Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: MortalKab 4 player DIY slim arcade cabinet/ Finished / Update?  (Read 81559 times)

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:58:57 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
Re: First build/ 32" lcd slimcab 4 player..... lots of questions
« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2015, 06:41:01 pm »
There's been a saw board sticky here on this board since 2005...  :dizzy:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,43568.0.html
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

deezdrama

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 25, 2024, 09:45:32 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,146268.0.html
« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2015, 07:02:37 pm »

sorry.... didnt know. Was googling all kinds of "mame cabinet track saw" type stuff and never seen it.

Just trying to consolidate my adventure building this thing. There wasnt alot of slim cab builds I could find using a 32" tv so Im sure people in the future might find this through google. I searched and searched for 32" slim cab builds and it wasnt untill I found chances build thread that I felt I had enough details to start. So thanks to chances top notch build and documentation I grew the balls to start my own. I dont have alot of funds so might have to cut some corners but hopefully end up with something "living room worthy and how I went about it might help someone.
Im already thinking of an idea for a diy t- slot cutter..... but if I need a router for sanwa jlf sticks then I probably will buy a router anyway

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2015, 07:20:07 pm »

sorry.... didnt know. Was googling all kinds of "mame cabinet track saw" type stuff and never seen it.

Just trying to consolidate my adventure building this thing. There wasnt alot of slim cab builds I could find using a 32" tv so Im sure people in the future might find this through google. I searched and searched for 32" slim cab builds and it wasnt untill I found chances build thread that I felt I had enough details to start. So thanks to chances top notch build and documentation I grew the balls to start my own. I dont have alot of funds so might have to cut some corners but hopefully end up with something "living room worthy and how I went about it might help someone.
Im already thinking of an idea for a diy t- slot cutter..... but if I need a router for sanwa jlf sticks then I probably will buy a router anyway

Don't cut corners on the slot cutting. You can get a good cheap Ryobi router at Home Depot. It's the one tool I'll never regret buying.

deezdrama

• Offline Offline
« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2015, 10:27:39 pm »

Don't cut corners on the slot cutting. You can get a good cheap Ryobi router at Home Depot. It's the one tool I'll never regret buying.

ok.... ill probably need one for my control panel. I think im going for sanwa jlf sticks and have no idea yet whats all needed to install them

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:28:04 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2015, 10:34:56 pm »
I think im going for sanwa jlf sticks and have no idea yet whats all needed to install them
Check out the list of 6 mounting techniques here in the FAQ.

Scott

deezdrama

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2015, 10:49:12 pm »
I think im going for sanwa jlf sticks and have no idea yet whats all needed to install them
Check out the list of 6 mounting techniques here in the FAQ.

Scott
thanks for the link...Ill check it out.

Well.... I hit up Staples after work since at work.... the engineer acted like he didnt think he could print it at 100% scale and he has a 48" wide roll printer so I know it was possible.
Staples charged $8 ea.... I grabbed 2 copies.

Then I got home,mowed, and hit the garage to work on the cab. Sat there for about an hour getting nothing done wondering how I would pull off the 45* angled cuts.... Was getting discouraged and almost gave up for the day but after a couple beers I dove in  :cheers:

Had to get creative to get all the 45* angle pieces cut right using only hand tools  :timebomb:
Its not on the level of some of you more experienced builders but it turned out better than I thought considering the tools I was stuck using.
Checked my box of hole saws and 2.5" was the biggest I had so had to layout a pattern and cut alot of vent holes. Will get fan covers for them or metal netting from inside- not sure which yet.

I noticed I overlooked leaving a gap between glueblocks at the top marquee area for the marquee light backstop, Ive decided Ill just wait untill the cabs fully assembled and measur/cut out a backstop for the light out of thin mdf or something, then cover it and any gaps with alum tape .

Pretty satisfying and fun hobby sofar I must admit.

edit+++++++
Oh..... the piece of wood you see sticking out of the top is just a scrap piece i laid up there for the rim/tire to sit on....needed weight  to help close the small gap between the 2 angled pieces untill the glue sets. I was too scared to try and screw it- ply to ply with a funky angle, figured it would splinter out.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 10:59:55 pm by deezdrama »

deezdrama

• Offline Offline
« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2015, 06:00:55 am »
Going to pick up a router friday.

