Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Glitch in the Matrix ??? !!!  (Read 19986 times)

Xiaou2

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 12, 2023, 05:41:19 pm
  • NOM NOM NOM
Glitch in the Matrix ??? !!!
« on: August 23, 2015, 01:34:50 am »
Ok, I saw this tonight, and Im sort of freaking out...

According to searches online... 

It was always  "Berenstain Bears"  -   not  -  "Berenstein"

I vividly remember otherwise:

And here,  its supposedly  "Interview with THE vampire"..  vs .. "Interview with A vampire"

I remember this even more vividly.  In fact, when I saw the Bluray in a local store more recently.. I balked at what I thought was an official name change:

The question then stands... Has our timeline been distorted?   Or is this some elaborate hoax?

Its easy enough to change digital media these days.   Its bad enough that a lot of printed media has been altered...  but thats at least far more difficult to do.   Yet, there are a lot of inconsistencies in the evidence that people are finding...  which seems like foul play.

Another guy whos a Starwars superfan & vocal impersonator.. claims there is changes in the lines in the movie, from:

"Luke.... I... am your Father!"   -  which is now     "No, I am your Father."

This really is blowing my mind.

Thoughts?   What are your memories?

others are noting:

Sex in the city  - vs -  sex and the city   (not a fan, but i saw a few eps..  and recall "in")
 Tiananmen Square - lone guy wasnt ran over by a tank?!  (I remember otherwise)

Mr. Rogers:  "Its a beautiful day in THIS neighborhood?" / "Its a beautiful Day in THE Neighborhood"  (i recall The)

TV show name:  Ghost Hunters  - vs-  TAPS
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 09:57:36 am by Xiaou2 »

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:43:52 pm
Re: Glitch in the Matrix ??? !!!
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2015, 08:16:13 am »
Meh, I don't remember the bears well enough, but it seems likely to me that people would remember it wrong based on how common names ending in stein are.  Human memory isn't all that reliable.  Even seeing the story about it could trigger some people to remember it wrong.

It's always been Interview With The Vampire to me.  I even vaguely remember emphasizing THE as a lark.

harveybirdman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2024, 12:40:25 pm
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2015, 10:24:57 am »
I misremeber all the time.  I was sure that Peter Jackson didn't kill the appropriate number of dwarves at the end of the hobbit only to go back to the book to find out the truth.

I misquote movies so much that I'm disappointed when I go back to watch them later and realize what I've been saying is wrong.

Also I was just sure Jonathan Silverman was in a movie where he dressed as a girl to take a women's studies class in your typical 80's gender swap movie where he made a moving speech about Emily Dickinson and the important difference between men and women. ...  according to IMDB no such movie exists.

:dunno

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2015, 05:05:24 pm »
Im not going to say my memory is great...   But there are certain images and sounds burned into my brain.  Certain things I know with all of my being... that never existed before.

It seems Im far from alone.  Theres a ton of people posting about what they are calling  "The Mandela Effect".   A lot of convincing arguments.. such as people having the same Birthday as some event that they associated with because of it... and then one year more recently... find out that said event never happened that day.   Even though their Entire life has that memory.. and its associated with a Pivotal non-forgettable date.

Slippyblade

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2015, 06:22:19 pm »
There's no such thing as a "non-forgettable date".  Human memory is one of the least reliable sources of information available.  It is easily modified, easily broken.  There is a reason memory is not admissible as data to a scientist.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 11:03:32 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2015, 06:53:20 pm »
It was always Sex And The City and no, that guy never got run over.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2015, 10:01:53 pm »
If there was some sort of distortions...  Im not so sure that one cant simply say  "It was always this.. "...

I mean... theoretically, if you were transported into a different parallel reality...  How would you or anyone know?

In this sense,  both parties could be right.   Each right for their own reality..  yet,  one not being right now.. in the now differing reality.
(Meaning that some may have jumped.. others may have stayed...  and possibly from multiple realms)

Im surprised at the lack of responses.    There are pages upon pages in certain places...  and the responses are very opposing.

I just asked a younger friend of mine about the bears & vampires...   and I got:   "Stein"   &   "Interview with THE"

There are theories about how Cerns activities are possibly causing some sort of distortion effects.

Ive also a  theory that this was done via a computer program, designed to alter & re-package data.. as a means of control & Censorship.   

This is a bit of a reach,  because people are claiming physical evidence.   I cant really discount what Ive read, unless I too had a physical copy of something I disputed.    On the other hand... theres also evidence that suggest opposing evidence..  yet, either could be faked..

In any event... the shear number of people remembering the bears as Stein, with instant and deep certainty... is quite profound.

Interview is an interesting one... because I recall a different artwork set altogether.   I never recall seeing  "The Vampire Chronicles"  on it either.     When seeing the recent bluray on the shelf... I scoffed at what I thought was some studio change.  I didnt hear about the Mandela effect until just the other day.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2015, 10:22:07 pm »
I'll huff whatever you're huffing, X2!  :cheers:

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2015, 09:59:50 am »
In any event... the shear number of people remembering the bears as Stein, with instant and deep certainty... is quite profound.

