Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: READY PLAYER ONE: Arcade Cabinet Build (First Build **ALMOST COMPLETE**)  (Read 54233 times)

KPowers

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2016, 12:03:43 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: READY PLAYER ONE: Arcade Cabinet Build (First Build)
« Reply #80 on: August 14, 2015, 02:00:12 pm »
Let me be the first to comment on your theme. Friggin awesome!! The artwork looks great. Did you create it yourself? You choose a awesome build to emulate.

Vidiot

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 10:00:17 am
  • John 3:16
« Reply #81 on: August 14, 2015, 03:50:08 pm »
Let me be the first to comment on your theme. Friggin awesome!! The artwork looks great. Did you create it yourself? You choose a awesome build to emulate.

+1

This is coming together nicely. Subbed!

Pauly

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 17, 2020, 12:00:27 am
  • Greetings, Starfighter.
« Reply #82 on: August 18, 2015, 02:52:08 pm »

Thank you for your kind words. As much as I would like to say I did everything from scratch - I really did a lot of photoshoppin' and Illustrator. Like ChanceKJ, I am a Graphic Designer by profession. However, I am VERY critical of stuff I do for myself. Even this artwork I do not feel is quite there yet, but I am tweaking.
Pauly

Pauly

• Offline Offline
« Reply #83 on: August 18, 2015, 02:56:40 pm »
Ok, so I got a question for you guys. I have a Surface Pro 2 that pretty much lays around my office. As a temporary fix I am going to use this as my machine for the cab until I want to whip out the wallet to upgrade. Since it's practically a laptop, whats the best way to do power with this thing?

Is it going to be where I am essentially going to have to open the cab and turn it on every time? Would love to do the 1 button turns everything on thing.

Anyways looking for suggestions. Thanks as always. :cheers:
Pauly

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2021, 12:21:09 pm
  • Don't half-ass two things, whole-ass one thing.
« Reply #84 on: August 18, 2015, 03:16:55 pm »
Some computers have an option in the BIOS to turn on the machine by other means. I don't own a surface pro 2 and don't know much about them. Do they have a bios you can get into?

If so, (and if it even has the option) you could try the whole "Allow keyboards to turn on computer"

Of course, you are just trading one problem for another because you now have to put a keyboard somewhere.
If you can read this, it means Photobucket's money grab ruined my signature photos.

rablack97

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2022, 06:50:10 pm
  • If you don't try, you have no chance at innovation
« Reply #85 on: August 18, 2015, 03:17:37 pm »
One of these guys, they are called smart power strips.....

I'm not to versed in laptops, but i know you will have to crack it open to get the power button wires.  I know in my cabs, i just take a normal arcade button and find the power wire the goes to the mother board, remove that and replace with the 2 lines from the button.

Plug pc in the master control, monitor and any other peripherals into the switching sockets....One off and on....

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
« Reply #86 on: August 18, 2015, 03:34:02 pm »
smart power strips.....

This is the device I first thought of for Pauly but it only solves half his problem. He is still going to have to power the tablet on. This device is just going to provide power to everything when told so.
If you can read this, it means Photobucket's money grab ruined my signature photos.

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #87 on: August 18, 2015, 03:36:08 pm »
smart power strips.....

This is the device I first thought of for Pauly but it only solves half his problem. He is still going to have to power the tablet on. This device is just going to provide power to everything when told so.

correct, so he will have to crack open the laptop and extend the power wire externally.

or he might try this

http://www.howtogeek.com/192642/how-to-remotely-turn-on-your-pc-over-the-internet/

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:19:17 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #88 on: August 18, 2015, 03:38:35 pm »
Ok, so I got a question for you guys. I have a Surface Pro 2 that pretty much lays around my office. As a temporary fix I am going to use this as my machine for the cab until I want to whip out the wallet to upgrade. Since it's practically a laptop, whats the best way to do power with this thing?

Is it going to be where I am essentially going to have to open the cab and turn it on every time? Would love to do the 1 button turns everything on thing.

Why not sell the Surface and use the money for the upgrade?  :dunno
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
« Reply #89 on: August 18, 2015, 03:47:35 pm »

This ^ might be an even better idea if you are up for it and it fetches a decent price.

