Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: An Exidy 2 for.... ( Crash & Circus )  (Read 11334 times)

chopperthedog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:27:26 pm
An Exidy 2 for.... ( Crash & Circus )
« on: July 18, 2015, 06:30:53 pm »

Back in march this Taito Speed Race popped up on the Chicago CL, not my style of game but a unique piece for sure. Showed it to the peeps in an arcade irc chat and a collector friend z3k3 said "chopper get that for me". Made the deal happen and got the thing home, for a game from 1974 it is scary clean. Here's a link to a full album of pics: https://www.dropbox.com/sc/c8dfx1ctnn95hbe/AABaYWrPQs4j8t8h9J6Ylb7aa  Apparently these are not common at all in the states (this is the 3rd one known) and it was one of those games that z3k3 had really been on the lookout for. Transport to Philly was handled by another collector that routinely drives from jersey to the Midwest picking up and delivering games. About 3 months ago z3k3 showed me a couple Exidy games that he was looking to sell and shot out a smokin' "bro" price for both games. Paid for both within minutes....

Fast forward 3 months and both were delivered to my garage from Philly last Friday. Couple of great survivor black and white games.

Love the artwork.

Both games are complete, but unknown electrical states. There has been some hackery done in the power section on both. I have new power supplies, power cables, leg levelers, edge connectors and a gaggle of capictors on order.

My back has put me out of commission this week, but I did manage to get the crash control panel stripped and detailed and got the joystick cleaned and rebuilt with new switches.

good day.

IG-88

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 08:29:46 am
Re: An Exidy 2 for.... ( Crash & Circus )
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 10:26:00 pm »
Wow Chopper, those are beautiful! Please post lots of pics and details of their "resurrection"
"I know what a HAL 9000 is... I was wondering if HAL 7600 was his retarded cousin or something..."
-HarumaN

chopperthedog

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 02:02:20 pm »
Some interior pics before the tear down and get rid of the scuzzdirtmoldiness.

Crash: pics below.
-----------------------------

The power block on crash needs an overhaul. All molex's will be repinned along with a new 44 pin edge connector. You may also notice the side art is missing on one side, I was provided with a never used piece in the deal.

Circus: pics below.
-----------------------------

Circus has some odd stuff going on. There is an unused transformer hangin out under the monitor. The 6volt supply is missing for the marquee bulbs (was give a 6volt trans with the deal). This will also get the repinning of molex's and a new edge connector treatment.

Time to gut these things and make em smell purty again.

good day.

chopperthedog

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 09:34:14 pm »

Weather was perfect today! Cabs gutted, awaiting a good vacuum and scrubbing tomorrow.

good day.

chopperthedog

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2015, 11:25:54 pm »

Before I got scrubbin', I tried offering some of the neighborhood kids free licks. Sadly, no takers......

Last 3 pics are from the front of circus. We've all seen it before.... The particle board takes a brutal hit and you're left with a puffy mess. Since all the parts were there I whipped out the old minwax wood hardener and gave it a minor soaking. Used a vise to really clamp it back to shape and came out perfect and is solid as a rock. Best part is, it took 10 minutes to do.

Got both cabs scrubbed to death and smellin' nice. I replaced the front laminate and put on a nice base along with leg levelers on crash. Hope I can finish the circus cab work on Sunday.

good day.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 11:29:41 pm by chopperthedog »

chopperthedog

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 11:14:23 pm »
Had a gig on Saturday night, soooooo nothing got done on Sunday.....

Got the new laminate, base and leg leveler's on circus today.

Both cabs are clean and home worthy now. When constructed, Exidy shipped them with only plywood strips as a "base" and no provisions for casters, so both were not in the best of condition. They will have a much better life now with a nice new bottom and shiny new leg leveler's. On to detailing all of the other bits and reassembling.

good day.

