Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: opinion on artwork brainstorm  (Read 4002 times)

aldub516

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 29, 2018, 03:32:46 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
opinion on artwork brainstorm
« on: August 02, 2015, 07:02:26 pm »
I have a lot of different ideas, but a general theme that id like. I want to wrap my cabinet in something very carnival feeling.. The theme in this art was taken from a band tour poster.. The clowns are from a band most people probably hate lol.. Anyways, this is just the first idea that i decided to go after. Im still tweaking different colors for the stars, or doing without them and keeping it simpler with the clown and top text..  Ideally, while i get the creative juices going, id like to create a very old school carny looking artwork.. Muted 70's looking colors.. imagine old school carny game signs and such. Some very bright and in your face text, almost as if you went to a carnival in the 60's and saw a mame machine there. This is one of my more colorful and our there ideas, which i know isnt every enthusiast particular look. My photoshop skills are not the worst, but not designer level. Ideally id like a more traditional arcade art look, while incorporating some kind of carny/clown element. Maybe even some old bozo the clown type art, with a grungier texture. Anyways, enough ranting. Out of probably 7 ideas for my general theme, this is the first i put together as a start. If anyone even cares ill try to update this with my ideas and such. Im extremely excited to not only try installing formica siding for the first time,but full side art as well. Criticism is expected, compliments are welcome, and all input is appreciated :)

free upload pictures

aldub516

• Offline Offline
Re: opinion on artwork brainstorm
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 07:12:26 pm »
I was very inspired by this album cover.. Of course minus the elements of the actual bands, i LOVE the classic muted colors. I love the banner up top. If i could mimmick this album covers look, just changed it to relevant arcade theme, id be a very very happy person. Im playing with filters, and different effects to get that muted look. Ive never out sourced artwork and dont want to start now. But for opinions, if i could nail this look, for a side and front base art wrap, do you think it could look cool?

screenshot software

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 07:21:05 pm »
Tough call, I like the style but I hate ICP more than republicans hate poor people.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

aldub516

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 07:35:01 pm »
do me one favor lmao, do not group me in with any known stereotype or idea of icp fan.. Ive been following them since 1996, as hardcore as a fan gets, minus the stereotype haha.. Call me a seasoned, mature juggalo....perhaps? 

aldub516

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2015, 07:35:55 pm »
and dont lie pal, you know you got your name from ICP.. The great milenko? pfffff...  lol  :cheers:

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2015, 07:38:48 pm »
and dont lie pal, you know you got your name from ICP.. The great milenko? pfffff...  lol  :cheers:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dean_Malenko

Nephasth

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2015, 07:55:49 pm »
Call me a seasoned, mature juggalo....perhaps?

You're not making yourself sound any better.

aldub516

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2015, 08:53:37 pm »
Yea yea, trust me after almost 20 years I've heard it all. Just saying there's a distinct stereotype about the fans... I was into it before said stereotypes. Any hoot endless Icp jokes aside, I don't want it Icp themed. I simply like the look of those cartoon clowns. As for the album art idea,
I don't want anything to do with Icp or anything, I just dig the color scheme and the use of the banners, and old clown images. I'm just trying for an old school vintage carny look. Figured I'd run some ideas by for fun. This particular idea just came together as a super bright fun image and I thought it could work

Nephasth

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2015, 10:19:55 pm »
I was into it before said stereotypes.

Oh, you're one of those hipster juggalos. Just keep diggin' your hole...

I don't want anything to do with Icp or anything...

Yet ICP is plastered all over that... Make up your mind.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 10:22:06 pm by Nephasth »

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 11:03:32 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2015, 10:22:51 pm »
I actually kinda dig the theme and look, minus the juggalo, of course. But you might be on to something here. Keep tryin'. :cheers:
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 11:03:32 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2015, 10:24:01 pm »
Actually, what about the wicked looked clown circle icon in the upper left hand corner of the tour poster? Try it with that instead of the clown.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

aldub516

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2015, 11:23:33 pm »
Hmmm. Haven't had someone  attempt to hate my music so much since middle school.. It's nostalgic.. As for your suggestion of making my mind up about not being Icp related,
There's no mind to make up.... The idea I showed has two cartoon clowns which most people wouldn't immediately associate with Icp.. They are two cool looking cartoon clowns that really pop out in art.. Minus the clown paint it doesn't really scream Icp... As for my idea about the cover art, I clearly explained multiple times that I don't want anything about it having to do with the actual content of the album cover, and that I strictly liked the color scheme and classic side show kind of look.. So while I get that you're digging for 2 decade old Icp jokes, there's nothin about either of my ideas that resemble or represent Icp.... Unless you really wanna dig and say every person will see the cartoon clowns and say "OMG AN ICP ARCADE MACHINE"... To everyone else, thank you for actual input. As for the hipster Juggalo thing... No, it's more like I'm 30 years old and happen to like a band since I was younger, and don't like to associate myself with a reputation some of the fans have..  Again buddy, the Icp hate died for me about 15 years ago.. Keep it movin