...because that's the logical spelling.  "stain" isn't the logical spelling unless you've known someone with a name spelled like that.  Names ending in "stein" are so common they're ubiquitous, so your brain assumes it was spelled stein.

It's a logic thing with THE Vampire too.  Why the hell would it have been called THE Vampire when there were multiple vampires?  The logical thing would have been to name it Interview with A Vampire, but she didn't. 

That's my take on it anyway.

It's fun to entertain the thought of a glitch in the matrix, but reality is reality.
Only your perception of it changes.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 10:49:06 am by BadMouth »

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:41:31 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2015, 10:09:00 am »
A lot of these things are further complicated by multiple versions floating around out there.  It's entirely possible that some of the publicity (advertisements, trailers, spoken interviews) had "with THE vampire."  A lot of times when you hear someone going, "hurr, durr, people are stupid, that line is never actually in that movie" it turns out it was actually in some earlier version or a trailer.  I recall Fellowship of the Ring had a few of those - "fly/flee you, fools!"  Or all of the slight variations in the dialogue in the million versions of Bladerunner.

The Berenstain Bears one is definitely vexing to me, though.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2015, 11:03:42 am »
A lot of these things are further complicated by multiple versions floating around out there.  It's entirely possible that some of the publicity (advertisements, trailers, spoken interviews) had "with THE vampire."  A lot of times when you hear someone going, "hurr, durr, people are stupid, that line is never actually in that movie" it turns out it was actually in some earlier version or a trailer.  I recall Fellowship of the Ring had a few of those - "fly/flee you, fools!"  Or all of the slight variations in the dialogue in the million versions of Bladerunner.

The Berenstain Bears one is definitely vexing to me, though.

I'm sure it's because every time I heard it pronounced, even on the TV specials, it was pronounced as "Stein". No sinister stuff happening in the background. Stuff gets misquoted all the time. Bogart never said "Play it again, Sam". The line is "Play it, Sam", and Lauren Bacall says it. But people will insist it was the other way around. Stuff like this has been happening well before CERN or anything else.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2015, 11:28:59 am »
Stuff gets misquoted all the time. Bogart never said "Play it again, Sam". The line is "Play it, Sam", and Lauren Bacall says it. But people will insist it was the other way around.

This is what I call "foil in the microwave" which is defined as "something everyone already knows, but someone will be compelled to repeat it any time the topic is broached."  Next time you're at a gathering, and there's leftovers, and someone packs them up in anything resembling metal to take home just watch.  Someone will be compelled to say something along the lines of, "just be sure you don't put this in the microwave." As if they're magical and mysterious devices we all haven't been using for 50 years.

Then again, I know someone that did indeed set a microwave on fire with foil wrapped leftovers... and she runs nuclear reactors on battleships now....

But literally everyone knows that Bogart doesn't say "play it again, Sam." 

Let it go.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2015, 11:30:15 am »
Stuff gets misquoted all the time. Bogart never said "Play it again, Sam". The line is "Play it, Sam", and Lauren Bacall says it. But people will insist it was the other way around.

This is what I call "foil in the microwave" which is defined as "something everyone already knows, but someone will be compelled to repeat it any time the topic is broached."  Next time you're at a gathering, and there's leftovers, and someone packs them up in anything resembling metal to take home just watch.  Someone will be compelled to say something along the lines of, "just be sure you don't put this in the microwave." As if they're magical and mysterious devices we all haven't been using for 50 years.

Then again, I know someone that did indeed set a microwave on fire with foil wrapped leftovers... and she runs nuclear reactors on battleships now....

But literally everyone knows that Bogart doesn't say "play it again, Sam." 

Let it go.
That's a lot of typing just to prove that PBJ Gotta PBJ.

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 08, 2023, 02:40:58 pm
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2015, 03:47:08 pm »

It has always been the latter. The former is the popular misquote.

And here,  its supposedly  "Interview with THE vampire"..  vs .. "Interview with A vampire"

Which both sound the same when spoken quickly. A simple mistake.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 03:48:40 pm by Ginsu Victim »

Grasshopper

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 08, 2023, 07:20:31 am
  • life, don't talk to me about life
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2015, 06:51:56 pm »
Bogart never said "Play it again, Sam". The line is "Play it, Sam", and Lauren Bacall says it. But people will insist it was the other way around.

Actually, I'm pretty sure it was said by Ingrid Bergman.

Lauren Bacall wasn't even in the film. Unless that's another glitch in the matrix...
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel." - Samuel Johnson

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2015, 06:52:40 pm »
Bogart never said "Play it again, Sam". The line is "Play it, Sam", and Lauren Bacall says it. But people will insist it was the other way around.

Actually, I'm pretty sure it was said by Ingrid Bergman.

Lauren Bacall wasn't even in the film. Unless that's another glitch in the matrix...
Hahaha.... good call! :cheers:

SavannahLion

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2015, 02:28:15 am
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2015, 07:58:02 pm »

It has always been the latter. The former is the popular misquote.

Given that that ass, Lucas, changed Star Wars so many damn times, I wouldn't doubt there is a version out there where that phrase really is uttered.

ray_slup

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2020, 11:12:38 am
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2015, 12:32:53 am »
people remember it from tommy boy

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2015, 12:39:31 am »

Nobody wants to play Devils Advocate?   Conspiracy Theorist?