Does it matter between a fixed base and plunge base?
Is my assumption right that a fixed base only will do a certain depth and that a plunge base I would be able to set the depth?

What bit would I need to do my CP ?  Just a straight cut bit? Using 3/4" ...do most people just cut out 1/2" for joysticks?

The slotting bit I need is a 3/16" or 1/8" ?

Thinking about getting this one....
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000IEFIBO/ref=mp_s_a_1_9?qid=1437559387&sr=1-9&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70

Or do you think a Ryobi would last longer?
thanks
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 06:05:15 am by deezdrama »

BGoulette

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 05:19:40 pm
    • lazerjoose.com
« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2015, 09:33:29 am »
A fixed-base router will allow you to set the depth of cut, but you'd typically have to start the cut from "outside" the piece (or in the center of a pre-cut opening); a plunge base will allow you to start the cut in the middle of the piece without existing holes. So, for example, if you needed to rebate the backside (or the top) of the control panel to accommodate your joystick mounting plates, you'd need a plunge base; if you're cutting dadoes (or t-slots), then a fixed base would do just fine. Of course, with a plunge base, you can typically lock it in at a specific depth and treat it more or less like a fixed base, but depending on the models, the depth adjustment options might differ from base to base.

My two cents. Someone with more knowledge and/or experience will be able to elaborate or correct any misstatements, I'm sure! :)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 09:37:46 pm by BGoulette »

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2021, 12:21:09 pm
  • Don't half-ass two things, whole-ass one thing.
« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2015, 10:56:46 am »
You can actually have the best of both worlds if you want. Bosch makes a fixed-base that also slides into a separate plunger if you want:

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-1617EVSPK-4-Horsepower-Variable-Collets/dp/B00005RHPD/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1437576470&sr=8-8&keywords=router+tool

DeWalt makes one as well:

http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW618PK-12-AMP-Fixed-Base-Variable-Speed/dp/B00006JKXE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1437576784&sr=8-3&keywords=router+tool

They may seem expensive but they are worth every penny in my opinion. Extremely versatile tools. I don't know how anyone builds a cab without one.
If you can read this, it means Photobucket's money grab ruined my signature photos.

BGoulette

• Offline Offline
    • lazerjoose.com
« Reply #49 on: July 22, 2015, 10:58:56 am »
I actually have the Bosch 1617EVSPK :) It's so much fun -- if only I had more excuses to put it to use! :(

You can actually have the best of both worlds if you want. Bosch makes a fixed-base that also slides into a separate plunger if you want:

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-1617EVSPK-4-Horsepower-Variable-Collets/dp/B00005RHPD/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1437576470&sr=8-8&keywords=router+tool

DeWalt makes one as well:

http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW618PK-12-AMP-Fixed-Base-Variable-Speed/dp/B00006JKXE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1437576784&sr=8-3&keywords=router+tool

They may seem expensive but they are worth every penny in my opinion. Extremely versatile tools. I don't know how anyone builds a cab without one.

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
« Reply #50 on: July 22, 2015, 11:00:51 am »
The slotting bit I need is a 3/16" or 1/8" ?

Have a look at T-molding.com  This page in particular tells you the exact slot cutter size you need for the "spine" size of the t-molding:

http://www.t-molding.com/installation-tools.html
If you can read this, it means Photobucket's money grab ruined my signature photos.

deezdrama

• Offline Offline
« Reply #51 on: July 22, 2015, 12:49:26 pm »
I need some opinions...

I put my 4p vendetta cab on craigslist for 250, Ive had alot of $150 offers.
Debating if I should sell it or keep it for the coin doors.
It has 2 dual coin door/mechs , and 2 of the doors for accessing the coin buckets, and 2 coin buckets.
I see coin mechs are pricey.Could these be used on my mame cab?
Are the coin doors just for looks/novelty more than function?
I mean dont most cabs with coin doors also have coin buttons on cp?

selling it would give me a little cash to throw at the 32" tv i need , but if coin doors are desireable than id probably save money using these than buying new.

Whats your thoughts on coin doors? Do you actually use them? Or does the quarter feeding get old and eventually bypassed?

