Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Maximus Arcade Noob Questions  (Read 6799 times)

Saltbee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 01, 2015, 08:58:51 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Maximus Arcade Noob Questions
« on: August 12, 2015, 09:13:29 pm »
Hey everybody,

I have a few noob questions as it relates to Maximus Arcade - I'm just jumping into the world of emulation so my apologies if there are obvious solutions that I'm just not seeing...

I recently bought the X-Arcade cabinet with the Tankstick and Maximus Arcade came pre-loaded on the PC.  I'm running into two issues that are baffling me:

1) I installed a newer version of Mame (0.163) in a separate folder on the C: drive and pointed the MA Mame config to the new (0.163) Mame executable.  I added a bunch of roms and it took several weeks of experimenting (and Google searches) to realize that I needed to update the Mame .dat file to the 0.163 version in order for the forced re-scans to catch the roms I added - most of them are finally showing in the Maximum Arcade Mame front-end.  (I did add .7z to the Mame scans and I'm still missing roms, but it's a minimal number so I can live with it.)

Now I'm finding a majority of my roms play fine in Mame but will not play in Maximus Arcade which is using the exact same Mame executable.  I tried setting the path from "short" to "long" - that's the obvious Google search answer that always comes up - but it doesn't make any difference.

Does anyone have any suggestions or theories about why these Mame roms show up in the MA front-end list, play perfectly in Mame, but will not play through MA?  I'm out of ideas as to what could be causing this.  It's a real bummer because now I'm basically just bypassing MA to get to the desktop and running the straight Mame excutable to play the games.  MA seems like a really cool interface and is certainly impressive when it works but a huge chunk of my Mame roms just won't play in MA.

2) Is there a way to get the Mame rom version text to display after the game title in the MA front end game list?  When you the watch the video tutorials on setting up MA, the version info (Japan Version, World Version, Rev. 3, etc.) automatically shows up in the front end game list after the name but on my machine they don't - I just have multiple "1941" and "1942" lines which is really irritating.  I know you can manually edit the text that displays but there must be an easier way.  I have tried playing around with the Mame command line scripting (adding in %desc in various places as it seems like the description is what's missing) but I don't know what I'm doing and I haven't been able to find a tutorial on how that command line scripting sequence works and what it actually does.  Does the X-Arcade version of the MA software automatically disable that somehow?

Huge thanks in advance to anyone who has any input or ideas for me - I have been ravenously pouring through Google searches and experimenting over the last month but I haven't been able to find any solutions to either issue.  It's been a real frustrating experience with MA - I would love to know what I'm missing or doing wrong...

Saltbee

• Offline Offline
Re: Maximus Arcade Noob Questions
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 05:49:15 pm »
Hi all,

Just to update my previous post, I'm running 64-bit Windows 8.1 and Maximus Arcade 2.10.

So I've been experimenting with different settings and I think I finally got Mame working correctly in Maximus Arcade.  In the event that someone else who is equally as frustrated as I was stumbles onto this post, hopefully this will help steer you in the right direction...

The version of Mame that came pre-loaded on my X-Arcade PC was several years old, though it did seem to work with the roms that were in MA.  If you're in the same boat and you're happy with what you've got, more power to you - have fun!

If, however, you want to upgrade your version of Mame to something newer, there is some work to be done.  It seems some of the newer versions of Mame may not be as perfectly compatible with MA, but I downloaded Mame 0.163, the newest version available at the time.  I ended up having the most luck with the MameUI version which is a little more visually friendly anyway than the standard Mame program - a Google search of MameUI will find the latest version.

A word about the MA Preferences interface - you can pull this up by pressing the RIGHT Control key (not the left) + P when MA is running.  For whatever reason, there is no Save button in Preferences so any changes you make will revert back to their default setting every time you reboot the machine or turn it off completely and turn it back on later.  In order for your changes to be permanent, you have to exit Maximus Arcade to the desktop, go to the folder where you have MA installed and open the "default.ini" file using Wordpad or Textpad - any basic text editor.  All of the individual fields and default options inside the Preferences interface are listed out here, tho some require some searching.  (It's probably wise to make a back-up copy of the your "default.ini" file before you started making edits so you can always restore it in the event that you totally hose something up.)

So if you want to use your newer version of Mame, you have edit the default.ini file - do a search for "Mame" (or just scroll down) and you'll find the right section - there's a section here for all of the emulators that are selectable in the MA Preferences interface.  Scroll down to the line with the Mame executable path and update that path to the executable in whatever folder you have your newer version of Mame installed in.  If your roms are in any other folder other than the default path, you can update that line in the default.ini file as well.  Now every time you boot up your PC, Maximus Arcade will look to the newly selected path for the Mame executable and Mame roms.  Step 1 complete.