So, heres the scary details...  Cern is putting something like the power of a Sun,  into particles moving at nearly the speed of light.   The magnetic fields alone,  are incredible strong to be able to do this...  and theres no telling what that effect is either.

Supposedly, they are trying to find out what the Glue is that hold the Universe together.

One guy states that on the other side of our Physical Realm... is Anti-Matter.   Highly unstable.. and pure Chaos.   Bringing small amounts into this realm.. has caused major problems in the past supposedly.   But they think they can find a way to contain and use this material.

In order to do so... they have to break through the "Vail".   The shield that protects our Ordered universe... from the Chaos side of things.

Some have speculated that Black holes could be generated.   
 Some have said that certain kind of particles that are massively heavy could sink into the earths core, and freeze it.

I believe Cern itself has stated that they are trying to make some sort of Portal into another Dimension.

They even have strange videos of creepy dancing and esoteric symbolism.   As well as a giant Sheeva statue (God of Destruction) on their Lawn.

There really is no telling what the heck could happen.   They are gambling with the entire planet.

Now... as for the mental stuff.. Yeah, I get it.  There are some things that I do not feel all that sure about.  However, certain things are Burned into my mind.   Part of this is because im extremely visual.  I remember the Stein like it was opened up just yesterday.  I also vividly recall "A" vampire.   Not just the sound of it... the actual Look of it.

Yes, according to this Timeline... I am incorrect on many details...   However, in general, Ive not been mistaken so many times on such things.
Also, its not provable that I wasnt from another timeline... as far as I know.

Ive asked a few other people today.  Got the same instant resounding Stein on the bear,  and the A on the Vampire.   A bunch of other things incorrect as well.

The shock level is quite intense.   You get the "Your Joking... Right? " face.

- We have to realize.. how far we have come.   From mere Radios... to Black and White TVs..   To Tvs that are razor thin and flexible.   From the Abacus... to Computers that took up an entire few rooms... to PC power that people wear on their wrists.

If someone were to be told of the Future from today... to a mere 200 years ago... (or less)   Many would have snickered ... or worse, locked you up in some Looney Bin.

But these days... we are talking a whole new level of scary.  Stuff that makes the very universe tick.   One wrong move.. could set off major consequences.

Do consider,  that IF this did happen... its possible that only some people were teleported (or swapped).   Which is why some may always remember something in an exact opposing perspective.   In fact... its possible that many people from many different periods of time or alternate universes... have jumped.  The extend of such a problem is unknown... un provable ?   and downright scary.

The thing is... they keep upping the power levels...  which could lead to greater and greater distortions.
If not a complete and utter breakdown of physical reality.

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2015, 12:58:59 am »
Rippped from:   http://mandelaeffect.com/major-memories

MAJOR MEMORIES

*51 or 52 United States — The “extras” are usually Puerto Rico and the District of Columbia, neither of which are actually states. (Puerto Rico is a territory. DC is a district.)

*Adam’s Bridge (also Ram Setu, Rama Setu, Setubandhanam, and other names) – Some recall it fully above sea level in the mid-late 20th century, while historical records (in this timestream) say it was partially submerged — due to a cyclone — in the late 15th century.  (ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam%27s_Bridge )

Agatha Christie – Never found after her 1926 disappearance? (In this timestream, she turned up 10 days later, but never explained. Ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agatha_Christie#Disappearance )

9/11 – Did it happen on 9/11, as most people remember, or on 9/10, as some recall?

Abraham Lincoln – Alternate death. Alternate death date of son, Tad, as well.

Barbara or Barbra Streisand?

*Berenstain Bears or Berenstein Bears – Simple confusion or did the spelling change, between realities? (Still one of the most popular topics at this website.)

*Berenstein Bears live action movie. Does anyone recall it, or seeing a preview for it? See comment at Berenstein Bears article, for details.

Betty White – Alive, well, and still feisty at age 93 in March 2015. Some recall her passing.

“Big” (the movie) – Alternate ending.

Billy Graham’s funeral on TV.

Brian Dennehy – Alive and well, per Wikipedia, but a couple of us have other memories.

Brian Williams’ memories – A high-profile example of Mandela Effect, a blunder, or something else??

The Candidate, or The Campaign — One movie, one and a remake, two movies, or now three… and did the title change?

*Challenger shuttle explosion date? 1984, 1985, or 1986? Winter or another time of year? (Per Wikipedia, 28 Jan 1986.)

*Charles Schulz or Schultz? (Creator of Peanuts comics and TV shows including Charlie Brown, Lucy, Snoopy, etc.) The correct spelling in this timestream is Schulz. ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_M._Schulz )

Charles Spencer, 9th Earl Spencer – Several people have (privately) reported a memory of his recent death. Wikipedia says still alive.

Charlie Brown Halloween Special (“It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown”) – Alternate ending? Did the Great Pumpkin appear… or not? (Current version shows Linus fainting because he mistakes a shadow of Snoopy for the Great Pumpkin, but the Great Pumpkin never makes an appearance. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It%27s_the_Great_Pumpkin,_Charlie_Brown )

Cinderella – Alternate central character or characters in the classic story or Disney re-telling?