Here is why:

1. You are probably going to crack open that suface in such a way that it will never go back together again.
2. Even if you do get it open, you are going to need a microscope and some serious soldering skills to extend power wires off those solder points. Trust me, I know first hand. My father-in-law solders microscopically for a living so I was lucky enough to have him do this exact thing for the pico computer in my Coleco build.   

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 07, 2021, 02:52:06 pm
« Reply #90 on: August 18, 2015, 03:51:29 pm »
Yeah, i'd sell the surface for sure.

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #91 on: August 18, 2015, 04:20:40 pm »

Gentleman, apparently the man wants to play games now and not later  :dunno

But

:stupid
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 04:23:27 pm by rablack97 »

Pauly

• Offline Offline
« Reply #92 on: August 19, 2015, 02:48:12 am »
Lot of great ideas above. Thanks for the suggestions.

On a side note, I have made probably 8 different control panels for this project. However, tonight I had a breakthrough. For those of you who haven't read READY PLAYER ONE, Joust plays a major role in the story - it's really what starts the adventure. With that said, I took the Joust CP and made a 4 player version, but added the RPO twist in from the other pieces on the cab so it ties in. Let me what you guys think.

Pauly

Vidiot

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 10:00:17 am
  • John 3:16
« Reply #93 on: August 19, 2015, 06:23:41 am »
Lot of great ideas above. Thanks for the suggestions.

On a side note, I have made probably 8 different control panels for this project. However, tonight I had a breakthrough. For those of you who haven't read READY PLAYER ONE, Joust plays a major role in the story - it's really what starts the adventure. With that said, I took the Joust CP and made a 4 player version, but added the RPO twist in from the other pieces on the cab so it ties in. Let me what you guys think.

:applaud: That's beautiful! Now continue that theme and style to the rest of the cab! :)

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:19:17 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #94 on: August 19, 2015, 10:59:31 am »

Gentleman, apparently the man wants to play games now and not later  :dunno

Yeah, but why go though all that hacking and tearing up the Surface (and ruining it's potential resale value) for a "temporary fix" when for $20 he can get a Core2Duo off CL?  :afro:
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 31, 2023, 12:41:00 pm
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
« Reply #95 on: August 19, 2015, 11:52:14 am »
Holy crap that's some awesome artwork you put together there...

Green Giant

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 29, 2016, 06:50:57 pm
Re: Family Arcade Cabinet Build
« Reply #96 on: August 19, 2015, 12:27:50 pm »
I stayed with Hyperspin after not being very frustrated with Hyperspin. Set it up once, never have to again.  :cheers:

yotsuya is my homeboy. Us Hyperspin guys need to stick together.  ;)

I've set up 2 (highly modified) Hyperspin cinfigurations.  So if you decide to go that route hit me up if you need help. I feel like a Hyperspin Jedi now.

Also, since it looks like your cab is going to play mostly arcade games, it will make your life much easier. In all seriousness, I almost quit on Hyperspin twice but I'm SO glad I didn't. Sure, Hyperspin has it's annoyances just like anything else but the polished look far makes up for it in my opinion. Where people get into a lot of trouble is file names in Hyperspin. Hyperspin is very strict with file names. Games, videos, artwork, sounds, themes, etc must all have EXACTLY the same file names for the eco-system to jive.
As a hyperspin expert, what is the story behind the bugs I had heard about in it?  Something about a degradation or something that would eventually cause errors over time?
"He lives down there in his valley,
The cat stands tall and green,
Well, he ain't no prize, and there's no women his size,
And that's why the cat's so mean"
Toxic Arcade, my first build

Pauly

• Offline Offline
« Reply #97 on: August 19, 2015, 12:35:41 pm »
I am finally 95% happy with the CP design...now I got to apply that look to the rest of the cab so they match. Shame, cause I liked the Marquee - it's just not part of the same family anymore.

I will probably NOT be tearing apart my Surface and will most likely sell it to put towards a machine. I want to get a Surface Pro 3 anyways for my laptop - weighs about 50 lbs less. :lol
Pauly

Scotty_C

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 02:54:51 pm
  • The addiction is strong!!
« Reply #98 on: August 19, 2015, 03:25:10 pm »
Love the OND integration on the front panel! I plan on doing that as well on mine. Very nice job thus far!