Nephasth

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2015, 11:28:36 pm »
Pretty defensive... :lol

there's nothin about either of my ideas that resemble or represent Icp....

Except for the fact you used the EXACT face paint the band members use. Nope, no resemblance at all. ::)

Go the serial killer clown route, like Carnevil or something. Art looks good, but you absolutely cannot say that those clowns are not ICP clowns. Lose their face paint and even the dreads, then you'll be going down a better path with your art.

Before you get your panties twisted further, don't forget that you said it, not me...
Criticism is expected, compliments are welcome, and all input is appreciated :)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 11:32:34 pm by Nephasth »

aldub516

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2015, 11:51:46 pm »
Ok. So I'll entertain your perspective. Yes, the clowns are 100% Icp graphics ..they were used in 1998 for a promotion.. yes I've been a big Icp fan for a long time. I used them as a simple idea. I could easily replace them with those vintage bozo clown faces on the album cover. Just an idea. But I figured if I'm going the big bright route, they would look cool while not writing "INSANE CLOWN POSSE MAME MACHINE" across the top. I happened to reference an Icp album art but wanted to remove all aspects of Icp from it, which I said. It's going in my living room. I'm not not acknowledging that it's not an actual Icp graphic.. I just think it's possible to look at it, and like or dislike it without the Icp association. I don't care to defend music, when I'm talking Formica and artwork lol. I do get defensive, just by nature. We're all good chief. As I said my number one goal would be a simpler cleaner theme utilizing the STYLE of the album art. Faded traditional clown art, sideshowesque banners and text. It's gonna take some dabbling with photoshop for some of those dull and faded textures
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 11:54:11 pm by aldub516 »

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2015, 12:48:31 am »
I think the logo screams Super Mario World just a tinge too much for the clown theme. Maybe experiment with some other fonts a bit.

You want to creep people out. Put Snacks 'n Jaxson on your cab  ;D

Nephasth

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2015, 01:14:00 am »
Ok, so let's recap...

The clowns are from a band most people probably hate lol..
So, you put ICP clowns on your sideart.
I don't want it Icp themed. I don't want anything to do with Icp or anything...
But you definitely don't want your sideart to have anything to do with ICP.
there's nothin about either of my ideas that resemble or represent Icp....
The ICP clowns you used do NOT represent ICP.
the clowns are 100% Icp graphics ..they were used in 1998 for a promotion..

Oh wait, they are in fact ICP clowns that you stole.
Ive never out sourced artwork and dont want to start now.
You'll never have to outsource artwork when you steal the work of others.
Faded traditional clown art, sideshowesque banners and text. It's gonna take some dabbling with photoshop for some of those dull and faded textures
Keep googling, you'll find something else to steal soon enough.

Nope, I'm pretty sure you fit the juggalo stereotype perfectly. Well, other juggalos would probably call you a poser...

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2015, 07:26:45 am »
Sorry I brought up ICP :/

When I saw your first post my initial thought was "ugh that looks like ICP". It wasnt until your second post that it was confirmed that was ICP. That being said, I think this will help you since you said you dont want to outsource art:

There is more than 1 part to the tutorial

aldub516

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2015, 07:59:31 am »
No worries lol.. Thank you for that link! I'm going to watch them tonight.. Seems like it would hit the nail on the head, at least for giving all the images that feel that I'm looking for! That's why I love these boards, people actually help. I appreciate you finding that link. Hopefully I can update this a few times with my ideas and finally
Have a real product to show at the end. The great malenko holds it down  :cheers:

aldub516

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2015, 08:11:56 am »
As for the Mario font, I completely agree! I was try to mimick a particular logo from the said promo material and as far as I can tell it is almost exactly the Mario font lol. Again this is my first rough draft of an idea. I thought it would be cool to get input as well as share my progress up until a final printed and installed artwork. I shall work on changing the font, and probably go after my other idea. Thanks for the interest

