Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Electronics workbench talk (was "Hakko 888D")  (Read 25061 times)

behrmr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2021, 09:17:13 am
Re: Electronics workbench talk (was "Hakko 888D")
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2015, 01:34:50 pm »
Dollar store ice cube trays, cupcake pans, and bread pans, work great for parts.

The soldaput style sucker works well (wick to get what it misses).  I have this cheapo and it really works great.  Search amazon for "Blue Sucking Vacuum Desoldering Pump Solder Sucker Remover Tool".

Slippyblade

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2015, 02:33:30 pm »
For screws and small parts I use the freebie 7 day pill containers from the local pharmacy.

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:10:48 pm
« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2015, 03:13:09 pm »
Here's my electronics work bench shortly after it was built:

Nothing but a sheet of melamine, iron-on edge banding & 2x4's from Lowes.  I had the melamine sections cut at the store.
(EDIT: Now that I think about it, I think the top shelf was purchased as a separate shelf)
Spools of wire and piles of other crap were added after.  It's currently buried due to remodeling.  (everything from upstairs is piled into the basement)
The thing on the left is an awesome 0-36V HP power supply that came from the factory I used to work at before it closed down. (I asked for it, didn't just walk out with it.)

I'm still a newb, but I can replace parts that look burnt or broken.
I've managed to fix two free flatscreen TVs by replacing caps and I did get the wah pedal shown earlier working by replacing a resistor and cap.

Looking for that pic, I came across this other thread:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,130789.msg1339516.html#msg1339516
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 03:42:19 pm by BadMouth »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2015, 03:43:30 pm »
That's a nice, clean, workbench man.  I wish I could keep my crap that uncluttered.  Every time I start on something it looks like a hurricane went through.

Slippyblade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2015, 03:54:24 pm »
Every time I start on something it looks like a hurricane went through.
Quoted for the greatest truth ever told.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 05:58:14 pm by Slippyblade »

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2015, 04:10:58 pm »
That's a nice, clean, workbench man.  I wish I could keep my crap that uncluttered.  Every time I start on something it looks like a hurricane went through.
Quoted for the greatest truth ever told.

Here's my electronics work bench shortly after it was built

Note in the pic I posted of the Panavise in use, there is barely enough empty space to work.
That space was created by using my forearm to push everything back like a toy dozer in a coin pusher machine  ;) :

As stated, it's an extra mess at the moment.  I try to keep at least the front 24" clear.
I also built a 4'x6' melamine table with a cutting mat to work on "clean" stuff like fabrics and custom framing.
I had to disassemble it because it was in the way of making some repairs to the house.
I'm friggin' missing that thing bad.

I'm very bad about work surfaces getting piled up.  I'm building a 12ft long desk upstairs so 2/3rds of it can be piled up with crap and I'll still have 1/3 of it to work at.  ;D

« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 04:13:23 pm by BadMouth »

knave

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 13, 2023, 03:32:33 pm
« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2015, 05:10:45 pm »

That space was created by using my forearm to push everything back like a toy dozer in a coin pusher machine  ;) :

I laughed at this...My bench is the same. though rather than use my arm, I have a piece of scrap 1/4 inch particle board about 11x20 or so. I just pick up one edge and all the clutter slides off to the side.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2015, 05:49:35 pm »

I laughed at this...My bench is the same. though rather than use my arm, I have a piece of scrap 1/4 inch particle board about 11x20 or so. I just pick up one edge and all the clutter slides off to the side.
Lol

Current state:

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #48 on: August 10, 2015, 05:57:28 pm »
Eh it looks like you can walk through the room, so you still have be beat.  ;)

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2015, 08:58:28 am »
Another recommendation:  You'll notice in the above pic that I have an Aloe Vera plant right on my workbench for convenient treatment of burns.  :lol
(actually I haven't burned myself since getting a soldering station instead of using a loose iron with a flimsy stand)

Slippyblade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2015, 12:48:36 pm »
A handy aloe would have been nice the other day.  I was heat shrinking a bunch of connections and set the heat gun on the floor since my work space was so cluttered.  Then, being barefoot, I promptly brushed my foot against the hut metal ring around the business end of the heat gun.  Yikes that hurt! 

I know - don't put ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- on the floor ya dumb ass!

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #51 on: August 11, 2015, 12:52:18 pm »
I know - don't put ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- on the floor ya dumb ass!

Ouch! How about "Don't work barefoot"?

Eh, we all forget safety bits here and there. I had a near miss a couple weeks ago when I was cutting a bolt with my dremel and had an itch on my head. You think I would be smart enough to turn the dremel off and put it down first. I could feel the cutting disc millimeters from my scalp.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #52 on: August 11, 2015, 02:24:58 pm »
Heat guns seem rather poorly designed if you ask me.  A hair dryer heats up so the metal duct of a hair dryer is surrounded by a larger plastic shell to keep you from burning yourself.  Heat guns.... nah we'll just make the entire tip out of metal.... what could possibly go wrong?

