Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Elbow Room Innovations - custom light boxes and other cool stuff!  (Read 10516 times)

DP Louie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 19, 2022, 09:30:50 pm
  • Jeep! Jeep!
Hey Guys (and gals),

I started in the arcade hobby several years ago with a MAME cab, right here on BYOAC.  I slowly drifted towards dedicated cabs and found myself over on KLOV more than here.  In the last few years I've built and sold several custom marquee light boxes, and this year I decided to get a bit more serious about them.  I opened and Etsy shop and threw together a simple website to showcase my wares.  I was just at CAX a few weeks back and sold several light boxes as well as pins/buttons and bead badges, so if you were there you may have seen me. 

I'm still working on the website and hopefully will have an order page up soon, but for now Etsy will have to do.  Basically I have my marquee boxes for sale, complete with vintage marquees for $199 plus shipping for most marquees (rare ones will be a bit more).  I'm in the process of working out a deal to have new marquees reverse printed on plexi, so if you're looking for something 100% new I'll have that option.  If you already have a marquee and you're just looking for a way to display it, I can build a custom light box just for you, sans marquee.  Currently I'm using 18" florescent lights but I'm testing LEDs.  I'm more than happy to do custom orders, just let me know what you're looking for.

In addition to the light boxes I also offer pixel bead badges - pearler bead creations of classic arcade characters with a badge clip and lanyard, and 1" pins/buttons/magnets.   Thanks for looking - I welcome any comments, good/bad or otherwise!  ;D   

Here's some links:

Website - http://www.elbowroominnovations.com/
Etsy - https://www.etsy.com/shop/ElbowRoomInnovations?ref=hdr_shop_menu
Ebay - http://www.ebay.com/usr/elbowroominn

Here's a few pics -

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2021, 12:21:09 pm
  • Don't half-ass two things, whole-ass one thing.
Re: Elbow Room Innovations - custom light boxes and other cool stuff!
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 02:33:36 pm »
Those marquee boxes are pretty cool!

How much would you charge for a just one reverse printed on plexi? Without the box?

How are they done now? Just printed artwork laid behind the plexi?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 03:02:04 pm by vwalbridge »
If you can read this, it means Photobucket's money grab ruined my signature photos.

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 08, 2023, 02:40:58 pm
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 02:53:51 pm »
Those marquees are cool (really, awesome work), but $199 plus s/h?
I'll just admire the pics.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 11:03:32 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 02:57:09 pm »
Those marquees are cool (really, awesome work), but $199 plus s/h?
I'll just admire the pics.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 02:57:45 pm »
but $199 plus s/h?

yea, I have to agree. $200 plus shipping is a lot for something that is decorative. But I certainly don't want to take away from the hard work that goes into making something like that. I know how expensive and labor intensive it can be to make that but I feel like a good price point would be $75 to $100.

( Except for that Pac-Mania one...that one has some detail! )
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 03:01:04 pm by vwalbridge »
If you can read this, it means Photobucket's money grab ruined my signature photos.

DP Louie

• Offline Offline
  • Jeep! Jeep!
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 05:07:03 pm »
Those marquee boxes are pretty cool!

How much would you charge for a just one reverse printed on plexi? Without the box?

How are they done now? Just printed artwork laid behind the plexi?

Thanks for the compliments! 

I don't actually print the marquees - the one's I currently offer are all original, not reproductions.  I'm thinking of having some new marquees reverse printed on plexi (there's a few people who offer this, for instance Rich at This Old Game), but I'm still checking into the costs.  Speaking of costs, yes my price point is not for the faint of heart  ;D.  I wish I could offer these at $75 - $100, but it costs me at least that much in materials to build one.  The marquees I use generally cost me around $50 (sometimes more) since I seek out pristine examples.  Sure, you can find marquees on ebay for $20, but if you actually try to use them you'll discover that most of those are far too scratched to look decent lit up.  I'm working on reducing my costs, but there's no way I'll ever be able to produce these for a retail price of $100.  I know there are others listed on ebay that sell for that price, but they are nowhere near the quality of mine, and I have not seen any others with sideart and t-molding.  That being said, I'm just posting here to get some overall exposure - I know my pins/buttons and pixel badges are more in line with most peoples budget.  The light boxes are aimed more at non-collectors, people who may have a "man cave" (damn, did I just use that phrase?) that want something to hang on the wall, or don't have the room or desire for a full size cabinet.

Thanks again, I do appreciate the compliments and the feedback!

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2015, 05:10:38 pm »
I've built my own. Yes, you're right, for a quality build they aren't $100 cheap.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:01:53 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2015, 05:34:40 pm »
These are pretty neat.

