Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: MortalKab 4 player DIY slim arcade cabinet/ Finished / Update?  (Read 81523 times)

deezdrama

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 25, 2024, 09:45:32 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,146268.0.html
Growing up in the late 80's / early 90's I spent many days dumping quarters in the local arcades. Now as an adult...Ive always wanted an arcade cab but never tackled the DIY approach and an original cab was too big/heavy so was out of question.

I dont know how many "DIY arcade cab", "How to build an arcade cabinet", "DIY MAME cab" articles I read over the years but never committed.
After reading many helpful builds like ChanceKJ's awesome cab I finally gained the confidence to give it a shot.  :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:
I couldnt of done it without this forum and all the helpful members who helped with my onslaught of questions!

This build process will be a log of my progress and struggles building a 4 player slim DIY arcade cab from scratch from the perspective of your average - everyday DIY-er.
I didn't have access to fancy equipment and because of this had to do alot of out of the box techniques and solutions using your everyday tools most guys have in their garage already. This is not a full blown step by step guide but just a build process with me asking alot of questions to hopefully help your "average joe" in the future to gain a grasp and the confidence to tackle a project like this. It was a long project but very rewarding in the end. This cabinet is not perfect but Im happy with it considering the common tools used in the process.

UPDATE JAN 2021....
ITS BEEN 5 YEARS SINCE THIS BUILD AND I DECIDED TO COMPLETELY OVERHAUL THIS CAB. New lighting, RGB buttons, rebuilding joysticks, complete rewiring...etc....

TO JUMP TO THE 5 YEAR REBUILD CLICK THIS LINK...

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,146268.msg1730445.html#msg1730445

« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 03:13:17 pm by deezdrama »

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:02:22 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
Re: I got wood.... Ive commited :D (first build.... hold my hand)
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 05:27:16 pm »
C'mon man, use a better title for your official build thread.  ;D
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Slippyblade

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 05:28:58 pm »
With the amount of stress that a CP takes, I'd figure some way of supporting from the underside.  Even if all you did was attach "arms" of 1x4 inside the panels sticking out the front that you could sort of hang the CP on.

deezdrama

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2015, 05:33:54 pm »
Lol..... Probablly will drive you guys nuts with all my questions...so I apologize in advance.lol

Im 35 and wanted to build a mame cab for at least a decade.
I bought a 4 player Vendetta machine about 5 years ago that fully works and was going to run a pc along side the original setup but the ol' lady said "that huge ugly thing is not going in my living room"

Then I seen chances slim cab 4 player- 32" display cabinet and had a change of plans.
Showed my ol lady a picture of his cab and asked if I build one like this can it go in the living room?....she replied "if it looks like that,ya" lol..... Chance set the bar high, ill be happy if it turns out half as good with half the bells and whistles.

Im going to be realistic and set a winterish finish time frame. So Im going to break it down into sections and just focus on each one at a time so im not asking a million questions for steps im nowhere near yet.

My first step is to finalize my side of cab plan and get the sides cut and then get my monitor and set my width and get the back etc cut and the cab assembled.

So I ran to lowes after I left work and I think the 100+ degree heat I was in allday got to me because I ended up buying 3 sheets of
3/4" x 20" x 72" sanded craft pine sheets.
The furniture grade ply 4x8 sheets were $55 and didnt look as straight as the stuff I got and figured solid wood would take the router slotting better than ply.
Also the plans I looked up for a skinny cab showed 20" width which is what these are....
problem is I didnt consider the ledge that sticks out on the front that the CP sits on.
So..... has anyone just attatched there CP straight to the front of the cab without a CP ledge for it to sit on?
(I think i seen a guy use small monitor flushmount brakets to hand a CP but dont know if I like that idea)

Another thing I noticed when I got home is how many nots are in the boards. Alot of puttying :(
Or I guess I could go with a stained woodgrain cab but wanted kitana,mileena,chun-li side art.

Do you guys think this wood will work? What about the CP ledge issue?

Hopefully will get the sides cut tonight or tomorrow.

C'mon man, use a better title for your official build thread.  ;D

you mean you dont shout it out when u get wood? Lol

changed it
« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 02:15:15 am by deezdrama »

Slippyblade

• Offline Offline
Re: First build/ 32" lcd slimcab 4 player..... lots of questions
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2015, 05:36:56 pm »
you mean you dont shout it out when u get wood? Lol

I do, every time I come home from Home Depot.  I can't resist the urge.  I know it's juvenile and the wife sneers at me every time I do it...  meh.

deezdrama

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2015, 05:50:22 pm »
With the amount of stress that a CP takes, I'd figure some way of supporting from the underside.  Even if all you did was attach "arms" of 1x4 inside the panels sticking out the front that you could sort of hang the CP on.