ZexisStryfe

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2022, 02:24:12 pm
  • Evolution has begun...
« Reply #99 on: August 19, 2015, 09:24:20 pm »
I will probably NOT be tearing apart my Surface and will most likely sell it to put towards a machine. I want to get a Surface Pro 3 anyways for my laptop - weighs about 50 lbs less. :lol

Sell it now and then wait 2 months... the Surface Pro 4 is coming in October.

EvilNuff

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 24, 2024, 04:41:13 pm
« Reply #100 on: August 21, 2015, 02:52:51 pm »
I love this theme, I cannot wait to see it finished!

I don't know a CNC shop here in DFW (I am next door in Frisco by the way) but I am a woodworker as a hobby and can assist with any woodworking questions or tool needs you have.  In return I would, of course, expect to see the finished product when complete! :)

Thanks for sharing your progress!

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #101 on: August 21, 2015, 03:16:11 pm »
I love this theme, I cannot wait to see it finished!

I don't know a CNC shop here in DFW (I am next door in Frisco by the way) but I am a woodworker as a hobby and can assist with any woodworking questions or tool needs you have.  In return I would, of course, expect to see the finished product when complete! :)

Thanks for sharing your progress!

cool that makes 3 in the area, little elm, mckinney, frisco.

Do what i did, join the makerspace (50.00 a month) in carrollton, take a 50.00 cnc0 class, teach yourself vcarve and you have free access to a $30,000 cnc machine 24 hours a day 7 days a week, that you run yourself, just bring materials.  Design and cut your own layouts.

They even have laser cutters, an full wood work shop with a Saw stop, cnc mill you name it, such a treasure of commercial tools for 50 a month and low cost classes to teach you how to use it.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 03:18:10 pm by rablack97 »

EvilNuff

• Offline Offline
« Reply #102 on: August 21, 2015, 03:41:29 pm »
cool that makes 3 in the area, little elm, mckinney, frisco.

Do what i did, join the makerspace (50.00 a month) in carrollton, take a 50.00 cnc0 class, teach yourself vcarve and you have free access to a $30,000 cnc machine 24 hours a day 7 days a week, that you run yourself, just bring materials.  Design and cut your own layouts.

They even have laser cutters, an full wood work shop with a Saw stop, cnc mill you name it, such a treasure of commercial tools for 50 a month and low cost classes to teach you how to use it.

That's a pretty great suggestion.  I have a full woodshop in my garage for furniture making but I do from time to time want a cnc and/or laser cutter.  I will have to save up a few projects and do this myself. :)

For the OP with a cab it sounds like he has bought most of the tools so I can probably best offer advice/suggestions/etc on how to actually accomplish what he wants. :)

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #103 on: August 21, 2015, 03:55:35 pm »
Yeah he's been doing pretty good on his own, i offered the same.  Tools etc, but this wont be his last one i bet.  I amassed my tool collection from my first build, and havent stopped since.

Artwork is 1st class though....very nice progress.

EvilNuff

• Offline Offline
« Reply #104 on: August 21, 2015, 03:56:53 pm »
Agreed, the artwork is really impressive.  I actually might want to build something similar just because of the art to be honest. :)

Pauly

• Offline Offline
« Reply #105 on: August 23, 2015, 01:04:21 am »
Thanks guys, I appreciate the comments on the art! This project has been addicting and I am actually a little sad that it's coming close to an end. So....must do another of course!

I'll post new pictures soon where there is more significant progress. Right now the speaker grills are bothering me because they are 1 inch in depth which make the look HUGE and a little distracting on the cabinet. Not a fan.

It's cool to see so many local guys here. I may check into Makerspace in Carrolton. I might actually have been there at one point of time for a VR Meetup.
Pauly

scoodidabop

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:38:30 pm
« Reply #106 on: August 24, 2015, 06:14:48 pm »
Man, I gotta visit you guys more often.  I've really fallen off my forum game!

Anyway I did that "Smash Fighter" build.  Glad you liked it!  Borrowed heavily from ChanceKJ and his amazing work of course.  The only major modification I made was some adjustments to his side templates since I found his original design put the control panel at around 40" off the ground.  I extended the screen bezel area some to accommodate a 16:10 screen and lowered the control panel area to around 37" off the ground. 

While I'm not a huge fan of the book your RPO artwork is flippin awesome!  Love it! Can't wait to see your build completed.