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:42:45 pm
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2015, 09:05:58 am »
I like the third one down.  I don't like the phrase "super machine".
A lot of noobs want to label their machine as the ultimate, all encompassing, best thing ever.
It reminds me of this:

aldub516

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2015, 09:24:48 am »
To explain the text, back in 1998 they did a tour called the "Juggalo funhouse supershow" and a lot of the promo for that tour was super bright and cartoony.
I was trying to somewhat mimick the whole scheme. . But you make a very valid point with that..inadvertently I became the "super king arcade best of all" cabinet guys.  I will rework the text and remove that part, I agree if you didn't know what I was going for, it would sound tacky and corny. Thank you for your thoughts

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2015, 09:46:04 am »
If you use Japanese buttons with clear plunger covers, you can print custom button inserts on full sheet Avery clear labels.
The colors come through really well.  See my post in this thread: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,146283.msg1522189.html#msg1522189

I think the swirl pattern from the circles on the flyer would look cool on admin or player start buttons.
If you really want to work the ICP angle, you could put a meat cleaver guy next to player 1 start and two meat cleaver guys next to player 2 start.
It would be similar to how machines from the early 80's were done.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 10:11:24 am by BadMouth »

Typefighter01

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 29, 2023, 09:10:21 pm
  • Back I guess...
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2015, 09:46:41 am »
Whoop-Whoop!

Whats up Juggalo  :cheers:

I want to wrap my virtual pincab in ICP themed art, just haven't found the time. Tilt-a-whirl is my favorite track and the first song I ever heard was the Amazing Maze (think this track was released inside one of their comic books).

Who gives a ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- whether it is straight up ICP themed or not, I know you are going "Carnival" themed, but if it pulls heavily from known ICP art and album covers, then so be it. Check out Tom Wood, he does some wicked ICP art based on the Jokers Cards.

I quit wasting my time defending ICP along time ago, if anyone took two seconds to listen to their lyrics they would find that the clowns are against racism, poverty, wife/child abuse and hard drugs (yes, they talk about weed all the time, not me cup of tea...mehhh). If someone does not like them, it is not meant for them, just like Rod Steward isn't meant for me.

The clowns have said many times that they have no issues fans using their art for fan projects, they just ask that you don't sell it.

Here is a jersey I made a few years ago. Shagg's is my fav, so he is on the back with the hatchet man. I wanted a jersey with the old "Psycho Pathic" logo, but they just don't make them anymore, so I made me own. At 40, you would call me a mature seasoned Juggalo also...I will be watching.

EDIT: Never even gave my opinion on your sideart,  :dizzy: (too busy ranting). I really like the grungy and distressed look you have and the cartoony versions of Jay and Shaggs work well. As for "Super Machine", thats exactly the kind of ridiculous title they would put on an arcade cab if they ever made one...I would leave it  :burgerking:

aldub516

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2015, 10:21:34 am »
And the hole gets dug 30 feet deeper haha. Thanks for the compliments and support. I think the end result will look a lot different. I personally love following peoples projects from the drawing board till final product so i started this. And obviously it's my machine so any Icp or other representation does not matter to me. I just wanted an unbiased opinion on the art direction

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 08, 2023, 02:40:58 pm
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2015, 10:48:17 am »
Which level of hell is this?

aldub516

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2015, 11:28:49 am »
I'm shocked at how many minds I've blown by posting arcade art with 2 cartoon clowns on the side lol....

Nephasth

« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2015, 11:34:24 am »
Which level of hell is this?

Eighth Circle - Bolgia 7
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 11:36:04 am by Nephasth »

aldub516

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2015, 04:10:15 pm »
so i did some tweaking and as always, the more you work on it the more it evolves. This is a slightly changed up idea. I left the top banners with no text as im still deciding. I found a few nice "carny" type fonts that look nice, and was thinking something like "THE MARVELOUS MAME MACHINE" "THE MARVELOUS ARCADE FUNHOUSE" or something like that. While i understand the "super machine greatest mame machine ever" text in art is lame, my particular theme being old carnival/midway, it goes with it. Im thinking of changing the gradient in the "come one come all" to stand out more. To kind of curb some criticism directly on these examples, id like a general opinion of the direction.. I know most dont like the cartoon clown, and he can easily be removed. But what do you think of the spiral art, the slightly dirty/mold textures around the edge, and of course the big logo with the text banners. Everything can be moved around easily. I know some might like the more "abstract" simple art like the two randomly placed spirals on the side, as opposed to super pop out art like the cartoon clown on the centered spiral. Im generally leaning in this direction/color scheme and idea. Anyone dig where im going with this?  Thanks malenko for that tutorial too! learned some nifty stuff from it, i appreciate you looking that up