DP Louie

• Offline Offline
  • Jeep! Jeep!
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2015, 06:59:20 pm »
Okay, you guys talked me into it - I lowered the prices a bit...  (actually, I've gotten a bunch of feedback from other places as well, and I took a hard look at my costs).  Still not cheap by any means, but a bit better.  I enjoy building these (for now, lol) so I decided my labor costs could suffer a little.  When they become a PIA to make then I'll have to raise my prices!

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2015, 09:22:21 am »
Personally, I think you're dealing with a very limited market and if your customers have $180 to spend on these things, then they have $200, too.

Doubtless everyone will be copying your design around here shortly, though.

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2015, 09:56:15 am »
I mean, hey, if you've sold any at $199, keep it at $199. I just said it wasn't for me at that price (this IS a site about building your own stuff). Plenty of stuff gets posted here that we find cool, but isn't aimed at us.

I just appreciate you showing us your awesome work. I hope you sell out of them.

JDFan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2015, 12:57:02 pm »

I don't actually print the marquees - the one's I currently offer are all original, not reproductions.  I'm thinking of having some new marquees reverse printed on plexi (there's a few people who offer this, for instance Rich at This Old Game), but I'm still checking into the costs.  Speaking of costs, yes my price point is not for the faint of heart  ;D.  I wish I could offer these at $75 - $100, but it costs me at least that much in materials to build one.  The marquees I use generally cost me around $50 (sometimes more) since I seek out pristine examples.  Sure, you can find marquees on ebay for $20, but if you actually try to use them you'll discover that most of those are far too scratched to look decent lit up.  I'm working on reducing my costs, but there's no way I'll ever be able to produce these for a retail price of $100.  I know there are others listed on ebay that sell for that price, but they are nowhere near the quality of mine, and I have not seen any others with sideart and t-molding.  That being said, I'm just posting here to get some overall exposure - I know my pins/buttons and pixel badges are more in line with most peoples budget.  The light boxes are aimed more at non-collectors, people who may have a "man cave" (damn, did I just use that phrase?) that want something to hang on the wall, or don't have the room or desire for a full size cabinet.

IF you want to get the cost down a bit you might look into having Stpcore print them for you on the translite material he currently sells marquees printed on a translite material that is designed for backlighting for $15 which would be a better price point for you than the Ebay marquees you are currently buying and might allow a slightly better price point - Here's a link to his sales thread ( http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,143964.0.html:cheers:

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2015, 01:36:36 pm »

IF you want to get the cost down a bit you might look into having Stpcore print them for you on the translite material he currently sells marquees printed on a translite material that is designed for backlighting for $15 which would be a better price point for you than the Ebay marquees you are currently buying and might allow a slightly better price point - Here's a link to his sales thread ( http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,143964.0.html:cheers:

Now that is a hell of a good idea. In fact, I smell a business partnership.  ;)

Another thought came to mind that might save you some time and labor. It might even keep the cost down. You could sell these as kits. Just sell all the wood painted, then give the buyer all the parts and instructions to put it together themselves. You could even "flat-pack" it and save a bit on shipping. Just a thought.

I'm also the type of guy that likes to put things together so I have more of an attachment to it. Kinda like Legos. It wouldn't be any fun if the Lego kit was already assembled when you bought it.  ;)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 01:47:00 pm by vwalbridge »

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2015, 02:34:45 pm »
I'm also the type of guy that likes to put things together so I have more of an attachment to it. Kinda like Legos. It wouldn't be any fun if the Lego kit was already assembled when you bought it.  ;)

I dunno, I think the OP's selling point is his craftsmanship as opposed to wanting to provide kits. Least that's the impression I get.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2015, 02:40:50 pm »
I give it 5 minutes before Haruman is selling knock offs.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2015, 02:44:57 pm »

Actually, HaRuMaN made one for me last year for a Pac-Man marquee. He just hasn't offered it as a kit, but I'm sure he still has the plans. Get with the program, Jerky!

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 08:02:44 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2015, 02:53:24 pm »

Actually, HaRuMaN made one for me last year for a Pac-Man marquee. He just hasn't offered it as a kit, but I'm sure he still has the plans. Get with the program, Jerky!

Rofl

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2015, 02:56:33 pm »

Rofl
Here's a photo of it lit up on my wall, probably sideways (damn you, Tapatalk! )
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 02:58:43 pm by HaRuMaN »

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 08:02:44 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2015, 02:58:54 pm »
Rotated it for you

yotsuya

• Offline Offline

DP Louie

• Offline Offline
  • Jeep! Jeep!
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2015, 06:28:05 pm »

I'm one step ahead of you...  I've already been in contact with Stpcore and I'm waiting on a sample to arrive.  I'm considering using him for the side art printing, as well as printing on another item I'm thinking of producing.  He offered to do the marquees, but since I'm trying to stick with originals that wasn't really an option... but now that I've been pondering it for several days, I might change my opinion.

