Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Anyone have the pinout for a Happ Rotary/Optical?  (Read 1365 times)

Zakk

• Gosh, that's a real nice... ooh look, a penny! -- That Zakk is Just Mean
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:42:27 pm
Anyone have the pinout for a Happ Rotary/Optical?
« on: January 05, 2004, 10:24:31 pm »
Happ part number 50-5619-00, I'm about to wire it up to an opti-pac, and am just wondering if anyone has the pinouts for that optical board?  They didn't come with them, and the 5V isn't marked on the board...I did a quick search on here but found only a lot of reference to the rotary interface sticks.  Also, any insight be anyone that has used these sticks?  Seems prettty simple, but I see something about analog+ so geez, I gott read something... ;) and I thought this would be easy  :o

Also, if there is already a thread on this that I am just too dense to see, just point me in the right direction, and I'll shuffle along... thanks in advance y'all!
Back for nostalgia, based on nostalgia.

OSCAR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 06, 2018, 11:31:53 pm
  • I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem...
    • Oscar Controls
Re:Anyone have the pinout for a Happ Rotary/Optical?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2004, 10:35:18 pm »
Same optic board as used on the trackballs, however the pin header appears to be on the side opposite of the optics per the exploded view.

http://www.happcontrols.com/faqs/faq_trackballs.html

Zakk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2004, 10:46:10 pm »
That's what's got me confused... The optic board on my stick is exatcly like the one one the trackball, with the connector on the same side as the optics... but it's revision C while the TB board is revision J.  I'm assuming I can blow these little guys up wiing it wrong?  :o

And while you're here, how the hell do you do such a clean job on getting the little wires into the red and white connectors?  I swear it would be easier to just solder straight to the board sometimes  ;D

OSCAR

• Offline Offline
    • Oscar Controls
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2004, 10:53:24 pm »
That's what's got me confused... The optic board on my stick is exatcly like the one one the trackball, with the connector on the same side as the optics... but it's revision C while the TB board is revision J.  I'm assuming I can blow these little guys up wiing it wrong?  :o

Look closer at the optic board and you will probably see that it says "PCB Rev C" along one edge, and then it also says "Optic Sensor Rev J" along another edge.  That's how the boards I have look.  Same pinout as a trackball, don't worry.

And while you're here, how the hell do you do such a clean job on getting the little wires into the red and white connectors?  I swear it would be easier to just solder straight to the board sometimes  ;D

Practice.  I've done a couple of them.  :)

Seriously, a small flat head screwdriver like a jewelers works great.

Zakk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2004, 11:08:51 pm »
 :-[

Heh, you're right!  Still, they should just start buying nice easy to read boards from you.  

And as for that jewelers screwdriver, suuuuure...I know you have a sweat shop full of 5 year old Haitians putting those connectors together for you...their fingers are so tiny!

Thanks again, hey can one of these be run off the same connection as say player one optic connection that your spinner is on?  Or is there a better way of wiring it.  I'd take this to e-mail but it might help someone else.  I was going to wire say X1 X2 to the spinner, and the Y1 Y2 to the joystick... will that work?

Oh, and I should say the Vortex worked perf first time, as always, I'm just stuck on these damn sticks...this panel will have to go on your installation page, it's worked out well!
http://www.mameworld.net/massive/Cabinet/Zeldamame/progress1.JPG

oops, can't see the spinner in that shot!  >:(

OSCAR

• Offline Offline
    • Oscar Controls
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2004, 11:17:53 pm »

Thanks again, hey can one of these be run off the same connection as say player one optic connection that your spinner is on?  Or is there a better way of wiring it.  I'd take this to e-mail but it might help someone else.  I was going to wire say X1 X2 to the spinner, and the Y1 Y2 to the joystick... will that work?

That should work just fine.  But you will have to use Analog+ to assign the axes properly.  Be sure to get the power for each board separately from each of the middle pins in the 3-pin headers, don't try to splice the power wires together and run from just one of the middle pins, there will be too much voltage drop.  The GND wires can be spliced together.

Oh, and I should say the Vortex worked perf first time, as always, I'm just stuck on these damn sticks...this panel will have to go on your installation page, it's worked out well!
http://www.mameworld.net/massive/Cabinet/Zeldamame/progress1.JPG

oops, can't see the spinner in that shot!  >:(

Nice looking panel!  It appears to have the flu, though, puking out wires.  :)

Send a good pic to me for the Installations page when you get a chance.