Colors – Chartreuse is remembered as something other than yellow-green. Other colors in question include violet (blue-purple or red-purple?) and puce (dark red or purple-brown color, but many recall it as green).

David Soul’s death.

*Definitely or definately? Apparently, it’s the most misspelled word in the English language, but where did “definately” come from and why do people remember being taught that spelling in school…?

Dettox or Dettol? English cleaning product that changed names… but when and how often?

Dick Clark’s death… at least two of them. (Per Wikipedia, he died in April 2012.)

Dick Van Patten – Died prior to his June 2015 death in this timestream?

Dilemma or dilemna? A lot of people seem to recall the latter (the version with an N), but — in this timestream — it looks like that was never the correct spelling.

Disney World – Some people remember entering the Magic Kingdom through the castle. A second, alternate memory: Everything else matched the current timestream, but the castle was much closer to the end of Main Street. (At Disney World, not Disneyland.)

*Disney World – Some people recall taking a monorail from the Orlando airport directly to the Disney World property. The Orlando airport has a train, not a monorail, and it doesn’t take people to Disney World.

Disney World – A separate theme park in the Orlando (Florida) area. Maybe intended as a beta test site for attraction concepts? It’s not an abandoned park or project, and it’s much smaller (in acreage) than the main WDW property.  Two main areas: (1) The theme park, and (2) one crescent-shaped building with shops and restaurants, plus one larger hotel on the other side of it. Generally, the theme park attractions are multi-level. (Note: Not confused with Universal Studios’ theme parks.)

Dom DeLuise’s death.  (He died in 2009, but that’s not the only memory people have.)

*Duggars – Was the show (briefly) “21 Kids and Counting”?

Empire State Building — The belief that there are no real, unobstructed photos of the entire building, taken at ground level or near ground level, showing the entire building in a single frame.

Ernest Borgnine’s death, years before it happened in 2012.

Fidel Castro – Still alive (per Wikipedia) in early 2015, but some recall a 2011 death, as well as some sensational reminiscing by female media personalities, describing Castro as a 20th-century Casanova.

Fred Rogers (aka Mister Rogers) – When did he die? Multiple (in confidence) reports that he was still alive after his 2003 death in this timestream.

*Fred Rogers’ song, “Won’t You Be My Neighbor” – Is the opening line “It’s a beautiful day in the neighborhood” or “It’s a beautiful day in this neighborhood”? (It’s “this.” See http://www.neighborhoodarchive.com/music/songs/wont_you_be_my_neighbor.html and https://youtu.be/zMUGJZrR9Jg.)

Freddie Prinze — Several memories, mostly related to Freddy, Junior, and Sarah Michelle Gellar, and a child born around 2003 or 2004.

*Fruit Loops or Froot Loops? Which spelling do you recall?

Games for PS 1, etc. that, apparently, never existed. Reports from people who clearly remember owning them and playing the games (now gone, since they were for much older systems) but find no records of those games, even on nostalgia sites, past eBay auctions, etc.

Geography — Locations and sizes of New Zealand.  Locations of Australia, Honduras, Japan, Manchuria, and more.

*Ghost Hunters TV show — Some remember the earliest show name as TAPS, not Ghost Hunters. (We know the team is called TAPS, in real life, and some of their gear has always said that.)

Hal Holbrook – Born 1925, and still alive in January 2015. His late wife, Dixie Carter, passed away in 2010. Several remember Mr. Holbrook’s own memorials prior to 2010.

Hand gestures in movies – Do you recall different hand gestures in movies? For example, a more elaborate hand gesture by Antonio Banderas, with a candle, in Interview with the Vampire?  See the YouTube clip from the movie, around the 2:03 point. I’m looking for specific descriptions of the alternate gesture.

Helen Thomas (1920 – 2013), former White House reporter  – A different death year?

Henry VIII — Famous portrait of him holding a turkey leg?  Reports that it’s not in this timestream.

Henry Ford – Died from cerebral hemorrhage or something else?

Henry Winkler / Fonzie — Two people (in confidence) have, independently, talked about Henry Winkler’s death during the filming of Happy Days.  They recall the show episode created to explain that Fonzie had died, possibly in a motorcycle accident. (Since then, several people have posted about his death in public comments, too, with no prompting at this page.)

*Home Depot (DIY store) – Was the store name always “The Home Depot,” or just “Home Depot”?

Houston family (Whitney’s) – Conflicting memories about her children, after Whitney’s death? (Before Bobbi Kristina’s 2015 tragic death.)

Independence Day (movie) — Characters now missing from a major scene? (This has been reported privately, twice, and we’re looking for confirmation from others.)

*Interview with a Vampire, or Interview with the Vampire? Conflicting evidence.

Jack Palance — An earlier death date than what’s in the current timestream.

Jayne Meadows Allen — Died 2015 or much earlier? (She was an actress, and widow of comedian Steve Allen.)

Jerry Lewis – Remembered death late in 2013 or early 2014. Still alive in Oct 2014. (Different from Jerry Lee Lewis, the colorful singer/songwriter.)