One of the other things I had to figure out the hard way is the right combination of Preferences settings to make your re-scans of the roms folder work - anytime you add additional roms, you'll want to rescan your Mame folder to capture those roms so they show up in your front-end list.  Here's the catch - whatever version of Mame you're using, you also need to find the mame.dat file from the equivalent version.  So I'm using Mame 0.163 and subsequently need the Mame 0.163 dat file to make this process work.  I found the links in the MA Preferences Database tab no longer work - a quick Google search for progetto-snaps should yield what you're looking for.  You'll want to download the Mame dat file and save it to your C: drive - it may be in an .rar or .7z format but it seems Maximus Arcade wants the dat files (there's three of them in the bundle) to be in a zip file so unpack the dat file from whatever compression is used and once you have the resulting dat folder, right click on it, choose Send and select zipped archive (or however your OS works - it just needs to be in a zip format to make MA happy).

This is the magic sequence of options and choices inside the MA Preferences interface for my re-scans to work - there may be other ways but ANY derivation from this results in an invalid media location error when MA is starting, at least for me: 
1) On the Configuration tab, select Mame and check the "Force rescan of media folder" button below. 
2) On the Database tab, where it says "Update the selected database file...", click on the dropdown and choose mame.dat - the default option is cps3.dat.
3) On the same Database screen, click on the "..." button (just to the right of the mame.dat drop-down) which lets you select where on your computer the dat file is located.  Navigate to the zip file you made of your Mame dat file and select it - you have to hit Yes or Ok on the resulting dialogue box but you should get a confirmation that the new dat file has been copied/loaded.
4) On the Options / MAME tab, select "Mame rom description built using ClrMAME Pro database (mame.dat)” - the default choice is the XML gamelist underneath that but I've never been able to get a scan to work choosing the XML option.
5) Click the Close button and when MA restarts (hopefully) it has re-scanned your rom folder using the Mame dat file you downloaded which matches the version of Mame that you're using.

This method found the vast majority of my roms - there's a still a few that show up in MameUI but don't show up in the MA Mame front end game list but most of them are there.

I did run into a few roms that worked fine in MameUI but would not work in Maximus Arcade - I got a weird error about the path to zip file being incorrect.  So, here's where doing homework on this site and some Google searches really pays off - on the MA Preferences Configuration tab for Mame, change the Path to Media drop-down from "short" to "long" - this was the last piece of the puzzle to get those few remaining roms to work.  And remember, you have to exit out of MA to the desktop and edit the Maximus Arcade default.ini file (just like before to set your Mame executable and rom locations) and change the line in the Mame section about media path from short (the default) to long.

When you reboot your PC from now on, MA should remember your Mame executable location, the rom location and the media path will default to long.

Again, I am by means an expert at this but these instructions have worked for me - I do hope anyone else new to Maximus Arcade or emulation in general who has decided to jump into the nostalgia gaming pool (as I did), will find this helpful.

I still have not been able to figure out how to get the full Mame game title (including the version) to display in the front-end game list.  On every MA screen shot you see, the game list shows something like...
1941 (Japan Version)
1941 (US Version)
...but on my MA front-end, all I have are two rows that both say "1941" with no identifiable version...
...which is frustrating because you're not sure which version of the rom you're selecting.  The full description/version text displays correctly in MameUI so I know the data I want to display is there somewhere...

If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions on how to get the full Mame game name and description to display in the MA game list, I would be most appreciative for the guidance.  I thought perhaps it was a setting in the X-Arcade theme that came pre-loaded in MA but I get the same truncated name list even when I choose another theme/skin...

Thanks, all - game on!

nexusmtz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 01, 2022, 03:14:22 am
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 01:34:32 am »
I still have not been able to figure out how to get the full Mame game title (including the version) to display in the front-end game list.  On every MA screen shot you see, the game list shows something like...
1941 (Japan Version)
1941 (US Version)
...but on my MA front-end, all I have are two rows that both say "1941" with no identifiable version...

Since you didn't explicitly say that you checked or unchecked it, ensure that Configuration tab, Scan sub-tab, "Remove brackets... in media name" isn't checked.

Saltbee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2015, 10:57:14 pm »
That did it!! HUGE thanks for the tip, Nexus - can't tell you how much I appreciate it! It's always the one button you didn't click...

I changed the MA default.ini file for Mame so that 'bracket' box is unchecked by default - if anyone else is looking for it, it's the line in the Mame section that says ScanFilter - if you change the 1 to a 0 and save the default.ini file you should be good and the additional game info (version, revision number, etc.) should display in the MA Mame front-end game list (once you've rescanned your rom list).

So I'm fully up and running - all of my initial MA issues have been resolved.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to get past the watermelon board on Food Fight. ;)

Game on! :)