Main > Project Announcements

READY PLAYER ONE: Arcade Cabinet Build (First Build **ALMOST COMPLETE**)

(1/32) > >>

Pauly:
IT ALL STARTED WHEN...:
I was on Reddit one day doing my daily reading of the front page when I ran into a post on someone building an arcade cabinet for a client of theirs called Smash Fighter (Here is that post). I was instantly inspired looking at his images reading labels where I could find them on where he got these parts. After a week or so of poking around his photos I noticed something he wrote "Cabinet was inspired by Chance's FLYNN's Arcade Cabinet on BYOAC. Did a google search and found this post on these forums which introduced me to the magic of BYOAC  :notworthy:. That was it....hook, line and sinker. Let's do this.

UPDATE 8/12/15 (Landed Design Theme: READY PLAYER ONE)

I have been thinking about this for years. I have owned around 4 arcade cabinets in my life (Galaga '88, Rampage, Tron and Dragon's Lair)...All of them are gone now, except for Dragon's Lair who my children "kinda" think is cool for the novelty, but get bored pretty quick - and I personally don't like playing games alone ALL the time. DL was bought in college and it's hard for me to let it go, but I think it's about time to sell it and make some space for this new build that will get my family & friends involved in the fun..

Artwork:

Early Concept:

INSPIRATION:

* ChanceKJ's FLYNN'S Arcade Cabinet
* Ethan's Smash Fighter Cabinet
GOALS:

* Sell Dragon's Lair to make space - I put a listing on the forum, go check it out!
* Design a Arcade Cabinet for 4 player's (Family and Sleep Overs)
* Use Mala as Front End (Thanks to ChanceKJ for helping me make that decision - I read his horror story of Hyperspin)Using HYPERSPIN, it's just too good to pass up.
* 4 Joysticks, 1 Trackball, 1 Spinner, 1 Pinball Plunger and 7 buttons for Players 1 & 2, 4 for Players 3 & 4

* Light Guns
* Make it BLINKY as crap (I've got two little girls)
* Coin Operated with hidden credit button under cab for each playerCoin button by each player button on top of CP - The price for a coin door in the end wasn't worth it this time around.
* Do it within a year and create memories with my kids
* Have professional print work done using Brad's services (Lucian045)
GAMELIST MUSTS:

* TMNT
* TMNT II
* X-Men
* Captain America and the Avengers
* Street Fighter III
* Mortal Kombat III
* Metal Slug
* Terminator 2 (Gun Game)
* Area 51
* Dragon's Lair I & II
* Space Ace
* Donkey Kong
* Tron
* Pac Man
* Rampage
* Arkanoid
* Crystal Castles
* Marble Madness
* Pinball of some sort
* Dungeons & Dragons
* Killer Instinct
* Wrestlemania
PARTS LIST (As I get them I'll write them in):

* 1 x iPac 4 from Ultimarc
* 1 x PacLED64 from Ultimarc (Going to have to purchase another one...SO MANY LEDs)

* 1 x Ultimarc 3" Pearl Trackball and RGB LED courtesy of Arcadeemulator.net
* 7 x IL Concave Buttons from Paradise Arcade
* 4 x Generic Concave 1-4 Player Buttons from SanStar
* 1 x Generic Pinball Plunger from SanStar
* 1 x LED Joystick from Paradise Arcade
I plan to add to this list, but at the same time I don't want the game amounts to be overwhelming. Mainly I am looking for games that can have up to 4 players, utilizes the spinner, Lightguns and the trackball. If you got ideas of some good ones let me know!

I realize that this list sounds ludicrous, but it's not impossible. I know I should start small, but....nah. This is what I want. I'll deal with the headaches.....removing Hyperspin from the build might be the number headache reducer according to many. Some parts have been ordered and are already on their way. I will document my build and share my knowledge and artwork along the way.  :woot

Thanks for taking the time to read,

- Pauly

Pauly:
While I am at it. Anyone know of any good CnC shops in Dallas, TX area?

johnrt:

--- Quote from: Pauly on June 30, 2015, 02:04:30 pm ---Use Mala as Front End (Thanks to ChanceKJ for helping me make that decision - I read his horror story of Hyperspin)

--- End quote ---
That I have missed. Can you point me in that direction?

vwalbridge:
Hey Pauly! Nice to see that you have decided to take the plunge and build your own arcade! I guarantee it will not be your last. :) 

It looks like you are diving in head first and going all out on your first build. I agree, might as well go big. If you are going to do it....do it the way you want to. It might feel overwhelming at times but it will be worth it.

In my opinion, the woodworking is the hardest part. So its great that you have considered using a CNC shop. Once you get over the "construction" part, that's where it gets easier.

Take your time and make sure the woodworking is perfect. You will thank yourself later.

I'll be following!

--- Quote ---Use Mala as Front End (Thanks to ChanceKJ for helping me make that decision - I read his horror story of Hyperspin)

--- End quote ---

I can't imagine any arcade of mine without Hyperspin. To each his own, but you might want to reconsider this later. Hyperspin can take a good cab and make it a great cab in my opinion.

Hyperspin has a somewhat steep learning curve but you really only set it up once. You can then use that setup on any cab at a later date.

Pauly:

--- Quote from: johnrt on June 30, 2015, 03:17:29 pm ---
--- Quote from: Pauly on June 30, 2015, 02:04:30 pm ---Use Mala as Front End (Thanks to ChanceKJ for helping me make that decision - I read his horror story of Hyperspin)

--- End quote ---
That I have missed. Can you point me in that direction?

--- End quote ---

Sure thing. It's real short, but it was summing up how I was feeling about a week ago when I started working on the software side of the build. I LOVE the look of Hyperspin, it's just so unnecessarily over complicated with the setup and not worth the pain in the end.

Here is his short - F' Hyperspin post.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version