*Jif Peanut Butter – Or was it first “Jiffy” peanut butter?

*Jim Henson – Died of complications from a strep infection, or from cancer?  (In this timestream, it was the former, initially reported as walking pneumonia. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Henson#Illness_and_death )

Jimmy Swaggart — Report dead, but still alive as of July 2012.

John Lennon — Date of death is 8 Dec 1980, but some have clear memories of a different date.

John Lennon & Yoko Ono – Location of 1969 “bed-in for peace.”  (If you remember this, note the location before checking Wikipedia for the details.)

Jurassic Park – Original movie: missing scene?

Justice League – Character differences. Check the characters you’re remembering and see if one is missing. (This is from private comments, and it’s as much as I’m ready to say, unless others remember the alternates.)

K-PAX (movie) – Starred Kevin Spacey or Nicholas Cage? (In this timestream, it’s Spacey.)

*Kathie Lee Gifford or Kathy Lee Gifford? In this reality, it’s always been “Kathie.”

Katy Perry – Memories of her using the name Kate, not Katy.

Li Qi – Chinese comedian, reported death, still alive in early 2014.

*Lindbergh baby – Many recall that it was never found. (In this timestream, the 20-month old baby was found about a week and a half after the kidnapping.)

*Looney Tunes or Looney Toons? – Several conflicting memories.

Louie Anderson –  Alive and well now, but his death (and therefore cancellation of his TV show) at some point in the past. (Not being confused with John Candy and other  comedians who died.)

*Madagascar – Location and general geography. Not just a map issue, but its location and just what it is, seem to be different than what people have thought.

Married with Children – One character played by two different actors?

Mars – No moons or two moons?

Martin Luther King, Jr. — Shot with a handgun, at close range?

M.A.S.H. (TV series) – Some recall the in-series death of Walter “Radar” O’Reilly. However, that wasn’t part of the story in this timestream.

Muhammad Ali – Still alive (early 2015) per Wikipedia, but some recall his 2009 death.

Movie trailers — Several reported that seem never to have existed in our current timestream.

Mussolini – Looks different in historical photos now than how he looked in earlier photos & textbook pictures. Not just different photos, but a different man in them.

Mystery Science Theater — Variations of the numbers following show name (mostly 2000 or 3000, but a few recall 4000).

Muammar Gaddafi — Some death memories from years before he was killed (in this timestream), and a couple of memories of him fleeing his country.

Neil Armstrong died in 2013, not 2012?  Also, some are sure he made a ‘Mr. Gorsky’ reference during his lunar voyage. (Latter debunked in this timestream by Snopes, but does anyone actually recall hearing it?)

Nelson Mandela’s death in prison, and his funeral, long before his actual death (in this timestream) on 5 December 2013.

New Zealand’s location, relative to Australia.

Osama bin Laden – Death reported in 2001 in the Middle East and elsewhere, with obituaries. Conflicting reports provide explanations for both memories, including someone who claims he witnessed the 2001 event. (It’s difficult to sort out what’s an alternate memory and what’s from errors in the news.)

Patrick Swayze’s full recovery, reported after his tragic death.

*Peter Fonda – Many people recall him dying several years ago. (Not confusing him with his dad, actor Henry Fonda, who died in 1982.)

Robert Crumb — Death reported, 1990s. Still alive (July 2015). He’s the controversial artist responsible for Fritz the Cat and Mr. Natural, the hippie-era iconic Keep on Truckin’ graphic, etc.

Robert Stack — Earlier death reports.

*Rod Serling or Rod Sterling? Some recall the latter spelling, not as a typo but as a clear memory reported by sincere fans of his work.

Ronald Reagan — Varying memories about when he was president, and when and how he died.

*Sara Lee products slogan/jingle – Some recall “Nobody doesn’t like Sara Lee,” (1960s’ commercial: ) but others recall it as “Nobody does it like Sara Lee.” And, they’re clear that they didn’t just mis-hear it.  (Wikipedia says “incorrectly reported,” but is it really an alternate memory, instead? Ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sara_Lee_Corporation )

Segway – The company was started in 1999, and the product was in pre-production, limited release in 2002. (Ref.)  My family and I lived near Segway founder Dean Kamen and we clearly recall the Segway in use in 1996. I called the company (2014) and asked, and they don’t have any information to support the 1996 date. (They also didn’t have any to deny it.)

*Sex and the City – Was it “Sex in the City” when it first aired? That’s an alternate memory many people recall.

Shirley Temple — Death prior to 10 Feb 2014?

*Sky – The sky looks different now, to many people. Different colors, including the color of the sun. Different placement of the sun, the moon, and some stars. Different relative brilliance of the stars. Some chemtrail references are among the comments, but — in general — people are talking about the sky looking very different now.

SpongeBob SquarePants – More than one voice actor for title character? Wikipedia shows just one, but he did change his voice somewhat.

Sri Lanka location, south of India, not southeast as it is on current maps. (Also see ancient maps at this article about geography changes, in general.)

Star Trek — Chakotay character killed, then returns — several episodes later — without much explanation. (I’ve talked about this — in person —  with Robert Beltran, who played the character. He’s sure that version of the storyline was never written or filmed.)