Yeah, I guess I could anchor arms to inside the side panels like you suggest, then add another shorter piece butted right up against the side panel ... this would hide the problem and make it look like it was part of the side panels.

Hard to explain and too lazy to 3d sketch it.

Well this isnt a good start.... already rigging things and havnt even started yet.lol.

Thats what I get I guess for trying to go with fancy precut wood. Oh well, Ill make it work.

deezdrama

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2015, 05:55:39 pm »
I need to start planning what controls I need to order.

Id like led lit buttons and balltop sticks.... any suggestions?

Also debating on if I need spinners? Ive never played a game that used them so dont know if I would be missing out on anything.... probably just skip them. I dont want a clusterf### CP

But yeah..... Ill mostly be playing fighters.... I know theres different types of buttons (have no experience with any of them)
Im not real picky. Just want some led lit ones that will function good for fighters and wont break the bank.

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 07, 2021, 02:52:06 pm
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2015, 06:14:42 pm »
Thanks for the kind words.

If you're usin my plans/build as a base make sure you take time and read the thread, it will have most answers in there. If you have a question that the thread just can't answer then let me know.

Oh and do yourself a favour. If you want to use my same side panels then download my plans from the build thread, take the PDF file to Staples (or anywhere else where you live that can print on large rolled paper) and have them print you a full size 1-1 template to cut your wood from. You can use spray adhesive or masking tape to attach that to a sheet of 8x4' plywood and cut out your side panels. Easy as pie.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,135116.msg1473385.html#msg1473385

Slippyblade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2015, 06:18:35 pm »
Here's a quick SketchUp of what I was thinking.  Hope it makes sense.  I've attached a pic and the sketchup file.

deezdrama

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2015, 06:43:33 pm »
Here's a quick SketchUp of what I was thinking.  Hope it makes sense.  I've attached a pic and the sketchup file.

good idea but dont know if it will work with a giant 4 player cp.I guess i could slot it bisquit n glue the ledge piece on... might just go back and get the 4x8 sheets.

Thanks for the kind words.

If you're usin my plans/build as a base make sure you take time and read the thread, it will have most answers in there. If you have a question that the thread just can't answer then let me know.

Oh and do yourself a favour. If you want to use my same side panels then download my plans from the build thread, take the PDF file to Staples (or anywhere else where you live that can print on large rolled paper) and have them print you a full size 1-1 template to cut your wood from. You can use spray adhesive or masking tape to attach that to a sheet of 8x4' plywood and cut out your side panels. Easy as pie.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,135116.msg1473385.html#msg1473385

Yeah, ive been super busy at work,lowes, taking my boy to karate..... Had about an hour of free time to run to lowes earlier, planned on getting 4x8 sheets of ply but $55 just seemed too much compared to the solid, planed flat and sanded hobby planks I got.
I was ill prepared and didnt have dimesions on me had to check out that sketch on your thread for general dimensions. I'll have to see if I can add the CP ledge....Once I get home im going to download your files.
I dont have any cad programs... doesnt google have a free sketch program? Will it open in that?

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2015, 06:56:17 pm »
You won't need a CAD program. Like i said just take the PDF files to a staples and have them print them on the largest roll printer they have. Use those wood panels you bought for the CP or something.  overall I used three, 4x8 sheets of cabinet grade ply that cost like $75 a sheet. It's not cheap. But remember you'll have a better end result if you avoid cutting corners (literally).

Here are the rough dimensions minus a 4° tilt in the CP ledge and the rounded corners. You'll find both of those in the PDF.

deezdrama

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2015, 08:29:48 pm »
You won't need a CAD program. Like i said just take the PDF files to a staples and have them print them on the largest roll printer they have. Use those wood panels you bought for the CP or something.  overall I used three, 4x8 sheets of cabinet grade ply that cost like $75 a sheet. It's not cheap. But remember you'll have a better end result if you avoid cutting corners (literally).