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2015, 01:00:59 pm »
I see coin mechs are pricey.Could these be used on my mame cab?

Yes. Unless they have been abused and the switch doesn't work on them. (But then you can just replace that too)

Are the coin doors just for looks/novelty more than function?

I love the look of coin doors because they add to the charm and authentic look. But they can also function just the same.

I mean don't most cabs with coin doors also have coin buttons on cp?

Yes, but even that is up to you. I'd definitely put coin buttons on the cp. You will disappoint yourself later if you don't.

Whats your thoughts on coin doors? Do you actually use them? Or does the quarter feeding get old and eventually bypassed?

Feeding quarters gets old very quickly and using a coin button is the way to go. However, it's fun sometimes to show a friend that the coin mech works just like a real arcade.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 02:06:05 pm by vwalbridge »

BGoulette

• Offline Offline
    • lazerjoose.com
« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2015, 01:11:48 pm »
As far as coin doors go, I have a friend who's reserved an over/under setup for me (not sure if the mechs work, but I'll fix them or get new), and whenver I get my stuff together, my goal is to have my kids earn tokens which they can then spend on the machine.

I, of course, get freeplay  >:D

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2015, 02:02:41 pm »
Coin doors on any arcade project. Otherwise, it's just a piece of furniture that can play video games. :cheers:

deezdrama

• Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: July 22, 2015, 02:21:22 pm »
Ok.... i dont want to skimp on the coin mechs.

The question now is....

Would you rob the vendetta cab of the coin doors, or sell the vendetta cab for $150 to go torwards new coin doors?

do all 4 player games require 4 coin mechs or could one get by on 4p games with 1 coin mech?

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:20:30 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #56 on: July 22, 2015, 04:02:36 pm »
do all 4 player games require 4 coin mechs or could one get by on 4p games with 1 coin mech?

Some games require each player have their own mech/coin input , like TMNT. You can somewhat get around this by mapping 1 coin input to all 4 players. This will create the issue of , for example, all 4 turtles getting credits when only 1 to 3 people are playing.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

deezdrama

• Offline Offline
« Reply #57 on: July 22, 2015, 04:06:33 pm »

Some games require each player have their own mech/coin input , like TMNT. You can somewhat get around this by mapping 1 coin input to all 4 players. This will create the issue of , for example, all 4 turtles getting credits when only 1 to 3 people are playing.

I could live with that solong as it dont drop all 4 players in game as soon as they get credits. Know of any games that do that?

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #58 on: July 22, 2015, 04:32:08 pm »

WHAT ABOUT OMEGA RACE BRAH!!!!

deezdrama

• Offline Offline
« Reply #59 on: July 22, 2015, 08:54:08 pm »
Got the top back panel cut and screwed in, need more ply.

I had a piece of the 3/4 pine left so figured Id use it for the CP top.
Laid out the template and centerpunched everything. Then came the rookie mistake......  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:
I didnt clamp the sheet down and on my first button hole when it broke through it grabbed and tore a chunk out of the hole. Was going to quit but figured I would finish it and use it as practice.
After clamping I didnt have any issues..... So what can I do? Fill the area that tore out with putty and then shape that button hole with my dremel and a sanding drum?

I drilled the holes on an old table so had a surface under the CP and figured that would stop splintering on the backside....It didnt  :angry:
The angle grinder and a resin sanding pad made short work of removing the splintered areas and its smooth as a babys but t , Now though theres a slight dishing on the backside of the button groups, Will this cause any issues with buttons sitting flush?

Oh I tried the spade drilling halfway then flipping and finished from other side on a scrap piece- and it splintered even worse.
It looks fine now that I sanded the splinters away but had to dish out about 1/16" of material so just worried about that causing issues.

edit..... also.... does the stick holes look too close to the buttons?  :badmood:
( this is how the template was I got online, I thought they looked too close but figured once it was drilled/cut out at 100% size it would be ok but they still look close to me.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 09:00:51 pm by deezdrama »

Slippyblade

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
« Reply #60 on: July 23, 2015, 01:20:18 am »
Don't worry in the slightest about the backside.  I mean, you'd literally need to run a table saw across the button clusters for it to make any difference.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:20:30 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #61 on: July 23, 2015, 07:22:19 am »

WHAT ABOUT OMEGA RACE BRAH!!!!

:laugh2:  :laugh2:  :laugh2:
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
« Reply #62 on: July 23, 2015, 12:13:15 pm »
splintering on the backside.

You probably already realize this now but next time use a Forstner Drill Bit

Of course, a Forstner bit will not stop the splintering, only a scrap board on the backside can stop that. But a Forster bit does a more elegant job and is easier to control than a spade bit.

does the stick holes look too close to the buttons?

Hard to tell for sure in the pictures, but they do look a little tight to me. Specifically the 2 layouts in the center of the control panel. I'd be really sure you are ok with that arrangement. Now is the time .
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 01:02:01 pm by vwalbridge »

deezdrama

• Offline Offline
« Reply #63 on: July 23, 2015, 12:43:11 pm »
Anyone know the average (or their) distance from center of stick to edge of closest button?

Scotty_C

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 02:54:51 pm
  • The addiction is strong!!
« Reply #64 on: July 23, 2015, 01:02:29 pm »
Well center of joystick hole (5/8") to center of the closest button hole (30mm) on my design is 2.97"
Center of joystick hole to edge of button hole(30mm) is 2.38" (approx 60mm)

Looking at your pics I think you are good to go

deezdrama

• Offline Offline
« Reply #65 on: July 23, 2015, 02:24:45 pm »
Well center of joystick hole (5/8") to center of the closest button hole (30mm) on my design is 2.97"
Center of joystick hole to edge of button hole(30mm) is 2.38" (approx 60mm)

Looking at your pics I think you are good to go
appreciate it !

I will check mine when I get home from this sweatshop

deezdrama

• Offline Offline
« Reply #66 on: July 23, 2015, 05:53:21 pm »
Center to center I only got about 2.75"
My old vendetta cab has 3.5"

I dont understand why with such a big CP someone laid it out that close.

Its going to have to work I guess

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #67 on: July 23, 2015, 07:20:48 pm »

Because you're planning to squeeze 4 mofos around that thing?

deezdrama

• Offline Offline
« Reply #68 on: July 23, 2015, 07:54:57 pm »

Because you're planning to squeeze 4 mofos around that thing?
Lol true man true.... I think It will be ok, Im not going to change things to find out the trackball wont fit down the road.

I cut the CP out.... the 2 radius cuts called for a 3" hole saw but biggest I have is 2.5" Still need to get a 3" for the trackball.
Anyway cut it out with my janky skillsaw and it turned out great. Except that one chipped button hole- drives me nuts seeing it  :banghead:
Will get putty and more ply this weekend.

Mocked the CP up on the cab..... finally!.....starting to look like something  :applaud: Still.... A long way to go.

I have a new found respect for cabinet builders. Its a long detail orientated project. Fun but daunting for me as its my first build and still clueless about the proper way to do everything like mounting the sticks etc.... before I even jump that far ahead I still need to complete my CP and it has alot of angles and I have no miter  :dunno
To make things worse...I got in a hurry to start the project and somehow missed Chances comment that he cut his sides to hold the CP at a slight angle so now must angle my CP frame  :banghead:

I was lined up to sell my vendetta cab for $225 this weekend but now having second thoughts. I just found out about those 500-in-1....  619-in-1 .....xxxx-in-1 jamma boards and think it would be nice to install one in the vendetta cab and just move the p3,p4 buttons to players 1 and 2 giving both players 6. Then Id have a beater machine for the garage and it would hold me over while I took my time finishing this project.
Could also borrow one of the old cabs dual coin doors for this new project.

But then another part of me says to sell it and use the money to get the 32" screen I need. Im tight on funds right now with 4 kids going back to school soon. Uggg....what to do.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 07:59:12 pm by deezdrama »

deezdrama

• Offline Offline
« Reply #69 on: July 23, 2015, 07:55:43 pm »
oooops double post

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 07, 2021, 02:52:06 pm
« Reply #70 on: July 23, 2015, 08:36:00 pm »
...somehow missed Chances comment that he cut his sides to hold the CP at a slight angle so now must angle my CP frame.

Yeh, haha. That 4° angle is in the finished plans I have in my thread that are available for download. You're building from my "pre-production" plans, remeber.  To save time and pulling your hair out trying to design an angled CP box, I'd put a protractor up to the sides and add that slant to the ledges before going any further. Put it on its side and just trim them up with a scroll saw.

deezdrama

• Offline Offline
« Reply #71 on: July 23, 2015, 08:40:09 pm »
...somehow missed Chances comment that he cut his sides to hold the CP at a slight angle so now must angle my CP frame.

Yeh, haha. That 4° angle is in the finished plans I have in my thread that are available for download. You're building from my "pre-production" plans, remeber.  To save time and pulling your hair out trying to design an angled CP box, I'd put a protractor up to the sides and add that slant to the ledges before going any further. Put it on its side and just trim them up with a scroll saw.

Yeah... I thought about doing something like that problem is Ive got that CP cross support board already glued/screwed in and another strip glued/screwed to the front of that.

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 07, 2021, 02:52:06 pm
« Reply #72 on: July 23, 2015, 08:52:09 pm »
Pull the screws, then take a skil saw and cut them off. Problem solved. :D

deezdrama

• Offline Offline
« Reply #73 on: July 23, 2015, 09:07:47 pm »
Pull the screws, then take a skil saw and cut them off. Problem solved. :D

Ill probably give a go at the angled frame with the scrap ply I have...... and when that dont work (lol) ill go back and angle my side panels

deezdrama

• Offline Offline
« Reply #74 on: July 24, 2015, 05:22:29 pm »
Whats the best thing to use one that notched out button hole? Bought some wood filler but dont know if it will work.
I have some marine epoxy putty.... think I should use that? Or should I get bondo?

Slippyblade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #75 on: July 24, 2015, 05:32:56 pm »
The notching is on the under/back side isn't it?  If so, don't worry about it.  The nuts have enough surface area that they really don't care, combined with the surface area of the button bezel...  LOADS of sins just disappear.

deezdrama

• Offline Offline
« Reply #76 on: July 24, 2015, 05:37:09 pm »
The notching is on the under/back side isn't it?  If so, don't worry about it.  The nuts have enough surface area that they really don't care, combined with the surface area of the button bezel...  LOADS of sins just disappear.

The first hole I drilled before I clamped the piece jumped on me and tore a chunk out of the button hole making it oblong  I dont think the button bezel will cover it.

Slippyblade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #77 on: July 24, 2015, 05:38:32 pm »
Worst case, if the bezel doesn't cover it, is to just use some wood filler or bondo.  LOVE me some bondo, fixes more screwups than you can shake a joystick at.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #78 on: July 24, 2015, 05:42:26 pm »
The few times I've done that, I use wood filler. But like Slippy says, see if the button bezel (or your artwork) covers it up. Unless you're that anal-retentive, it shouldn't have an effect on anything.

deezdrama

• Offline Offline
« Reply #79 on: July 25, 2015, 11:28:29 pm »
Spent the whole day making sawdust and emptying beer bottles  :cheers:  I will be sooooooo glad when the woodworking phase is over!!!   :dizzy:

First I cut out the front bottom panel, the rear bottom panel, and then the front door. What type of hinge will work with this? (see bottom pic)

Then I used filler to fix the chipped out button hole, it worked pretty good....

Spent most of the day mapping out my bottom CP base and sides of the box.
Brainstorming I think I came up with an idea that will work pretty good to get the slant I need in my CP.
I plotted out the base to be wrapped with the sides instead of sides sitting ontop of the CP base.
Cut my box strips and I used a grinder/ sanding pad to angle the ends. This worked fast and easy.

I covered the outside perimeter of the CP base with clear packing tape to prevent glue from sticking to it and built my box around the base- gluing and pinning with finishing nails.

Once it is cured I will remove the base and flip the box over, the side that sat on the floor will be flush and will be the top that the CP top sits on. Then I can insert the base back in the box and I will set my height in the rear of the CP and pin the CP base inside the box with 2 screws, then the CP base will be able to freely move inside the box like a hinge. This will let me swivel the front down to get the angle I want, glue and screw it, while keeping a flush top and all the excess at the bottom- below the base that I will remove with skill saw and sand flush with grinder.

Then I can use filler, and straighten/shape all the box edges.
Is a piano hinge what I need or is there other more preferred alternatives?