Star Wars — A specific scene — not a deleted scene — that some remember clearly, others don’t.

Terminator movie variations, before the deleted scenes were available on DVD.  (This is one of several pre-DVD movies where people remember scenes that were never released, until they showed up on DVD.)

Terry Pratchett – Died shortly after the announcement of his illness (2013), instead of March 2015?

*Thanksgiving (USA) – Third Thursday in November or fourth? (Since 1941, it’s always on the fourth Thursday.)

*Tiananmen Square – Memories of “tank boy” getting run over. (Popular topic, and opinions seem split as to whether it’s a Mandela Effect issue or simple conspiracy and media manipulation.)

Timothy Leary – Former Harvard professor and LSD enthusiast, or serial killer as well?

*Volvo car symbol (the badge/icon/logo on the car).

Weather – Hurricane Katrina: April or August 2005, or another year altogether?

*Western Sizzler restaurant – Never existed? Name in this timestream is Western Sizzlin (ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Sizzlin%27 ). Even FB pages lists Western Sizzler (ref: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Western-Sizzler-Auburn-Alabama/183908811678962 ).

Whitey Bulger — Died in 2013? Still alive in this reality (as of August 2014).

Will Smith and Jada Pinkett – Divorced from her ~10 years ago? (As of Feb 2015, they’re still listed as a couple, but he divorced a previous wife in 1995.)

William Daniels (actor) – Died early 2000s? Still alive (<- Wikipedia link) in early 2015.

Who Framed Roger Rabbit? (movie) – Different ending after initial release? Different title?

Writers’ strike – 2007-2008 or some other year (21st century only)?

X-Men – Alternate abilities of Professor X?

---

Anyone remember something odd / different   from the list, or beyond?

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2015, 01:18:20 am »
I think it's odd someone compiled that and keeps referring to a different "timestream".

dkersten

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2024, 11:47:30 am
  • If you are gonna do it, do it right..
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2015, 01:50:19 am »
I think it's odd someone compiled that and keeps referring to a different "timestream".
lol, it's just fodder for writing good stories.. I took the particle acceleration from the whole CERN thing, mixed it with this alternate timeline thing and wrote a short book called "Paradox Cycle".. It's fiction of course, but still fun to play in that world.

As for posting an entire website, just link it dude.  FFS, people remember stuff poorly.  We've all done it.  Especially if you've talked about it before (particularly if you embellished for a story).  You start with the truth, then a few years later you tell a story about it that isn't completely accurate, and ten years later that's exactly how you remember it, and you would bet your life savings it happened exactly that way.  Memories are a funny thing, and as stated, horribly unreliable.  Hell, my ex wife believes 100% of the lies she told during our 20 year marriage, and even when I showed her proof she was lying she didn't believe me.  I'm not talking about just continuing a lie after being caught in it, I'm talking she actually believed I had forged the proof because in her mind it happened the way SHE reconstructed things.  She will go to her grave believing things are a certain way because that's what she remembers, even though she is so far from the truth it's kind of scary. 

All it would take is a teacher writing "Berenstein Bears" on the chalkboard once and 20 years later you are positive the name was changed on the book.   It's just the way the mind works, and for some it is way more extreme than for others.

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2015, 02:46:17 am »
dkersten,

Sounds like your wife was a Narcissist.   They are famous for making up stuff... and "self-programming" to try to keep away from crumbling their own frail real selves.

I was abused by Narc parents, as well as had ran into many more of them later in life... only recently to know what it was, and how it worked.

As for myself... Im the kind of guy who deals with things head-on.   I dont lie.   I dont sugar coat things.  If Im proven wrong... then Im ok at accepting it, and growing from it.     Not everyone is that way... for sure.   But this is my personality now.. and has been for countless years.

My memories are far more vivid than a simple chalkboard writing.   I have many of them... and they are in clear detail.  Being very visual... an Artists...  I remember and recall visual things in a way that many cant.    Usually, I only watch a movie once for example... because Ive absorbed it to the point where I dont need to see it again...  unless its extremely good,  or Im board.

I can also tell the difference between my imagination, and my hard coded memories.  Again... I dont self-program.   I dont lie.   I dont distort the truths.   I seek them out as best I can.

My visual abilities Can construct a false reality... such as at times, Ive visualized a video game I wanted to make.  I sat in the cockpit, started to play the game.  Even heard the sounds of the game.   But again... I easily knew this was my creation.   Theres a sort of fuzzyness about it... that isnt the same as a real "reality" based memory.

Could I convince myself of a false memory?  Sure.. anyone could... with enough work, and time passed. (and possible drugs / booz)

However, thats not the case here.   Its an Ice Cold bucket of water being tossed at me.  A real shock and awe effect.   Many others feel the same. 

(FYI:  Ive never done any drugs...  nor have drank enough to black out and lose my memory)

Anyways,
 It seems many have posted quite amazing and deep theories about these things on the site.   I highly suggest reading through them.  Its quite fascinating:

http://mandelaeffect.com/possible-explanations

I believe there are some Scientists whom have posted there too.