IG-88

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2015, 01:25:24 pm »
Hey Chopper. How do you get that laminate on the lower front without removing the panel?
"I know what a HAL 9000 is... I was wondering if HAL 7600 was his retarded cousin or something..."
-HarumaN

chopperthedog

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2015, 10:31:12 pm »
Hey Chopper. How do you get that laminate on the lower front without removing the panel?
Rough cut the chunk of laminate needed 1/2" larger overall with a utility knife. Clamped laminate to piece of board to shave and square up 2 of the edges using a router with a flush trim bit. I got the width to within 1/16" and continued flush trim at very small increments til the piece was just the right width. Taped off areas on the sides to avoid getting contact cement on them and used a 3M spray glue and covered both cab and laminate piece. Removed tape right away and waited 5 minutes. Set piece and smoothed out with a j roller. I used a step drill to create pilot holes for the coin door and speaker opening. The coin door is the easy part to trim out and gets a little tricky with the speaker hole and bottom edge. I used small strips of 3/4" plywood laid on the cab to raise up the router and set the bit depth pretty far so that I could avoid running into the protruding sides of the cab. This allowed me to flush trim the speaker hole and bottom perfectly.

I started with the reassembly of crash first (the circus coin door frame needs some welding done to it).

The bezel got f_ucked over by some punk ass at some point and there were some real deep gouges in it.

Started with wet sanding using 1000 grit to get rid of the gouges. Switched over to 3000 and continued to wet sand it all smooth and followed up the final polishing with Novus #3 and #2. My arm was about to fall off after doing it, but it came out great.

The linear power supply was outputting 11.46v and it should be 5v. I'd rather not waste any time trying to fix that thing.

Nice, clean and tidy now. Re pinned all molex connectors and added a switcher to handle the 5v. The transformer supplies the 6v ac (purple wires) needed for the marquee lights and also supplies the 35v ac (green and blue wires) needed for the sound amp that is located on the pcb.

Got the coin door detailed along with some other bits. Starting to look sexy. Now that I have a solid power block I can move onto bench testing the board and monitor and see where the hardware is at.

good day.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 10:35:35 pm by chopperthedog »

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2015, 10:54:40 pm »
You're doing some great stuff these days, chopper!  :applaud:

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:19:17 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2015, 11:09:58 pm »
Looking great,  Chopper!
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

chopperthedog

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2015, 08:52:11 pm »
Thanks guys!!!!!  :applaud:

Soooooooooo, things got a little interesting.

Sorry about the pumpy cell phone vdeo.

I started with testing the "actual" crash monitor and pcb. Monitor had neck glow, but nothing was happening. Did a quick test on the monitor with the craftymech tpg and saw an image of sorts. So crash board is dead and I got a guy that can fix it. Had another unknown exidy board to test and figured what the hell and gave it a go. Boom! crash or this thing that resembles crash boots up. WTF!?!?!? Text is in a different place, graphics are different and car spins to center when it crashes. Do I have some sort of crash prototype board? Couldn't find anything that looked like this in mame at all. I need to take the board to unknowncomic and get the roms dumped. I don't have the panel and other stuff wired up yet, I'm curious to see how this thing plays and sounds.

good day.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 06:29:45 pm by chopperthedog »

chopperthedog

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2015, 10:38:18 pm »
 :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:

Just a couple of quick "happy dance" pics. Got the wells 19v1000 monitor rebuilt along with scrubbing and repinning the harness. I've got that odd prototype board running currently. Some interesting differences, sounds are different as well. I'll get some more pics of the interior and other stuff under better light tomorrow.

good day.

chopperthedog

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2015, 08:48:37 pm »
Some better pics for your viewing pleasure.

Cleaned up very nicely.. I'm super happy with the way it turned out!!!

I skipped wiring in the interlock / inline fuse mess and just added a main fuse to the power block. Nerve wracking operation pulling the main chassis board from the frame for just 2 frickin' caps on a Wells 19v1000.

On to Circus!!!

good day.

IG-88

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2015, 02:33:16 pm »
Looks great Chopper! Can't wait to see the next one!
-HarumaN

chopperthedog

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2015, 10:12:57 pm »
Looks great Chopper! Can't wait to see the next one!
Thank ya kindly. Circus needs more love than crash needed and knew I could whip through crash fast.

Crash made the big move from garage to house. Such a cool cab. I've come to really enjoy doing these saves on complete original oddball survivor games.

good day.

gregor7777

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2022, 04:07:00 pm
  • I'm your huckleberry. Say When...
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2015, 12:38:14 pm »
Looks great

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2015, 02:50:58 pm »
It does look great!

