Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: White problem  (Read 1458 times)

hsinn3r

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2016, 04:30:57 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
White problem
« on: August 06, 2015, 04:07:49 pm »
Hello people,

I recently got me an OK Baby arcade cabinet, with a Neo Geo arcade board.
I'm facing a problem with the display. Using the cabins test mode (it displays four small squares, one for each primary color and a white one), I can get the colors themselves to display properly, with no bleeding. But on a full white screen, for example on the Neo Geo logo screen, the display is dim, and the result is a gray-ish, instead of a bright white.
When displaying dark and colored items, it looks ok.
The brightness pot is on full, and the other pot that resides with the focus pot, is as high as it can go without displaying horizontal lines.

Should I recap? Or is the screen done for?
Also when recapping, should I change all the caps, including the small resin-dipped ones? Or just the typical electrolytic (black and white barrel)? Pics follow, thank you in advance!

Screen sticker:

Circuit board sticker:

grantspain

• I personally prefer "bog trotter"
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:54:38 pm
Re: White problem
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 10:22:33 am »
have you tried the colour gains and cut offs?

hsinn3r

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 05:11:34 pm »
have you tried the colour gains and cut offs?

Hi, thanks for your reply.
Yes, I've tried both the gains and the cut offs. If I tweak the gains on a white background, I can get it to be bright when cranking the pots, but then everything else looks... psychedelic :P
Bringing the brightness down only reveals huge amounts of color bleed.

So I'm thinking that the monitor itself is capable of being bright, but can't on the current control board.

I'll try to make a BOM for the capacitors and order replacements.

grantspain

• I personally prefer "bog trotter"
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:54:38 pm
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2015, 03:32:43 am »
no harm in trying caps,cheap and easy to do

hsinn3r

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2015, 11:05:22 am »
no harm in trying caps,cheap and easy to do

Will do. I'll update on the result (in about a week or two).

hsinn3r

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2016, 04:29:22 pm »
Well, that took a while.

I replaced the whole chassis, and still no luck. I'm looking into rejuvenating the tube now, any thoughts?

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2024, 09:27:36 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2016, 05:20:16 pm »
Don't forget you are looking at a low resolution CRT tube picture, not a 1000000:1 contrast ratio plasma display. it's not going to be super duper sharp and retina burning bright. there is going to be variances in brightness and blooming of the picture.

that said, full screen brightness variances are usually caused by fluctuations in the main B+ high voltage. the capacitors filtering the B+ get weak and cant pump out the juice like they used to and become more of a load then a help. i'd start like others mentioned with a "cap kit" and change them. if they are original and haven't been messed with before, change them.

don't go messing with controls on the board, you can end up making things much much worse, especially if you've cranked up the B+ voltage to try and compensate for extra load of weak capacitors on the rail. When you change them and power back up... POOF! all kinds of destruction because that load is now gone.

haynor666

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2024, 03:17:30 am
  • retro maniac
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2016, 06:46:09 pm »
Typical problem of CRT displays, not just arcade monitors but also TVs. I have one TV with such problem and had another one with the same problem. Sadly I don't know what causing this (I assume it's caused but aging) so from time to time I search for another TV :/

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2024, 09:27:36 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2016, 09:33:33 pm »
If the tube is getting wore out,  you crank the gains on the colours and crank up the flyback and things just Gray out.  The emissions from the guns are usually to blame.  Sometimes a tube rejuvenation can restore it quite a bit,  but it's really hard on the tube. And can make the guns unbalanced to the point where you can't get good color reproduction.  Sometimes a rejuvenated tube will last year's... Sometimes months.  Sometimes even less.

But,  by the sounds of OP's description the tube emissions are okay,  the chassis is just having a hard time pushing voltage through the tube to get the electrons flowing when it's under high load (solid white)

haynor666

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2024, 03:17:30 am
  • retro maniac
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2016, 04:53:32 pm »
Hmm, even it's really typical problem so far we don't have a clear answer - fixable or not fixable. If fixable then how. I wonder if Ken Layton knows solution.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 04:57:48 pm by haynor666 »