stopped working.  Even though the game started.

So still with only the keyboard in use I disabled the FFb and wheel  overrides and it worked, even the vr buttons worked fine.

So I re- plugged the USB for the wheel and pedals and enabled FFb and wheel overides, and now everything runs great, vr buttons, FFb , steering , all good.

Only problem I did have was on the car/ audio selection part. When I turned the wheel it sent the selection all the way to the right and couldn't go back left.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2015, 06:22:56 pm »
Ok THAT is an issue.  I'll look into it thanks. 

Menu override for the wheel was literally a last second thing, so it very well could have bugs. 

FaithLes2425

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 06, 2020, 02:48:15 pm
  • Bingo!
« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2015, 06:29:12 pm »
Only problem I did have was on the car/ audio selection part. When I turned the wheel it sent the selection all the way to the right and couldn't go back left.

Thats the same issue im having but, for me it happens at the car select screen aswell. Only when i check Wheel override setting. Unfortunetly, i have to check it since the game thinks my Wheel and gear 3 and 4 is the same axis.
I can also confirm that the FFB is fading away the faster the car goes. It might be a G27 issue?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 10:29:24 pm by FaithLes2425 »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #50 on: September 04, 2015, 07:03:04 pm »
In 2 SP mode I'm getting the issue with the menus... it's odd as I've opened up cheat engine and confirmed that it's writing the correct value.  Let me look into it. 

As for the speed thing I can't replicate it and a different wheel shouldn't change anything.  I take the car speed and average it out until it's a number between 0 and 1 and then multiply the effect strength by it.  It's pretty hard to screw up. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #51 on: September 04, 2015, 07:11:23 pm »
Well I figured out the menu issue.  Apparently the game wants a long variable type but I was sending an integer.  That doesn't make a whole lot of sense considering I'm just sending a bytes worth of data, but whatever. 

I'll look into the speed issue.  What car are you using?  Which Class?  Mph or Kph?

FaithLes2425

• Offline Offline
  • Bingo!
« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2015, 07:21:15 pm »
The car all the way to the right ;-) 250GTO. Although if i press start fast enough i can select a diffrent car. but its the same with the once I tryed. I use km/h not sure about the class. I can just select every thing to the right in SP. Sound a bit like the ffb is reversed. do you use combined pedels? I have tryed using the up arrow for speed and still using the Wheel but, its the same.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 07:24:40 pm by FaithLes2425 »

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2015, 08:27:11 pm »
The car all the way to the right ;-) 250GTO. Although if i press start fast enough i can select a diffrent car. but its the same with the once I tryed. I use km/h not sure about the class. I can just select every thing to the right in SP. Sound a bit like the ffb is reversed. do you use combined pedels? I have tryed using the up arrow for speed and still using the Wheel but, its the same.
Not sure if it makes a difference in ffb, but what do you have the rotation set to on the g27? 

FaithLes2425

• Offline Offline
  • Bingo!
« Reply #54 on: September 04, 2015, 08:31:49 pm »
270 for every game.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #55 on: September 04, 2015, 08:48:22 pm »
For this game 180 might work better.  I still don't think that's the issue though.  I looked at my multiplier code and it couldn't be simpler. 

FFVars(xy) = FFVars(xy) * (MPHVal / 180)

So yeah, I divide the actual MPH speed by 180, which is roughly the top speed of the cars to give me a value between 0 and 1.  I then take the variable I'm about to send to the wheel and multiply by that value, essentially giving a percentage of the full value.  Maybe if the wrapper isn't getting the speed but I don't see how.  You might want to run the game in windowed mode with the fxt debug menu open to see if what it's showing for speed is correct. 

In the meantime, here is a little test exe.  Replace it with the original and it should fix the menu issues.  Let me know how it works. 

FaithLes2425

• Offline Offline
  • Bingo!
« Reply #56 on: September 04, 2015, 08:55:06 pm »
Will test once i get home from work. So do you think i can just set the game to mph and that should fix the ffb?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #57 on: September 04, 2015, 09:02:09 pm »
It shouldn't make a difference.  I read the values internally and even though only one is shown, they are both in memory to read.  I tried mine on kph and it worked.  This is the strangest issue I've ever seen.

FaithLes2425

• Offline Offline
  • Bingo!
« Reply #58 on: September 04, 2015, 09:28:42 pm »
It could be somthing entirely diffrent. I have no idea what since the FFB works with every other pc title that supports it, and model2 and 3. I do have an identical setup with only slight changes since thats the slave machine but, all the hardware is exacly the same. I havent tested on that yet but i asume it will be the same resoult since, someone in here said he has this issue with HEs G27 wheel aswell . Does the settings matter for the pedals? Mine is set to combined.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 09:41:18 pm by FaithLes2425 »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #59 on: September 04, 2015, 09:38:48 pm »
No, none of that should matter as it doesn't affect the speed. 

