Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Windows 10  (Read 7635 times)

SavannahLion

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2015, 02:28:15 am
Re: Windows 10
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2015, 06:07:38 pm »
An update for anyone this concerns (probably only me at this point).  Visual Studio 6 and it's tools DO work on 10.  The installer unfortunately does not due to some ridiculous decision by Microsoft to remove the stand alone java dll needed for the installer program.  There is a visual studio installer for win 10 though and if you use it things install fine.

I guess that means I can update pretty soon.

That's good to know. I have Studio 2013 I'm doing some ports with.

I've heard rumors about forced advertisement such as from here: http://linuxfonts.narod.ru/why-windows-10-sucks.html

Anyone have experience with that?

The Windows 8 advertisements suck ass and they're annoying as ---fudgesicle---. But at least you can get rid of or hide them more or less. That's going to suck if I keep getting "suggestions" in Windows 10. It's one of the biggest things that pisses me off about the stupid Xbox dashboard. It's on every damn page and my kids keep pestering me to get game X or Y that's being advertised. Annoying as hell that they're penetrating where they have no business going.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 06:10:47 pm by SavannahLion »

Slippyblade

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2015, 06:22:15 pm »
It's not made up.  Win10 is an advertising/adware platform for Microsoft.  I didn't see most of it during the pre-release, but the actual release version is damn near spyware.  It harvests more data about you than you'd believe and some of it cannot be shut off.  Some of it can be shutoff, but will turn itself back on after an undetermined time.

Haze

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2023, 08:30:02 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
    • MAME Development Blog
« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2015, 07:27:10 pm »
It's not made up.  Win10 is an advertising/adware platform for Microsoft.  I didn't see most of it during the pre-release, but the actual release version is damn near spyware.  It harvests more data about you than you'd believe and some of it cannot be shut off.  Some of it can be shutoff, but will turn itself back on after an undetermined time.

Yeah, I put it on my spare box as a Win 7 upgrade.

It might have a 'Start Menu' but the OS is as schizophrenic as Windows 8 was, there's new interface stuff plastered everywhere offering more limited versions of the functionality the old dialogs offered, leaving you to have to dig down (Sometimes 2 layers of restricted ways of doing things) before you get to the dialogs that actually work, which are in most cases the same as the ones in 7.

Also if you're unfortunate enough to still have the 'Get Windows 10' application installed on Windows 7 it's turned into something that acts more like a ad-ware virus since the launch, bombarding you with big 'RESERVE YOUR WINDOWS 10' popups at every opportunity rather than small bubble notifications, hardly instils confidence.

People have said it's fast and more responsive, but as an upgrade on an old install it's still just as sluggish as that old install ever was, and frankly the argument that it's fast and snappier based on a fresh install is invalid, because every Windows OS is fast and snappy on a fresh install, I'd consider the state of it on an 'upgrade install' to be a more accurate reflection of where it will be in a few months, just like every other version.  People said the same about Windows 8, most people I know with Windows 8 are now cursing it because it runs like a 3 legged dog after a year of use.

I guess it will be popular, people have been sucked into the hype train (and it does appear to give people who pirated Win7 an opportunity to get a proper licensed version - despite what is claimed it apparently updates and activates just fine from quite a lot of non-legit copies) but it's really not an improvement over Windows 8, and the few improvements Windows 8 had over 7 (nicer file copy dialogs with pause is one I do actually really like) are outweighed by the tragedy that is the waste of space UI changes that have been plastered haphazardly on top of the bits you actually want to get to.

The forced Windows updates are also likely to be annoying.

Glad I tried it on my spare machine, I'll probably leave it on that one because it's a junk machine anyway, but I'm struggling to justify converting my main machine over even with the price of 'free'

« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 07:28:43 pm by Haze »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2015, 07:38:58 pm »
What ads are you referring to?  I've been running it for a couple of days and I haven't really noticed any.  I don't use hardly any of the metro apps though... if you upgrade from win 7 all the old apps are still there, so I'm using live mail, ect...

I have noticed some oddities with upgrading though....  For instance, Cortana doesn't seem to function properly on this machine.  She works just fine, but when you ask her to set a reminder, ect she never gets around to actually reminding me.  Ironically she works perfect on the laptop, but that's worthless because I'm not talking to my computer in public.  Also a few things seem to be missing or buried really deep... I tried to pin a folder to the frequent use section of explorer and it wouldn't let me... right clicking on an app in the taskbar doesn't allow me to open another instance of the app, ect. 

I'm sticking with it for now though because it seems to manage system resources much better. 

I mentioned this a LOOOONG time ago though... windows 10 purpose is to get the Microsoft store on everyone's desktop and that's why it's free.  They tried to do it once with windows live and again with win 8 and now they are so desperate they are giving the OS away for free.  The xbox 360 and Xbox one have the same store, as does window phones.  Microsoft's current business strategy is to become a marketplace like iTunes or steam and make money that way. 

