Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Super Resolutions vs Magic Resolutions  (Read 2096 times)

billfor

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 11, 2017, 12:15:55 pm
Super Resolutions vs Magic Resolutions
« on: August 10, 2015, 10:49:08 pm »
I have a dumb question: I was just trying out the new super resolutions on my XP box with a d9800 monitor and gmame 164, and I noticed that in some cases the rendering doesn't seem as accurate as when using the magic resolutions. For example the fuel bar on scramble has small alternating yellow/orange bars.  With magic resolutions all the bars are the same width, but with the super resolutions enabled the spacing/width seem slightly off between them

Don't get me wrong: The super resolutions do seem to work fine. You have to look really closely to see any difference.
I'm just wondering if  technically the magic resolutions are more precise, at least on XP?

Thanks.

Paradroid

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 04:50:06 pm
    • SCART Hunter
Re: Super Resolutions vs Magic Resolutions
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 10:55:34 pm »
Interesting. I've never been able to tell the difference between standard resolutions and super resolutions. And I've certainly tried...
My MAME/SCART/CRT blog: SCART Hunter

adder

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2021, 10:51:51 am
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 09:24:16 am »
billfor could you do the 'rtype' test (see below)  and report back if you noticed any differences between magic and super resolutions:

"....a good game choice is r-type with its 384 pixels wide horizontal resolution (so, that could be scaled up 6.666666... times if using a 2560 super resolution width). if you watch the attract mode when you load r-type, ignore the first gameplay demo (outer space gameplay demo), but the second gameplay demo has both a grey background pattern, and also colourful gfx in the foreground (both scrolling at different slow/smooth speeds). that's a good place to look for any oddness (eg. shimmering) in scrolling. just look carefully at the scrolling (background/foreground) and see if you spot any differences between eg. super and magic resolutions".

billfor

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2015, 12:57:14 am »
Rtype seems fine either way.
The difference is really subtle.  At my job I used to do a lot of image processing and artifacts tend to pop out for me. One of these is with magic resolutions and the other with super resolutions. If you view the bars in this post from a distance (stand way back) you can see, in one of them,  there is a slight periodic variance in the line width in groups of 3 or 4  -- it's really tiny. But my question was what was really going on with the super resolutions and perhaps magic was a bit more accurate....

Thanks.

pakoman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:55:08 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 06:17:27 am »
Hi.
Magic resolutions are more exact than super-resolutions. But the difference should be almost inexistant in most cases. Of course, some patterns like the scramble energy bars are more prone to show diferences.
You can do the mathmatics to measure the physical size of an artifact just by taking in mind the size of the monitor, the super-resolution and the game resolution.

Anyway a monitor with a bad geometry adjustment may show similar artifacts with exact resolutions.

billfor

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2015, 10:09:09 pm »
OK thanks. Yes they are both very close. Just wanted to clarify.