EDIT: +1 for Hypespin.  It can be a pain but once you learn it it's not so bad and you can get some neat customization going.  I love it! 
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 06:16:36 pm by scoodidabop »

Pauly

• Offline Offline
« Reply #107 on: August 25, 2015, 05:58:40 pm »
Man, I gotta visit you guys more often.  I've really fallen off my forum game!

Anyway I did that "Smash Fighter" build.  Glad you liked it!  Borrowed heavily from ChanceKJ and his amazing work of course.  The only major modification I made was some adjustments to his side templates since I found his original design put the control panel at around 40" off the ground.  I extended the screen bezel area some to accommodate a 16:10 screen and lowered the control panel area to around 37" off the ground. 

While I'm not a huge fan of the book your RPO artwork is flippin awesome!  Love it! Can't wait to see your build completed.

EDIT: +1 for Hypespin.  It can be a pain but once you learn it it's not so bad and you can get some neat customization going.  I love it!

Thanks for the artwork props. This is awesome! Both Chance and scoodidabop (The creator of Smash Fighter) paid my post a visit. Probably should scratch that off my BYOAC bucket list (Sorry to be geeking out).

I removed approximately 2" from the panels as well. I had my kids try to place their hands on the control panel and it seemed a little high. Can't have that!

Also, Hyperspin is the way to go for me. I think I have a hold of it now and it's all about configuring the son of a gun which I do in the evening.
Pauly

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
« Reply #108 on: August 25, 2015, 06:02:39 pm »
Also, Hyperspin is the way to go for me.

Attaboy Pauly!

scoodidabop

• Offline Offline
« Reply #109 on: August 25, 2015, 07:02:02 pm »

Thanks for the artwork props. This is awesome! Both Chance and scoodidabop (The creator of Smash Fighter) paid my post a visit. Probably should scratch that off my BYOAC bucket list (Sorry to be geeking out).

I removed approximately 2" from the panels as well. I had my kids try to place their hands on the control panel and it seemed a little high. Can't have that!

Also, Hyperspin is the way to go for me. I think I have a hold of it now and it's all about configuring the son of a gun which I do in the evening.

Good move chopping the cabinet down some.  It's looking nice!

Get some Hyperlaunch bezels set up and some HLSL CRT emulation.  Adding game manuals in Hyperpause is pretty fun too. I use MESS on many of the home consoles for the added HLSL effect.   Oh btw I have a Future Pinball Hyperspin pack that I'll upload over there soon in case you use that emulator. I have a couple hours worth of work remaining on getting the art assets cut out.  It's about 150 tables of videos, wheel art, etc with about 50 dedicated themes.

The art on your cabinet is great! I can get some decent collages going but that's about it for my photoshop skillset. 

Did you get your buttons yet? Paradise Arcade had a major move and I had some huge delays with them.  Original ship date was late June (before they moved) which was pushed to early August, which was then pushed to... well... hopefully this week.  Susan is really nice about it but they're a bit slower than usual right now.  Just keep that in mind if you haven't ordered those buttons and RGB LEDs yet.

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
« Reply #110 on: August 25, 2015, 07:31:13 pm »
Bryan and Susan at PA have always been extremely good to me :) Sorry to hear they left the islands for the mainland. I assume that means less chocolate in my orders ;)

Its cool that you guys modified the plans for the height. I don't think the world would take too kindly to me if I produced any offspring, so i didn't bother.  :laugh:

If you need a second choice for buttons, its a little expensive, but Groovy Game Gear sells a clear version of the CLASSX, they aren't shown on the site, so you'll need to email and ask. AND if you want the same effect as the IL's from PA you'll need to order both the clear and a set of black ones as its not economically viable for them to swap parts. I know they have the "Eclipse" buttons too, but i'm personally not a fan. I'd order them with True-Leaf Pro switches. I tested the same RGB LEDs from PA in a CLASSX i have, and it seemed to fit just fine. It would be expensive, but it would be next level for sure.   ;D

Pauly

• Offline Offline
« Reply #111 on: August 26, 2015, 12:23:33 am »
After some research, I ended up with the IL PSL Translucent Crystal from PA along with the RGB LEDs

However, I made my purchase over the weekend and haven't heard anything from them. Probably going to have to see what the status is soon. I've ordered from them once and it was a pretty great experience. I am sure this move is really messing with their timing.

Also, this might be heresy, not sure...But I purchased some SANWA knockoffs from china...Price was good and if they suck...oh well. YOLO! Lesson learned. Rablack97 pointed out that there were some nice SANWAs on ebay so I did some searching and this is what I landed on.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Arcade-Competition-4-8-Way-LED-Illuminated-Joystick-For-PC-Games-Yellow-Rocker-/201337100610?hash=item2ee0a05942

@ChanceKJ: Groovy Game Gear has some nice stuff, but just out of the range I was willing to spend at this time. I was eyeballing the Electric ICE 2.

@Scoodidabop: I am going to have to look into this Hyperlaunch Bezel thing, sounds cool! BUT...you really got me excited with the HYPERPAUSE...OH MAN...Mortal Kombat Fatality list HERE I COME! Also if your willing to share your hard work on the pinball pack, I am totally willing to embrace it! That is the emulator I am using.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 12:25:28 am by Pauly »
Pauly

scoodidabop

• Offline Offline
« Reply #112 on: August 26, 2015, 06:27:38 pm »

@Scoodidabop: I am going to have to look into this Hyperlaunch Bezel thing, sounds cool! BUT...you really got me excited with the HYPERPAUSE...OH MAN...Mortal Kombat Fatality list HERE I COME! Also if your willing to share your hard work on the pinball pack, I am totally willing to embrace it! That is the emulator I am using.

Those sticks might be cool.  I wonder if you could hack them to incorporate RGB LEDs into them? Hmm... I might buy one and dismantle it.

All those manuals (arcade and console) were still on the HS FTP last time I checked... or maybe the emumovies ftp? Eh, I forget which.  At first I only did home console manuals but decided to go ahead and grab the 4.5gb of MAME arcade manuals too just in case.  The arcade manuals aren't as pretty as the home console manuals of course but occasionally contain some good info nuggets.

I'll put up the pinball pack soon but I can't upload my FP tables to the HS site.  As you probably know all the table file names usually contain SO much info and aren't consistent between table makers so I've shortened all the table names and put the additional version info into the XML instead.  Anyway I'll let you know when I finish and post that pack.

Pauly

• Offline Offline
« Reply #113 on: August 27, 2015, 10:44:45 pm »
My sticks came in and so far, me likey! First off the balltop is much larger than the Paradise Arcade bubble top that comes standard. So, +1 to San-China-wa.

I lit them both sense they were LED's so you could see the difference. The left is Paradise Arcade's LED stick (The LED is in the balltop) and the right is the Chinese Sanwa-ish (LED is in the base)

Here is the balltop difference

And here is the base

Still need to test them to make sure they work. However, I opened it and the grommet on the stick seems to be some sort of clear rubbery thing. It's got a good feel though.

Oh BTW. the cab is now painted. Got to order those decals!

« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 10:50:42 pm by Pauly »
Pauly

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
« Reply #114 on: August 27, 2015, 10:53:14 pm »
Double-angled marquee still in play?

Pauly

• Offline Offline
« Reply #115 on: August 27, 2015, 11:08:06 pm »

It's definitely possible. I pretty much abandoned it, but if you twist my arm........ah screw it. It's in play.

Man, you can convince like no other! ;P
Pauly

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
« Reply #116 on: August 27, 2015, 11:11:38 pm »

It's definitely possible. I pretty much abandoned it, but if you twist my arm........ah screw it. It's in play.

LOL! I don't want to make you do it! I'm just curious. Looking nice thus far. Keep it up.

Pauly

• Offline Offline
« Reply #117 on: August 27, 2015, 11:23:17 pm »

LOL! I don't want to make you do it! I'm just curious. Looking nice thus far. Keep it up.

I thought about it after you mentioned it and to be quite honest, it SORTA bothers me a teensy bit that this is considered a clone. So, I need to do something at least to make it a close cousin.
Pauly

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
« Reply #118 on: August 28, 2015, 03:20:35 am »
The term "clone" doesn't always mean that they look identical, however they do share the same root DNA. ;)

MaikoGarcia

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2015, 05:27:38 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #119 on: August 28, 2015, 04:02:25 am »
It really is a beautiful machine, very similar to ChanceKJ, I'm just about to start building my machine, but the plans are not mine, I do not block anything xD :banghead: :banghead:. keep trying until something decent to me can be built. congratulations on your machine, this being precious. greetings from Latin America.