Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Is there a way to have a vertical theme that works when windows vertical  (Read 2456 times)

monkeybomb

• PM me to find out how to get a custom title like mine!
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 03, 2018, 07:16:29 pm
I am trying to come up with a vertical theme that doesn't assume I am going to rotate the monitor without rotating the OS.  If I click vertical in MALA or a MALA theme in attract mode FE, then the theme turns 90 degrees even though it's already turned. By simply changing the windows display setting from landscape top portrait, everything is vertical including MAME games and MAME GUI. 

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2024, 09:54:06 am
Re: Is there a way to have a vertical theme that works when windows vertical
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 04:52:41 pm »
Why would you rotate the windows desktop?

MAME displays the games vertically just fine without rotating windows. 
The front-end displays a vertical version just fine without rotating windows.

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2021, 12:21:09 pm
  • Don't half-ass two things, whole-ass one thing.
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 05:10:33 pm »

+1    This is how Hyperspin does it too.
If you can read this, it means Photobucket's money grab ruined my signature photos.

monkeybomb

• PM me to find out how to get a custom title like mine!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 03, 2018, 07:16:29 pm
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 09:33:04 pm »

To each his own there.  You probably did a better job getting everything set up before mounting the monitor.  I had a party last Saturday and rushed to get the cabinet together, even without a pretty front end.  So if I leave the front end to use the options menu of the FE or encoder or windows, the screen is sideways.  The mouse is easier to use as well.  The solution is just to rotate when I need to and go right back.  When the cabinet is totally set up this shouldn't need to happen anyway.

For me, MAME displays the game correctly when windows is rotated 90 degrees, but it displays sideways when all I do is rotate the monitor. I couldn't figure out how to set video defaults from the in game menu like you can for the controls and changing each game one at a time was a poor solution. But I remembered I could set the rotation as the default in MAMEUI64.  I forgot I could do that. I also still want to call it mame 32, but time does march on.

Correct, but because the themes are created sideways and we can set MAME to run sideways as well.  IMO simply rotating the whole computer with 2 clicks on the desktop is easier.   I haven't tried vectrex yet.  I hope it rotates like mame does.

But of this is a big deal, after I was able to set the default video option in MAME 32 Mameui64.

+1    This is how Hyperspin does it too.

As for Hyperspin, I never did find Jeepguy80's cocktail set on the main site or the ftp site.  It's not a choice in the cool new sync system either.  On a different note, I did disable the animated joystick and blinky "free play" on my horizontal HS setup.  I like HS way better than I did before you told me I could get rid of those.  Thank you on that one for sure.

raph

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 11, 2022, 11:42:35 pm
  • Gradually adding bells and whistles to a stock cab
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 12:57:32 am »
I haven't tried vectrex yet.  I hope it rotates like mame does.

ParaJVE has rotation options like MAME.

jaharr01

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 27, 2020, 06:28:16 am
  • Try and fail, but don't fail to try
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2015, 10:34:41 am »
What I did was set up a horizontal theme in Mala in the resolution of my portrait mode like 920x1280 works fine that way

Jay