Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Sega Nomad Mod?  (Read 4501 times)

grippie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 10, 2022, 03:07:35 pm
  • Genesis Does
    • Optimus Meatron
Sega Nomad Mod?
« on: August 23, 2015, 08:51:23 pm »
I'm loving these OG gameboy hacks but would rather have internal batteries. I saw one instructable that had an internal battery but they used a Pi A+. I'm torn in trying to modify an old gameboy using a Pi A+ (it's a little lower clock and has less ram but i'm only looking for two button style games like gba/nes/sms and mame games like rastan and shinobi, should be able to handle it fine)

Here's my thinking though. I found my old sega nomad (portable sega genesis) This thing is huge and has 6 buttons. Plenty of space for a Pi 2.Think i would be able to hack this as easy as a gameboy? I'll have to pop it open tonight and see what the pcb's look like. The screen has a crazy angle on the bezel, but i'll probably cut that out for a bigger screen.

These battery packs are gigantic. i have the rechargeable one as well as the AAA version. I can probably just get rid of them and put internal batteries.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 01:15:07 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
Re: Sega Nomad Mod?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2015, 09:40:11 pm »
awww man, sell me the nomad!
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 12:41:11 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2015, 10:19:15 pm »
Yeah, if it works, don't hack it.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

grippie

• Offline Offline
  • Genesis Does
    • Optimus Meatron
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 08:14:23 am »
Yea that was one of the reservations of cracking it open. The plastic on the protective screen has the typical microscratches you get on plastic that aren't visible when playing, but otherwise works perfectly. I couldn't find my sega power pack to charger her up last night but i'll try and see if i can find it tonight.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 01:15:07 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 08:30:59 am »
grippie I have a 3D printer. Find me a 3D file of the case you want printed and we can do it in trade.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

grippie

• Offline Offline
  • Genesis Does
    • Optimus Meatron
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 03:10:15 pm »
Nice. I actually looked at sourcing 3D printing locally and it wasn't really that bad. We have a 3D printer at work, but it's running 24/7. I am a CAD manager so I have a lot of experience modeling 3D geometry. I downloaded the PiGrrl models from adafruit and they are pretty cool however i want 4 buttons and not 2 so that i can add SNES and Genesis games.

I was going to modify their design to add in the other 2 buttons but realized that their design is for the Pi model B. The original that has the separate audio jack and power. I'm currently redesigning it so that it fits the new board style. I'll hit you up when i'm finished.