Theres a Lot of talk, and a lot of very realistic posts.  Meaning... these people mention various strings of events that are similar.. with others often agreeing .. supporting the others alternative perspectives.   Its very validating to hear.

saint

• turned to the Dark Side
  • Supreme Chancellor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 07:49:54 am
  • I only work in cyberspace...
    • Build Your Own Arcade Controls
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2015, 08:43:32 am »
Occam's razor. People's memories are fallible.

We are not victims of Cern distorting the time/space continuum.

Boggle.
--- John St.Clair
     Build Your Own Arcade Controls FAQ
     http://www.arcadecontrols.com/
     Project Arcade 2!
     http://www.projectarcade2.com/
     saint@arcadecontrols.com

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2015, 09:05:04 am »
Occam's razor. People's memories are fallible.

We are not victims of Cern distorting the time/space continuum.

Boggle.

Don't trip on that mic you just dropped as you walk off stage, Saint!!!  :cheers:

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2015, 09:14:09 am »
Read some articles on faulty human memory
https://www.google.com/search?q=faulty+human+memory&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-US:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&gws_rd=ssl

You also have blind spots where the optic nerve passes through the back of your eyeballs.
The motorcycle group I belong to gives presentations in drivers ed classes demonstrating this and it always freaks the kids out.
If your brain doesn't have info from the other eye (like when you're looking left getting ready to pull out without fully turning your head to look), it often fills in the blind spot based on the surrounding area.  Here is a youtube video demonstrating it:

Also everything you see is a hallucination based on visual data received a fraction of a second earlier.
Your brain is forecasting what it expects to see.  Sometimes it gets it wrong.

In addition to memory or vision limitations, human nature plays a HUGE role.
People take delight in having specialized knowledge that others lack.
In nature, knowing what others do not gives you an advantage.  It's just how we're wired.
This is one of the reasons people latch onto conspiracy theories, cults, quack medicine, nutty science theories, etc.
It's also the reason clickbait ads using phrases like "one simple trick nobody knows" or "personal trainers hate him" or "they don't want you to know" work so well.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2015, 09:55:40 am »
Also everything you see is a hallucination based on visual data received a fraction of a second earlier.

There's an interesting theory floating around out there that we're all actually perceiving reality a couple of seconds after it objectively happened.  It's floated as an explanation for why "time slows down" when people are in the middle of traumatic events - basically your brain goes into overdrive and gives you the raw feed.  You're perceiving faster so everything else seems slower.  I personally experienced it as I went air borne off the side of a hill in a car once.

A researcher in Houston famously threw graduate students off platforms and had them stare at a watch flashing numbers faster than we can ordinarily perceive.  If I recall correctly, out of ~30 subjects, only one was able to consistently see the numbers.  Amusingly both "skeptics" and "believers" cite this result as evidence.

Frankly, I think there's something to it, and I think most of us are synced up and there's outliers on either end.  We've all met perfectly intelligent "spacey" people and we've all met "quick" and "sharp" people.  I bet it's quite distressing at the extreme ends. 

I was a guinea pig on one of his time perception studies, but it involved sitting in a sensory deprivation room and watching numbers count down on a computer screen.  Two hours of "was that sequence faster or slower than the previous one? " The things we'll do for $20.

Back to the topic at hand... one I've found quite amusing over the years is the insistence of people 60+ that "one time I bought a bottle of Old Crow with a dead crow on it" or "my mom had a bottle with the crow on its back." 

Anyway, it's a little joke bottle that had sugar water in it.  But they distinctly remember buying it at the liquor store:

http://www.lostwackys.com/odd-stuff/whiskey-spoofs.htm

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2015, 10:57:45 am »

jdbailey1206

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2023, 01:32:56 pm
  • No. It's your top score on Pole Position.
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2015, 12:08:48 pm »

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2015, 01:09:59 pm »
Beware! I come to you from the alternate timestream, now known as timestream Earth-616. We abandoned that timestream for an alternate reality after Cern experimentation opened an unearthly portal between us and a dimension of reality distorting creatures, known to us as the mindbenders. They invaded our planet and changed our reality. Their first acts seemed harmless, changing spellings of dead celebrities names and creating alternative endings to movies we only watched once. However, their invasion plans became obvious when they changed the spelling of popular food items, such as Froot Loops and Jiffy Peanut butter. Now aware of their plans to change our reality to ensure we forget the foods we only ate as children, we knew sterilization of the human race was the ultimate goal of these creatures.

The creatures made one fatal mistake. During their time changing realities to kill off and unkill celebrities such as Dick Van Patten, Patrick Swazie (You know him as "Patrick Swayze") and Jerry Lewis, they brought Stephen Hawking back from the dead. He Created a Einstein-Rosen Bridge, aka the Hawking Hole. He used the Hawking hole to merge our reality with one that does not have the mindbenders distorting the timeline. Unfortunately, most of us have forgotten all but remnants of this timeline due to wormhole sickness.