Most of the data mining is for Cortana btw.... I did a bit of hacking/investigation and her brain's are mostly server-side.  She gets more accurate by remembering phrases you use a lot and guessing at your question based on what you'd usually ask.  What that does is take a kind of crappy voice recognition program and make it better.  I'm sure a lot of people won't be comfortable with all the mining once it gets out, but I sort of understand why they did it. 

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 11:03:32 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2015, 08:09:28 pm »
Hey, does anybody know a way I can install this faster without having to wait?

FFS.

I don't notice any extra spyware, targeted advertising, or anything like that with Windows 10. I don't feel like Big Brother is watching me or anything like that. It works just fine. If you're one of those people that spells Windows with a dollar sign, keep Raging Against the Machine.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Slippyblade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2015, 08:17:34 pm »
Yots, you won't notice the extra spyware.  It's because Windows is background harvesting nearly EVERYTHING and then uploading it.  Like Howard said, it is used with Cortana a lot, but I guarantee you that Microsoft will be selling data bundles as well.  Not to mention that Windows now uses a background torrent client to stream updates out to other users thus eating your bandwidth...  I thought that was rather genius, and dubious as hell.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2015, 08:24:18 pm »
Yots, you won't notice the extra spyware.  It's because Windows is background harvesting nearly EVERYTHING and then uploading it.  Like Howard said, it is used with Cortana a lot, but I guarantee you that Microsoft will be selling data bundles as well.  Not to mention that Windows now uses a background torrent client to stream updates out to other users thus eating your bandwidth...  I thought that was rather genius, and dubious as hell.

I turned the automatic background torrent client off. One click.

I don't use Cortana.

If they're harvesting info on me, someone at M$ is going to sift through a pile of arcade stuff and chunky chick pr0n. :dunno:

But my computer works just fine.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2015, 10:39:39 pm »
Yeah I hate to tell people this, but the days of privacy are gone, for better or for worse.  google, yahoo and all the major search engines (so not bing... heh, sorry I had to) spy on us server-side.  The amount of data Microsoft gets isn't even close to what they've stolen.  The only difference is google has a really good public image, so people don't seem to care. 

The os just seems to run better though, and that's the important thing.  A lot of window's functions are tied to the web browser and now that all apps use edge things are snappier.  Don't get me wrong, I don't think edge cuts it as a browser, but it is fast and a lot more secure and compliant than IE, so if nothing else that is reason to upgrade. 

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:32:01 pm
« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2015, 12:11:42 am »
Not to mention that Windows now uses a background torrent client to stream updates out to other users thus eating your bandwidth...  I thought that was rather genius, and dubious as hell.

This is enterprise level technology making its way to the personal desktop land.  Its called BranchCache, its a feature in SCCM 2012.

Yenome

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 01:03:06 am
  • Punch a fish. Make a wish
« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2015, 02:02:00 am »
Ive had windows 10 on my main rig since release. not a single issue has made it self known. I play archeage which believe it or not taxes the computer. mame has been running fine with 162, As for upgradeing other systems i upgraded my arcade machine and someones laptop all with the download exe i got for my main system. your copy of windows 7/8 must be active in order to run it but it upgraded just fine past the july 29th deadline that M$ said. Now we need to wait and see how well DX12 will hold up to the hype.
My Gf made me put a sig up. /whipped

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2015, 03:54:10 am »
I've ran into a few, but they seem to be linked to the fact that I upgraded my existing setup instead of doing a clean install.  Like right-clicking on taskbar stuff didn't work and I couldn't pin stuff to the file explorer.  Turns out they didn't work because my user profile from win 7 was partially corrupted.  Deleting a few temp files fixed that.  Right now I'm trying to figure out why things I pin to the start menu aren't showing up.  I bet it's a similar issue.  Also for whatever reason "hey Cortana" doesn't work on this machine.  It might be the cheap mic I'm using. 

But it's faster and things work better.... in general at least.  The metro apps are mostly garbage and they try to push them on you hard, but if you upgrade like I did all your old apps (email client, media player, ect) are still in tact so you can just remove them from the start menu and use your favorite programs instead. 

Spanjed

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 15, 2015, 04:25:51 am
« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2015, 04:06:23 am »
Took the step to update all my 3 machines:

2x Windows 7 -> 10
1x Windows 8 -> 10

For me it was a blast to see the systems perform better now (games, etc...)