MonMotha

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2018, 05:45:54 pm
« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2015, 11:41:48 pm »
Heat guns get much hotter than hair driers.  They have the same amount of heat output but lower airflow.  The plastic shell surrounding metal air duct of your typical hair dryer would start to melt at the temperatures encountered in a heat gun.  I'm sure somebody can point out some high temperature plastic or thermal insulation strategy that would be reasonably effective in this situation, but it's far easier and more reliable to just go with metal.

You might also want to look at some of the more modern heat guns.  Many of them feature adjustable temperature as well as automatic cool-down modes which will at least serve to limit the amount of time the metal duct is at dangerous temperatures.

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:41:53 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #54 on: August 12, 2015, 10:54:05 am »
I'm sure somebody can point out some high temperature plastic or thermal insulation strategy that would be reasonably effective in this situation, but it's far easier and more reliable to just go with metal.

still metal, but then a fiberglass/carbon fiber/arimid reinforced plastic shell. (like most hand tools these days) of course, it would increase the cost of the tool.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #55 on: August 12, 2015, 12:19:34 pm »
Eh I put a piece of 1/4 thick plastic electrical line conduit on mine.  Doesn't heat up... too thick to melt.  It's hard to estimate the cost as it was scrap, but going by the linear foot maybe a dollar retail?  You guys overthink things sometimes.  ;)

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:02:22 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #56 on: August 12, 2015, 02:56:23 pm »
Eh I put a piece of 1/4 thick plastic electrical line conduit on mine.  Doesn't heat up... too thick to melt.  It's hard to estimate the cost as it was scrap, but going by the linear foot maybe a dollar retail?  You guys overthink things sometimes.  ;)

You know what site you're on, right?  >:D
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

jennifer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #57 on: August 12, 2015, 04:09:43 pm »
   **Jennifer thinks about this....Hmmm (That's my think noise, Giggle)

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2021, 12:21:09 pm
  • Don't half-ass two things, whole-ass one thing.
« Reply #58 on: August 26, 2015, 11:25:06 am »
So, of course I'd really love to own a Hakko FR300 Desoldering Tool

However, I just can't justify that kind of cost this early in my monitor capping career.

I already own one a basic Solder Sucker

But I'm wondering if a Desoldering Pump with Heater or a Desoldering Iron with sucker bulb would be better.

I actually really like the Desoldering Pump with Heater because it's just like a soldering iron and the price is great at $15.

I've seen others use the sucker bulb version but I don't like how the sucker is at a 90 degree angle to your grip. Could be awkward.

Suggestions?
If you can read this, it means Photobucket's money grab ruined my signature photos.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:00:13 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #59 on: August 26, 2015, 11:35:52 am »
One of these days I'll buy the cheapie desoldering iron with the bulb from Radio Shack, drill a hole in the bulb, and run a line to an aquarium pump.  It's just ghetto enough to work.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #60 on: August 26, 2015, 11:44:24 am »
So, of course I'd really love to own a Hakko FR300 Desoldering Tool

However, I just can't justify that kind of cost this early in my monitor capping career.

I already own one a basic Solder Sucker

But I'm wondering if a Desoldering Pump with Heater or a Desoldering Iron with sucker bulb would be better.

I actually really like the Desoldering Pump with Heater because it's just like a soldering iron and the price is great at $15.

I've seen others use the sucker bulb version but I don't like how the sucker is at a 90 degree angle to your grip. Could be awkward.

Suggestions?
Just buy the Hakko if you plan to stay in this hobby and collect dedicated machines.

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
« Reply #61 on: August 26, 2015, 11:45:21 am »
One of these days I'll buy the cheapie desoldering iron with the bulb from Radio Shack, drill a hole in the bulb, and run a line to an aquarium pump.  It's just ghetto enough to work.

At first, I thought that was a little crazy, then I found this
If you can read this, it means Photobucket's money grab ruined my signature photos.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:00:13 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #62 on: August 26, 2015, 12:36:10 pm »
Yeah, he's got the air flowing in the wrong direction, though.  Unless I'm misunderstanding the purpose of his coil in the shaft.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #63 on: August 26, 2015, 12:37:22 pm »
I have the bulb type one from RadioShack.  I hold it like a welding torch with my thumb pressing down on the bulb.
It works very well for big stuff, but the tip and hole on the end is too big for a lot of the small through hole parts on modern PCBs.
I've never recapped a monitor (have replaced caps in a couple modern flatscreen tvs), but imagine it would work fine on the big parts on those old chassis.
Whether it works better than the solder sucker with the built in heater probably depends on the wattage of each.  The higher the better.