The world is safe for now, but beware the mindbenders! My only regret from our past timestream is that I am sure going to miss Chef Boy-R-Dee Ravioli.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2015, 01:36:25 pm »
I've got $5 that says when Stephen Hawking dies they're going to realize he's been a vegetable since at least 2005.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2015, 01:51:25 pm »
Beware! I come to you from the alternate timestream, now known as timestream Earth-616. We abandoned that timestream for an alternate reality after Cern experimentation opened an unearthly portal between us and a dimension of reality distorting creatures, known to us as the mindbenders. They invaded our planet and changed our reality. Their first acts seemed harmless, changing spellings of dead celebrities names and creating alternative endings to movies we only watched once. However, their invasion plans became obvious when they changed the spelling of popular food items, such as Froot Loops and Jiffy Peanut butter. Now aware of their plans to change our reality to ensure we forget the foods we only ate as children, we knew sterilization of the human race was the ultimate goal of these creatures.

The creatures made one fatal mistake. During their time changing realities to kill off and unkill celebrities such as Dick Van Patten, Patrick Swazie (You know him as "Patrick Swayze") and Jerry Lewis, they brought Stephen Hawking back from the dead. He Created a Einstein-Rosen Bridge, aka the Hawking Hole. He used the Hawking hole to merge our reality with one that does not have the mindbenders distorting the timeline. Unfortunately, most of us have forgotten all but remnants of this timeline due to wormhole sickness.

The world is safe for now, but beware the mindbenders! My only regret from our past timestream is that I am sure going to miss Chef Boy-R-Dee Ravioli.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2015, 04:02:43 pm »
Well if you read some of that super high-level physics stuff you begin to realize that "time line" is a bad descriptor because time is fluid and distorts and does really weird stuff at these turning points.  Time is so fluid, in fact, that our brains have internal mechanisms to constantly sync with time as it goes wonky.  It's why people in space stations don't feel time passing slower, even though, according to Einstein, it is as time is effected by gravity and thus they have "less time" at a higher orbit. 

That nonsense in Star Trek IV about sling-shooting around the sun at crazy fast speeds effected by gravity to time travel isn't as crazy as it sounds... only the traveling backwards part is. 

Our brains are imperfect though, so sometimes the internal clock gets out of whack and we notice weird stuff or invent stuff based on the arrogance coping mechanism we all have. Neurologists have found that when faced with a difficult question that we can't know the answer to, we will invent an answer and go with it until someone proves otherwise so that our minds can leave the problem behind.  Without it we'd get caught in an infinite loop like those old scifi robots. 

Long story short, the correct answer to "Am I crazy or.......?" Is yes, you went crazy due to the brain's inability to process the problem, but just for a moment, so don't sweat it.  ;)

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2015, 09:50:39 pm »
The ideas presented in Physics and Science are getting more and more 'MetaPhysical'  as time goes on.

The theories that once would have been called  "Insane"   are now part of accepted theory and practice.

The old  "Occums Razor"  is a cop out.    It was used, and most popularized,  by a movie called "Contact"  starring Jodi Foster?

Great movie.   Where the Scientist Jodi... battles the idea of a Creator... yet upon seeing things from another place in the universe...
has no proof upon return.   She herself was attacked using this sort of language.    At the end... the Govt. realized that there was in fact some proof.   13hrs?  of pure static recorded.. for a 2 second journey.    That was of course, after the smear campaign.

While the movie is obviously not reality...  the concept still stands.

Just because something is complex,  seemingly impossible... etc..   does not mean that the real truth is the most Simple of answers.

Its also funny how many people of science.. are not keeping up on the science and theories.   They stick to one set of things they learn... and at some point... they become static in their knowledge.   They defend old theories and principles that have long since been put to rest.

Im not as technically minded as some... yet I try to keep myself up on some of the more recent studies and findings.   I may not understand ever facet of them..  but I get the general ideas and concepts of where we are.

Nobody wants to admit that the universe is so dangerous... that our reality could be altered and changed, or destroyed.. in the blink of an eye.   Yet, that IS the reality.   One giant asteroid could end us all.   At least... in this timeframe / reality variant.

A lot of recent Cern and other recent Theorys..  revolves around time travel, opening portholes, and the universe being some sort of Illusion.   As well as there being multiples as a real possibility.

By keeping an open mind.. and using a good Healthy bit of caution... we might be able to expand, and stick around longer.
If not... well,  we may botch things up so bad,  that we wish we could jump somewhere else.

Believe whatever you will.   Ive said my opinion on the subject.

Nephasth

« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2015, 09:58:37 pm »
Don't you ever shut up?

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2015, 08:13:37 am »
Don't you ever shut up?

In the other time stream he does.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

jdbailey1206

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2023, 01:32:56 pm
  • No. It's your top score on Pole Position.
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2015, 09:37:11 am »
Don't you ever shut up?

In the other time stream he does.

In the other time stream he's actually Scott (PL1).  Keeding.   ;D

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2015, 09:53:14 am »
sometimes I get a peestream from a different timestream where I was standing in a different position and it throws off my aim

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2015, 09:54:54 am »
sometimes I get a peestream from a different timestream where I was standing in a different position and it throws off my aim

I'm using that excuse next time I nail my wife in the shower when she wasn't feeling into it.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2015, 10:12:39 am »
In the other time stream he's actually Scott (PL1).  Keeding.   ;D

Even I wouldn't call Scott "X2" even in jest.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.