FaithLes2425

• Offline Offline
  • Bingo!
« Reply #60 on: September 04, 2015, 09:43:45 pm »
I will try out every thing you told me ASP and report back.
Till then, thank you for your OR2FXTtest.rar :-)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 09:45:35 pm by FaithLes2425 »

FaithLes2425

• Offline Offline
  • Bingo!
« Reply #61 on: September 04, 2015, 10:14:44 pm »
BTW. I cant input views or gears using the G27 buttons in the FXTConfig.exe I have to put in numbers with the keybord. Its not really an issue for me but, mabye it has some relevance.

lolomc2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 14, 2016, 08:42:17 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #62 on: September 04, 2015, 11:17:20 pm »
Hi all,

My cab is finally up (and it is 5 a.m. here  :banghead: )

Howard, thank you again :
I had the same issue with menus, and the selector always going to the right and I can say that your fix (test version) is working for me.

SP mode is working but FFB does not seems to work really. I already registered the dll. It's so late that I do not remember if I restarted my computer after that. Let's try it now
EDIT : I tried to restart and FFB isn't working. Something is worng but what ?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 12:05:12 am by lolomc2 »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #63 on: September 05, 2015, 02:46:21 am »
BTW. I cant input views or gears using the G27 buttons in the FXTConfig.exe I have to put in numbers with the keybord. Its not really an issue for me but, mabye it has some relevance.

Does the g27 simulate keypresses or are you talking about joystick buttons?  If it simulates keypresses via the profiler then they aren't active unless the game is running.  If it's joystick buttons you need to put those in manually.  (I thought it was a bit much to add in directX code just for the config app). 

Boomslang

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2024, 08:20:43 pm
« Reply #64 on: September 05, 2015, 02:54:37 am »
funny enough I have 2 pcs with exactly the same hardware inside and wheels etc, exactly the same setup and 1 gets FFB with no issues while the other has no FFB at all

Ill perhaps uninstall everything and reinstall everything on the troublesome one again

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #65 on: September 05, 2015, 03:29:36 am »
Maybe a directX issue?  Aside from the dll I mentioned you need directX8.  Now DirectX is supposed to be compatible with older versions and legacy dlls are supposed to be installed automatically.... but I'm losing faith in M$ on this dept.  I actually use DX8 because it has really good force-feedback support, oh the irony. 

SailorSat

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:28:00 pm
    • For Amusement Only e.V.
« Reply #66 on: September 05, 2015, 03:44:25 am »
Maybe a directX issue?  Aside from the dll I mentioned you need directX8.  Now DirectX is supposed to be compatible with older versions and legacy dlls are supposed to be installed automatically.... but I'm losing faith in M$ on this dept.  I actually use DX8 because it has really good force-feedback support, oh the irony. 

At least you got FF to work at all :)
Last time I tried to write a FFB interface, it worked fine with my SideWinder Wheel, but not with any other wheel.
I do all that stuff even without a Joystick ;)
Soft-15kHz, cabMAME, For Amusement Only e.V.

terminator2k2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #67 on: September 05, 2015, 07:40:22 am »
the updated exe file works a treat, can now select car and audio track using the wheel.....

just need to get the pedals sorted and we have 1 sweet game there....

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #68 on: September 05, 2015, 12:30:47 pm »

Last time I tried to write a FFB interface, it worked fine with my SideWinder Wheel, but not with any other wheel.

It's been a colossal pain in the butt.  The main problem is you can check books, the internet, ect but only the most basic force-feedback tutorials are out there..... so I had to figure everything out myself over the course of several years.  I think the wheel industry is trying to keep their monopoly by withholding information required to run an interface properly.  If nobody can even write software then it's hard for clone wheels to pop-up. 

You are welcome to my source if it would help you out on one of your projects. 

FaithLes2425

• Offline Offline
  • Bingo!
« Reply #69 on: September 05, 2015, 01:47:38 pm »
Yes the test file seems to be working. No more problems in the menus. Thank you for that :-)
Setting the wheel to 180 does not help the ffb unfortunately.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #70 on: September 05, 2015, 02:47:12 pm »

The early ffb wheels like the sidewinder and original red logitech formula force had their own unique protocols and games would be coded for only one specific brand of wheel.  Those games won't work with modern wheels and modern wheels won't work with those games. I always recommend that people avoid them.

It's nice that things have been pretty standardized since then.  People with a brand new wheel can play old games with ffb. People with old wheels can play new games with ffb.  Only thing of note is that only the latest generation of logitech wheels respond to a simple rumble.

terminator2k2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #71 on: September 05, 2015, 03:13:55 pm »
just wandering, I know its a bit off topic, until howard sorts out the pedals, any one know how I could get my pedals working?

its a bit of a shame that I have to use the up and down keys...ive got a Logitech formula force pcb , attached to a l2m2 pcb, but I got no buttons with the wheel and when I go into the controller settings it asks me to press the select button on the wheel, which I don't have.

all I get with the acc pedal is the cursor in the menu just keeps going down until I press the acc pedal half way down , then it stops....blummin annoying this one.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #72 on: September 05, 2015, 04:08:23 pm »
just wandering, I know its a bit off topic, until howard sorts out the pedals, any one know how I could get my pedals working?

its a bit of a shame that I have to use the up and down keys...ive got a Logitech formula force pcb , attached to a l2m2 pcb, but I got no buttons with the wheel and when I go into the controller settings it asks me to press the select button on the wheel, which I don't have.

all I get with the acc pedal is the cursor in the menu just keeps going down until I press the acc pedal half way down , then it stops....blummin annoying this one.

