Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: mounting a 21" crt monitor  (Read 4221 times)

katuuuz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 12, 2016, 09:39:44 pm
  • U, U, D, D, L, R, L, R, B, A, Select, Start
mounting a 21" crt monitor
« on: August 28, 2015, 03:51:23 pm »
Hey guys getting started on wood working Monday.  I'm going to take the case off my 21" Viewsonic CRT monitor and discharge it.  If I survive, I was wondering the best way to mount it within the walls of my cab.  Its about 60lbs and MDF isn't the strongest material.  Any ideas or threads anyone can point me to?  I remember stumbling upon one a few weeks ago but can't find it.

n3wt0n

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 27, 2024, 05:03:38 pm
Re: mounting a 21" crt monitor
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2015, 05:37:07 am »
I am using a 21" Viewsonic CRT as well. I'm not sure if it is the same model but I only partially decased it. I left the round bottom that sits on the table on it so when I put it down it still had something to sit on. It meant I didn't have to detach the board from the rest of the monitor and remount it either. I am thinking of redoing mine a bit differently - more like the true arcade monitors are mounted in cages but I'm not sure it is possible. Please share some pics, I would like to see how you make out.

Alejo I

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 04:27:20 pm
  • Trying something new
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 04:52:36 pm »
Funny, I'm currently planning my first cabinet using a 21" Dell CRT with a Trinitron tube.

As for the MDF, I don't think you should have any issues providing the support base is properly reinforced and you are using 16 mm thick panels. MDF is rutinely used for furniture over Europe; it's way more resistant than it looks and it will last pretty much forever as long as you don't disassemble it. Make sure to use some decent wooden planks (pine should work nicely) so you can screw the monitor's MDF shelve to it in the proper angle using some timber connectors. If you are still unsure about the capacity of your MDF shelve to hold the monitor (it shouldn't be a problem, really), try using some extra beam/s running down to the base of the cabinet itself for extra support, either screwed to the sides or in central position. Of course, the monitor should have some proper support at the back so it doesn't slide over if you plan to set it at an angle.

Either way, I wouldn't recommend decasing your monitor in full. It's really dangerous and probably not necessary at all. Unlike TVs, which are often protected by HUGE plastic cases, computer monitors are relatively tightly fit and there's little space to gain from leaving the tube in the open if you are concerned with the dept of your cabinet. Check this link for some pictures of a partly decased Dell monitor to see what I mean. I'd also recommend to look for the service manual of your monitor so you can get a more detailed view at it before taking it apart. This is how I learned that my monitor is fixed to its tilting base using a single screw.

With this knowledge, I plan to remove the tilting base and screw the monitor itself to the MDF shelve, which will be set at a proper angle.

Try to see if your monitor uses a similar stand. I think it could simplify things quite a bit.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 11:03:32 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 06:18:46 pm »
I've decased four Dells completely and used them in builds. It's no more dangerous than using a regular arcade monitor if you are careful and understand what you are doing.   :dunno
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Alejo I

• Offline Offline
  • Trying something new
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2015, 07:45:26 pm »
I've decased four Dells completely and used them in builds. It's no more dangerous than using a regular arcade monitor if you are careful and understand what you are doing.   :dunno
Which is clearly not the case for many of us  ;D

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 11:03:32 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2015, 08:01:25 pm »
Which is clearly not the case for many of us  ;D
Yeah, but we all have to start somewhere, don't we? :cheers:
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Alejo I

• Offline Offline
  • Trying something new
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2015, 10:16:20 am »
I just discovered markc74's magnificent Blip build. He used a 25" TV as monitor, but you can easily copy the way he mounted it.

It's simple, but it looks like a very robust build. I will definitely follow his steps for my cabinet.

DirkHell

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 14, 2015, 03:29:47 pm
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2015, 03:10:52 pm »
Hi,
I mounted my monitor into a bicycle wheel. A added perforated plate as seen in my little blog about my build from 2009 http://daddelraum.blogspot.de/search/label/Project%20Arcade
I added a support at the back of the monitor. I made this because I want to turn the monitor from portrai to landscape for the different games.
and

regards, Dirk and Happy Xmas

AtariMaster

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 02, 2020, 09:53:04 pm
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2015, 12:26:34 am »
I just picked up a ViewSonic G810 21" CRT at Salvation Army for $9.99. I just took the case off today and will be planning a way to mount it. I'd like to use the bezel but its over 4" thick and will need to be cut down and painted.