Yotsuya is correct, I don't think I'd offer DIY kits because well, I take pride in my craftsmanship of these and also because if you're skilled enough to assemble one of these, you're more than capable of building the whole thing  ;D.  I HAVE thought of offering "a la cart" ordering - basic frame only with no side art & no lighting, frame w/side art & no lighting, etc.  I'll have to work out a pricing structure this weekend.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2015, 07:01:11 pm »
I have no money and am not your customer but I think the value of these things is going to be dramatically reduced if you use a reproduction marquee.

:dunno

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2015, 07:22:46 pm »
In my humble opinion:

Original marquees belong in original arcades. These are really awesome pieces of work but they don't need original marquees in them. And you can shave some serious cost by using equally high quality translite.

Rick

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 01:16:55 pm
  • Bartop, Cocktail and Pinball Arcade Cabinets
    • Gameroom Designs Canada
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2015, 01:37:00 pm »
I like the marquee light boxes. A lot. They look classy, and are a great way to show your love for retro gaming. The only drawback to these - as with ANY illuminated art that is mounted on a wall - is the hanging cord, but we've had these issues since the days of neon bar signs. (i.e. the issue is nothing new.)

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2015, 03:36:43 pm »
I like the marquee light boxes. A lot. They look classy, and are a great way to show your love for retro gaming. The only drawback to these - as with ANY illuminated art that is mounted on a wall - is the hanging cord, but we've had these issues since the days of neon bar signs. (i.e. the issue is nothing new.)

That's what the recessed electric boxes are made for - just run wiring behind where the light box is going to be mounted and won't have to see the plug. (that or convert it to use a Lithium Ion rechargeable battery pack - figure if using low wattage led bulbs a battery pack should run it for a long time between recharges )
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 03:38:42 pm by JDFan »

Rick

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 01:16:55 pm
  • Bartop, Cocktail and Pinball Arcade Cabinets
    • Gameroom Designs Canada
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2015, 08:11:11 pm »
That's what the recessed electric boxes are made for - just run wiring behind where the light box is going to be mounted and won't have to see the plug.

Yeah, I've seen these. They're definitely smart, but more often than not, I've seen homeowners just letting the wires hang.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2015, 08:18:33 pm »
That's what the recessed electric boxes are made for - just run wiring behind where the light box is going to be mounted and won't have to see the plug.

Yeah, I've seen these. They're definitely smart, but more often than not, I've seen homeowners just letting the wires hang.

I just use raceway. One nice plastic strip you can paint to match the wall is 100x better than a ton of hanging wires.

ninja2bceen

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 06:41:08 am
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2015, 08:11:46 pm »
Do I see seat covers too? How much do those run and where can I get some good chairs

Tapatalk signature

Ginsu Victim

• Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2015, 09:19:17 pm »
Do I see seat covers too? How much do those run and where can I get some good chairs

Tapatalk signature

Are you talking about those buttons?

big10p

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 01, 2023, 01:46:23 pm
  • Mmmm, arcade classics!
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2015, 02:30:34 pm »
The light boxes look excellent. I love the Pac-Mania embossed marquee. I think the price is about right, especially as I paid £150 for my custom made Pac-Man light box. :/

DP Louie

• Offline Offline
  • Jeep! Jeep!
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2015, 11:23:27 am »

Tapatalk signature

Are you talking about those buttons?

??  Yeah, those are 1" buttons - but it would be cool to make some arcade related bar stool covers...

jmike

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 26, 2023, 05:14:03 am
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2015, 10:13:31 pm »
Nice work. Any chance you can make key chains with specific art?
There was a member here making them but I believe he's not doing them anymore.

Good luck with your sales  :cheers:

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2015, 10:33:03 pm »

Are you in a hurry to get them ?? - If not you can order the keychains blank from China for 5 for $1.40 ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/141687418309?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT ) and then just print your pic on a laser or inkjet and cut to size and insert. I've got 10 on order that should be coming in a couple weeks if you want to see how they come out. (was going to order a couple and saw he was taking a break so looked on Ebay and found those so figured I'd order a couple sets of 5 - worse case I waste the $3 best case I get 10 custom keychains made !

Had one that I got free from a local radio station that I took apart and tested with Missile command and Donkey Kong flyer art and it came out pretty good (attached a pic of it - not sure if it is the same size as the ones I ordered but should be close):

« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 10:36:15 pm by JDFan »

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2015, 10:35:31 pm »

Are you in a hurry to get them ?? - If not you can order the keychains blank from China for 5 for $1.40 ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/141687418309?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT ) and then just print your pic on a laser or inkjet and cut to size and insert. I've got 10 on order that should be coming in a couple weeks if you want to see how they come out. (was going to order a couple and saw he was taking a break so looked on Ebay and found those so figured I'd order a couple sets of 5 - worse case I waste the $3 best case I get 10 custom keychains made !

