Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: First MAME driver attempt  (Read 2285 times)

silvereagle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 05, 2023, 05:10:23 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
First MAME driver attempt
« on: August 07, 2015, 04:32:05 pm »
Hi everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I have been reading a lot on racing cabinet setups and decided to dive into a Mame driver project myself with a recent Atari San Francisco Rush cabinet I recently picked up. I plan on using an arcade monitor with Ultimarc's Arcade VGA but undecided on which controls to use. I have a Logitech G25 wheel and also the Happ components that came with the cabinet. The plan is to run the older MAME drivers such as Out Run, Hard and Race Drivin', Chase HQ, Continental Circuit, Cruising USA and World etc. Basically anything with a 270 degree wheel, Sega M2 and M3 emulators and also the PC version of Out Run Coast to Coast. At the moment I have been able to find a MAME version that supports all of the games, with the exception of Hard and Race Drivin'.

Seeing there are a lot of more experienced members on this subject, what are the recommendations on which wheel setup to use. G25 or Happ stock wheel, pedals, shifter with the use of Ultimarc's UHID device?

Any help would greatly be appreciated fellows. Thank you in advance and I look forward to the many more posts on this wonderful forum :-)

supernono

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 24, 2021, 06:13:13 am
Re: First MAME driver attempt
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 05:21:13 pm »
for me the best way for Wheel is the HAPP with the Aganyte mod

it's a Logitech driving force hack for use with a HAPP component you can found it  here :
http://www.gamoover.net/tuto/happ-controls-interfacer-un-retour-de-force-happ-sur-un-pc-ps-2-et-ps3
it's in french but i can help you if you want

i use this hack for my race cab
i draw a new schematic with an "L6203"  (that is an H bridge) i found this one better than tip 122 like Aganyte use ,but the function is the same

this hack work with other FFB PC Wheel i try THrustmaster RGT and Logitech formula force EX
i think this hack can work with all "real" Force feedback Wheel  (not vibrating Wheel) 

if you use this way you can connect pedals and shifter to the Logitech pcb  (or other) that work very nice
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 05:43:59 pm by supernono »

silvereagle

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2015, 07:53:20 am »
Thank you for your input supernono but I rather keep it as simple as possible, with the above two options.

I have been reading some info on the UHID through Ultimarc but can't figure out how many pots can be hooked up to each set of header pins and how to wire up the shifter. Assuming it's only micro switches, the IPAC should be able to handle it (I think).

Again, if anyone has any input, please let me know.

Thank you.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2015, 09:27:56 am »
Thank you for your input supernono but I rather keep it as simple as possible, with the above two options.

I have been reading some info on the UHID through Ultimarc but can't figure out how many pots can be hooked up to each set of header pins and how to wire up the shifter. Assuming it's only micro switches, the IPAC should be able to handle it (I think).

Again, if anyone has any input, please let me know.

Thank you.

You typically want 1 set of pots per set (ie dont run 2 pots as the same axis). The UHID can handle 8 axis (a windows limitation), Most shifters are just microswitches so you are correct on that, except you dont need an IPAC you can just run everything through the UHID. You can map the miscroswitch input to keystrokes or gamepad button inputs

If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

silvereagle

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 09:08:40 am »
Any additional input on which wheel set up is best to use? I thought I would have some great feedback on this forum but haven't seen much activity for days :(

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 09:32:32 am »
Any additional input on which wheel set up is best to use? I thought I would have some great feedback on this forum but haven't seen much activity for days :(

Sorry my answer wasn't enough :)

If it were me, and for ease of set up, I'd use the G25 wheel in the cab and not worry about interfacing the arcade components. This does entail finding a way to mount the wheel and components inside the cab, keep in mind that the arcade parts are more durable but that's not typically a concern in the home environment.

An easy way to solicit feedback would be to start a project thread and ask for advice, more people tend to check that section rather than this one.

silvereagle

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 03:08:14 pm »
Thank you for the advise Malenko and my apologies if I came across rudely, it was not my intention.

I will take your advice and start a build thread :)

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2015, 03:19:04 pm »
I was just funnin about my reply not being good enough, all good  :cheers: