Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: My PiCade Project  (Read 6562 times)

mike5im5

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 23, 2021, 03:22:21 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
My PiCade Project
« on: July 17, 2015, 10:41:33 am »
Hi All,

My first post on this forum (please move if it's in the wrong place). I upgraded my pi to a pi2 a few weeks back and had a spare original pi kicking around. I decided to make use of it as an arcade emulator. When searching for decent controls on Amazon I stumbled across the iCade at what seemed like a really decent price so decided to use that as the base of my project. Anyways, I'm sure many people have built the same project before me but I thought I'd share some WIP pics never the less. Comments welcome!

Parts:

old raspberry pi, case & sd card - Spares
iCade from Amazon - £29.95
usb arcade control board from ebay - £7
ipad 1 lcd screen from ebay - £29.99
ipad lcd control board from ebat - £26.99
dual 12v/5v psu board from Amazon - £11.50
mini usb speakers - Spares
perspex sheet from homebase - ~£8

I decided to go with the ipad lcd + control board as all the small lcd monitors I could find were 16:9 and the old retro games would have been squeezed into very small screen space. I was very happy with the results and the resolution was great for even command line text when configuring the pi. The only drawback is the control board needed a 12v supply. Not being too savvy with electrics I bought a PSU that had both 12v and 5v (for the pi) outputs.

LCD control board made the ipad replacement screen into a monitor with vga, hdmi and video out:

I cut and then bent some perspex as a bevel for the screen and painted the back with some black bbq paint that I had laying around.

Once I'd scrapped the iCade bluetooth module, rewired the controls to usb and plugged everything together. I tested the setup with tape holding everything in place.

I destroyed the casing of the usb speakers and took out the cones and mounted them to the perspex (with some holes drilled for the sound).

Fully assembled:

From the back (More painted perspex with a window to see the pi  ;))

Build time is about 3 evenings so far... much more time wasted thinking about the project and components though! ;)

Still to be done:

-Custom Marquee with back light
-External USB slot for extra controllers
-Mount the usb speaker volume controls so they can be operated externally.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:56:20 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
Re: My PiCade Project
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 11:00:06 am »
What software are you using on the Pi?  I've yet to encounter something I like much.

mike5im5

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 23, 2021, 03:22:21 pm
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2015, 11:02:08 am »
I didn't want to spend to long configuring it so just downloaded the retropie iso image. Saved a lot of time as everything was more or less setup ready to go (just needed to load ROMS and configure controls).

uhoh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 01, 2015, 02:34:47 am
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 11:56:01 am »
Looks great for such a quick build!
Do you have a link for the ipad 1 controller board you are using?
I can find lcd controllers for later model ipads but boards for ipad 1's are eluding me.