Here are the rough dimensions minus a 4° tilt in the CP ledge and the rounded corners. You'll find both of those in the PDF.

cool man, looks like with the wood I got I will only be missing that small 2 1/4" angled ledge right under the CP. I think I will be alright with that.

deezdrama

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2015, 11:00:11 pm »
Hey Chance.... hopefully you see this, got a ? for ya.

In your thread before you began you had 2 sets of side panel plans.
Im using the set that didnt have the ledge below the control panel because that ledgeless design fits my 20" x 6ft sheets of pine perfect.

Anyway... before I cut I just want to make sure a 32" lcd will fit in here.
All the height dimensions on most 32" tv's Ive looked at have a height of around 20" but the plans call for 1' 6 7/16" ... or 18  7/16"

Just want to make sure a 32" lcd with 20" will fit in there. I know the panel will be recessed back a bit and that might buy an inch or two.... just wanted to double check.

Or if anyone else can chime in its appreciated.

oh..... in the pic I got 20" pulled out on the tape for reference to height of standard 32" displays.

edit.....sorry---my stupid phone is uploading the pics 90* off
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 11:02:34 pm by deezdrama »

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2015, 01:55:52 am »
The height of the cab (in this case) will have zero issues with the display.  Make a cardboard cutout of the thickness and height of your display and place it on top of your sheet of wood.

deezdrama

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2015, 12:58:51 pm »
The height of the cab (in this case) will have zero issues with the display.  Make a cardboard cutout of the thickness and height of your display and place it on top of your sheet of wood.

Im not sure which exact 32" model I will get yet but most heights ive looked at range from 19-20"
The angled display length part of the panel is 18 7/16" im guessing it will work fine as the bezel of the tv will be hidden.

Will probably get the tv this weekend.
I need to get more wood,castors, and a few things.....
I hope to make some progress this weekend

Is there dimensions or plans for the control panel anywhere?
Are they in your cad files?

Thanks

deezdrama

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2015, 07:34:37 pm »
Not very exciting but its a start.
Dont have a plunge router yet so cloned them with resin sanding pads on my grinder.

It turned out better than I thought considering what I used (30 year old sears skillsaw, and a grinder lmao)
I can improvise though. I noticed a slight bow in both panels.... hopefully it wont throw anything off.

I need to build a track for my circular saw so I can rip the rest of the pieces.
Hopefully will make some progress this weekend.

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2015, 08:17:34 pm »
As long as your cuts are square you shouldn't have to worry about the slight bow in the panels, just make sure you clamp/glue/pilot/screw everything and take your time. 

Sorry, I don't have the CP layout available. Try this link:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,83312.msg945960.html#msg945960

deezdrama

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2015, 08:40:53 pm »
As long as your cuts are square you shouldn't have to worry about the slight bow in the panels, just make sure you clamp/glue/pilot/screw everything and take your time. 

Sorry, I don't have the CP layout available. Try this link:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,83312.msg945960.html#msg945960

ok.... if you ever got a minute and remember .... Id really appreciate if you could measure the length of the cp... if I knew the overall length, I could figure out the dimensions fairly close. If not, no biggie....Ill just wing it or design something different.

Thanks

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2015, 03:38:56 am »
Jarrett's first image is 1-to-1. Have it printed off in black and white on roll paper (should be only a couple bucks at staples) you can use it as a template. I would strongly suggest doing that.

deezdrama

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2015, 09:59:59 pm »
Ok.... I had time to throw his pic in photoshop and make a cutting template out of it.
I removed some things, moved things around, and added some slope to the p1 p2 buttons.

When I selected the button/stick/ball areas and stroked them to a new layer I stroked at 5px width.... I hope that picks up good on print.

Might see if my engineer can print this out on his blueprint printer at work but not sure what width his printer can handle.... I dont want to loose scale and hes the type of engineer that keeps a handfull of shims in his back pocket lmao.... dont want to deal with staples or anything local and deal with the weird stares lol

Whats some good options for print services on the net?
I want to start on my art but need to catch some sleep and get supplies in the AM and get this cab knocked out.

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2015, 10:13:04 pm »
Haha, don't over think it. I bet that will be $5 at staples you'll be in and out in 8 minutes. I print all my draft artwork and side panel blueprints there now. Never get an odd look. Just people blown away that this is an actual hobby.

deezdrama

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2015, 10:16:51 pm »
Haha, don't over think it. I bet that will be $5 at staples you'll be in and out in 8 minutes. I print all my draft artwork and side panel blueprints there now. Never get an odd look. Just people blown away that this is an actual hobby.

what media do u use to get them the file? Email,sd,usb?
What do you say... you just want a "to scale" rough print ?

deezdrama

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2015, 10:24:41 pm »
Oh.... and does my button layout look ok?
To me it looks like the whole 7 button set for p1 / p2 could be rotated clockwise a bit but i dont know.
And is the 4 mame buttons enough for mapping to things? This is my first cab and clueless.
Ive ran hyperspin before and an older mame years and years ago but have forgotten everything

deezdrama

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2015, 10:26:57 pm »
oops double post
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 11:03:30 pm by deezdrama »

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2015, 01:17:59 am »
Just a USB drive, throw the file on there and tell them you'd like it printed on the large format roll paper 1 to 1. You don't want them to scale down the image.

The buttons and layout you choose is QUITE subjective and commenting on it will start a massive dibate that I'm not wiling to be a part of. :) read a few threads and look at a few builds in the "completed builds" section. Maybe think about the games you really want to play in it and go from there.

deezdrama

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2015, 05:06:58 am »
Heres what Ive came up with sofar. I feel like its missing lines.
I try to select the border of the panel then scale the selection in some so I can stroke the selection to make some pinstripes around the perimeter of the panel....but it only lets me distort the selection- It wont let me scale if that makes any sense. I havnt used illustrator in a decade. Anyone know of an easy way to add lines to this in photoshop?

This is my first time designing a control panel so If anyone has any suggestions or anything to make it better let me know.

deezdrama

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2015, 11:24:38 am »
Heres what Ive came up with sofar. I feel like its missing lines.
I try to select the border of the panel then scale the selection in some so I can stroke the selection to make some pinstripes around the perimeter of the panel....but it only lets me distort the selection- It wont let me scale if that makes any sense. I havnt used illustrator in a decade. Anyone know of an easy way to add lines to this in photoshop?

This is my first time designing a control panel so If anyone has any suggestions or anything to make it better let me know.

after getting some much needed sleep, I have some ideas for this CP that should make it look better, also.... have ideas for sideart that I want to work on but its all going to have to wait- I need to get going on building the cab so off to get some materials.

I have a question. Ive seen some people install there CP art with and without plexi ontop of it. Whats the pros cons of those two choices and if I got with plexi do i need to use a thinner board for cp top so that I end up with 3/4" for the t molding?

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2015, 03:46:51 pm »
Um, ugh. I know it's not positive,  but that was my first reaction. Especially with the mud flap trackball art.

deezdrama

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2015, 10:21:30 pm »
Um, ugh. I know it's not positive,  but that was my first reaction. Especially with the mud flap trackball art.
Lmao, ya its not going to be for everybody...
Got about 6 hours in today on it, didnt get nearly as much done as I thought I would , but I would rather take my time and make sure its done right even if it takes untill winter.
I got most of the glue boards in but cant install the front ones untill I get my 32" in there.

Ive been trying to cheap out on having to buy a router but looks like t-molding is the way to go. Guess ill get a cheapy ....as long as it lasts to finish this project ill be ok with it.

Whats the consensus on the CP top piece? 3/4" and vinyl, or 1/2" and a 1/4" plexi over it?
Anybody use 2" castors before? Think they will handle the load? They are rated at 90lbs ea.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2015, 10:40:14 pm »
My advice on theme... pick a theme you like, then make it look like it was a dedicated version of that theme. Look at pictures of a bunch of different cabs, real, original cabs, for ideas that you like. in the end, you'll be happier, and your cab will look better.

My $0.02. :cheers:

deezdrama

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2015, 09:39:10 pm »
My advice on theme... pick a theme you like, then make it look like it was a dedicated version of that theme. Look at pictures of a bunch of different cabs, real, original cabs, for ideas that you like. in the end, you'll be happier, and your cab will look better.

Oh ya... My racy art taste will probably not be liked... but I guess as long as I like it ,thats all that matters. Ive got an old buddy who is a glass blower and neon tube builder. Hes kinda went under since the tech advance of LED's but ive got some ideas that I might get with him about. Also thinking about maybe a UV marquee....just dont know yet.

Anyway made some decent progress today. Got the base built with castors installed.... build my $10 version of a track saw (worth its weight in gold) and ripped the bottom base, middle shelf, and the CP crossmember.

Glued and screwed the cab together and its sitting square.... happy with the results sofar.

I went to menards instead of lowes today.... Much better plywood options and much cheaper. Now I wish I would of went there to begin with and used the ply I just bought for the sides... oh well, Ill have to bondo or woodputty all the knots in the sides but it will be alright.

Ive got 2 dual coin doors/mechs in my old Vendetta cab, Im wondering if I should desecrate the cab for them and try to add blue coin return buttons.

Anyone know what joysticks this old 4p Vendetta cab has in it?

Chance...... If you read this..... Did you put a slant in your side panels for the CP or did you angle the CP itself?
Mines already square at the side panels so Im going to have to build my CP with an angle to it.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2015, 09:51:30 pm »

Oh ya... My racy art taste will probably not be liked... but I guess as long as I like it ,thats all that matters.

Very true. Good luck with your build.

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2015, 10:01:47 pm »
This finished side panel art has a 4° slant to it. WAY less complicated then making a slant on the CP box.

deezdrama

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2015, 10:06:43 pm »
This finished side panel art has a 4° slant to it. WAY less complicated then making a slant on the CP box.

yeah.... I feared having to slant each piece of the CP.... but its all I can do now. Will take a little longer but ill get it.

Whats the minimum clearance needed under the CP? I mean like.... what sticks out the most and how much. Im thinking it will be the Trackball but not sure.

Anyway.... did you plexi over your CP or left the vinyl? Im not sure if I thould use 1/2" ply and 1/4" plexi or just 3/4" ply and bare vinyl

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2015, 10:11:56 pm »
You do know this is all documented in my build thread, right?  :D

No plexi, but I did have the printer use matte vinyl laminate on the art. I think my CP box is 4" on the inside. I'm not at home right now I can't check. But I'm pretty sure that's in the build thread.

deezdrama

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2015, 10:18:30 pm »
You do know this is all documented in my build thread, right?  :D

No plexi, but I did have the printer use matte vinyl laminate on the art. I think my CP box is 4" on the inside. I'm not at home right now I can't check. But I'm pretty sure that's in the build thread.

My bad man, Ive read through your build page by page at least 3 times. Its a long thread.... ive tried to take notes on stuff I think I will need to know but some details ive forgotten or couldnt find.

Just figured it would be fresh in your head man, I told you....youd regret offering me to "just ask" if i had any questions in my other thread....lmao

I understand though.... im sure its a pain in the a. -- to deal with mame cab noobs. This is the only reason Im documenting my build....maybee it will help someone in the future.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 10:46:38 pm by deezdrama »

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2015, 10:31:12 pm »
i regret nothing. never do.

just pointing it out in case you're in a hurry.

deezdrama

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2015, 10:56:31 pm »
Just wanted to add some details about this diy track saw for others who are broke or trying to build a cab and dont have $500 to buy one or have access to a table saw.

Its a 1/2" by 6" piece of aspen I bought at menards. Screwed a piece of $10 aluminum angle to the edge. I think my piece of angle (already had from another project) was 1"x 1".
An inch was too tall for my circular saw to clear so had to cutoff 1/2" . I think a 1/2" x1/2" piece of aluminum angle should work for most circular saws. I drilled holes in the angle and fastened it to the edge of the piece of 6" aspen. The angle gives the circular a straight edge to ride against and make straight cuts.

The first time you run it... it will cut off any excess material from the aspen 6" piece. After that, you can rip perfectly straight cuts in plywood by just lining the edge of the aspen track with your cut marks.

Works great.
Figured it may help someone without access to a tablesaw and on a budget.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 05:22:02 am by deezdrama »

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2021, 12:21:09 pm
  • Don't half-ass two things, whole-ass one thing.
« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2015, 02:25:43 pm »
This is a good tip for those really long cuts. But for what it's worth, you can actually build the fence with even less parts:

Just cut off one side of the factory-cut straight edge of the board. Then flip it over, screw it into itself making that factory edge the new fence. Then rip off the excess. Final result looks like this:
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 02:28:36 pm by vwalbridge »
If you can read this, it means Photobucket's money grab ruined my signature photos.

deezdrama

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2015, 02:53:40 pm »
This is a good tip for those really long cuts. But for what it's worth, you can actually build the fence with even less parts:

Just cut off one side of the factory-cut straight edge of the board. Then flip it over, screw it into itself making that factory edge the new fence. Then rip off the excess. Final result looks like this:

Now why didnt I think of that  :banghead:
excellent tip!