image hosting

Typefighter01

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 29, 2023, 09:10:21 pm
  • Back I guess...
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2015, 05:14:05 pm »
I like everything about example number #1 except for the banner (it doesn't have the same distressed look as the rest of the cab so feels out of place) and I like "Come one, come all", but I would like to see it written on the same plane and with the same font sizing, small on the left and larger on the right.

I would save the "Marvelous Arcade Funhouse" for the marquee. Good tweaking, keep at it.

aldub516

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2015, 05:42:14 pm »
i tweaked the effect on the banner part to have the distressed look. Im not happy with the come one come all, but after a a few hours of playing with ideas, im burnt out for the day. Ill continue to refine and change my ideas. Thanks for your ideas, especially i didnt realize i left the banners looking plain and standing out

image url

Green Giant

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 29, 2016, 06:50:57 pm
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2015, 07:10:09 pm »
If you use Japanese buttons with clear plunger covers, you can print custom button inserts on full sheet Avery clear labels.
The colors come through really well.  See my post in this thread: Reclassify Income 7/29/2015 To 8/2/2015

I think the swirl pattern from the circles on the flyer would look cool on admin or player start buttons.
If you really want to work the ICP angle, you could put a meat cleaver guy next to player 1 start and two meat cleaver guys next to player 2 start.
It would be similar to how machines from the early 80's were done.
Can you elaborate on that link you posted?  I can't follow the explanation of the button inserts.
"He lives down there in his valley,
The cat stands tall and green,
Well, he ain't no prize, and there's no women his size,
And that's why the cat's so mean"
Toxic Arcade, my first build

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2015, 10:12:00 am »
Can you elaborate on that link you posted?  I can't follow the explanation of the button inserts.

Oops, fixed.
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,146283.msg1522189.html#msg1522189

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2015, 10:19:16 am »
The colors come through really well.  See my post in this thread: Reclassify Income 7/29/2015 To 8/2/2015

Spending time here in between the spreadsheets?

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2015, 10:26:51 am »

Spending time here in between the spreadsheets?

I wouldn't be on BYOAC nearly as much if not for being on it at work.  >:D
I've told my boss that it keeps me sane and the alternative is that I go insane, blow up, and walk off the job.

aldub516

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2015, 07:36:41 pm »
so at the risk of hatred, i went ahead and pulled the trigger on the cp art. The side im still deciding on. No explanation needed..this is where my carnival theme took me. The only thing missing is the spinner which will be the top center where it says "spin to win". Some may not be a huge fan of the blood splatter backround for the player buttons. I personally like it, BUT my main reasoning for using that type of art for the buttons, i drilled the player buttons before i started sketching in photoshop. Ive always drilled first and just did art later on my earlier novice builds. Drilling it first didnt allow me to accurately add art around those buttons so i went with something that the buttons can just fall into and look good

image url upload

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2024, 12:40:25 pm
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2015, 08:15:30 pm »
Nice wrist crusher 4 way.  I'm sure trackball games will be super fun.

aldub516

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2015, 10:58:31 pm »
Such marks lol. Wrist crusher? How big is your wrist. Even looking at the pics how does it appear to not have room to use the 4 way?  I have another cp with the exact layout with zero problem playing the trackball games I play, and I play a lot of 4 way games.. I've never had a single person have a problem using any of the control setups. As mashed as it may look it was all done with comfortability in mind. All the controls id like are there and all play very comfortably. I appreciate the criticism as always, but I promise it's neither a wrist crusher or a problem with trackball games. And I put both to plenty use.

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2024, 12:40:25 pm
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2015, 11:15:37 pm »
Glad you can work with it, I never would have put it there.

Switchable joys are pretty darn good these day I'm told.

aldub516

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2015, 11:22:06 pm »
I didn't mean to sound like a dick. I just thought as a arcade building forum there would've been a more productive comment. But I do understand your view. As I said I can say I can rock out with crystal castle all day and the 4 way has more than enough play room. I just dig The setup and it worked in the past.

Nephasth

« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2015, 11:26:43 pm »
I just thought as a arcade building forum there would've been a more productive comment.

Here you go!