On 1 system I didn't get a notification but after checking for updates (windows update) there it was.... ;)

Not to worried about data collecting by Microsoft :)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2015, 12:18:36 pm »
Something I noticed the other day.... the "X" button on xbox controllers is no longer worthless!  Pressing the guide button brings up the "xbox" menu, allowing you to record game footage, take snapshots, ect....  It's a little bare bones, but still pretty nifty and considering the whole xbox streaming thing was a last minute addition, they might add more features in the future.

jacklance

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 18, 2015, 02:18:53 am
  • Geek
    • None
« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2015, 02:08:36 am »
Had a issue like this with my 7990 and eyefinity. Enabling cursor trail fixed it for me.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #54 on: August 18, 2015, 04:32:29 am »
So more windows 10 oddities and features.  Apparently my xbox one and pc are now linked.  When I get achievements they are listed in the windows 10 message cache and I can read about them there.  Kind of neat... or annoying depending upon who uses your computer. 

Users of Logitech wheels..... the old profiler no longer works in windows 10.  You need at least 1.5 installed.  if your device doesn't support 1.5 then it won't work.   

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:32:01 pm
« Reply #55 on: August 18, 2015, 09:14:09 am »
Users of Logitech wheels..... the old profiler no longer works in windows 10.  You need at least 1.5 installed.  if your device doesn't support 1.5 then it won't work.

Profiler version 5.10.127 came out 6/2010 ?    ???

version 1.5 is ancient... 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #56 on: August 18, 2015, 12:31:33 pm »
I must have been a bit lisdexic last night.  I mean 5.10

headkaze

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 14, 2023, 02:00:48 am
  • 0x2b|~0x2b?
« Reply #57 on: August 18, 2015, 03:25:29 pm »

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #58 on: August 18, 2015, 03:39:46 pm »
Ok, I finally got my notification that the upgrade is ready.
Sorry I didn't try the download link, I just really haven't had time.
I'm going to take the plunge and go for it, hopefully I wont lose anything.
If I'm not around here for a few days you can probably guess what happened.

JDFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #59 on: August 18, 2015, 04:03:10 pm »
Windows 10 won't run old games with dodgy copy protection

Funny how after all these years MS finally admits that those securom and safedisk DRM are viruses at heart and are now suggesting that people use the old cracks to circumvent them to be able to play the old games you paid for since the companies that included them can't be bothered to release patches since they already have your money and could care less if you can still play them.

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #60 on: August 18, 2015, 06:40:57 pm »
Yeah that does suck.

Well I'm back up and running with 10.
Trying to get the feel for it.
I started at 3:00 PM, had to mow the yard, got done at 5:00 PM, came back in and it was ready to set everything up, so the install process took less than 2 hours.

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 01:18:39 pm
« Reply #61 on: August 18, 2015, 06:45:20 pm »
Yots, how do you turn off branchcache?

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #62 on: August 18, 2015, 08:28:35 pm »
Yots, how do you turn off branchcache?

System->Update & Security->Windows Update->Advanced Options->Choose How Updates Are Delivered->Turn slider to OFF on Updates From More Than One Place.

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 01:18:39 pm
« Reply #63 on: August 18, 2015, 09:03:42 pm »
Thanks.

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #64 on: August 18, 2015, 09:44:55 pm »
Ok, I just tried to post some pics in my RPi NES thread and the image icon is not posting, neither are any of the emoticons.
Is anyone else seeing this? Or is there a setting in Win 10 I need to adjust?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #65 on: August 18, 2015, 10:29:31 pm »
You are using Edge right?  Don't use Edge... it isn't finished yet.  That being said don't use IE either... it's painfully slow in windows 10.  Firefox to the rescue!

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #66 on: August 18, 2015, 10:32:45 pm »
You are using Edge right?  Don't use Edge... it isn't finished yet.  That being said don't use IE either... it's painfully slow in windows 10.  Firefox to the rescue!

Ok.
Yes I was using Edge, let me try Firefox.
BTW, If I posted the tags manually they work. (Have to type in the tag).

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #67 on: August 18, 2015, 10:34:43 pm »
Ok, testing now with Firefox:

;D

And it works!
Thanks Howard.

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2021, 01:33:52 pm
« Reply #68 on: August 24, 2015, 11:00:49 pm »
3 systems here, all perfect. Loving Windows 10.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #69 on: August 25, 2015, 07:17:54 am »
I'm loving the interconnectivity.  Having both the cloud and your Microsoft account universal across all PCs solves a lot of issues.  Now no matter which computer I'm using my files are all there, I can log into my xbox from any machine, ect. 

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:01:53 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #70 on: August 25, 2015, 09:58:46 am »
Is there a way to download but not install it?  I'm not convinced I want to upgrade my Win 7 desktop but it keeps downloading and deleting it when I tell it I want to upgrade later.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #71 on: August 25, 2015, 10:10:17 am »
Look for the link to the ISO that I provided like weeks ago.