I've bought those before... they're smaller than the ones OldTymeToys uses.

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2015, 10:39:25 pm »
I've bought those before... they're smaller than the ones OldTymeToys uses.

Do you know what size the ones he had were - There were other larger ones on Ebay for a bit more so could probably find the same size.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2015, 10:45:17 pm »
I dunno.  I have a bunch of his key chains, so I'd love to find the right size.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:19:05 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2015, 10:58:20 pm »
Made one several years ago for a friend's Karate Champ using this one from Amazon.

The artwork is about 1.4" x 2".

Scott

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2015, 10:59:08 pm »

They pop apart easily and can be put back together and the pic is just a paper insert - so should be fairly easy to get a measurement (or even just get the outer dimensions and can search for that dimension as most have similar border sizes)

Here's some 2x3" insert size that are a bit larger for $21 for a 25 pack ( http://www.amazon.com/Acrylic-Photo-Snap-Key-Chain/dp/B00B8VFWZ8/ref=pd_sim_21_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0JB8PGWNKZ66M47HQ4SN )
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 11:01:57 pm by JDFan »

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2015, 11:06:19 pm »

They pop apart easily and can be put back together and the pic is just a paper insert - so should be fairly easy to get a measurement (or even just get the outer dimensions and can search for that dimension as most have similar border sizes)

Here's some 2x3" insert size that are a bit larger for $21 for a 25 pack ( http://www.amazon.com/Acrylic-Photo-Snap-Key-Chain/dp/B00B8VFWZ8/ref=pd_sim_21_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0JB8PGWNKZ66M47HQ4SN )
If it helps, the size of the inserts I design for my keys are 1.377" by 2".

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 11:21:44 pm by JDFan »

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2015, 11:53:27 pm »

Should be similar to these then - ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/10x-Clear-acrylic-keychain-2-x-1-3-8-photo-insert-for-luggage-ID-keyring-51x35mm-/360843329190?hash=item5403f03ea6 )

Figure they say the insert is 1 3/8" ( 1.375" ) x 2" -- not too bad for $0.70 a piece shipped from PA ( and they'll combine shipping if you order several sets.

OR these for $1.89 for 5 from china ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/5PCS-Transparent-Blank-Photo-Picture-Frame-Clear-Keychain-Key-Ring-Fob-5-1X3-2cm/310836080641?_trksid=p2045573.c100034.m2102&_trkparms=aid%3D555012%26algo%3DPW.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D32831%26meid%3Dd99d32eafe6f4e80a2d79a513f67e3d5%26pid%3D100034%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D8%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D360843329190 )

The PA ones say this on the insert: Photo insert dimension 1-1/8 x 1-3/4" (44x28mm)

That's still too small.

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2015, 12:16:24 am »
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 12:19:24 am by JDFan »

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2015, 12:17:41 am »
I wonder if the 1.75 x 2.35 ones would be better?

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:19:05 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2015, 12:28:24 am »
The one I posted above uses that size insert.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005ESGODA

It would be nice to find a bulk rate on them, though.   :dunno

Scott

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2015, 01:15:04 am »
Found some 12 packs for $7.50 on aliexpress ( http://www.aliexpress.com/item/12pcs-Bigger-Blank-Acrylic-Rectangle-Photo-Keychains-Insert-Picture-Logo-Keyrings-Key-tag-2-25-x/1911180131.html ) that look to be the right size !
Size : 57MM*42MM/2.25''*1.65''
Insert size : 49MM*34MM/2''*1.2''

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2015, 11:09:23 pm »
Great news, I took a flier on these, and they ARE the same size as OldTymeToys if you want to roll your own keychains to match the ones you might already have:

TWO Photo Frame Key Chains 1.75" x 2.25" - Keep a Picture of Loved One w/ Keys

The same seller also sells them in lots of 12.... not a bad deal if you need a lot.

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2015, 10:41:30 am »
Great news, I took a flier on these, and they ARE the same size as OldTymeToys if you want to roll your own keychains to match the ones you might already have:

TWO Photo Frame Key Chains 1.75" x 2.25" - Keep a Picture of Loved One w/ Keys

The same seller also sells them in lots of 12.... not a bad deal if you need a lot.

a bit expensive with the shipping for a single but not bad for the 12 pack @ $7 shipped -- Got the smaller ones in the other day and they came out decent but as mentioned are smaller - the second set is a bit better at 1"x 1.75" inserts (smaller set is 1" x 1.5") -- Here's a pic of a few I made up using them : (Excuse the poor quality pic as my camera is pretty bad !)

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2015, 10:44:17 am »
You get TWO in the first link, not a single. But yeah,  the dozen is a great deal.

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 05, 2019, 02:30:42 pm
« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2015, 07:58:55 pm »
I think these look better than a square old box. They make me think arcade cabinet rather than just game.