Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Sound issue in MAME  (Read 15381 times)

Goochee64

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 08, 2019, 08:39:27 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Sound issue in MAME
« on: May 30, 2015, 11:32:02 pm »
HI
I am experiencing some strange sound effects with my favourite game Phoenix.
I have overclocked my Pi2. Changed the audio out rate to 44100 and audio driver to sdl. Still not great.
Tried both Mame4all and advmame with the same results.

Has anyone else had any problems and have you solved them for this game.
Cheers

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2024, 07:02:12 am
Re: Sound issue in MAME
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2015, 08:55:41 am »
did you download the audio sample files for mame4all?
the link for them is near the bottom of this page.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mame4allpi/files/?source=navbar

Aceisback

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2021, 07:45:41 pm
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2015, 09:19:30 pm »
What sound issues are you experiencing? I am using just the rom and no samples in Advmame (Retropie 2.6 and 3.0 beta) with no problems on both a RPi1 and Rpi2. Have you tried a different romset? Occasionally, I have found that a different romset corrects the sound issues in some games.

Goochee64

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 06:31:18 pm »
Thanks for the replies :)
Used Mame on PC's before but I am new to the Pi world and was not aware of the need to add audio samples. Will have to try that.
The sound issue I am experiencing with Phoenix is that noise the alien birds make does not match the PC running game. Infact the noise is annoying enough to stop playing the game.
I will try maybe a different rom set.
I may need re-educating though. In the past I have not worried about romsets in Mame on PC. Especially for some of the older games. I thought the roms where the same and the romsets may have fixed some issues aor added new games. Am I right?????
I do understand that Mame4All and Advmame only like specific version romsets though.

Cheers

Aceisback

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 12:34:24 am »
I just tested mine against my PC Mame and some Youtube vids of phoenix and my sounds are consistent on all platforms. No audio samples are required that I can find. One other thing I thought of, are you using the audio out from the AV port? I use USB sound cards and the sound is much better in my opinion. Some sounds don't work to good through the AV port.

Goochee64

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2015, 11:58:35 pm »
Hi
I am using the headphone jack on the Pi2.
What USB sound card are you using? Recommendations?
Are they easy to setup on the Pi?

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2015, 01:40:08 pm »
There are settings you can put into the config.txt file to force which output the audio goes out of.

Actually all of that should be set-able in the raspiconfig script under advanced options.

Aceisback

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2015, 03:14:06 am »
I use these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/White-USB-2-0-2-1-Channel-Virtual-7-1-effect-Audio-Sound-Card-Adapter-3D-/370640380152?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item564be360f8

Yes, very simple to use. Plug N Play, but you have to make one change in a sound config file (can't remember which one at this time)> Adafruit.com sells them also and has a tutorial for using them. I have 4 Raspberry Pi systems in operation, and I use these on all of them.

Goochee64

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2015, 07:21:25 pm »
Thanks Ace
Got one on order now.
Cheers

Goochee64

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2015, 10:07:04 pm »
I use these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/White-USB-2-0-2-1-Channel-Virtual-7-1-effect-Audio-Sound-Card-Adapter-3D-/370640380152?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item564be360f8

Yes, very simple to use. Plug N Play, but you have to make one change in a sound config file (can't remember which one at this time)> Adafruit.com sells them also and has a tutorial for using them. I have 4 Raspberry Pi systems in operation, and I use these on all of them.

Got mine in from ebay and modified the ALSA Config as described here https://learn.adafruit.com/usb-audio-cards-with-a-raspberry-pi
Now Mame4All and NeoGeo don't work. As soon as you revert the ALSA Config back to default they work again. What The?
Sound is working for the other emulators
Any Ideas guys?
Cheers

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2015, 08:54:37 am »
what OS are you using?
you shouldn't need a usb sound card.

Retropie just works without any config except video & sound outputs.
heck raspbian just works also.

Aceisback

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2015, 10:50:43 pm »
All you did was change options snd-usb-audio index=-2 to 0 correct?

Are you using Retropie or PiPlay?

I have used both without any issues. I just completed 2 more RPi setups (mini-cabs) using RPi version 2 boards with these USB sound cards and both Mame4all and Advmame work fine. I have been unable to get NEOGEO games to work at all on either Mame4all or Advmame. One of the ones I just built went to a buddy of mine who wanted only Mame emulation and wanted the Metal Slug series, but I was unable to get any of them to work. Here is a YT vid of the one I built for my friend: .

Aceisback

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2015, 10:56:13 pm »
Just a thought, I found this, but not sure if it is what you are dealing with:
http://piplay.org/forum/discussion/968/usb-audio-card-issue-with-piplay-/p1

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2015, 03:49:46 pm »

I have used both without any issues. I just completed 2 more RPi setups (mini-cabs) using RPi version 2 boards with these USB sound cards and both Mame4all and Advmame work fine. I have been unable to get NEOGEO games to work at all on either Mame4all or Advmame. One of the ones I just built went to a buddy of mine who wanted only Mame emulation and wanted the Metal Slug series, but I was unable to get any of them to work. Here is a YT vid of the one I built for my friend: .

I guess I don't understand why you need a usb sound card at all.