Slippyblade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #72 on: August 25, 2015, 02:59:09 pm »

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #73 on: August 25, 2015, 03:53:21 pm »
Is there a way to download but not install it?  I'm not convinced I want to upgrade my Win 7 desktop but it keeps downloading and deleting it when I tell it I want to upgrade later.

You can download the ISO directly from Microsoft if you don't want to wait. That's what I did. Burning it to disc now, will upgrade in the next hour or so.

Link:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:01:53 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #74 on: August 25, 2015, 03:58:19 pm »
My concern is that if I tell Windows 7 that I don't want to upgrade, I'm somehow going to lose my ability to do it for free down the road. 

The damn thing is prompting me to update every time I turn on the machine now. 

I suppose I'll guinea pig the Windows 8 laptop and see if I can live with it.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #75 on: August 25, 2015, 03:59:33 pm »
My concern is that if I tell Windows 7 that I don't want to upgrade, I'm somehow going to lose my ability to do it for free down the road. 

The damn thing is prompting me to update every time I turn on the machine now. 

I suppose I'll guinea pig the Windows 8 laptop and see if I can live with it.

I assume if you signed up for it,  you should be good to go as long as you do it sometime before the free period runs out.

DudeRegular

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 23, 2024, 10:50:27 pm
  • I have no idea what I am doing
« Reply #76 on: August 25, 2015, 09:36:30 pm »
You dont need the invite or signup thing to update to 10. You can go directly to the link and download the installer.

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2021, 12:25:59 am
  • Technician
« Reply #77 on: September 04, 2015, 03:30:21 pm »
I've been having troubles with my backup (guinea pig) laptop after upgrading to Windows 10. I only did my emergency spare laptop in case of problems and I'm glad I only "upgraded" one machine. What happened was several months ago this particular 2007 Compaq Presario C502 laptop had the hard drive crash. It was running Vista Home Premium. So I bought a replacement hard drive on ebay and a legitimate Windows 7 disc & license. Upgraded this machine to 7 with no problems as a clean install. It performed perfectly fine and I was very happy. This qualified me for the free update to Windows 10. So then I upgraded to 10 and the first thing was I lost all sound. Then it started to do random crashes/lockups. Also notice excessive battery consumption.

After some help from Microsoft, I found out Windows 10 was installing the wrong (old outdated) audio driver for my laptop. He told me to use the Windows 10 built in Microsoft audio driver not the original Conexant Audio driver. That Microsoft driver did the trick and all my sound is back again. A couple of the Windows updates fixed the crashes and battery problems. My lockup problems, which at first I thought were caused by Firefox, were actually being caused by Avast Anti-Virus. I had read about other people having trouble lately with Avast and ended up removing Avast. Most people switched to Avira free anti-virus and the lockups were cured. Well that's what I did too. Dumped Avast and switched to Avira instead. Computer is running fine now.

One of my biggest thing I don't like about 10 is that everything has been moved and/or had the names of things changed. Can't find things anymore. I'm going to install Classic Shell and make this computer look like an XP machine. Another thing was the removal of DVD playing functionality. I ended up installing the free "VLC Media Player" program and can once again watch DVD movies on this laptop.

All in all, I would give Windows 10 a rating of "so-so". I still think Windows 7 was much better and should have left this laptop on 7.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 03:33:15 pm by Ken Layton »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #78 on: September 04, 2015, 04:05:57 pm »
Don't take this the wrong way, but you installed a new OS on really old hardware.  The issues you had are to be expected.  Also avast is crap, you should probably switch to AVG which is what you should have been using all along.  ;)

The issues I mentioned in previous posts?  All gone....  I just logged in one day and they were fixed.  I think I rather like this continual updates thing as opposed to the old "once a month, if you are lucky". 

I'm not defending the OS though, merely clarifying.  It still has it's quirks.  I'm just saying that it's barely a month old and we should give it some time.  The one thing I'll agree completely with you on is the fact that with old hardware at least, it has some driver issues.  I think every single solitary windows ever has had this problem initially though, so hopefully it will get sorted out. 

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2021, 12:25:59 am
  • Technician
« Reply #79 on: September 05, 2015, 12:42:01 am »
Howard: I understand about the old hardware and I used the Windows 10 upgrade advisor to check the computer out before hand. My Windows 10 machine is running fine now. :) I will keep it on 10, but in general, I'm not exactly thrilled with 10.

Heck, my main laptop is running Vista Home Premium and I've had virtually no problems with it. This computer is in use at least 12 hours a day, every day.

My backup laptop is the one which started it's life on Vista, but after the hard drive crashed got upgraded to Windows 7 then to 10. That computer gets used once a week for about 6 hours just to keep the battery charged.

My third laptop still runs Windows 98SE and I no longer connect it to the internet. I use that one once a week to scan manuals and doctor the scans up with a digital "cleanup" of the scans. This one has Paperport 5.0 software to operate the scanner.