Are you not going to repaint the CP?  Looks like it could use a stripping and repaint.
(did this cabinet have a CPO at all?)

IG-88

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2015, 04:05:10 pm »
Oh I here ya about the oddball stuff. Everybody has a DK or Pac. I LOVE the strange/rare games. I got a (not as old obviously) Stratovox that is getting started on soon I hope. Don't see many of those around  ;D

Little off topic. I've admired the Poker machine --> Defender in the past. Looks like a CRT in it, yes? What other hardware are you using? I have a couple of those same cabs I need to do something with...
-HarumaN

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2015, 04:10:17 pm »
Little off topic. I've admired the Poker machine --> Defender in the past. Looks like a CRT in it, yes? What other hardware are you using? I have a couple of those same cabs I need to do something with...

It's a Multi-williams/MAME machine, and still one of my favourite projects here:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,130607.msg1360048.html

Started off with an LCD, but chopper came to his senses and put a CRT in it. :)  >:D

chopperthedog

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2015, 07:31:31 pm »
It does look great!

Are you not going to repaint the CP?  Looks like it could use a stripping and repaint.
(did this cabinet have a CPO at all?)
Nah, I thought about it for a tick, til I was able to clean the years of sh1t off of it. Had no cpo, just the screen printed graphics. And doing any touch up would look like crap in the light. It's also the guitar collector in me that loves 35yo patina.
Oh I here ya about the oddball stuff. Everybody has a DK or Pac. I LOVE the strange/rare games. I got a (not as old obviously) Stratovox that is getting started on soon I hope. Don't see many of those around  ;D

Thanks for reminding me, my stratovox thread needs a little update. It really is a fun and challenging game. Plays/sounds like ass in mame, only real way is on dedicated hardware.

It's a Multi-williams/MAME machine, and still one of my favourite projects here:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,130607.msg1360048.html

Started off with an LCD, but chopper came to his senses and put a CRT in it. :)  >:D

Thanks you for the compliment. it's been a dedicated multiwilliams for about a year now. I pulled the mame side of out of the cab since I wasn't using it anymore after bringing life back to my main mame cab. It sure was fun going through the learning and figuring out process.

good day.

chopperthedog

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2015, 02:29:54 pm »

Finally got this thing back together, BUT there is an issue with the pcb. The graphic of the "flying guy" is mucked up. Could be video ram or a rom gone bad.

Harness scrubbed along with some of the connecters getting repinned. This game originally pulled the 5vdc for the pcb from the monitor chassis (yeah, pretty odd) and it made sense to install the switcher under the monitor since the 5v lines originate there. Transformer by the switcher handles 6.3vac for the flasher bulbs in the marquee and the transformer above the pcb handles the 35vac for the sound board.

Motorola M5000 recapped and it also needed a new horizontal oscillator coil.

I stopped at a theatrical place to pick out some color gels and ALMOST made the mistake of buying a green one. I kept thinking how will I seam the 3 colors up to look good, and it hit me to just buy blue and yellow and overlap the 2 to make the green, dumbass.

Person I got the cab off of had the 2 different bezels and he allowed me to choose. He sent me the game with the flat version since the paint was in better shape, but I had to go with the 3D ballons in the marquee area for the cool factor and when installed damage to art is hidden well.

Time to ship the board off to Oakland, CA.

good day.

Joemustang65

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 20, 2020, 07:45:35 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2018, 03:33:20 am »
Do you still own the circus cabinet?
I’m restoring one and need a bezel.
So I could use high resolution scans of pictures of the bezel.
Any help would me more then appreciated.

chopperthedog

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2018, 04:58:44 pm »
The Crash board from reply #10 has been dumped and added to mame .201.  :afro:

good day.

amazingco

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 18, 2020, 10:03:21 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2019, 01:18:26 pm »
chopperthedog,
I bought a circus board just like yours. I saw in the pictures that the top of the main board is connected to the sound card. Can you tell me if you can connect the card only to the main board (the sound card didn't come along!). In this case it is not necessary to turn on the 35V? Kind regards.