I know I'm never going to do enough desoldering to warrant buying that hakko (although I love my hakko soldering iron).
Most times I just use wick because I'm only replacing a few parts.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #64 on: August 26, 2015, 12:43:09 pm »
As my collection has grown to include a lot more dedicated machines, I'm finding the need to recap all the monitors, and I've even started replacing flybacks. I couldn't imagine doing all that work by hand again.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #65 on: August 26, 2015, 12:43:59 pm »
Yeah, he's got the air flowing in the wrong direction, though.  Unless I'm misunderstanding the purpose of his coil in the shaft.

The purpose of that contraption is to blow hot air on the tabs of tiny surface mount parts.
The parts are attached via solder paste first, then heated up with air to get the paste to flow.
Air is used because the parts are just too damn small to get a solder covered iron in there without bridging tabs.

I've seen it done with the bulb type ones.  The bulb keeps the tubing from getting too hot.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 04:17:13 pm by BadMouth »

MonMotha

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2018, 05:45:54 pm
« Reply #66 on: August 26, 2015, 02:03:54 pm »
Personally, I've always found drag soldering easier than hot air for hand assembly of fine-pitch SMDs.  I can do a 144 lead 0.5mm QFP in about 3 minutes.  Most of that time is board prep (cleaning, fluxing, etc.) and positioning of the part.  You also don't need a paste stencil for this which is handy.  Touching up cold joints from automated assembly with hot air can be useful, though ideally you'll eventually get your process tuned to where it's largely unnecessary.

For removal, yes hot air is handy, or I'll just cut the leads off with an X-acto if I don't care about the part and don't want to risk cooking other stuff on the board badly.  However, most of those little SMD rework stations with hot air just don't have enough volume to remove a part since you have to bring the whole thing up to reflow at the same time.  I just use a heat gun.  I have also seen nifty little workstations with bulk pre-heat air, typically applied to the bottom of the board, and then a handheld wand to bring it up the final 50-100 degrees.  Those apparently work quite well.

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2024, 12:40:25 pm
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #67 on: October 09, 2015, 09:41:18 am »
Anybody want to talk me out of buying a Chinese knock off of the Hakko?  Yihua has some decent reviews at a quarter of the price.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #68 on: October 09, 2015, 10:47:34 am »
Anybody want to talk me out of buying a Chinese knock off of the Hakko?  Yihua has some decent reviews at a quarter of the price.

No experience with it, but Harbor Freight used to sell an assumed knock-off that turned out to actually be made by Hakko.
It was pretty much just a rebranded Hakko.  Same tips, same performance.
After people caught on, they stopped selling it.

This is before the rounded blue design and before I was into this stuff.  I read it on the interwebs, so it must be true.

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
« Reply #69 on: October 09, 2015, 10:52:59 am »
Yihua has some decent reviews at a quarter of the price.

What model are you looking at specifically? I looked up "Yihua" on Amazon and they make dozens of kits.

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #70 on: October 09, 2015, 11:02:41 am »
Thinking about the 939D

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #72 on: October 09, 2015, 11:20:36 am »
that's the one..

Hakko tips fit it.

I went ahead and pulled the trigger for 39.32 shipped.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 11:22:34 am by harveybirdman »

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
« Reply #73 on: October 09, 2015, 11:24:49 am »
A smidge cheaper on eBay

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #74 on: October 09, 2015, 11:56:06 am »
I like the price, thanks!   :applaud: You will have to tell me what you think.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #75 on: October 09, 2015, 11:57:52 am »
They can have my Hakko when they pry it from my cold dead hands.

Slippyblade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #76 on: October 09, 2015, 11:58:41 am »
Nice!  Definitely let us know how that works for ya.  I'd love to find a knock off desoldering rig that was comparable.

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #77 on: October 09, 2015, 11:59:23 am »
They can have my Hakko when they pry it from my cold dead hands.

I hear you bro! but SHMUP boards are expensive yo! gotta save $ where a brotha can.

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #78 on: October 09, 2015, 01:14:59 pm »
This is the juncture where I get my wife to guilt me into getting the spendier tool. Not that she calls the shots, but down the road she won't complain about my over-spending. Prevents her from buying expensive crap in retaliation.

"Gee, I think I am really gonna get the cheaper soldering station, I know I really love the one that is $50 more, and it would be a tool that will most likely last me my whole life and has countless glowing reviews, but I think I would be happy with the other brand model. If it craps out in 3 years, well, maybe I will have better paying job at the time to get a new one."

10 minutes of pissing and moaning about with that crap and my wife is practically begging me to spend the extra $$$

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:41:53 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #79 on: October 09, 2015, 02:30:35 pm »
i'll tell ya whut, anybody ever used a hakko would tell you to shove a yuiha soldering iron up yer bum.

if you in the sticks and need to solder a wire, buy a yuihah or whatever... then throw it out after you are done.

these chinese clones are garbage. they don't hold heat...they are not particularly ESD proof like the hakko. you will end up wrecking more than you'll fix. the quality just isn't there. just spend the hunskie and get the hakko. you'll thank me later.

also: