Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Destroyer of Worlds (Regular Show inspired cab for my kids)  (Read 4511 times)

Duake

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 23, 2018, 10:41:06 pm
  • Let's do this!
Destroyer of Worlds (Regular Show inspired cab for my kids)
« on: August 16, 2015, 12:41:03 pm »
Hi, guys. I had a project on here a couple years ago and haven't really done anything arcade-like since then. I have the link to the project on here, but I will have to link the images to my new domain later on.

I decided after some deliberation that I needed to make something fun for my kids since they like playing video games so much. Arcades around here don't exist and I don't consider Chuck E. Cheese a place with "real" arcade games. Well, we watch Regular Show and the second episode was called "Destroyer of Worlds." That's the one where they find the abandoned arcade games like "Lemonade Stand", "Clap Like This", "Hats for Sale", etc. The last game they find is "Destroyer of Worlds." If you're familiar with the show then something bad happens with this arcade machine. It unleashes the boss from the game and it goes on a rampage.

I decided to make the arcade cabinet replicate the one in the show. Now, I did all the artwork and even did all the graphics for Maximus Arcade, but I LOST IT ALL. Well, the PSD files, which took me over 6 hours to make, are all gone, but the Maximus Arcade files are still here. I wanted to shorten the CPO since it was HUGE for 2 players and I needed to redo the artwork. This is pretty much when I lost it since I couldn't find ANY remnants of it anywhere. I will post what I made here if people would like to see what I did just for kicks and post what it will look like when I'm done. I can't print my new artwork for the CPO, so I'm just going to handpaint everything on the cab to match the TV show version.

This is only going to be 5 feet tall and only 14 inches deep. Yes, maybe a little too skinny, but with the skeleton I created from it so far, it actually works.  :P

Since this is still a WIP, I will post what I've done and I'm working on it as I type this. Obviously ANY comments and questions are welcome. I will try and check the thread every 10-15 minutes and post new pics as I go.

The sides not completely done in this pic:

How the monitor is being mounted:

The shortened CP from 30" to 23":

The WIP skeleton so far:

More on the way!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 10:00:59 pm by Duake »

Nephasth

Re: Destroyer of Worlds (Regular Show inspired cab for my kids)
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 12:49:38 pm »
Nice to see a 2 player 4 button build these days.

Duake

• Offline Offline
  • Let's do this!
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 12:53:38 pm »
Nice to see a 2 player 4 button build these days.

Yeah, I actually managed to get all of the joysticks and buttons on ebay for like $25 brand new. I made the layout from that.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:58:57 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 01:00:09 pm »
That was a great episode.  :cheers:
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Duake

• Offline Offline
  • Let's do this!
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2015, 01:11:50 pm »
Here is my intro video when you start up the cabinet:

« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 10:02:05 pm by Duake »

Duake

• Offline Offline
  • Let's do this!
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2015, 05:34:55 pm »
Okay, 2 weeks have gone by and I haven't done anything much except for yesterday. It also looks like no one really cares about this build in the same amount of time...  :cry:

So, here is the progress since last time:

Added feet to my motherboard.

Obviously better for circulation for air.

I didn't want to put my entire computer case in the machine, so I put the components on the bottom board.
Fans will be installed behind on the back wall eventually. Everything is raised off of the bottom with PCB feet and just hot glued down.

My mini 15Wx2 amplifier that gets power from the PSU via the molex connector. Cost was $2.70.

And the speaker system that it's powering that I got brand new for only $25.

I planned on finishing the bezel around the monitor and putting the rest of the front and back panels on today, but nap time interfered...
Hope to have this built during the week or next weekend. After the build, I need to deconstruct and start painting the whole thing. Until then...
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 10:02:51 pm by Duake »

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:58:57 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2015, 05:40:59 pm »
Don't worry, brother, you're doing it the right way!  :cheers:
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Slippyblade

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2015, 05:45:03 pm »
Here is my intro video when you start up the cabinet:

Oh, that is hilarious and amazingly appropriate!

Duake

• Offline Offline
  • Let's do this!
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2015, 06:30:24 pm »
I have the link to my last project on here years ago, but I had to update the links with my new website:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,60899.0.html

jugger18

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 25, 2020, 09:58:30 am
  • Time to make a bitchen man cave
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2015, 10:12:32 pm »
Got a link to the amp?

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2015, 11:12:21 pm »
Looking good! I like the monitor mount.

Duake

• Offline Offline
  • Let's do this!

Duake

• Offline Offline
  • Let's do this!
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2018, 10:31:48 pm »
Hey guys! I have finally gotten my arcade back from my ex's house and into my own after about a year and a half. Why so long? My kids mainly live with her, but seem to only play it when they are here now. Dad is just cooler than mom...   :laugh:

So I brought this thread back from the dead because I haven't been on these forums in a long time and I got motivated tonight by looking at everyone else's projects and just got jealous from not getting this thing back in the limelight if just for a day.

Lo and behold the mostly finished project. Totally playable and still has the intro as above.

Cabinet without the front on it.

The guts of the machine. Simple enough. I probably would have raised it higher, but the board is also the floor of the cabinet.

Looks shoddy, but does the job. Wireless keyboard and a ball mouse. That small thing in the back is the little amplifier that is powered by the PSU. Need to get a ground loop isolator ($9) so no more interference.

Side shot. That decal is just a placeholder for the time being. Since I can make everything at work because we do car wraps and vinyl, etc., I was bored and made 2 of these and stuck them on either side. I plan on making the side panels like the cartoon.

Up shot of the 5.25" components being powered by the little amp. They have great bass and sound good!

I plan on hopefully getting this finished by getting the rest of the vinyl put on and everything. I am tempted to make little vinyl decals for the buttons, but I don't know. We have a lot of different vinyls at work, which includes goldleaf! I used black carbon fiber on my laptop and my computer desk shelf. I will most likely do a proper marquee as we have the vinyl for that as well. I might use LEDs up there instead of my fluorescent light I found somewhere. Let me know what you guys think and shoot over anything you want about helping me with the current state of the cabinet if it needs it!