Aceisback

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2015, 05:17:54 pm »
The RPi was not designed for good sound quality as it is PWM sound by what I have read. The external audio devices sound better and often reduce system noise the RPi generates. Maybe personal preference to some, but I use the external usb audio on all my setups now. I started using them after my first setup because I just did not like some of the noise and poor quality of sound from some games, and they were cheap enough to try. There are more expensive audio boards that piggy back on the RPi also, but I don't need to spend that much money for better sound.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2015, 11:15:51 pm »
I never noticed any problem with sound on my rpi's. :dunno

Aceisback

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2015, 03:07:45 am »
Like I said, it may be personal preference, but there is plenty of info out on the RPi sites that explain and discuss the sound quality of the RPi. You don't have to use external audio, but it improved the audio on my setups and I plan on using them for all my projects based on personal experience. I am not using HDMI displays, nor HDMI sound. HDMI sound is good quality, but if the project uses analogue sound, external audio devices are an improvement.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 03:25:08 am by Aceisback »

Goochee64

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2015, 01:10:30 am »

Thanks for the reply. :)
Like your mini machines
I am using Retropie with Emulationstation. Version 2.6 for Pi2.
Rather new to the Pi world and not sure what OS the Pi is running, Raspbian etc ????

I will copy a new image of Retropie onto my SD card and not do a software update to see if that makes any difference. Then change that line in the config file for the audio.

By the way I was getting NEOGEO Metal Slug working in the Noegeo emulator not the MAME ones. Was working well until I tried the USB Audio adapter :(

Cheers

Aceisback

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2015, 03:08:21 am »
The USB audio worked in 2.6 but I am using the 3.0 now. I did test mine again with Mame4all and it works. I am using Advmame on mine though. When you start with a fresh image, expand the filesystem first and load only a few mame roms and see that everything works there first, then do the USB audio change.

I am running Metal Slug in the Neogeo emulator also. Others have gotten it to work in mame, but I have yet to get it working.

I have discovered another quirk. I built two of those mini cabs and both are identical in construction and use the same SD card image. The one in the video plays Galaga 88 in Advmame with no issues, the sound is great and there is no stuttering. The one I built for myself stutters with Galaga 88. While trouble shooting, I plugged my video output into the one in the video and Galaga 88 works fine. Something with the display is screwing with my setup and they use the same LCD. I even tried another identical LCD and it still stutters. I am wondering if there is something slightly different with my RPi. Who knows. Everything else works great.

jboddez

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 23, 2015, 06:48:51 am
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2015, 06:31:20 am »
Hi,

I too am using a USB adapter and it works wonders.

"snd-usb-audio index=-2 to 0" is the only thing that needs changed to get it working.

If you're using mame4all-pi, you'll need the correct sample pack to go with the romset (0.37b5) in order to get fully working sound in a number of games. They belong in ~/RetroPie/roms/mame-samples.

Two others things I found that greatly improved sound using mame4all-pi (in dkong, for example) was the force-stereo option (I set it to yes, or 1, not sure of the exact 'syntax', in /opt/retropie/emulators/mame4all/mame.cfg, *I think*) and mildly overclocking the Pi itself (to 900 MHz, using raspi-config).

Even then, I find sound is still rather noisy for a number of roms. Must be due to the really old version number.

AdvMame and/or RetroArch and/or PiFBA may lead to a different experience. AdvMame, while theoretically slower, allows for newer roms. PiFBA also uses an updated, but smaller, romset. Neo Geo and a number of Capcom roms work better on PiFBA.

jboddez

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 23, 2015, 06:48:51 am
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2015, 06:34:01 am »
Oh, are you using HDMI or the analog video out? (Sound may also be transferred over HDMI, so it could be of importance.)

uhoh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 01, 2015, 02:34:47 am
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2015, 04:33:46 pm »
Just a thought, I found this, but not sure if it is what you are dealing with:
http://piplay.org/forum/discussion/968/usb-audio-card-issue-with-piplay-/p1
Thanks for linking this, solved my issues with usb sound working everywhere but MAME.
Sound is much better using usb on my Pi2- analog had a constant hiss.

Aceisback

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2015, 01:42:01 am »
That's weird that mame does not have any sound. Did you go into the mame settings (TAB key) and check the audio settings there? I know you can adjust the volume there if I remember correctly. I know I had to adjust the volume on my setup.

Peabo

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2021, 05:00:21 pm
  • Pinball junkie
    • Virtual Pinball Build
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2015, 09:51:39 pm »
Are you getting static in the sound?  If so, you need to use an AV cable and not a stereo cable like this one:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00W8FHIYQ?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage  The headphone port is actually an AV port, so with a stereo cable the top ring isn't separated and the video and ground are connected causing static in the audio.

uhoh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 01, 2015, 02:34:47 am
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2015, 10:59:16 am »
Are you getting static in the sound?  If so, you need to use an AV cable and not a stereo cable like this one:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00W8FHIYQ?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage  The headphone port is actually an AV port, so with a stereo cable the top ring isn't separated and the video and ground are connected causing static in the audio.
I actually have one of these kicking around somewhere and will try this before mucking with usb again on a fresh 3.0 RC1 install. Thanks for the tip!