Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: My First Upright Arcade Build  (Read 3253 times)

skyegreen42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2017, 07:42:32 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
My First Upright Arcade Build
« on: August 30, 2015, 05:59:30 pm »
Hey guys! I've been looking on these forums for awhile, and I finally decided to build a Mame cabinet! I designed everything from scratch! The design was pretty similar to the Neo Geo, so i'm going make it a Neo Geo style cabinet. Everything is made from scratch (except for the screen, buttons, and computer obviously XD). So far I have the sides cut out, and i'm hopefully going to build the frame soon.

The painting process should be simple. Just prime, then spray-paint. Then apply the vinyl neo geo logo! Then I would hook up the controls, then fit the computer in the frame.

The screen is a 17 inch Dell LCD monitor. It may seem small, but its a great size! Also, I will hopefully use tinted plexiglass on it! :)

Just two questions:

1. Would tinted plexiglass work?
2.Would these controls work? http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Player-USB-mame-arcade-parts-kit-includes-2-joysticks-16-Happ-buttons-/171068993508?hash=item27d481afe4

That's all for now! I'll post pictures later :)

stavros693000

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 14, 2022, 05:33:15 pm
  • I built my own arcade machine
Re: My First Upright Arcade Build
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 02:19:36 am »
hi there and welcome to the forum.
THOSE CONTROLS WILL DO NICELY for your first build...I havnt tried those usb control interface yet but I did buy a couple to try out with my raspberry pi2 set up, but ive heard good things about them, but my personal preference is I-pac, but that's just me. And yes tinted or smoked plexi is perfect for a mame build....clear plexi is ok but it scratches easy and the smoked will give off less glare........hope this helps
good luck with your build and I look forward to see some progress pics

cheers stavros :cheers:
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 02:22:10 am by stavros693000 »
my first build classic style upright cabinet..... MARVELOUS FIGHTER (FINISHED) http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,133066.0.html

skyegreen42

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 11:54:42 am »
Haha... I haven’t updated this post in like, what, 2 years? Crazy right? Anyways, I’m doing more work on the cabinet again. Actually, I finished the frame of the cabinet, I just have a few more pieces to install. I’m still going for a Neo Geo look, because that’s still my favorite arcade cabinet.

Also, I installed one of those NEC 21” 4:3 monitors and it looks great! Since there was a 2 year gap between when I started and now, I updated Hyperspin and Mame. Unfortunately the new version of Mame stutters on the hardware I’m using... I’m gonna try to optimize it though. I’m also gonna install an SSD inside of the computer inside the cabinet.

I’ll update this post with pictures later! I’ll also try to avoid another 2 year gap without updates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skyegreen42

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2017, 07:39:12 pm »
Here are the images. I have no clue why the images are flipped. More updates this week!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 07:41:48 pm by skyegreen42 »

Richie_jones

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 10, 2024, 02:04:21 pm
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 03:51:55 pm »
Nice job, what plans do you have for artwork etc

lcmgadgets

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2023, 01:46:12 pm
  • Can u guess what game this image is from?
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 11:20:40 pm »
Thats looking very nice
"Godzilla is a warning. A warning to each and every one of us. When mankind falls into conflict with nature, monsters are born."
Professor Hayashida

skyegreen42

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2017, 10:15:40 pm »
Smaller update for today- I brought the cabinet outside. It’s ready for me to put the final pieces in. Hopefully by this weekend I can begin to prime. I also need to finish making the side art and the art for the CP.

skyegreen42

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2017, 10:18:50 pm »
Nice job, what plans do you have for artwork etc
I’m going to try to make it look like a Neo-Geo cabinet. However I’m probably gonna need to modify the side art because the cabinet is slimmer than an actual Neo-Geo. I’ll post the (hopefully) final art tomorrow!