Do you have the pedals marked combined in windows game controllers or Logitech profiler?
For this and a lot of older pc games, the game expects both gas and brake to be on one axis.

You also have the option of mapping the pedals to the arrow keys in Logitech profiler.
They wouldn't behave like analog controls, but it would still be better than trying to press arrows with your hand.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 04:10:20 pm by BadMouth »

lolomc2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 14, 2016, 08:42:17 am
« Reply #73 on: September 05, 2015, 04:13:35 pm »
@terminator2k2
According to Badmouth suggestion, I confirm that on my G25 software, there is one checkbox which define brake and gas on the same axis or not. I am not at home so I can not check which setting is but I had to change the default setting to get brake and accelerator working.

FaithLes2425

• Offline Offline
  • Bingo!
« Reply #74 on: September 05, 2015, 04:24:18 pm »
To: lolomc2
How is the FFB working out for you?

FaithLes2425

• Offline Offline
  • Bingo!
« Reply #75 on: September 05, 2015, 04:31:18 pm »

Does the g27 simulate keypresses or are you talking about joystick buttons?  If it simulates keypresses via the profiler then they aren't active unless the game is running.  If it's joystick buttons you need to put those in manually.  (I thought it was a bit much to add in directX code just for the config app).
Its Just joystick buttons :-)

Giddygoon

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2022, 04:13:04 am
« Reply #76 on: September 05, 2015, 05:10:19 pm »
Well I finally got ORFXT working...  My cab is running on Win XP and I was having trouble starting up the ORFXT Config without getting an error... I created a folder in the FXTConfig folder in texpacks called "original "

I installed the dill file too

But was still getting an error

Was feeling a bit defeated as I couldn't get into the Config when I then thought I would try right clicking on the ORFXT Config and selected compatibility mode to win95 and then the Config window popped up..... I was very pleased but on testing the game was still not jumping to Arcade mode

I then tried compatibility mode to win98 and then all the Config functions worked

Good work Howard

It truly is almost Arcade perfect !!

bandicoot

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 01:23:17 pm
« Reply #77 on: September 05, 2015, 05:14:31 pm »
For me with a l2m2 everything work ( for button no problème for me i wired button from logitech to my Daytona panel)
FFB is great but as i said weaker than model2 emulator for example , but all is working centering and effects are here
But if i disable centering , effects are stronger , and if i enable it centering is strong but effects are weak i try changing some tweak on ff.ini but perhaps i don't understand all
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 05:17:12 pm by bandicoot »

terminator2k2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #78 on: September 05, 2015, 06:20:10 pm »
ive found out why my pedals will not configure...

theres a button stuck on in the Logitech test menu (cntrl/shift + properties)

even though theres no buttons attatched :(

its skipping through the configuration part like your pressing a button constantly.

only found this out as I borrowed my bruvs Logitech wheel. (not the same as the 1 im using)

and tested again , and this time I actualy got to read what your supposed to do.

thought I was going crazy lol....well don't know how im going to sort that 1.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #79 on: September 05, 2015, 06:24:01 pm »
Well I finally got ORFXT working...  My cab is running on Win XP and I was having trouble starting up the ORFXT Config without getting an error... I created a folder in the FXTConfig folder in texpacks called "original "

I installed the dill file too

But was still getting an error

Was feeling a bit defeated as I couldn't get into the Config when I then thought I would try right clicking on the ORFXT Config and selected compatibility mode to win95 and then the Config window popped up..... I was very pleased but on testing the game was still not jumping to Arcade mode

I then tried compatibility mode to win98 and then all the Config functions worked

Good work Howard

It truly is almost Arcade perfect !!

I find that hilarious.  The code I used to give the menus their new look was supposed to be for XP styles.....I got it directly from M$  So of course it works for windows 7 and beyond.... just not xp.  ;)  Just for kicks, you might want to try running it as administrator.  If that doesn't work then I can put in some code that detects xp and disables the styles. 

bandicoot:  I made the effects rather weak on purpose.  The wheel I'm using isn't very strong so I was afraid if I cranked things up to where it was good on this wheel, the rumble on a g27 or what have you would rip your arm off.  Like I mentioned in an earlier post, you might want to try cranking up the global effects strength beyond 1... 2 would be 200% force, for example. 

Yeah the pedals are a pain in the butt.... I can't even get them configured like I want them on my end.  Hopefully I can fix the override when I get time.